CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think something is wrong with the Fathom weighting in Team Arena, I've played 117 games of arena on an alt since August 24th and this is the map breakdown.

aSiGzaW.png

poor fathom

This was just posted by a pretty big youtuber. We can expect it to blow up and get a few hundred thousand views in a few days. 

Personally I'm pretty split on whatever message this video is trying to send -- I agree that 343i deserves a lot of criticism for the way they've approached Halo but I'm not sure if this video conveys it effectively at all. And more importantly, it seems as though it's just ragging on random shit that 343i does differently than Bungie (that E3 showcase thing...who gives a fuck?) and mixing it in with legitimate criticisms (the big ones being MCC and lack of H5 splitscreen). 

Also seems like it's trying to paint Bungie as these angelic developers who can't make a mistake because they were so "passionate" or whatever. It's weird revisionist history when the H2 cliffhanger is being portrayed as this amazing thing when it got SO much hate back then, idk. 

Thoughts?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Where's all the Reach interviews? J/K, but to me the video made me feel like Bungie had the right mindset and asked the right questions when making their game "the game needs to be fun before being pretty". On the other hand, it's easy to cherry pick snippets of interviews to make 343 look bad to suit your agenda. Even so, we all know what happened with The 4, MCC, and H5 so it's not like it was far from the truth.

It was all sticking, and evading

That's what I liked about it, but I always loved trying to stick people.

bungie vs 343 is literally who makes the least mistakes, not even who does something better.

• Upvote (+1) 4

1. Yes, Bungie lost their way by time they left the series. I do not want them to return and I was glad that they are gone.
  2. Though they at least made some legendary games before they went another route with Reach. Yes, Bungie lost their way but unlike 343, they still gave us something special in return.

I really hope MS hires another developer to re-attempt MCC on PC. We deserve that much.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1. Yes, Bungie lost their way by time they left the series. I do not want them to return and I was glad that they are gone.
  2. Though they at least made some legendary games before they went another route with Reach. Yes, Bungie lost their way but unlike 343, they still gave us something special in return.

i know im in the minority on here but i get a lot of enjoyment out of reach still. not saying bungie didnt fuck it up, they did but i still like the game.

i know im in the minority on here but i get a lot of enjoyment out of reach still. not saying bungie didnt fuck it up, they did but i still like the game.

Oh I did too. I played a shit ton of Halo 4 as well. I got to Hero rank in Reach and was close to whatever the next rank was by time H4 released. H5 is the first Halo game that I dropped almost immediately.  I never liked armor abilities, bloom, and ordnance drops but I still found the games bearable to play. ADS, aim acceleration, and OP autos were the last straw for me. There's only so much I can take.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lets talk about skill gap.

Had some guy talking crap about Halo. He was a Cod fan boy. I would nornally let him troller away under mute but I was bored. Ended up playing a few 1v1s on H5 and Cod. Now I haven't played Cod in a while. But I am okay at the game. Fps skills do transition over after all, well to an extent.

Halo 5 1v1s

Slayer Br only. Won 25-0

Slayer Default. Won 25-6

Swat Br. Won 15-12

He then demanded I play him on cod. After updating my Cod. Played him on that.

Deathmatch any weapons. Won 25-12

Deathmatch Subs only. Won 25-15

Deathmatch snipers only. Won 25-7

Conclusion

H5 has a skill gap. Even though Ar start decreases that in some ways.

Swat 1v1s is a terrible idea.

Cods skill gap is a lot smaller. Kill time to fast. Probably why it's popular, new players get faster quicker etc.

So nothing new (I'm still bored)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh I did too. I played a shit ton of Halo 4 as well. I got to Hero rank in Reach and was close to whatever the next rank was by time H4 released. H5 is the first Halo game that I dropped almost immediately.  I never liked armor abilities, bloom, and ordnance drops but I still found the games bearable to play. ADS, aim acceleration, and OP autos were the last straw for me. There's only so much I can take.

yeah i feel like the entire sandbox dynamic has been flipped around too much, like you can just run around with autos and be successful, in older games including reach it didnt work that way, combat now has a generic feel to it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lmao at the part where Bungie talking about the intricacies of river design is compared to OH-OH-OH-OH-PIZZUUUUHHH.

Ditto for the joke about breaking down Halo's core and making it into Black Ops 3.

No, Bungie weren't angelic and perfect developers.  They've made their fair share of mistakes.  Go ask a diehard Ce fan what they think of Halo 2 and that should be pretty self evident.  But at least Bungie remained largely consistent with their games, and didn't constantly lie to their fanbase or sell broken products.

The amount of mistakes Bungie has made pales in comparison to the amount 343i continues to make again and again.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Bungie went from Halo CE to default Reach in just less than 9 years.

Let's not pretend that outside of features, which we can all agree are a Bungie strong suit, that Bungie were ever particularly good for the Halo franchise. Especially regarding their relationship with the game's competitive fanbase and scene; something they always treated as a humourous oddity at best and with outright derision at worst.

YES YES YES.

This so much. I just dont understand how you cannot be involved with your game that pretty much defined eSports on the console.

Oh and Bungie didn't learn from their mistakes either. They admitted SMG starts were a bad idea after several years of H2, yet made the same mistake with H3 from the beginning (if we're pulling quotes let's not forget the time Jaime Griesemer called it "the ultimate starting weapon"). Then the H3 BR spread somehow becomes a reticle bloom effect intended to force players to regulate their fire rate that instead had us all just spamming as hard as possible because letting the bloom reset resulted in impossibly long kill times anyway so it was better to just teamshoot or risk it at the highest rate of fire.

With 343 I can think of 2.5 million reasons they're better for the competitive players out there and their game to game track record is actually positive for the first time in franchise history. Then if we look at the fact that they're pretty happy with H5 (regardless of whether it's ideal in anyone's personal opinion or not) and intend to build on it rather than overhaul it completely for each new release we might begin to see something resembling consistency from one title to the next.

Bungie got lucky in that their first game was great and their second pioneered console matchmaking but it more or less downhill from there. 343 on the other hand got off to a rough start but actually seem capable of improving (however slowly) as they go. I can wait a few more years to see where we end up before I feel like trying to state with certainty which studio was better for Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If there's another comparison we could make, that would be comparing 343i to the Coalition. Both had the very hard task of taking over a big franchise and they used two different approaches even though both wanted to achieve the same goal: Start fresh. The big difference to me lies in the fact that 343i canged Halo's core mechanics while the Coalition left GOW's intact. Both are offering new characters, new enemies, new gametypes, new tools etc. and that's great to keep things going forward, fun and compelling, but at the end of the day, players want a Halo game and a Gears of War game respectively and changing core mechanics is not the best way to provide that.

Of course Gears 4 isn't even out yet (there's plenty of material and a beta to judge from though) and I would lie if I said that I don't enjoy playing Halo 5, but I'm 100% sure I would have preferred if 343i used the Coalition's approach. Just imagine how good Halo 5 would be stripped of all the new mechanics...

• Upvote (+1) 4

This was just posted by a pretty big youtuber. We can expect it to blow up and get a few hundred thousand views in a few days. 

Personally I'm pretty split on whatever message this video is trying to send -- I agree that 343i deserves a lot of criticism for the way they've approached Halo but I'm not sure if this video conveys it effectively at all. And more importantly, it seems as though it's just ragging on random shit that 343i does differently than Bungie (that E3 showcase thing...who gives a fuck?) and mixing it in with legitimate criticisms (the big ones being MCC and lack of H5 splitscreen). 

Also seems like it's trying to paint Bungie as these angelic developers who can't make a mistake because they were so "passionate" or whatever. It's weird revisionist history when the H2 cliffhanger is being portrayed as this amazing thing when it got SO much hate back then, idk. 

Thoughts?

My thoughts?  

1. Very shocked they have not removed this from the front page of r/halo - that's 343 fanboy city. 

2. 343 released the worst Halo ever made (H4) then took my money and knowingly released a game they knew would not work (MCC).  On top of that, they have failed to even support the title.  Fast forward to the worst campaign ever (H5) and what have they really given us?  

In my opinion, 343 deserves all the negative feedback they get.  All they had to do was delay the MCC, or be honest about it, fix it and COMMUNICATE with the fan base.  Instead, they placed all their bets on Halo 5 pre-orders and dropped MCC altogether.  They are so focused on the "modern shooter" dynamic that they have forsaken what makes Halo Halo.  

Without Bungie, 343 would not even exist. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Just look at what happened with Destiny. Bungie was certainly on a downward path with Halo and they haven't gotten much better. 343 coming to Halo is a great example of "be careful what you wish for" though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Between completing this and the killing clambering enemies commendation, I think I can die happy.

ng1jghP.png

I'm legit jealous. I have neither of those.  I DO have my strongholds victories though, so maybe you need some more BTB in your life with your Beyond fam.

Watch that icon be for Agressive Expansion and make me look dumb for not looking it up.

I'm legit jealous. I have neither of those.  I DO have my strongholds victories though, so maybe you need some more BTB in your life with your Beyond fam.

Watch that icon be for Agressive Expansion and make me look dumb for not looking it up.

Aggressive Expansion's the one with three strongholds on the icon. But I do need these two commendations completed. Might need to get a BTB fam-fest rolling.  No way in hell I'm doing them in normal Arena, given that just pushes me to the idea of jumping off of a bridge.