CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm liking the changes and I've been around since H1. Came to this forum because I ran across a link on twitter QQing about sprint. I like sprint. Halo just feels too slow without it nowadays. I like the movement in general - clambering, thrusting, hovering. Makes you feel bad ass. Ground pound is cool, shoulder charge is cool. Played with several friends tonight and they all agreed that it felt great. Seeing a lot of "THE COMMUNITY HATES SPRINT!!1!" in this forum. Please understand that the "community" is a lot larger than this website. 

• Downvote (-1) 14

I'm liking the changes and I've been around since H1. Came to this forum because I ran across a link on twitter QQing about sprint. I like sprint. Halo just feels too slow without it nowadays. I like the movement in general - clambering, thrusting, hovering. Makes you feel bad ass. Ground pound is cool, shoulder charge is cool. Played with several friends tonight and they all agreed that it felt great. Seeing a lot of "THE COMMUNITY HATES SPRINT!!1!" in this forum. Please understand that the "community" is a lot larger than this website. 

or you could, you know, increase the base movement speed, like everybody is suggesting since forever, so the game is faster, more skill-based, and you don't have to play the Halo version of tag every time an enemy run away. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Pros of this Game

- A lot less Auto Aim with Utility Weapons ( DMR/ BR)

- Aiming is Smooth

- No menu music (probably going to change)
- Ranking System
- Thruster increases skill gap

Cons (Things that need to go)

- With the addition of Descoping in Halo 4, flinch was required. Now that descoping is back, flinch can be thrown into a firy pit.

- No vibration removal option
- Sprint has to be removed, but I do see how they tried to nerf it with the delayed shield recharge rate, however as soon as they start to charge you can sprint.

- Smart Assist for all automatic weapons
- Delay on scoping with the Sniper and DMR
- Not able to YY freely
- A huge delay between switching weapons and being able to use them.
- Grenades are not overpowered I dont think, their radius is just a lot bigger than other Halos.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Just played a ton of games tonight, will make a bigger feedback post when I get more time in but sprint is still a get out of jail free card and combined with thruster its almost ridiculous at this point.  Its the biggest detriment to this game as others have said. Smart-scope(ADS) felt very clunky and out of place on weapons like the BR and DMR, dont like it at all as suspected. Sniper RoF needs to be buffed, flinch needs to go, and sprint needs to go(buff base movement speed and allow shooting while thrusting to compensate) if this game has any chance of being good competitively.

The fact that its called an "Arena Multiplayer Beta" is almost comical to someone who has been playing Arena FPS for 12+years as its shits all over the core movement and shooting concepts of said genre. Again I end up asking myself as I am aiming down the blocky sights of my BR, chasing a no-shield enemy around P2/P1 for 30 seconds, and playing on a gigantic version of Midship called Sprintship 2.0..."Who was this game made for"?? I end up answering, "Not core Halo MP players." Which again has been the theme of the last 4+years now and the core problem. 343 has again tried to "straddle the line" between the core Halo MP fan-base and the MMS audience when those two Arenas mixed together has proved failure for the Halo franchise time and time again, yet here we are with another compromised Halo game that will probably fail to meet both audiences expectations once again. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

The competitive community hates sprint. It's just not a competitive concept. I think we understand that the community is far larger than just us, we just get neglected a fair bit, aand a competitive game is usually fun aswell.

After about 50 games I feel ready to post my opinion on Halo 5. So far I’m Onyx II and have been playing well. Overall I’ve enjoyed the game but my enjoyment went down the more I played it.  Get ready for a novel because this is going to be long, I’ve been adding to this since the beta went live and I’m just about to go to bed now which is why I’m posting this. 

Spartan Abilities:

Smart Scope- The aiming just doesn’t feel right when zoomed it, it is by far my biggest gripe with the game. I don’t like scoping in with the BR at all, it feels so foreign and I just plain suck at it.  You can say what you want about the last sentence but know that I’ve stuck to Halo for a reason, I don’t like the shooting mechanics of other games. The Sniper is okay, though the zoom in time is really long. I also get weird visual glitches when zooming in occasionally. Please give us the option to toggle between “Smart Scope” and “Traditional Scope” make both function the same and be available on both guns just have one not have a large portion of your screen being blocked.

Sprint- My second biggest gripe with the game, it still isn’t balanced. All I use it for is to run away when I’m about to die and it’s very easy to do so, especially with Thruster. It’s already getting to the point where I get frustrated if I can’t get away because 9/10 times I do.  It just doesn’t belong in 4v4, if the movement speed was upped the maps would be fine, just please at least let us test it.

Charge- I’ve used this once and it was on accident, I meant to thrust past a guy and shoulder charged him and he died. Must have had low shields. I’ve had this attempted on me numerous times but I was only hit with it once and I still managed to kill the guy. I don’t see the point of this.  

Slide- Haven’t used it or seen it used. Don’t see the point of this

Thruster- Love it, it is way too much along with Sprint but there is a real skill gap involved in using it unlike Sprint.

Ground Pound- Didn’t think I would like it but I was wrong, I do. Any time I’ve used it in the wrong situation I’ve been punished. Very useful for lifting up into the bases on Truth.

Stabilizers- I’m not really sure how I feel about these, I know they can be used to make some cool jumps but otherwise I rarely see them used. Will have to spend more time with it but I’m leaning towards it being pretty much useless like Charge and Slide.

Clamber- I actually enjoyed clamber I wish that it was a bit harder and you saw more people failing clambers, just seems far too easy right now.

Guns:

Pistol- Love everything about it besides the scope, even worse than the BR in that category.

AR- It’s just a bit too strong right now, the range and kill time need a slight nerf.  Being melted from an AR from Pink Tower to base on Truth is silly, I understand it needing some range but it shouldn’t be able to shoot across the map like that.

SMG- Same with the AR, this is supposed to be a short range weapon but it doesn’t seem like that when scoped in. Kill time is fine the range is just to big.

BR- Love everything about it other than the scope.

DMR- Same as above.

Sniper- Scoping takes too long, RoF needs an increase, and it’s still ugly as hell.

Prophets Bane- I see no problem with it.

Maps:

Truth- My only complaint about Truth is you can’t see the other players. They blend in so well with the color pallet it makes it really hard to see them, especially from far away. Blue team seems a bit harder to spot, but I’ve lost red players inside of red base because they were standing right next to the wall.

Empire- I still haven’t played enough to have a real solid opinion on this map, the lines of sight are really awkward though.

Ranking System: I personally haven’t had a problem with it but it seems to be a bit off for others. A friend I was playing with for the first 10 games was placed in Silver despite having the same record as me and my other friend, I was placed in Onyx I and he was in Gold 3. My KDA was a bit better than theirs but they had pretty much identical stats. We later saw a player with 13 games who was in Onyx 3 despite only being 188-155. Going in alone is my only complaint, never seem to get fair teams.

Other stuff:

-Don't like the announcer

-Why can't I turn off Vibration?

-Why can't I move when checking the scoreboard?

I had to delete my section on Flinch as it has already been removed, thank you for that it’s the first step in the right direction. Just give me a toggle for Smart Scope and at least CONSIDER giving us a Sprint Free Beta, to see how the game plays without it.

That's your biggest issue with the beta...? The old coach mayne that told it like it was, was much better than this 'I met 343i and don't want to shit on them constantly' person. Not saying it's not understandable but you are one of the few people in the community and twittersphere along with lemon and cT that gets a free pass to say negative shit because of your credibility 

O Trust me, I'll be posting my thoughts about the beta in the main feedback thread within the following weeks. I just can't stand playing with Vibe, too me its something that I am not use to but Halo5 does NOT Feel like a Halo game. More on that later. my ava is a refection on where I think the direction of Halo is going, as in I'm confused and it sucks. I have spent many hours readings these forums Pre-beta release as someone who has not played the beta and I was trying to give 343 the benefit of the doubt with what they were trying to do. 343 is trying to appeal to everyone, in my opinion it doesn't work, causal, hardcore, cod community etc. Guys like Saucey, LittleMoa, Cyren and a couple others were on point with their feedback. By the way, I'm playing on Default setting so 343 already hooked me into the "CoD" movement.  I have played 11 games thus far and thus happened in my 2nd. game xboxdvr.com/CoachMayyne/9a4131cf-1b47-4936-a84b-e814c3bf40c6 I felt like I was cheating when I did this and felt bad for those players. 

Sprint still sucks and has always sucked since 2010. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Define broken

Frequently have to quit out because it won't find people in matchmaking if someone drops while searching. Can't back out so have to dashboard and quit the game.

This game is legitimately good. One day worth of playing and I would rank it higher than Halo 3 without a second thought.

That being said, here are my issues with it.

-SMG is too accurate at range when zoomed in. It is a legitimate power weapon in this game without question

-AR is too accurate at range when zoomed, though it isn't as bad as the SMG. It is much better than BR/DMR at close range, and it can compete cross map with them. Decrease accuracy when zoomed in (though I do think zooming should improve accuracy on some degree).

-Sprint is too fast. Getting shot should slow you down more than it does. Halo 4 it wasn't dramatic enough and it is less dramatic in this game. It's more useful to run away despite delaying your shields.

-Removing sprint needs to be a custom option

-Auto Stabilize needs to be removed. You should have to do it manually

-Auto grapple needs to be removed. You should have to do it manually

-Vertical grapple should be nerfed. You can essentially get anywhere from anywhere with a jump+grapple, meaning it has the same problem as jetpack did

-Empire needs some of the clutter removed. You often get caught on geometry.

-Empire should be side specific to allow spawn trapping. Currently, split spawns are too common (leading to lucky flanks or unluckily getting stranded from your team) and games last too long.

-Truth needs shrunk by about 10%

-Sniper unscoped auto aim needs reduced

-Thrust cooldown needs increased (too useful to run away)

-New sword is broken. Shouldn't have the increased speed. Sword plus sprint is already broken in H4 and that had more stun from getting shot.

-Should not be able to sprint indefinitely like you can.

-DMR scope takes up too much of the screen and forces tunnel vision

-Game is way too fucking dark.

Glitches:

-Netcode needs work

-Kill cams don't always function correctly

-Sometimes need to dashboard and reset beta because you get stuck

That being said, here is what is good about the game:

-The gunplay doesn't suck anymore. Weapons feel powerful, while also being hard to aim. No weapon is useless at the moment.

-The AR is now a legitimate weapon at close and medium range, allowing it to be used in a separate niche from AR/BR but not guaranteeing you are going to lose past close range. However, as stated before, it has too little spread when zoomed

-Spartan abilities like sliding, thrusting, and stablilizing allow require more thought and understanding. They increase the power of the individual on a fundemental basis and allow interesting angles and wow moments.

-The BR and DMR are satisfying to use and you feel like you can turn on someone and outshoot them even when they get first shot

-Melees are not super clunky

-Snipe Auto aim when zoomed in is a good level (though unzoomed Auto aim is way too high)

-The pistol is a functional and useful weapon that is not outclassed by the rest of the sandbox while still functioning like a sidearm

-The maps are both moderately well designed (even if it is just Midship 2.0 and Anchor 9 2.0)

-Nothing feels like a gimmick (except ground pound which is fine because it is situational)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's your biggest issue with the beta...? The old coach mayne that told it like it was, was much better than this 'I met 343i and don't want to shit on them constantly' person. Not saying it's not understandable but you are one of the few people in the community and twittersphere along with lemon and cT that gets a free pass to say negative shit because of your credibility 

Every night I  :prayers: for the coach of old to return. 

343 dont get it. The more abilties you put into the game the more people are going to spam and abuse them. When there was action on my side my teammates use sprint and thrust away and i had to clean up their mess. When there was no gun fights they were  sprinting for no reason and ground pounding. Basically masturbating to their own abilites.  Where is the 1v1 epic fights. That feeling when you out BR someone or get a headshot from the sniper. Why is people not strafing in this game? Halo 5 what are you?

Sad to see last night (on the first night of the Beta) that H5 wasnt even in the top 8 games being watched on twitch.

Literally there were 5k people watching Halo (even while Ninja was streaming).

Good job 343 - you really know what u are doing!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Anyone else disappointed with H5 ATM ?

I'd have at least some fun if my games weren't always constantly laggy. I just put an entire AR clip into someone and they didn't die which is strange because that thing is super OP generally.

Played my first proper game.

Quit after two minutes. I started moving around the map, then tried to use my exosuit like in Advanced Warfare by reflex for some reason. Had to look up the control scheme, tried all the different control schemes, not a single one felt natural. 

Decided to play anyway, picked up the sniper, got a sniper spree then got triple AR charged from sprinters that came to me before I even knew the map layout.

Might give it a go when I'm in a more open minded mood but the fact that I literally felt like I was playing Advanced Warfare disgusted me so much that I can't handle it tonight. This is terrible.

I've already gone back to MCC, to go back to broken game says a lot. However this Friday, it's BRs should be better.

• Upvote (+1) 1