CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Maybe next time (just got your invite).

Replaying the campaign to try and learn Helljumper.

oh god good luck.  I tried a while back and just couldn't do it. Especially with snipe.

#343Logic: "Guys, the competitive community loves extraction, it is probably the most accepted thing that we added to halo, should we put it in Halo 5?" 

"No, just give them them assault on Tyrant instead." 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I dunno if this was posted or where to post this, but I don't care. Every time I see something like this it reminds me how great community halo has.

I dunno if this was posted or where to post this, but I don't care. Every time I see something like this it reminds me how great community halo has.

Yeah, installation 01 is gonna be lit once it comes out for beta.

They still have a long way to go, but THANK GOD they went with the classic route

• Upvote (+1) 2

Of course not, didn't you watch the video? Did you not notice I was playing old school settings as well as evolved settings in the video? Both with 120% movement speed.

The problem is, that based on the waypoint thread 343 made (found in video description) they appear to have no intention of changing movement speed or anything else.

I did my due diligence.

I'd love it if they used the Evolved settings instead. It would also show people we don't just want the same old style of gameplay, and that you don't need sprint for the game to be fast paced (this should already be obvious).

Hey guys. I decided to make use of the Spartan Companies for the Evolved Settings so that way it's a bit easier to find groups of people to play these settings with others who want to play.

I know it's going to be rather difficult to build up this group due to the fact that there are people in Spartan Companies for the Achilles grind, but that's okay. Hopefully over time we can find people to join just to play customs who don't care about Achilles or anything like that, or already have it for that matter. So much easier than just sifting through mass amounts of friends lists to find games.

Request to join the Evolved Customs Spartan Company.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's insane that even in alpha this game still looks better than anything 343 has put out. All it takes is a good eye for art style to make a game look good, not throwing a lot of money/pixels at it.

• Upvote (+1) 7

It's insane that even in alpha this game still looks better than anything 343 has put out. All it takes is a good eye for art style to make a game look good, not throwing a lot of money/pixels at it.

Lol, even the damn grass irritates me in Halo 5. I know limitations and all, but for once I would love a map with a luscious field of grass with a nice shade of Green.

Also, it's nice to see the old Forerunner art style these days without 343's new take on it. Always preferred Bungie's art style for them.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Not sure if you watched the vid. But at least those games sandbox were designed around the game itself.

These classic settings will be even worse. Utilizing a sandbox from a completely different game entirely. Also they are trying to use the halo 5 CE magnum on CE remakes.... it will be horrible.

Despite 3s faults, I think it was a great game. People enjoyed it for a reason and even though it's not the most competitive game, I think it's core pieces were really strong. And I think it's a formula with a lot of potential (especially with a better utility weapon and a consistent online experience)

Personally I don't think there's been a "perfect halo sandbox". I think each game has had room for improvement.

I watched the video and I have to say that you certainly have good points.

If 343I uses H3 BR and Halo One Pistol on remakes with default 100% movement and strafe I definitely don't see the classic playlist doing well.

And yeah, the H5 sandbox issues are often a hot topic of discussion and debate in our Evolved discord chat. We are clearly aware of the issue, as it certainly isn't perfect right now because of that.

Things like the BR becoming an OP 3sk, the zoom on the Sword and Shotgun, plus high magnetism and/or tracking are on our list of things that we wish we could tweak. Also the weird H5 aiming.

That being said, Evolved strikes a cool balance with certain weapons. The Magnum is your spawning utility with the AR backup, most power weapons are self-explanatory, and a couple of my favorite examples are the Light Rifle and Brute Plasma Rifle.

The LR doesn't gain any clear killtime buff in Evolved (its the only Rifle that doesn't), but it now does enough damage with 1 shot in scope to allow you to 2sk the weakened enemy with the Magnum or even the LR's own unscoped shots. This makes the LR a great long-range support mini sniper while still retaining the default 3sk scoped/4sk unscoped killtimes.

The BPR is also particularly known for being great at shoot+melee combos, and does it better than the Storm Rifle IMO since it doesn't have as much spread.

And the increased movement speed and strafe accel certainly help to mitigate the high magnetism and tracking on certain weapons. The H5 snipe is still ridiculous, but you can at least put a little pressure on it right now. The Needler, Plasma Pistol, and Boltshot/Suppressor tracking isn't so bad considering you move fast enough to easily cause the shots to track you into a piece of cover.

But nonetheless, we still wish we could perfect it further.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You want to see the movement skill gap in action? Tune in to a pro Halo stream, hell just watch Frosty. 99% of players don't move like that and you definitely see that difference just climbing up through Onyx.

correct, Danoxide and Naded are also ridiculous in terms of map movement.  I honestly don't get the Evolved settings; removing sprint is fine, but the movement abilities in H5 are competitive and make the game something more than just the same "Team BRs" I've been playing since 2004.  Apparently it would be cliche of me to say that if I wanted to play older Halos, I would just play older Halos, but ... yeah

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 7

I watched the video and I have to say that you certainly have good points.

If 343I uses H3 BR and Halo One Pistol on remakes with default 100% movement and strafe I definitely don't see the classic playlist doing well.

And yeah, the H5 sandbox issues are often a hot topic of discussion and debate in our Evolved discord chat. We are clearly aware of the issue, as it certainly isn't perfect right now because of that.

Things like the BR becoming an OP 3sk, the zoom on the Sword and Shotgun, plus high magnetism and/or tracking are on our list of things that we wish we could tweak. Also the weird H5 aiming.

That being said, Evolved strikes a cool balance with certain weapons. The Magnum is your spawning utility with the AR backup, most power weapons are self-explanatory, and a couple of my favorite examples are the Light Rifle and Brute Plasma Rifle.

The LR doesn't gain any clear killtime buff in Evolved (its the only Rifle that doesn't), but it now does enough damage with 1 shot in scope to allow you to 2sk the weakened enemy with the Magnum or even the LR's own unscoped shots. This makes the LR a great long-range support mini sniper while still retaining the default 3sk scoped/4sk unscoped killtimes.

The BPR is also particularly known for being great at shoot+melee combos, and does it better than the Storm Rifle IMO since it doesn't have as much spread.

And the increased movement speed and strafe accel certainly help to mitigate the high magnetism and tracking on certain weapons. The H5 snipe is still ridiculous, but you can at least put a little pressure on it right now. The Needler, Plasma Pistol, and Boltshot/Suppressor tracking isn't so bad considering you move fast enough to easily cause the shots to track you into a piece of cover.

But nonetheless, we still wish we could perfect it further.

I never thought a move speed increase is necessary, but a higher strafe acceleration is always nice.

correct, Danoxide and Naded are also ridiculous in terms of map movement.  I honestly don't get the Evolved settings; removing sprint is fine, but the movement abilities in H5 are competitive and make the game something more than just the same "Team BRs" I've been playing since 2004.  Apparently it would be cliche of me to say that if I wanted to play older Halos, I would just play older Halos, but ... yeah

Have you played the Evolved settings? I wish people would stop getting this false notion that we want this game to play like Halo 2 or whatever the false impression may be. If you had actually played these settings you'd know that It plays absolutely nothing like any of the older Halos. It honestly feels like a new game altogether. The speed along with the strafing keeps the games extremely fast paced. 

And for the love of god, enough with the cliche "If you want to play older Halo, just go play the older games" line. It's old, tiring, and completely irrelevant to anyone's point.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I feel you. I saw Naded do a wall-thrust up the rock on Blue Corner at the start of a Coli match to secure kills on enemies going for the rockets. Things like that make H5 very interesting, and it seems as if new movement options open up frequently on streams or in high level matches. I'm sure there are even more movement based options that haven't become popular yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

oh god good luck. I tried a while back and just couldn't do it. Especially with snipe.

It's going pretty well. Will be a true test in Arena, though.

I feel you. I saw Naded do a wall-thrust up the rock on Blue Corner at the start of a Coli match to secure kills on enemies going for the rockets. Things like that make H5 very interesting, and it seems as if new movement options open up frequently on streams or in high level matches. I'm sure there are even more movement based options that haven't become popular yet.

I love the thrust, what i dont like is that you can't shoot while sprinting/clambering.

Yeah, installation 01 is gonna be lit once it comes out for beta.

They still have a long way to go, but THANK GOD they went with the classic route

Didn't say explicitly say that they are trying to create a mix of classic and 343? Calling it "classic" is a bit of a stretch I'm afraid

Also, it's nice to see the old Forerunner art style these days without 343's new take on it. Always preferred Bungie's art style for them.

I'll be the first to criticize 343's "forerunner" art style but just because something doesn't follow 343's design doesn't mean it is a classic/Bungies art style...

the towers on that valhalla-like map don't really look like a traditional forerunner building at all tbh...

and the AR suffers from some similar issues as 343's designs: too many "details"/nooks/edges that are just there to make it look more complex

Quick question for Astro users.

When using your headset on a PC, is the audio coming out of the voice volume? I cant hear anything from the game volume, but can hear gameplay audio from the voice volume.

The gameplay mixers of my headset works fine while playing Halo 5 for example.

Quick question for Astro users.

When using your headset on a PC, is the audio coming out of the voice volume? I cant hear anything from the game volume, but can hear gameplay audio from the voice volume.

The gameplay mixers of my headset works fine while playing Halo 5 for example.

Yes.

Have you played the Evolved settings? I wish people would stop getting this false notion that we want this game to play like Halo 2 or whatever the false impression may be. If you had actually played these settings you'd know that It plays absolutely nothing like any of the older Halos. It honestly feels like a new game altogether. The speed along with the strafing keeps the games extremely fast paced. 

And for the love of god, enough with the cliche "If you want to play older Halo, just go play the older games" line. It's old, tiring, and completely irrelevant to anyone's point.

I watched an hour of Hard Way's stream, looked precisely like a slightly faster H2-H3 to me, "absolutely nothing like any of the older Halos" might be a stretch

• Downvote (-1) 2

I watched an hour of Hard Way's stream, looked precisely like a slightly faster H2-H3 to me, "absolutely nothing like any of the older Halos" might be a stretch

"Looking like" and "playing like" aren't the same thing at all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hmmm a game sharing similar mechanics to its predecessors? What a strange concept.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Hmmm a game sharing similar mechanics to its predecessors? What a strange concept.

Except no Halo has ever shared many similarities to the former installment.

• Downvote (-1) 6

Except no Halo has ever shared many similarities to the former installment.

And you don't see why that's always been an issue and a huge factor in why this fan base is so divided?
  • Upvote (+1) 5

And you don't see why that's always been an issue and a huge factor in why this fan base is so divided?

The philosophy of making each game unique has made Halo a mammoth of an exclusive franchise. Personally, I welcome the changes of each game. I've never been of the mindset of wanting Halo 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, etc. I can't wrap my mind around why people support a franchise like CoD that largely puts out the same game with the same play on the same engine yearly.

Edit: Variety is the spice of life.

• Downvote (-1) 8