CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

120 move acceleration I've found to be smoother with lower walk speeds.

I have considered that but have not quite had enough people to test.

So, I am going to be that guy who has 4sk Magnum settings.

Thanks to help from @@Hard Way (for being an AFK test dummy a few months back), and @, @@arglactable, and @@My Namez BEAST (you guys all helped out and gave some feedback).

3 things that are significantly improved on with these settings:

#1: 4sk Magnum (faster killtimes and more individually empowered players)

#2: And smoother more responsive jumping settings than the Old School settings (%120 jump height with %110 jump gravity).

#3: Also %110 movement speed (instead of %120), allows Camo to still be good, and scales remakes MUCH better. That Jungle Creek remake was scaled perfectly with %110 movement speed. Also strafe speed is nearly unaffected. Still nasty with %130 strafe acceleration.

I will be posting the complete settings for this in my own thread later today for those who are interested.

Tes, for anyone that wants to play old school with a solid magnum, use these settings. And I have to say, you guys NEED to implement these jump settings. It's so much smoother and less floaty than the ones we have been using. Definitely worth trying out if you haven't already. 110% movement is also a little less crazy.

I think he means a strafe that actually causes people to miss. The strafe has to be fast to counter the insane magnetism.

It's funny because these settings are making me kind of reconsider how I think Halo should be designed.

I used to think that the perfect Halo game should 100% be designed around a weapon that had a fast perfect TTK and very low aim assistance mechanics that would create a high delta between perfect and average TTks.

After last night I think the mix of relatively high aim assistance mixed with high strafe and player speed and acceleration just my be a better option. It still accomplishes the goal of having a large delta on kill times.

The main difference is that low aim assist accomplishes the goal by making you feel shitty. You're just missing a bunch. With relatively high aim assistance and high strafe the goal is accomplished not by making you feel like shit, but by making the target feel awesome. Like you're not really missing, he's dodging.

There were a few times during those customs where I had the first shot and someone juked me and killed me. I didn't feel like "fuck, I choked". Which is the usual feeling you get in that scenario. I felt like "wow, he made a great play. Good for him". My shots still felt good. The other guy just dodged well. It's the same end result, but a much more positive feeling.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I have considered that but have not quite had enough people to test.

What shield settings are you using exactly? I've found that 70 shield/150 health more or less leaves every weapon unchanged. The only outliers seem to the the BR and Carbine, but the Carbine's buff is relatively insignificant.

So, I am going to be that guy who has 4sk Magnum settings.

Thanks to help from @@Hard Way (for being an AFK test dummy a few months back), and @, @@arglactable, and @@My Namez BEAST (you guys all helped out and gave some feedback).

3 things that are significantly improved on with these settings:

#1: 4sk Magnum (faster killtimes and more individually empowered players)

#2: And smoother more responsive jumping settings than the Old School settings (%120 jump height with %110 jump gravity).

#3: Also %110 movement speed (instead of %120), allows Camo to still be good, and scales remakes MUCH better. That Jungle Creek remake was scaled perfectly with %110 movement speed. Also strafe speed is nearly unaffected. Still nasty with %130 strafe acceleration.

I will be posting the complete settings for this in my own thread later today for those who are interested.

Eh

It all sounds good but I like the 120 speed. We played several maps that scaled well at that speed. I'd rather we keep 120 and the maps that work with it then slow the speed down for the maps that don't work at that speed.

It's not just about the strafe. Moving around the map at 120 felt amazing.

Pro 120% speed over here as well.

I'm down to test the 4sk pistol though.. If.. You know, people would actually like to invite the people who were actively trying to play last night while you guys just played by yourselves in a party of 4 lol...

I'm down to test the 4sk pistol though.. If.. You know, people would actually like to invite the people who were actively trying to play last night while you guys just played by yourselves in a party of 4 lol...

Ya, what was that lol?

It's funny because these settings are making me kind of reconsider how I think Halo should be designed.

I used to think that the perfect Halo game should 100% be designed around a weapon that had a fast perfect TTK and very low aim assistance mechanics that would create a high delta between perfect and average TTks.

After last night I think the mix of relatively high aim assistance mixed with high strafe and player speed and acceleration just my be a better option. It still accomplishes the goal of having a large delta on kill times.

The main difference is that low aim assist accomplishes the goal by making you feel shitty. You're just missing a bunch. With relatively high aim assistance and high strafe the goal is accomplished not by making you feel like shit, but by making the target feel awesome. Like you're not really missing, he's dodging.

There were a few times during those customs where I had the first shot and someone juked me and killed me. I didn't feel like "fuck, I choked". Which is the usual feeling you get in that scenario. I felt like "wow, he made a great play. Good for him". My shots still felt good. The other guy just dodged well. It's the same end result, but a much more positive feeling.

I personally feel like low bullet magnetism is essential for competitive especially from a watchability/Esports standpoint. I get annoyed watching straight up misses still count as a headshot.

Low bullet magnetism, higher reticle magnetism and slightly less effective strafe is better imo. Basically, I'd like CE with slightly better strafe responsiveness.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What shield settings are you using exactly? I've found that 70 shield/150 health more or less leaves every weapon unchanged. The only outliers seem to the the BR and Carbine, but the Carbine's buff is relatively insignificant.

Pretty much the same. Although I was using 160 health. I have to look at 150 again, specifically for the AR.

I personally feel like low bullet magnetism is essential for competitive especially from a watchability/Esports standpoint. I get annoyed watching straight up misses still count as a headshot.

Low bullet magnetism, higher reticle magnetism and slightly less effective strafe is better imo. Basically, I'd like CE with slightly better strafe responsiveness.

That's why I didn't say magnetism. I said "assistance mechanics".

Well, I for one just needed a couple test dummies to start off with. Hard to do with a full lobby.

Also, me, @@arglactable and @@My Namez BEAST did note that %120 movement speed played nice on default maps.

However, Camo is made useless. Unlike %110 movement speed.

Also, strafes are a different settings option, so movement speed doesn't matter quite as much for the strafes. At least with such a minimal decrease of movement speed.

Also, me, @@arglactable and @@My Namez BEAST did note that %120 movement speed played nice on default maps.

However, Camo is made useless. Unlike %110 movement speed.

Also, strafes are a different settings option, so movement speed doesn't matter quite as much for the strafes. At least with such a minimal decrease of movement speed.

Camo is really not that important. It can just be replaced with something else.

• Downvote (-1) 1

120% speed does indeed feel great, but I'm really not seeing how "useless" the camo is that you guys keep bringing up. It works just fine if you're not just B-Lining across the map, you can definitely use it because you're also allowed to stop moving as well. I don't want to personally give up (in my opinion of course) a better movement speed for a 45 second power up (that majority of the people die with anyway). You can definitely make plays with camo in its current state, regardless of movement speed.

Let's attack the actual monkey in the room and try to fight for an option to turn speed dependency off. Because that is the issue, not the movement speed. The camo can definitely still be used.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Pretty much the same. Although I was using 160 health. I have to look at 150 again, specifically for the AR.

No need to nerf the AR directly when it's already being hit by the magnum buff.

120% speed does indeed feel great, but I'm really not seeing how "useless" the camo is that you guys keep bringing up. It works just fine if you're not just B-Lining across the map, you can definitely use it because you're also allowed to stop moving as well. I don't want to personally give up (in my opinion of course) a better movement speed for a 45 second power up (that majority of the people die with anyway). You can definitely make plays with camo in its current state, regardless of movement speed.

Let's attack the actual monkey in the room and try to fight for an option to turn speed dependency off. Because that is the issue, not the movement speed. The camo can definitely still be used.

I absolutely agree. It's far from useless. Not being half visible at full speed would be ideal, but we control movement with an analogue stick. Full tilt is not your only option.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bravo on Action Sack / Custom games / Custom broswer:

We absolutely agree. This is really important. For starters, Content Browser (which you've seen a bit of) is on the way, and like Forge itself, it has been built from scratch to be the most powerful it has ever been, and the best the series has seen. This will of course be a massive tool for discovery, feedback, etc, but, to the tune of this thread, it could be stated that a quality, curated playlist is equally important for broader audiences and weekend warriors.
There is also a substantial amount of dev work being done across a few different areas to make the creation and maintenance of such playlists (from start to finish) very quick and efficient. It isn't right now, and work is being done to make it so that these great creations can get the proper exposure they deserve, and that the world may rejoice in community-created Action Sacky goodness. There are a few more details I likely can't share just yet as the work isn't yet done, but in short, I know a lot of you want this right now (me too!), but do rest assured that getting fantastic maps, game types, and mini-games in front of players in a super easy and accessible way is a priority and is on the way.

/r/halo

120% speed does indeed feel great, but I'm really not seeing how "useless" the camo is that you guys keep bringing up. It works just fine if you're not just B-Lining across the map, you can definitely use it because you're also allowed to stop moving as well. I don't want to personally give up (in my opinion of course) a better movement speed for a 45 second power up (that majority of the people die with anyway). You can definitely make plays with camo in its current state, regardless of movement speed.

Let's attack the actual monkey in the room and try to fight for an option to turn speed dependency off. Because that is the issue, not the movement speed. The camo can definitely still be used.

Fair enough. Being able to remove the speed dependency is certainly optimal.

They could also just make it where only Sprint/Thrust/Ground Pound/Slide/Spartan Charge make you visible while base movement and gravity lifts/mancannons still leave you completely invisible.

All forms of attack would continue to expose you as usual.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No need to nerf the AR directly when it's already being hit by the magnum buff.

Very true. I do need a test dummy at the moment real quick though.

I learned a while back that strafing while in Camo is less likely to light you up as walking forward. Anyone try walking around Goldeneye style yet?

I learned a while back that strafing while in Camo is less likely to light you up as walking forward. Anyone try walking around Goldeneye style yet?

Crouch walking works better than that even, I found this out last night on White Cell walking around a back smacking people lol