CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Love going against To4's when I search solo and get solo players on my team.

lol earlier today I searched TS  solo to work on finally finishing my placements this season.  I matched a to4 all champions, including champion 6 and 32, Mikwen, and Diesel.  My team?  A solo 1700, another solo 1700, and a diamond 5 that quit after his first death.

But we don't need party restrictions in ranked playlists, right guys?

That's a very iffy statement.

All I'm going to say on the topic for now is that immersion isn't synonymous with realism and that immersion shouldn't come at the expense of gameplay quality.  Which ideally it wouldn't because making the gameplay shit in order to pursue "immersion" is actually ironically just making the game less immersive anyways.

Could you explain why you think thats an iffy statement? Especially since it sounds like you're agreeing with me.

Could you explain why you think thats an iffy statement? Especially since it sounds like you're agreeing with me.

Look at The Walking Dead.  It's designed from the ground up to be an immersive experience and the game mechanics (such as the QTE's) exist only to further immerse the player in the events of the game.  Or Undertale, which manages to use its game mechanics in a lot of creative and unconventional ways, even becoming part of the narrative at times.

I just don't think that statement is universally applicable to games in general, or that designing mechanics to further a game's immersion is inherently flawed.  Nor would we want mechanics that completely throw immersion out the window.  I think you'd find the game less enjoyable to some degree if the thrusters spewed rainbows or if you could triple-wield with an unexplained third appendage.  You probably wouldn't have a problem with a mechanic specifically designed to increase immersion if it had no negative gameplay impacts either.

Where we do agree is that quote-unquote "immersion" (more often than not what they really mean is realism) is often misused as a completely bullshit justification for terrible game mechanics.  Sprint doesn't actually make the game any more immersive for me, nor does any of the other pointless crap like Clamber and so on. It's not making me more invested in the game, it's doing the exact opposite by making the game less fun to play, i.e. it's actually making the game less immersive. Even if it did increase my immersion there's still valid alternatives that would give people the immersion of sprint without the negative gameplay impacts of sprint, like wider FOV, more weapon-sway in first person, louder footsteps in first person, so on.

Unfortunately because of this constant misuse people have grown to despise it as a concept and completely downplay its importance entirely, even though it actually is fairly important.

Feel free to burn me at the stake for bringing up the game that shall not be mentioned in polite company.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Does anyone have the Astro A40 TR Black Headset/Mixamp, and got it working for Xbox One? Not the Xbox One version, or do I have to get the Xbox One version? It's not picking up my mic or anything.

Edit: I'm so fucking done now. They don't fucking work with the fucking Xbox One, because they have the XBOX ONE editions. The black ones aren't compatiable with xbox one because they xbox one editions have a special fucking chip in it. I can't even

There must be a reason you bought the non Xbox one version for your Xbox one? It's unfortunate they don't work cross platform but you should be able to get a chat adapter to make it work, I would imagine.

Look at The Walking Dead.  It's designed from the ground up to be an immersive experience and the game mechanics (such as the QTE's) exist only to further immerse the player in the events of the game. 

Well, I would more describe it as a clunky TV show that crams a bunch of awful, half-assed mechanics in its "narrative-focused experience" in order to manufacture the fragile illusion that you're playing an actual game and what you're doing actually matters, while also guaranteeing that you can't at any point just sit back and enjoy the actual fucking story, but I get your point.  :kappa:

To the larger issue, I think "immersion" is a term so vague in this context that it might as well be meaningless. Which is why I think I would agree with the notion that building your game to be "immersive" is a poor idea. You need to accomplish something more specific in order for that to be relevant. You need a cohesive vision. I guess my ideal picture of "immersion" in a game is one in which all of its constituent parts serve to positively reinforce the core experience of the game. But, again, that requires having the core experience, which obviously can't itself just be "immersion." You are correct that it is most often used as a stand-in for "realism."

In the case of justifying Spartan Gimmicks, it seems to me that the problem is "immersion" contextualized within a setting. They aren't trying to immerse you in the experience of playing a kick-ass Halo game. The goal is to have you immersed in the Halo universe; immersed in the experience of effectively role-playing a Spartan. But it's not just the Halo universe. It's 343's comic book space opera power rangers Halo universe. So the Spartans have to be fucking ridiculous and every doofus that controls one needs to feel ridiculous too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I finished my placements in Slayer and did one in Arena today.  I literally have not played anyone lower than 1700, and most opponents are above 2000 CSR.  The highest I have ever gotten in either playlist is like 1680, but I'm currently diamond 5.  Why the FUCK am I ONLY playing people that are much, much better than I am at the game, literally every single game?  I'm not that good, I've never been that good...I just don't get it.  It is seriously, honest to God, like I'm not allowed to have fun in Arena.  I'm searching focused and the only God damn thing it can give me, game after game, is a hopeless ass beating.  My teammates are good too, so it's just like I'm completely out of place and losing games for my teammates.  This is the opposite of fun.

@@Sal1ent

• Upvote (+1) 1

For the newer members, Josh dropped this on us late 2014. Might be worth a read if you want to here 343 perspective.

Hmm, I read it again but all I got from it was

61456037.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Hmm, I read it again but all I got from it was

61456037.jpg

There's literally not a single argument in there besides 'mmersion and "the average FPS dudebro expects to sprint in games nowadays"

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can we petition to get Altar removed from the game completely? Or at least get a functioning spawn system? Because the spawns on that map especially are just disgusting. Oh you spawned blue? Sorry that's where the enemies are while your team is red. It's like it just decides to spawn you wherever, without regard to anything.

• Upvote (+1) 3

There's literally not a single argument in there besides 'mmersion and "the average FPS dudebro expects to sprint in games nowadays"

I even get the "people expect it nowadays"-argument to some degree but immersion is not even a good argument... if anything, beeing a genteically improved super soldier wearing a hightech, almost tank-like armor, having to lower my weapon in order to go fast just like a regular fatty who got dropped out of boot camp destroys immersion...

• Upvote (+1) 2

So I've found that this assault list is pretty fun and actually resembles social.

Now that could just be because I ignore the OBJ most of the time and lose a lot but either way, it's fun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I even get the "people expect it nowadays"-argument to some degree but immersion is not even a good argument... if anything, beeing a genteically improved super soldier wearing a hightech, almost tank-like armor, having to lower my weapon in order to go fast just like a regular fatty who got dropped out of boot camp destroys immersion...

I feel the same. Sprint breaks my immersion because it's a feeling I mostly equate with A- real life B- COD. In neither of these scenarios do I feel like a super space soldier.

There must be a reason you bought the non Xbox one version for your Xbox one? It's unfortunate they don't work cross platform but you should be able to get a chat adapter to make it work, I would imagine.

They removed the chat port off the newer A40 mixamps.

The kill times of the Storm Rifle should be switched with the pistol, then they should decrease the aim assist/magnetism on the pistol.

I could agree with decreasing magnetism/assist, but then you would have to adjust the rest of the weapons

Since the autos are so powerful, increasing the difficulty of the pistol wouldn't help the powerful autos situation

I'll just jump into the immersion game with a very good and immersive game. The Witcher 3. The game is designed for you to be immersed in the Witcher world, for you to believe that you are stepping into Geralts shoes. It's games like that where Immersion is actually a huge deal. Imagine playing an RPG without feeling connected to the world. Just wouldn't be the same.

I get the worst possible teammates man. So many gooses. The amount of times I have more kills than my entire team combined is just insane. How are people so bad at this game that they don't get ONE kill? The game has so many mechanics in place to just gift you kills.

And for fucks sake the amount of AFK kids.

I'll just jump into the immersion game with a very good and immersive game. The Witcher 3. The game is designed for you to be immersed in the Witcher world, for you to believe that you are stepping into Geralts shoes. It's games like that where Immersion is actually a huge deal. Imagine playing an RPG without feeling connected to the world. Just wouldn't be the same.

I think people are against immersion when it's used to justify bad features in a competitive online game, not when it's used in games like Witcher 3 which is an amazing game btw.

In all honesty, if Josh is telling the truth about possibly getting Party Restrictions in H5; if it comes to fruition, that's more than enough to get me to, at the very least, play this game again. Sprint, splinter grenades, spartan charge, radar, and grenade hitmarkers are still going to be something I'll bitch about, but the teams of champions I'm constantly going against when playing alone just seals the deal for me. In pretty much every Halo game, I've always played Hardcore/MLG type playlist alone (because I'm not one to sit there and just constantly have to look for a team to play... I should be able to just hop in and enjoy myself like I always have been) and I can win damn near majority of the time because I'm actually good at the game and can communicate effectively to get wins against equally matched teams. For perspective, I had damn near 5000+ some odd wins on my 50 (to clarify, after I had already gotten my 50) in H3 MLG and I had a 40 in Team Hardcore in H2. Halo isn't a new thing to me in the slightest; especially at a high level.

Halo 5, I feel like I can barely fucking win, and that pisses me off more than anything because I have almost zero chance when I get "no thumbs" on my team and the opposite team are usually teams playing in the HCS Open. It's not the losses that bother me, it's how I'm losing which annoys the crap out of me considering that majorly positive damn near every game I play and I'm losing by like 20 or 3-0.

This is exactly why I play Overwatch. Competitive mode is amazing because the only time I match Teams of 4 or 5 when I'm playing alone is when I have another team of 4 or 5 on my team. Every other game are other solos-to3s searching (also with equally partied teams on my side as well). Practically every game feels doable win or lose. And THAT is why I've been having so much fun on Overwatch and what I have the biggest issue with in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think people are against immersion when it's used to justify bad features in a competitive online game, not when it's used in games like Witcher 3 which is an amazing game btw.

But it's come to the point where any argument on this forum is thrown out if immersion is used. I see immersion as the developer using tools, sounds, graphics, controls, to make you feel as if you are a part of its world and it's people. THAT is not a bad thing. What 343 is doing with Sprint is trying to make Halo more realistic.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

But it's come to the point where any argument on this forum is thrown out if immersion is used. I see immersion as the developer using tools, sounds, graphics, controls, to make you feel as if you are a part of its world and it's people. THAT is not a bad thing. What 343 is doing with Sprint is trying to make Halo more realistic.

And realism has no reason to be more important than solid mechanics. Look at the game we are playing. There are fucking aliens for crying out loud. The game is not based in realism at all so using "immersion" isn't really a positive thing. Plus that term is just a blanket statement that really doesn't mean anything.

And realism has no reason to be more important than solid mechanics. Look at the game we are playing. There are fucking aliens for crying out loud. The game is not based in realism at all so using "immersion" isn't really a positive thing. Plus that term is just a blanket statement that really doesn't mean anything.

Realism should really be in no place for Gaming unless that is EXACTLY how you are making it and the consumer understands that. Halo was not made to be realistic and realism should stay as far away as possible. Immersion is perfectly fine.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Realism should really be in no place for Gaming unless that is EXACTLY how you are making it and the consumer understands that. Halo was not made to be realistic and realism should stay as far away as possible. Immersion is perfectly fine.

But what exactly is immersion? Why is pressing a button to go faster and lower your weapon more immersive than a fast movement speed? Why is having to look at every wall you want to jump on more immersive than being able to maneuver the map while looking around? That's my problem with them using immersion as a reason.

But what exactly is immersion? Why is pressing a button to go faster and lower your weapon more immersive than a fast movement speed? Why is having to look at every wall you want to jump on more immersive than being able to maneuver the map while looking around? That's my problem with them using immersion as a reason.

It both is and isn't. The way 343 was explaining it was in the context of realism. But you know it's 343. They can't even get playlists correct.