CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

this is the type of person who actively blocks out opposing viewpoints, with how controversial the subject is there is no possible way he had really taken any arguments seriously even if they were well thought out and logical.

He's the type of person who blocks people on forums. Like....who the fuck does that? It's like going to McDonalds to buy a salad.

The BR has a faster average kill time than the pistol. Especially if we're talking upped movement and acceleration.

Exactly, we don't want a fast average kill time. We want a fast perfect kill time with a higher average kill time. That's why I advocate for a 4sk pistol.

Exactly, we don't want a fast average

kill time. We want a fast perfect kill time with a higher average kill time. That's why I advocate for a 4sk pistol.

As far as I'm aware that is not possible right now with the tools we currently have.

He's the type of person who blocks people on forums. Like....who the fuck does that? It's like going to McDonalds to buy a salad.

that's the move a person makes when they know deep down they're in an intellectually weak position. Or they believe they're totally right and don't feel the need to argue back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The settings are fun. Noisy12 man parties and poorly balanced teams, not so much.

Its too bad that teambeyond players are so good. Its tough to relax but hey we know our shit.

Sorry to be a debby downer since the whole PC was kreygasming over the settings lol

But, so far I don't see a reason to use a Pistol in these old school settings, anyone want to give some insight here? 

BRs way better, crouching in H5 also gives you a bonus on no recoil which I think would be more emphasized since you have no thrust and it makes the "hard" part of the strafe a bit easier, BR has 2x scope, is burst, barely a drop in TTK.

Meanwhile Pistol is only slightly faster than the BR, has 1.5x scope,  harder to use and single shot.

Only reason I use the Pistol is if I'm one shot or half shields to maybe get a comeback kill but with Pistol having no bleed and BRs being inherently an easy weapon to sweep with (which the new settings do nothing to fix imo) it doesn't help much. No thrust kinda hurts Pistol users more than any other weapon imo since a good Thrust cancel gets 2ish shots before the refractory period

Maybe i just suck tho  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

These old school settings are legitimately the most fun I've had in Halo 5 by a significant margin. Fucking great.

If this was H5 default I think we all would be enjoying H5 much more.

That being said, from the like 5 games I played, I am not sure if I would settle on those particular settings for a potential playist.

While much more predictable, the movement seemed a bit TOO fast at %120. It also renders Camo ineffective. I'm curious about %110 movement speed(Camo is still good with this setting).

I'm not sure that I like having less gravity(or the same) while jumping. With only the jump being higher, I felt a little TOO punished for jumping, considering how fast my opponent could move on the ground. I would like to try %120 jump height but with % 110 jump gravity to equalize hang time a bit.

Grenades seemed a little weak to me, possibly too easy to avoid but I like the feeling of 'nailing' your grenades. Could be fine with slightly improved movement tweaks.

And damn, was the killtimes way to slow for how much you can strafe, especially when teamshot is always a factor. 4sk Magnum please... the BR burst-fire partial damage is its own issue...

Also, these settings, like last time I was testing, seem to make H5's wonky aiming system more apparent, but that is just H5.

Generally though, while I am still probably just getting used to the settings (they are hard that is for sure), I would personally like to test tweaks to the settings and/or just try my own settings based on a 4sk Magnum.

If anyone is interested let me know.

Sorry to be a debby downer since the whole PC was kreygasming over the settings lol

But, so far I don't see a reason to use a Pistol in these old school settings, anyone want to give some insight here?

BRs way better, crouching in H5 also gives you a bonus on no recoil which I think would be more emphasized since you have no thrust and it makes the "hard" part of the strafe a bit easier, BR has 2x scope, is burst, barely a drop in TTK.

Meanwhile Pistol is only slightly faster than the BR, has 1.5x scope, harder to use and single shot.

Only reason I use the Pistol is if I'm one shot or half shields to maybe get a comeback kill but with Pistol having no bleed and BRs being inherently an easy weapon to sweep with (which the new settings do nothing to fix imo) it doesn't help much. No thrust kinda hurts Pistol users more than any other weapon imo since a good Thrust cancel gets 2ish shots before the refractory period

Maybe i just suck tho :lxthul:

I was wondering if I just suck too(shrugs)

But yeah the BR sweep-shooting is so powerful in these settings BECAUSE of how fast you move, IMO. The Magnum doesn't stand a chance.

I did like the Magnum for the simple fact that single-shot always means that you deal full %100 damage when you hit your target.

Aside from that, I felt too unempowered with the slow killtime + powerful strafes.

I think a faster killtime would help quite a bit. I would like to test 4sk Magnum settings, even if I have to make them myself. There are a handful of other small tweaks that I would make as well.

These old school settings are legitimately the most fun I've had in Halo 5 by a significant margin. Fucking great.

This. Dude this is the most fun I've had on Halo 5, hands down. We definitely have to play some more guys. I really hope these settings get really popular because I haven't sat and played some custom games in almost a year. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

We've got the amazing forge, now it's time we get the amazing custom games options.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That was great guys gg to all y'all. Close range aiming is ass but it's also ass in default so that's not an issue. Overall it was great not getting Spartan charged and having people thrust everywhere.

3-30

• Upvote (+1) 7

GGs to everyone who came and played some of the Old School settings. @@Stoppabl3 @@arglactable @ @ @@My Namez BEAST @@NavG123 @@Mythik Nick @@wow :flip:  and anyone else I missed. You guys are awesome and that im glad I was finally able to have a single night of Halo 5 and have nothing but fun, win or lose.

A couple changes I would make to the maps would be to remove the splinter grenades from the maps, and fix some of the lifts like on Shiftspace. That super lift in the base is just instadeath haha! 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't necessarily think the settings are perfect, but it sure as hell is vastly more enjoyable for me than default. Halo 5 has never been less rage-inducing.

While much more predictable, the movement seemed a bit TOO fast at %120. It also renders Camo ineffective. I'm curious about %110 movement speed(Camo is still good with this setting).

I'm not sure that I like having less gravity(or the same) while jumping. With only the jump being higher, I felt a little TOO punished for jumping, considering how fast my opponent could move on the ground. I would like to try %120 jump height but with % 110 jump gravity to equalize hang time a bit.

Grenades seemed a little weak to me, possibly too easy to avoid but I like the feeling of 'nailing' your grenades. Could be fine with slightly improved movement tweaks.

And damn, was the killtimes way to slow for how much you can strafe, especially when teamshot is always a factor. 4sk Magnum please... the BR burst-fire partial damage is its own issue...

Also, these settings, like last time I was testing, seem to make H5's wonky aiming system more apparent, but that is just H5.

Generally though, while I am still probably just getting used to the settings (they are hard that is for sure), I would personally like to test tweaks to the settings and/or just try my own settings based on a 4sk Magnum.

If anyone is interested let me know.

For movement speed, I don't really have a problem with it as it is currently, it certainly takes getting used to, but then we are used to sluggish as fuck base movement in Halo. The camo issue is legitimate, but not terribly major to me, at least not relative to default. You have an analogue stick that you can use to control your speed. You basically need to crouch to be fully invisible in 343 Arena anyway.

Jump height is a valid point. It's a bit too floaty for my taste and jumping becomes a pretty huge commitment as a result (not to mention the hilarious gravity lifts of death).

Long kill times are something that is inherently difficult to address with the current custom game settings we have. I just don't know how you would do that without having some potentially really unfortunate impacts on the rest of the sandbox, because we can't tweak the pistol in isolation. The current settings already up your health pool to effectively nerf autos and body shot damage. Maybe a reduction in a shield strength? I'm not sure, but it's certainly tricky. The burst fire of the BR is also an issue. Maybe a switch to DMR would be a decent compromise? It would certainly be more consistent than the Magnum and the movement settings make the aim assist much less of an obvious crutch. @@Hard Way suggested the Recon DMR, which unfortunately isn't possible at present, but I'm sure if we begged Tom French for it, he would get it done. Because he's the man.

• Upvote (+1) 2

[Pistol is garbo]

You're right. The pistol is basically pointless when you spawn with the BR. It's just a worse, less consistent weapon in general and the only time I really saw anyone bother with it is when they ran out of BR ammo in the middle of a fight. Outside of 343 buffing it themselves (literally never going to happen), it's kind of a pointless weapon in these settings, at least as long as the goal is to make it applicable to any map scaled for Halo 5 and cluttered up with the breadth of Halo 5's redundant sandbox. I think It could work in some kind of "Halo 5 Hardcore" without redundant upgrades on the map and without a starting BR, though.

I don't think I've ever been this... not angry playing Halo 5 hahaha

Strafing was so powerful oh my lord, but boy does it highlight the aiming in this game (though that's probably just me being out of the loop for a while.)

I got around to testing some of the autos, and yeah, they work exactly how they used to in Halo games. Exactly how I remember. They still fared much better in close range, (even compared to the BR thanks to these lightning strafes) but I'd be lying if I said they were a problem to deal with. You really need a lot of prior damage.

This is by and large the best way to play this game and frankly I want to give 343 a piece of my mind for never providing an Arena playlist like this at launch... but obviously due to the immaculate joy of playing this it will have to wait.

I'm all smiles. These are really, really good settings. I think maybe the only thing I would do is drop the movement speed a tad so close range engagements less of a crapshoot, but otherwise the strafe acceleration mitigates basically ALL the problems with the aim assists in the game (just not the aiming itself.) Overall a very solid experience compared to the base game.

This was an honest to god fun time. I was rusty and got my teeth kicked in though I smiled the entire time.

Also, you may not have heard it but I was dying while everyone was talking about Halo 5's story. My stomach actually hurt. "They didn't even mess up the old Halo stuff. They fucked up their own shit."

• Upvote (+1) 8

I don't think I've ever been this... not angry playing Halo 5 hahaha

Strafing was so powerful oh my lord, but boy does it highlight the aiming in this game (though that's probably just me being out of the loop for a while.)

I got around to testing some of the autos, and yeah, they work exactly how they used to in Halo games. Exactly how I remember. They still fared much better in close range, (even compared to the BR thanks to these lightning strafes) but I'd be lying if I said they were a problem to deal with. You really need a lot of prior damage.

This is by and large the best way to play this game and frankly I want to give 343 a piece of my mind for never providing an Arena playlist like this at launch... but obviously due to the immaculate joy of playing this it will have to wait.

I'm all smiles. These are really, really good settings. I think maybe the only thing I would do is drop the movement speed a tad so close range engagements aren't such a crapshoot, but otherwise the strafe acceleration mitigates basically ALL the problems with the aim assists in the game (just not the aiming itself.) Overall a very solid experience compared to the base game.

This was an honest to god fun time. I was rusty and got my teeth kicked in though I smiled the entire time.

Also, you may not have heard it but I was dying while everyone was talking about Halo 5's story. My stomach actually hurt. "They didn't even mess up the old Halo stuff. They fucked up their own shit."

This was my point about everything. Usually when I turn this game on, just seeing the playlist menu pisses me off lol. I was literally happy the entire time playing these settings, winning and losing. 

I was indifferent about the BR vs Pistol start because I liked both of them for separate reasons. After the first 4-5 games or so of my potato aim (due to not playing this damn game since like May), I was really satisfied with the movement speed. It felt like I had to actually aim my damn gun for once and every time I got out-pistoled/BR'd, it felt like it was my fault and I wasn't mad at myself. After a while my shot was on fucking fire, I literally felt like a threat in the game; something I have not felt playing the default settings.

I love the nerf to the autos because even though the SMG can melt you to an extent, the nerf doesn't make it the end-all, be-all weapon in almost every scenario. The autos kind of reminds me of Halo 3 Assault Rifle; useful in a few situations, but pretty bad to sit around corners and camp with it.

Splinter grenades are not necessary in these settings, same thing with the Halo 2 BR. As much as an advocate I am for some Halo 2... Even I can say that BR is kind of OP in these settings lol.

There have been times where I have felt rather floaty with the jump, but on the contrary, there were also a lot of crouch jumps on a quite a few of these maps that made the gravity feel just right (White Cell). I think my issue with this may have been due to the fact that in default settings I tend to jump too much.

And fixed @@wow! :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

So I didn't get to play with those "old school" settimgs, but I'm curious how the shotgun feels with the increased HP?

Also kind of disappointed when I saw that most gametypes only had 30 downloads and Slayer had 50, I was under the impression that these settings were hugely popular. Not sure if 343i would make a playlist to support this with numbers like that.

So I didn't get to play with those "old school" settimgs, but I'm curious how the shotgun feels with the increased HP?

A fair bit weaker actually, like the h3 shotgun with a slower fire rate. Which isn't quite a bad thing, you just have to play smarter with it.

As good as these settings look, I die a little inside every time someone uses the terms "old school" or "nostalgia" to describe them. These shouldn't merely be "classic" or "old school" settings, they should be what a fucking Halo game plays like out of the box.

• Upvote (+1) 3