CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

After religiously playing CoD AW and Destiny since launch, H5 feels surprisingly slow and clunky. I didn't notice/care in HCE/H3 since it feels normal in those games, but I honestly thought H5 would be faster pace.

But I liked it.  Nerfs need to occur on AR/SMG, maybe a slight buff on pistol.  Is there a way to use my thruster with the left joystick like CoD AW and not the b button?  Pink 3 is fucken useless in close skill games.  Prophet's bane gives me a headache due to brightness.  

I don't believe in unlimited sprint.  I think a move to a temporary "dash" that stops players eventually would be a ton better than a non-stop sprint.  

No one really believes sprint will go. Is that a reason not to try at least? What do we have to lose?

Everything really.  You have to accept what this game fundamentally is and suggest realistic change to push it in a better direction. 

This game is going to be extremely similar to what it is now when it releases and if you really want anything to change for the better then you need to push for realistic things such as the flinch which has already been slightly addressed.

Both of these maps would have to be completely redone (as well as every other map we'll see I'm sure) if sprint was removed.  That's not happening and you're wasting your effort campaigning for it to go.  You're far better off accepting it and pushing for other things that are realistic like removing the ARs headshot damage or improving the pistol or increasing the cooldown on thrusters, etc.

Everything really.  You have to accept what this game fundamentally is and suggest realistic change to push it in a better direction. 

Nah, we've come to a point where minor improvements don't really matter anymore in the grand scheme of things. If sprint stays I'm done with this game.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nah, we've come to a point where minor improvements don't really matter anymore in the grand scheme of things. If sprint stays I'm done with this game.

That's unfortunate.  Best of luck to you waiting for MCC to never be fixed.

• Downvote (-1) 4

This game is going to be extremely similar to what it is now when it releases and if you really want anything to change for the better then you need to push for realistic things such as the flinch which has already been slightly addressed.

Both of these maps would have to be completely redone (as well as every other map we'll see I'm sure) if sprint was removed.  That's not happening and you're wasting your effort campaigning for it to go.  You're far better off accepting it and pushing for other things that are realistic like removing the ARs headshot damage or improving the pistol or increasing the cooldown on thrusters, etc.

I think the more realistic approach would be a limited sprint instead of the current unlimited sprint.  Allow players only to sprint for like 2-3 seconds followed by a sprint recharge period.

Ranking system is not looking how I thought it would :\

If you have a bad 1 or 2 games in the 10 try out games then you are fucked. Leveling up from then on would take for ever.

Right now, the game seems to be a weird mix of CE & 4, gameplay wise, while looking/feeling like a AW/Destiny copy. 

Base Mechanics/Loadout are similar to H4: AR/Pistol, Resupply, Mobility & Thruster with ground pound, slide, stabilizers, and charge added. 

However, kill times and aim assist are closer to CE than any other game. And they brought back static timers, nadeable weapons, and a good pistol. 

But the visuals/audio are what bother me the most about this game. The awful smart-scope (K, this effects gameplay as well), generic rocket launcher, bro-couragements, and constant beeping scream NOT HALO! to me.

That's unfortunate.  Best of luck to you waiting for MCC to never be fixed.

See, that's the problem...I don't want to stop playing Halo, I love it. I won't be playing Halo 5 and MCC....well I don't think it'll ever be fixed, I think it's done for. I feel like the only chance now is for 343 to release Halo Reach (they've hinted at it) and make that game as good as possible, take out bloom, sprint, make armour abilities pick ups. Something along those line anyway. I feel that could be the last chance of playing Halo now days, unless they do fix MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not totally sure I believe their ranking system. I placed in Pro 16XX after playing my placement matches. I mean, I'm decent at the game, but I don't imagine that I'm top 200 material unless the player pool is that small. Is there a better write up about the ranking system anywhere?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've pretty much been playing the way I played H2-4 and it really feels natural. Only difference is that I just have to change up strategies with the way the game is being played now.

The game to me plays slow. To do well you have to be passive, mainly do to the overpowered automatics, and sprint. That's my main gripe. I think BR starts will help a bunch. If we had no sprint and BR starts I would probably enjoy myself much more, the other new abilities don't bother me.

This video shows what I mean by sprint slowing down the game. About 1-2 mins in I am fighting a guy, and he is trying to run away. Now, the balances to sprint cause him to EVENTUALLY die, however that engagement was much more exaggerated than it would have been without sprint. It slows the game down and makes things frustrating. Remove it.

H5 beta gameplay. Matched walshy.:

• Upvote (+1) 3

If anyone wants to play the beta today, my gt is Th3CodeMan

I've played about 10 games and it seems fun, although there are things that I can see being rage inducing if you are not playing the competitive settings.

I think the more realistic approach would be a limited sprint instead of the current unlimited sprint.  Allow players only to sprint for like 2-3 seconds followed by a sprint recharge period.

That honestly feels like how it's used anyway.  I'm not sure that would change much for the people that really cannot live with sprint.

I'm not totally sure I believe their ranking system. I placed in Pro 16XX after playing my placement matches. I mean, I'm decent at the game, but I don't imagine that I'm top 200 material unless the player pool is that small. Is there a better write up about the ranking system anywhere?

I think there's a problem with the current placing system.  I've seen accounts go 10-0 and like 250 kills/70 deaths and place Gold 1 and 6-4 people with negative k/ds in semi-pro.

IDK how 343 fucks up ELO.

• Upvote (+1) 6

My first hour of Halo 5 was spent learning the controls, fumbling grenades and pressing all the wrong buttons as I tried to get bumper jumper back into muscle memory. (Way too much Destiny prior) My team and I spent the first hour and 45 minutes complaining as we stomped through teams to get to Onyx. Slide was rarely ever used and I've only ever seen one successful ground pound in any of my games. It felt way too over complicated by features up until we started playing against the higher tier players, who wouldn't bother with the cheese moves and would focus on winning and abusing the features. I found myself annoyed after catching many people out in bad positioning, three shots into them and about to deliver that last headshot when they sprint and thrust away to safety which effectively resets the entire fight.

Halo 5 is amazing but it's still got the same frustrating occurrences from H4 and HR, while adding in more features from other games which were also hit and miss. 

I rarely used slide, ground pound, and I turned off Auto-stabilize when aiming because I found it more annoying than helpful.  

I'm not sure how useful spartan charge is, I've only ever seen it used by one person, after 8 attempts he finally killed someone with it so I don't know if it could be good in better hands or just doesn't fit. 

Weapons- (It's hard to give honest feedback on the weapon balance because of flinch and vibration.) But I liked the DMR/BR/Magnum in the beta though. Things will probably change at launch without those.

Big issues:

Vibration?- Edit: Turns out to be an oversight and will be in for launch.

Sprint- I never hopped onto the Anti-sprint bandwagon, I tried to stay optimistic because I enjoy sprint as a movement tool but it turns into an escape tool more so than not and that entirely kills some of the great plays you make, coupled with thrust pack it makes you nearly unkillable if you have even mediocre team shot. 

It won't be removed so I won't ask for it, I think there needs to be a separation between MP and Campaign.

- Campaign should feature the sprint that's currently in the beta, while MP should be nerfed and be more of a dash if anything. 

- MP Sprint should not be able to be used while your shield is hurt in any way and if you get shot it should cancel it, that's really the only way I see it working out. I would settle for not being able to sprint while your shield is down.

Flinch- Flinch has been by far the most frustrating part of the beta for me and I'm glad it's being removed. 

Thrust- I'm really not a fan of it, or at least not a fan of how it's implemented with sprint. Thrust needs a rather long cooldown so you cannot just keep abusing and abusing it. It extends out the kill times way too long and supports bad play and positioning. 

ADS- I enjoy the new scope looks, it hasn't impacted me much and I like it more than the old circle, sorry guys. But I do think the scoping speed needs to be increased.

Clamber- I like it, I just think there needs to be some trick jump/clamber routes added in for increased skill.

AR/SMG- The damage and range is ludicrous and needs to be toned down, I like the AR having more distance than the SMG but when aimed they shouldn't be able to kill you across the map. (Slight exaggeration) lower the damage slightly, increase the spread while aiming and lower the range.

Minor issues: 

-Sniper feels pretty heavy and sluggish, it needs it's fire rate buffed slightly.

-Take the tower sniper out of the map -Empire- and replace it with another weapon, rockets would work. 

- Retro it up and put shotty back bottom mid of Truth to counter sword.

-Add two BR's to each base on Truth and remove the DMR spawn in the window above it. DMR in the bases makes the beginning of the game way too campy.

-Sword is a bit too crazy with sprint and thrust and they allow you to run through a wall of bullets and chase down kills, nerfing them would balance out the sword.

(I'm leaving out loads of things that have already been stated a bunch of times throughout this section.)

Those are the only things that stuck out to me for now, I'll edit and add more as i think of them

With all that being said, I think H5 is a step in the right direction and I'm looking forward to seeing how well the feedback is taken, and how well the game turns out come launch. I look forward to playing WAY more when it's BR Starts. 

Thanks.

~TeMpLaR

PS: Typing this from a phone is beyond annoying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Poll thread will run for the duration of the beta.

Early Access + Preview Program People have gotten to play, people have watched streams, videos, analysis, for weeks. I think people are informed enough to be able to make a decision. Now that the public beta is out and everyone can play we wanted a place for people to vote. If they dont feel comfortable voting yet then they can when they feel comfortable.

Fair enough. It's going to take at least a week before I can give any decent feedback. It's such a different experience

I think there's a problem with the current placing system.  I've seen accounts go 10-0 and like 250 kills/70 deaths and place Gold 1 and 6-4 people with negative k/ds in semi-pro.

IDK how 343 fucks up ELO.

It's not just about how well you do, it's also about how well you do against certain people. You're not going to get anything from stomping on Silver shitters and negative Nancies all day.

It's not just about how well you do, it's also about how well you do against certain people. You're not going to get anything from stomping on Silver shitters and negative Nancies all day.

I played all my games with my friend, we both did the 10 games together, I had a better KDA (but had 10 less kills) than him but was ranked in Onyx and he got put in semi-pro....

Fair enough. It's going to take at least a week before I can give any decent feedback. It's such a different experience

Understandable for sure. It will be up there the whole time so it's not going anywhere :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Batchford and Moa playing Kampy?  :D

We matched him a good half dozen times during the pre-beta. We beat him every time, except maybe once.

Right now, the game seems to be a weird mix of CE & 4, gameplay wise, while looking/feeling like a AW/Destiny copy. 

• Upvote (+1) 1