CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

so I missed a lot of fun? If this is becoming a regluar thing I'd love to take part in those games sometime..to bad I'm EU and my time to play is a little bit limited lately...

Did anyone stream the gametype being played? I'm good friends with the two guys who made these settings, and I'd think they'd love to see the settings in action out in the wild.

A fair bit weaker actually, like the h3 shotgun with a slower fire rate. Which isn't quite a bad thing, you just have to play smarter with it.

Ahh, I wonder if the Blaze of Glory is in Forge, I've messed around with it a bit, but don't remember all of the REQ weps.

Maybe it'd feel more like the HaloCE shorty then, and not quite as OP as Blaze is currently with its redic range.

Ahh, I wonder if the Blaze of Glory is in Forge, I've messed around with it a bit, but don't remember all of the REQ weps.

Maybe it'd feel more like the HaloCE shorty then, and not quite as OP as Blaze is currently with its redic range.

The Lawgiver is, which fires faster and I think does more damage.

The worst thing you guys can do if we're trying to popularize these classic settings is start fiddling with them. Having 100 different splintered off settings will kill any momentum.

I don't think settings are the problem honestly, I think the maps could use some small tweaks more than the settings. I think the settings have been well thought out and they execute very well.

If anybody has some cool maps that can be tested, that would be great.

The Old School settings absolutely need to be pushed. The Classic Map submission thread at Waypoint is chock full of maps, but there was a nasty rumor going around that 343 were going to have players jump in with default Halo 5 movement and an H2 BR.

Pretty sure none of us want that, so invest your time to give these settings light.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It could be cool if we even get little h5 discussion thread classic tourneys going.

Just simple stuff like if we can get 16 people. 4 teams. Winners play winners. Losers play losers. Then re mix the teams. Keep it friendly with both teams in the same chat.

It looked like we had upwards of 12 people wanting to play last night.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't think settings are the problem honestly, I think the maps could use some small tweaks more than the settings. I think the settings have been well thought out and they execute very well.

If anybody has some cool maps that can be tested, that would be great.

LINK

not mine but I'm still impressed by how great that map look

Also kind of disappointed when I saw that most gametypes only had 30 downloads and Slayer had 50, I was under the impression that these settings were hugely popular. Not sure if 343i would make a playlist to support this with numbers like that.

I appreciate that everyone in this thread loves classic settings, and I'd love to try them myself ... but keep in mind that H4 had a classic settings playlist as well (Team Throwdown), with Gho57ayame tweaking settings constantly, and it had an average of 200 players.  This was when BTB and Slayer had a population of thousands, over 10k for slayer at that time.  Before you say "but it was Halo 4!," all of these arguments were also made for Halo 4 ("the base game isn't that bad, it's just the terrible loadouts and ordinance and blah blah ... just give us classic settings" etc.)

The worst thing you guys can do if we're trying to popularize these classic settings is start fiddling with them. Having 100 different splintered off settings will kill any momentum.

This is a very good point.

However, if the settings can be further improved, I would take it, and do it.

I appreciate that everyone in this thread loves classic settings, and I'd love to try them myself ... but keep in mind that H4 had a classic settings playlist as well (Team Throwdown), with Gho57ayame tweaking settings constantly, and it had an average of 200 players.  This was when BTB and Slayer had a population of thousands, over 10k for slayer at that time.  Before you say "but it was Halo 4!," all of these arguments were also made for Halo 4 ("the base game isn't that bad, it's just the terrible loadouts and ordinance and blah blah ... just give us classic settings" etc.)

How was Team Throwdown a classic playlist? It still had sprint and shoehorned the H4 maps into competitive settings instead of using classic maps like a classic playlsit would, plus it had loadouts and ordnance for a long time and later BR starts. Plus it was the "MLG tryhard" playlist with no radar and tons of to4's shitting on randoms due to no party restrictions. Now Halo 4 Promod, that was a classic experience, sadly it was modded so 343 never bothered to make a playlist for it and IIRC this site closed all threads related to the mod.

Now I agree that classic playlists always fail in terms of population because of the negative stigma (nostalgia, old gameplay) surrounding them. The Reach classic playlist (the OG one, not Annivesary) was a good example of a classic playlist that failed hard in terms of population and it was instantly removed when 343 was given control over the Halo franchise. Same goes for Team Throwback in H3, another amazing playlist that just wasn't popular.

I appreciate that everyone in this thread loves classic settings, and I'd love to try them myself ... but keep in mind that H4 had a classic settings playlist as well (Team Throwdown), with Gho57ayame tweaking settings constantly, and it had an average of 200 players. This was when BTB and Slayer had a population of thousands, over 10k for slayer at that time. Before you say "but it was Halo 4!," all of these arguments were also made for Halo 4 ("the base game isn't that bad, it's just the terrible loadouts and ordinance and blah blah ... just give us classic settings" etc.)

But that's 200 people that were able to play te game the way they wanted to. We had 8 people and I would play that over and over if I had the opportunity. A small but dedicated population isn't a bad thing, especially since most of the people that would be in that playlist wouldn't be playing MM otherwise.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

How was Team Throwdown a classic playlist? It still had sprint and shoehorned the H4 maps into competitive settings instead of using classic maps like a classic playlsit would, plus it had loadouts and ordnance for a long time and later BR starts. Plus it was the "MLG tryhard" playlist with no radar and tons of to4's shitting on randoms due to no party restrictions. Now Halo 4 Promod, that was a classic experience, sadly it was modded so 343 never bothered to make a playlist for it and IIRC this site closed all threads related to the mod.

Now I agree that classic playlists always fail in terms of population because of the negative stigma (nostalgia, old gameplay) surrounding them. The Reach classic playlist (the OG one, not Annivesary) was a good example of a classic playlist that failed hard in terms of population and it was instantly removed when 343 was given control over the Halo franchise. Same goes for Team Throwback in H3, another amazing playlist that just wasn't popular.

I don't remember Team Throwback doing anything special. It was just ranked objective.

LINK

not mine but I'm still impressed by how great that map look

We played this, majority of us thought it looked fantastic, but we also all thought there are some serious glaring issues with this map, mainly the spawns. We were playing CTF and you literally don't have any idea where you're going to spawn lol. You can spawn on both sides of the map. 

The other "issue" of this map is just the scaling of the map. It's as if this like a bite-sized beaver creek. Great map visually, could use a few tweaks as far as sizing goes. Everything just needs to be scaled bigger... If that makes sense? Like the roofs of the bases need to be larger, well.. The bases need to be a bit larger in general. The ramps to top snipe and rockets need to just be a tad bit longer along with the middle of the map being a bit more stretched out.

Someone who played with us last night can probably put it into words a little better than I can.

At the very minimum, especially since this is just starting out, if we're able to fix the spawning, I could see us using this a lot.

• Upvote (+1) 3

We played this, majority of us thought it looked fantastic, but we also all thought there are some serious glaring issues with this map, mainly the spawns. We were playing CTF and you literally don't have any idea where you're going to spawn lol. You can spawn on both sides of the map.

The other "issue" of this map is just the scaling of the map. It's as if this like a bite-sized beaver creek. Great map visually, could use a few tweaks as far as sizing goes. Everything just needs to be scaled bigger... If that makes sense? Like the roofs of the bases need to be larger, well.. The bases need to be a bit larger in general. The ramps to top snipe and rockets need to just be a tad bit longer along with the middle of the map being a bit more stretched out.

Someone who played with us last night can probably put it into words a little better than I can.

At the very minimum, especially since this is just starting out, if we're able to fix the spawning, I could see us using this a lot.

The midship map had messed up CTF spawns too. I was so damn disoriented I even ran the flag to the enemy base at one point lol.

If you guys want some traction on this, go make a Discord or something and start handing invites to people who are interested in these type of settings/philosophy. It makes organizing much easier than looking at a forum 

I did the same with my Discord and there's a lot of people over there, since TB is flooded with people who hate h5 I doubt you guys will have much issues. 

The midship map had messed up CTF spawns too. I was so damn disoriented I even ran the flag to the enemy base at one point lol.

Yeah you're definitely right, it played great for what it was, but the spawn system in this game in general just needs an overhaul. It's so bad. But even with that being said, the FFAs on Shiftspace still felt great because it was fast paced and no stupid power weapons everywhere. Made for an authentic FFA experience imo. Better spawns would make those settings perfect for that map.

And a fixed lift lol. I'm still laughing from when arg came up the lift one time and got absolutely demolished

I find myself excited at work to play these settings again. All the accidental back smacks lmao

I can make a discord if there is interest

'Old school' does feel like a proper way to put it, after some thought.

I think it's interesting how the creators said they wanted to emulate Sprint speed but at all times, rather than it being the same as classic Halo. I dunno I guess that really keeps in line with what 343 set out to do with Halo 5, and as far as I know, isn't even replacing that. It doesn't compromise their vision at all, I feel. In fact I see no problem with having something like this in matchmaking right now... Even if it's still so different from the base game. Fact of the matter is it doesn't feel like you aren't playing Halo 5... rather, it is in fact Halo 5, playing as a Halo game should. 

It's not a 'classic' gametype in the slightest. It still feels like it's own Halo game and for people to say that without Spartan Abilities this plays like Halo CE, 2, or Halo 3, should be a federal offense. 

Really? It felt like H2A.5. What's different about it over Halo 2 besides a harder to use BR from strafing options? Honestly it felt like I'm playing the same game I have in the last few years with the addition of crouching removing recoil and a faster TTK

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1