CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I don't see what's so complicated about the ranking system. You play against people, and if you beat higher ranked people, you move up more than someone else that has the same amount of wins but played against poorer competition.

I wonder if they could actually create an "immersion" medal for Halo? What would you have to do to earn it?

Sprint!

Halo 5 is so immersive that when you start a game you just get the medal instantly.

Whoever has any direct contact with people from 343 need to begin a full on assault for no sprint. The game could honestly be great without it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't see what's so complicated about the ranking system. You play against people, and if you beat higher ranked people, you move up more than someone else that has the same amount of wins but played against poorer competition.

I think the problem is the 10 games you have to play to get ranked. I think this needs to be upped to maybe 20 or even higher. 10 games just isn't enough to properly analyze a players skill level. That's why I'm seeing some players ranked Onyx and Semi-Pro who are atrocious. Hopefully it was set to only 10 games because its a beta.

In other news tonight, polls still open, Clamber continues to lose its margin slowly, now at 58%. We will keep you up to date with the latest ongoing news here through out the election night.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the problem is the 10 games you have to play to get ranked. I think this needs to be upped to maybe 20 or even higher. 10 games just isn't enough to properly analyze a players skill level. That's why I'm seeing some players ranked Onyx and Semi-Pro who are atrocious. Hopefully it was set to only 10 games because its a beta.

I think so too. Maybe in the final release there will be more.

It also seems like where you are placed moves too slowly up or down for wins and losses. That may explain players with horrible W/L and KD being high ranks. Their initial placement was high do to some lucky placements, and now the game is taking too long for them to de-rank.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think so too. Maybe in the final release there will be more.

It also seems like where you are placed moves too slowly up or down for wins and losses. That may explain players with horrible W/L and KD being high ranks. Their initial placement was high do to some lucky placements, and now the game is taking too long for them to de-rank.

That sounds about right.

I used to think that. Now I think a little differently. I think Quinn really does have a desire to see Halo return to competitive gaming. But I think the studio lacks understanding of Halo at the core. (I just chalk this down to they never really liked Halo and just decided it was just another FPS and never bothered to learn how it was different.)

One of their employees told us that no one has been able to articulate why sprint is bad. I don't blame him for not frequenting these forums where he would have learned. But I do blame 343 not having ANYONE in their studios that could articulate why sprint is bad.

We were also told that they saw immersion as a key reason to include sprint into MP. This demonstrated that they don't understand how to apply immersion properly. Immersion for arena game play is very different than it is for campaign. Their explanation works for campaign, but it shows they don't see the basic difference between the two and are applying the WRONG TYPE of immersion to MP.

They are in over their heads.

I agree that they don't understand competitive halo and their strategy to copy competitors will never build a competitive advantage for them. I think they're interested in getting the competitive community on their side and that's the extent of it. We may be saying the same thing in different ways, I'm not sure. They just don't know understand why everything they're doing (just throwing gimmicky shit at the wall seems to be their only strategy) is not working and because they don't understand it, Halo will always be shit in their hands. 

For the Ranking system, Too Much value is put into the placement matches, more importantly who they are agisnt.  I've seen placement matches go 7/10 get Silver II, Gold III, Oynx II, and Semi-pro.  thats a great variance for something out of the players hands. 

Also, I think they are letting Unranked players count for too much.

Played a game with a Pro and a Semi-pro and two oynx on the enemy team.(I'm Gold III.) with two unranked and a silver on my team, I win and get +5 points.  Played a game where i was the only ranked person. and got +20 for the win.

It's kind of annoying since i'm mainly getting my +s in single digit numbers, and my -s in double digit form. so even with a majority of the games won (26/39) i'm still about where i started.

The fact that you can't tun off vibe is my biggest issue at the moment. 

That's your biggest issue with the beta...? The old coach mayne that told it like it was, was much better than this 'I met 343i and don't want to shit on them constantly' person. Not saying it's not understandable but you are one of the few people in the community and twittersphere along with lemon and cT that gets a free pass to say negative shit because of your credibility 

I'm having real issue with the connections. The majority of my games have been laggy to the point that by the time my first shot lands they've turned and hit 2-3 on me instantly. Makes me sad to think it's dedicated servers :(

EDIT: Might have been an issue with my Xbox, we'll see.

It's kind of annoying since i'm mainly getting my +s in single digit numbers, and my -s in double digit form. so even with a majority of the games won (26/39) i'm still about where i started.

Agreed. It seems that wherever you get placed is where the game wants you to stay. I have a friend still in gold after 29 straight wins. The grind occurs after the placement. So there are two problems here. The grind is too strenuous. And there is too little information to determine initial rank.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the biggest issue with the ranking system is initial placement. After that, as long as you keep winning consistently you will move up. Eventually things will balance out I would imagine.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm having real issue with the connections. The majority of my games have been laggy to the point that by the time my first shot lands they've turned and hit 2-3 on me instantly. Makes me sad to think it's dedicated servers :(

EDIT: Might have been an issue with my Xbox, we'll see.

Well the game plays on dedicated servers and they are probably all in the US. I played against some foreign guys so yeah. 

Well the game plays on dedicated servers and they are probably all in the US. I played against some foreign guys so yeah.

The majority of my matches I play in are foreign.

Agreed. It seems that wherever you get placed is where the game wants you to stay. I have a friend still in gold after 29 straight wins. The grind occurs after the placement. So there are two problems here. The grind is too strenuous. And there is too little information to determine initial rank.

I think if you win all 10 games without an issue, with a lot of kills, you'll get semi-pro at least.

Lost one game, and ended up in Onyx III, so... I believe every time you win, you get 5-15exp for the next tier. While if you lose, you lose 20-80exp.

Went back and forward between Onyx 2 and 3.

I know they have servers here, but whether or not they're utilising them for the beta is unknown. Makes sense given it's just a beta but also a little annoying in regards to how I'm enjoying the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1