CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The Carbine becomes a 6sk instead of 7sk.

BR becomes a dreadful 3sk instead of 4sk.

DMR becomes a 4sk instead of 5sk.

LR is the same. Even still 4 bodyshots in scope. 4sk hipfire, 3sk scoped. I forgot to test hipfire bodyshots but they are either the same or 1 more shot because of increased health.

Ask me more lol. If I don't already know, I will find out quick.

I knew the Carbine became a 6SK, but I don't think one shot less is going to suddenly make the Carbine so much better. One shot for the Carbine is pretty insignificant.

uhh I think its the opposite lol.

H1-H2. Wow H2 is trash

H2-H3. Wow H2 is so good, h3 is trash

H3-Reach. Wow Reach is trash, i miss h3

Reach- H4. Wow H4 is trash, i miss Reach

etc etc

Except I think that H4 isn't exactly considered better than H5. Probably the only exception.

Edit: At least H4 was fun socially. I can't even have fun in H5 socially.

And yes I am talking about default settings for both games.

I knew the Carbine became a 6SK, but I don't think one shot less is going to suddenly make the Carbine so much better. One shot for the Carbine is pretty insignificant.

I didn't think that it was TOO bad myself, but I could see it being slightly controversial.

The thing is, it's not though. You're basing an entire community off a few individuals, considering Smash 4 got more entrants than Melee, and MANY of those were duplicate entries, you can't blame the entire community. And that's what I'm talking about, people generalize way too much instead of formulating their thoughts based on their own opinion.

personally just found out about a Smash community near where I live. Now mind you I just moved to Florida from Illinois, so being able to come out here and immediately get this type of welcome: (For context, this was a post on an event page for a Smash Melee/4/64 Weekly that goes on out here)

Not to mention when I actually met these people and EVERYONE I met was super chill, played matches with me, we conversed, and everything was great.

One of the guys out here actually placed Top 32 at EVO for Melee. But like I said, you can't generalize an entire community off a few bad apples, but I will never seem to be able to get that point across to you guys.

Top players are a small margin, there is a minute amount of people so when Anti and others were discussing how they don't want to play casuals with other players nd its getting a lot of traction on twitter, there's an issue. Obviously not every top player is that whack. Zero is the opposite which is cool, usually he's pretty open about playing with whoever.

Halo community sucks, I agree with that. But people being able to come to locals regardless of skill level is an obvious thing you need lol. I've played countless games where its the same thing, thats like a barebone necessity

smash in general is fine, but most people here act like its straight up heaven when there are issues where discourse for game affiliation is a thing (come on you cant tell me this isnt a thing lol) 

Also, if you're in Florida you should have a good time, i usually hear positives about that scene. Hit up CEO in the summer 

H1-H2. Wow H2 is trash

etc etc

That's the consensus NOW. At the time people would always defend the current halo game. I was there.. I remember how people used to say how h3 br spread makes the game more skillful or how sprint/ bloom in reach makes gameplay more exciting (see ogre 2's No bloom = no skill), or how we should accept h2a over h2c just because, or currently how radar and ar starts makes h5 the most skillful 4v4 game.

It happens every time single damn time. People just like to be content, it's not a bad thing but it's a wicked pattern we have going here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well man we do have the classic settings thread.

But yeah these arguments are getting tiring.

Yeah I know man, and you're right there is that thread but it's more than that, which is my issue.

I have personally have been making modifications to some of these maps (like for instance, Shiftspace's lifts and spawns, weapon placements on some maps like Port 66, White Cell, etc.) and I actually have so many ideas for how we can move forward and push some content to get some exposure.. Like for instance, yesterday I hooked up my Elgato and I have lots of footage of games we were playing and I was going to make a lot of highlight type videos and maybe some full matches (w/ Team Callouts/Activity), etc....  But I don't want to sit here and waste my time doing all this if people here playing the Old School settings are going just shit talk everyone in the HCS Thread, and everyone in the HCS thread just shit talks everyone in Old School thread... It's not worth it, because we won't get anywhere doing that. But I've been really appreciative of everyone, yourself included of course, for taking time out to actively discuss and play these settings and have fun. Just look how positive this thread had been until today.

Yeah I know man, and you're right there is that thread but it's more than that, which is my issue.

I have personally have been making modifications to some of these maps (like for instance, Shiftspace's lifts and spawns, weapon placements on some maps like Port 66, White Cell, etc.) and I actually have so many ideas for how we can move forward and push some content to get some exposure.. Like for instance, yesterday I hooked up my Elgato and I have lots of footage of games we were playing and I was going to make a lot of highlight type videos and maybe some full matches (w/ Team Callouts/Activity), etc....  But I don't want to sit here and waste my time doing all this if people here playing the Old School settings are going just shit talk everyone in the HCS Thread, and everyone in the HCS thread just shit talks everyone in Old School thread... It's not worth it, because we won't get anywhere doing that. But I've been really appreciative of everyone, yourself included of course, for taking time out to actively discuss and play these settings and have fun. Just look how positive this thread had been until today.

How about we just continue to do what we're doing now regardless of posts on here or not.

We have something cool here and we gotta capitalize on it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

H1-H2. Wow H2 is trash

etc etc

H1-H2. Wow enjoyed both

H2-H3. Wow here comes a master piece

Reach- H4. Wow H4 is trash, i miss classic halo 

H4-H5. Wow H5 is trash, I take anything with not sprint

etc etc

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's the consensus NOW. At the time people would always defend the current halo game. I was there.. I remember how people used to say how h3 br spread makes the game more skillful or how sprint/ bloom in reach makes gameplay more exciting, or how we should accept h2a over h2c just because, or currently how radar and ar starts makes h5 the most skillful 4v4 game.

It happens every time single damn time. People just like to be content, it's not a bad thing but it's a wicked pattern we have going here.

Dude I recall MLG and b.net being all posts back when h2 released as a terrible game, once h3 got released MLG and B.net were the same thing again lol. Do you want me to get a webarchive of this? lol

H1-H2. Wow enjoyed both

H2-H3. Wow here comes a master piece

Reach- H4. Wow H4 is trash, i miss classic halo 

H4-H5. Wow H5 is trash, I take anything with not sprint

etc etc

The topic was in general forum posts. Your personal opinion is fine but isn't the discussion that was going on lol

Dude I recall MLG and b.net being all posts back when h2 released as a terrible game, once h3 got released MLG and B.net were the same thing again lol. Do you want me to get a webarchive of this? lol

When the games were released people got angry and left the series, people who stayed obvisouly liked the game so they defend it. Rinse and repeat.

And I recall people defending the games. What's the point you're making again?

• Upvote (+1) 1

When the games were released people got angry and left the series, people who stayed obvisouly liked the game so they defend it. Rinse and repeat.

MLG mods in '08 or '09 literally locked any threads asking why H3 is a terrible Halo game because it got asked so frequently. 

Top players are a small margin, there is a minute amount of people so when Anti and others were discussing how they don't want to play casuals with other players nd its getting a lot of traction on twitter, there's an issue. Obviously not every top player is that whack. Zero is the opposite which is cool, usually he's pretty open about playing with whoever.

Halo community sucks, I agree with that. But people being able to come to locals regardless of skill level is an obvious thing you need lol. I've played countless games where its the same thing, thats like a barebone necessity

smash in general is fine, but most people here act like its straight up heaven when there are issues where discourse for game affiliation is a thing (come on you cant tell me this isnt a thing lol) 

Also, if you're in Florida you should have a good time, i usually hear positives about that scene. Hit up CEO in the summer 

Yeah I'm fully aware of that, but then again, not all the top players are like that. I've played against a lot of really good players, I even sat down and played some games with Wife at one of the MLG events a couple years ago when I was working Starcraft that particular event. There are way more friendly players than assholes lol. I've been a part of this community since I was 14... I can't remotely say the same about this community.

Yeah there's the discourse, but then again, their game is still being played at events... So there's that lol. But yeah, Florida is the shit, I love it here. Especially coming from Chicago.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MLG mods in '08 or '09 literally locked any threads asking why H3 is a terrible Halo game because it got asked so frequently.

Ok dude you're right no one defended h2, h3, and reach.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

How about we just continue to do what we're doing now regardless of posts on here or not.

We have something cool here and we gotta capitalize on it.

Amen to that.

I don't understand this sentiment that sprint complaints have done nothing.

We got ZBNS in Reach.

343 stated that during h5 development they considered no sprint. They went out of thier way to poll the community and shrank the delta between sprint and base speed after the h5 beta. They gave us a no sprint custom option.

And there are actual big games not using sprint out there right now.

The no sprint situation had literally never been stronger since the damn thing was introduced to halo.

Just imagine if we can make this happen again... It would be awesome.

The Smash Bros community is a happier place because most people generally agree on what makes the games fun and skillful. Anything that promotes fast aggressive play rather than going into a shell and no random crap like tripping or Final Smashes. Most people generally agree Melee is the best game in the series for this reason.

Come here and it's hard to even get the most diehard competitive players to agree on which is the most skillful Halo game. There is a general consensus that it is Halo 1 but a lot of people prefer H2 and a lot prefer H3. Then you go to waypoint  or reddit or even the HCS thread on this website and they are constantly pushing Halo 5 even though it is at best the 3rd best competitive game in the series by any objective measure, and I would certainly argue H3 MLG and H:R NBNS are superior. Mostly because newer people don't even try the classic games anymore. MCC being a huge fuckup didn't help because a lot of new people just assumed this is how trash those old games are, not realizing they are just terrible ports.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok dude you're right no one defended h2, h3, and reach.

im not saying no one did but those games got a ton of hate as well. Stop twisting my words lol

Yeah I'm fully aware of that, but then again, not all the top players are like that. I've played against a lot of really good players, I even sat down and played some games with Wife at one of the MLG events a couple years ago when I was working Starcraft that particular event. There are way more friendly players than assholes lol. I've been a part of this community since I was 14... I can't remotely say the same about this community.

Yeah there's the discourse, but then again, their game is still being played at events... So there's that lol. But yeah, Florida is the shit, I love it here. Especially coming from Chicago.

Yeah most definitely, agreed. Halos community sucks when it comes to welcoming players. 

In all honesty... After reading all this crap today, I think I'm probably just going to take a break from Team Beyond for a while. Everyone who knows me (IRL/XBL), knows I love everybody. But this whole "Thread vs Thread" nonsense that has been happening lately is just stupid. Makes me not even want to be a part of this community anymore to be honest. Everyone is becoming an egotist and it's saddening. Especially since I'm friends with pretty much everyone I've ever had the pleasure of talking to on here. I honestly wish this community was like the Smash community at times; everyone is so much friendlier and accepting of everyone. Especially if you're a local and never played before. They just want you to come out, play and have fun. Doesn't matter if you're a top 5 player, or a noob who played Smash twice when they were 10 years old.

What do we do? "SHUT UP KID GO PLAY MCC IF YOU WANT OLD HALO. ADAPT OR GTFO"...  :huh: And this is stuff not even be replied to me personally, it's just how I keep seeing you guys treat each other.

I really want to keep helping push this stuff for the sake of people who may not like Default Halo 5 the way others do, but honestly, if it's going to be like this, I don't even want to be involved with either of these two threads anymore. Might just hang out in OT from now on.

Kids getting overly passionate by competitive settings is a universal problem across all of gaming. Usually its developer settings vs community. Other times its "use glitches" or "don't use glitches", or "new game" vs "old game", then you have the TF2 community where they've had a 6v6 and 9v9 split for several years now, which honestly is the least of their problems.

Remember during H4 when we had that one thread that was something to the tune of "An Ode to BR Idiots"? A split in competitive settings no doubt brings out the insecurities and frustrations in competitive people, which spawns a lot of egotism and "holier than thou" complexes. The only difference between our community and many others is that that hostility tends to be fleeting and temporary. Hell, the amount of negativity towards each other we've had here in the past year probably amounts to a weeks worth of negativity and toxicity in other "competitive" (err, E-Sports) titles. The TeamBeyond community and staff have always been awesome, and this "debate" (which is really just an inflated misunderstanding spurred on by frustration) will hopefully end and we can all continue to enjoy the settings we play on.

I think everyone's point/problem with this mentality is the bold. It's hard to complain that something that "takes up pages", when there's about 800+ pages worth of rep farming gifs and posts that have absolutely zero to do with the HCS.

Yeah, pretty much. It's an unfortunate double standard. Anyway, with season 1 ending, I'd imagine the settings discussions will be happening more often with season 2 coming up.

^remember when i said the truth hurts? lul

people have been bitching about sprint for YEARS, and guess what? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

how nicely does 343 have to tell you to fuck off about settings before you understand that it's not gonna happen, pick a better battle, or don't idc

200k at the biggest fgc event ever though (not saying that's bad by any means, and there weren't 200k people there JUST to watch smash)

50k is good but halo lans are close to that and our game is "bottom of the barrel" 

but like i said "outside of big events smash viewership isn't all that great"

as of right now

Halo 5: 768 viewers

sm4sh: 451

melee: 238

:thinking:

we aren't though lol

halo 5 viewership is decent as fuck, despite the narrative otherwise

people who are still doom and gloom about the state of competitive halo generally are uninformed as fuck

look how mad you settings discussion people are

i watch the game because i love halo and i want to see the scene grow as big as possible

i play pc games 99.9% of the time

if a halo event had 2.3k entrants you damn sure better believe the stakes would be higher than a pitiful 23k

People have been bitching about sprint for YEARS. Guess what... it got nerfed heavily and you can turn it off in settings.

There is no better battle to pick. As long as shit settings are used I won't watch it. Neither will most people. The viewership for tournaments speaks for itself.

SOME Halo LANs are close to 50k (EU summerLAN was at fucking 4k LOL) with gigantic prize pools and full dev support of a 9 month old game. Compared to Melee which is 15 years old, is basically disavowed by the devs, and peaks at over 130k even by itself (not at EVO), and has small prize pools.

Why do I care about viewership outside of events? Most pros don't even stream. You cannot scrim online against just any other pros for views like in Halo 5. Again it is a 15 year old game played on CRTs. You need external capture cards hooked up to a decent computer. You can't have your face front and centre and directly interact with fans the entire time because you actually have several other people in your living room playing with you. Not exactly an ideal setup for everyone and their mom to stream unlike Halo 5 which can stream with 2 button presses. Your misrepresentation of facts without context is ridiculous.

I want the scene to grow too. You need to boot ESL, start using real competitive settings and design a game that is interesting to watch for more than just the prize total. You think 23k for 2300 entrants is pathetic but nobody cares except you. The Smash community certainly does not care. We care about watching good competitive games between the best players with the best settings and mechanics. Money on top of that is just a great bonus.

• Upvote (+1) 5

when Smash players cant even accept different games of their OWN series there is an issue

right, that would be really counter-productive, can't imagine that happening in Halo, or on TB ...  :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 2

yeah man if halo 5 was no sprint no radar views would increase tenfold

*tin foil*

People have been bitching about sprint for YEARS. Guess what... it got nerfed heavily and you can turn it off in settings.

sprint is still in competitive gameplay so congrats

• Downvote (-1) 3