CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The lighting is causing glare throughout the game especially on Truth when you use smart scope on the majority of weapons. Very annoying especially from different angles. Glare should not be a reason to win or lose a gunfight

When you turn on someone and get the perfect kill. Best thing ever!

Maybe cos its still new and blah blah fucking blah BUT I'm loveing this game right now, it's 3am and I just don't wanna put it down.

I also like the reversal medal lol. Oh and CE/Alleyoop medal those are great lol

I have got to play quite a few games now and have tried hard the last few games to really figure out what felt right and what didn’t.

I’ll try my best to break things up into specific areas or things that I noticed.

Aiming/Aim Assist: I’m really enjoying the increased difficulty in aiming. It doesn’t feel like there is a giant magnet locking my reticule to the enemies head and landing consistent 4 shots is at least a bit harder than it has been in previous Halos.

Thrusters: I’m loving the thrusters. I think they can add a significant amount of skill when used creatively. My only suggestion would be to consider making them useable while shooting. Currently the use of them is more for avoiding damage, making jumps, or getting to cover. I would like to see it be used for juking out your opponent in a gun battle which would only be possible if we could shoot while using it.

Ground Pound: I’m pretty indifferent to it. It seems like enough of a high risk high reward type ability that I don’t think it will be game breaking. I have yet to die to it and yet to kill anyone with it. My only plea is that for Bumper Jumper it is moved off the left thumbstick or give us the option to turn it off. I would rather not be able to do it than not be able to crouch jump. Not being able to adequately crouch jump is highly annoying.

Sprint: Even though I’m sure it sounds like beating a dead horse…. It doesn’t belong in Halo. It is not speeding up gameplay, it is still an escape mechanic and worst of all it forces a lower base movement and destroys map design. This will continue to be the number 1 thing I fight to have removed.

Base Movement Speed: It is comically slow. It feels like my Spartan has rocks tied to his feet and is sluggish after a eating a large meal. This is a result of sprint and it is doing so much damage to the fluidity of the game. My suggestion is to remove sprint and up the base movement speed significantly. The game would feel much better and so much more fluid with that change alone.

Clamber: I don’t think it’s a good addition simply because you have to be facing your jumps to do it and I believe it took more skill when jumps could be performed not facing the jump and not taking you out of combat. That being said… It is not nearly as game breaking as I thought it would be and is relatively low on my list of things I’m determined to fight for.

Flinch: This NEEDs to go asap. It was awful in H4 and it still is now. It is jarring and doesn’t feel at all like Halo. Please get rid of it. There is nothing that it adds to gameplay. I wish I had something more insightful but honestly it speaks for itself. It just feels like a bad Halo experience.

Smart Scope: Call it whatever you want. It IS ADS. I will never be convinced that it belongs in Halo but IF I need to make suggestions and be reasonable. I would say that I don’t mind how it functions for the AR and SMG. I do think there needs to be significant changes to how it functions on the DMR, BR, Pistol and Snipe. Currently it takes far too long to scope in. It is so sluggish that is jarring and super clunky feeling. My desire is that 343 give us the option to toggle to classic zoom. If the idea is that we need to attract new players who are used to ADS then so be it. But please don’t force it on those of us who have been playing Halo for over a decade. It was pitched as just being a different look and being accommodating to players familiar with modern shooters. If that’s truly the case there should be no reason not to give us a toggle for classic zoom. It has no effect on those other players and would make us all very very happy.

Sniper: While most of the issues with the sniper result from the sluggish ADS mechanic there is still one thing outside of that which needs addressing. The fire rate. It is waaaaay to slow. It is certainly the slowest we have ever had and that fire rate attached to the sluggish zoom makes me not even really want it. Also I could be wrong as I haven’t been shot at much while using it but I don’t believe there is descope on the snipe. There needs to be if there isn’t. The sniper would benefit a ton from being able to zoom in quicker. Currently quick scoping is pretty much dead and that makes me sad.

Nades: I will start by saying that I love that the nades are strong! That being said there needs to be a much higher damage drop off as you move away from the nade. Currently they are way to forgiving and a poorly placed nade can still deal close to the same amount of damage as a well-placed nade. Make the damage drop off larger so nades are strong but require precision to be most effective.

Automatics: Currently pretty OP. I have no issue with them being viable but currently they are to viable given their ease of use. Both the AR and SMG absolutely melt right now and take pretty much no skill to use effectively. I will always fall on the side of guns should only kill very quickly if they are difficult to use or difficult to obtain.

Controls: This is causing me some serious frustration. There just doesn’t seem to be a layout that meets all my needs. It feels like with all the new abilities that there is too much going on with each button and it makes everything feel clunky. My hope is that 343 may entertain the idea of custom layouts. Being able to choose to put an ability I don’t ever use on a less important button would be a godsend. As much as it pains me to say it…. If we don’t see some changes to control layouts I can see SCUFs becoming extremely viable.

Ranks: Seems like it works well enough. They are certainly highly addictive and I’m so very thankful to have them visible in game. Thank you 343 for listening on that!

Maps: Well they seem huge… Exactly as expected. Sprint has such negative effects on map design and there is a lot of no man’s land on these two maps. Ideally they could be scaled down and sprint be removed but that’s a perfect world scenario..

That’s all I have for now. I will add to it as I think of more things. Thanks for reading.

• Upvote (+1) 1

post that shit on reddit and watch as the plus rep's fly towards you

I agree. 

Eh the games fun now but who knows if it'll actually last with all the crap in it. Ranks will help but people will get bored of them eventually if the final game isn't significantly better.

I played the preview and haven't had the slightest desire to play H5G since. Probably won't buy.

Hopefully they fix MCC.

The ranking system is what really has me hooked. The grenades in the game feel like super nukes and the AR makes me hate all things AR. I'm enjoying Halo 5 but I do think there is a lot that needs to be improved and tinkered on. Sprint feels okay but I feel like its not needed at all. The games I've encountered have gone by pretty fast and only has there been 1 game so far where it felt really slow. The static weapon spawns seem like they could work but at times it just seems like all my team mates hover over the power weapon instead of trying to lock the position down and allow just one of us to grab it. There is a lot of potential in this game, I just really hope they listen to our feedback. 

The only thing that should be said right now is remove sprint, and remove it now. The game could actually be good without it, but fucking sucks with it. The fact that the game could be good, makes sprint even worse than it was in Reach or 4.

I never have teammates that talk. Never.

I found one who was raging his balls off, over a beta with so many placeholders.

I laughed.

Are you understanding the part where you have to explain reasoning behind assertion? 

Ya, it should be obvious that they are trying to listen to the competitive community. This thread is one example.

Quinn is another. The pro hires are others.

On another note, the polls are tightening (wow, just like on election night!), now clamber is favored by just under 60%.

Approval rating appears to be diminishing...

Pretty sure the ranks don't work well. Too many great players in gold, too many terrible players in pro/semi pro. Just 50-5 a team with onyx and semi pros. Then had an extremely close game against golds. Something isn't working.

Ya, it should be obvious that they are trying to listen to the competitive community. This thread is one example.

Quinn is another. The pro hires are others.

On another note, the polls are tightening (wow, just like on election night!), now clamber is favored by just under 60%.

Approval rating appears to be diminishing...

You're conflating placating the competitive community and trying to get them to buy into what they want, with listening to what the competitive community wants and building the game that way. 

Soooo how is sprint supposed to increase the pace of the game again?  I've gotten several games where either it doesn't finish or it burns all but 1 min and this is with people just running around the map with no strategy, simply just trying to find ppl .

What, pray tell, lead you to believe sprint was put in for raising the pace of the game play?

We all know (because they told us) it was for immmmmmeeeeeerrrrrrsiooooooooonnnnn

how does the ranking system work.  so my first 2 games on h5 i did horrible the other team was good.  then i won 7 out of the remainding 8 pre rank games i had and did a lot better with better k/d and stuff but i got placed silver =,((((.    so after being placed silver 2 i won a bunch of games gaining like 7 to 10 points after each win.  i finally get to silver 3 then i was really close to finally getting gold but we lost and i ended up losing 80 points for one loss...........it takes forever to gain points but i lose a huge chunk for one loss and the game was against a rank of semi pro like wtf lol

forever silver 

Pretty sure the ranks don't work well. Too many great players in gold, too many terrible players in pro/semi pro. Just 50-5 a team with onyx and semi pros. Then had an extremely close game against golds. Something isn't working.

I'm only Silver Grade III and I've been killing it most games! Haha... I'm getting matched with bad teammates quite a bit though.

Not enough wins I guess...

Might just be leveling out, or the algorithms might be a little off. It'll be improved at launch one can assume.

How? The guy that made the ranking system quit.

How? The guy that made the ranking system quit.

He didn't quit. He did his part, so his job was over.

I am pretty sure the ranking is just accelerated for the beta. And they can always call him to get tips or have him come for a week or so. From what I heard he left on good terms. 

In a Jeff Steitzer voice, you've got yourself a new medal.

I wonder if they could actually create an "immersion" medal for Halo? What would you have to do to earn it?

Sprint!

• Upvote (+1) 2

He didn't quit. He did his part, so his job was over.

I can't be the only one that notices the ranking system inconsistency.

I would site population, however there is only one playlist and it has to have a healthier pop than H3 slayer after 2 years. H3 being a game which I feel matched effectively even late in its life.