CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Atleast rifles give you a shot vs autos. The pistol just isn't good enough.

Beyond needs less positivity. Cut the crap. This game is a mess.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 4

This is why the only thing I play when I get on is Infection or BTB or the rotational playlist if its good. I don't play the vanilla game at all anymore. I have more fun quitting the build on MCC then I do playing TS in Arena.

You wanna know something?

I remained steadfast the majority of the time I spent playing Arena. There was so much intimidation from all the excess rifles I had to deal with. But I stuck with the Magnum as much as I possibly could, even with the high possibility that every fight I would get would be against an automatic or a Battle Rifle. You could call me crazy, or extremely patient, whatever. But when the maps were changed, and the weapons became more scarce, there was a wave of relief that all that effort to making myself an expert with the Magnum hadn't gone to waste.

My experiences with Arena ever since the update has had much, much more Magnum fights with the occasional mix of BR, DMR, Carbine. There was less SMG and Storm fights, even less Suppressor and Brute Plasma. But I have more than just my experience; over a dozen of my friends, including Batchford, have noticed they were keeping their rifles up more than their automatics, because of the stronger focus of precision.

It's inevitable that you will have a game or a stream of games that will make you upset. Heck, Cooper just gave his distaste of a recent Empire game gone nooby. But there is still many players out there who're willing to push aside their anger towards the automatics and strive to 'get gud' as much as possible. I won't blame you if your final decision is to just sell Halo 5. My goal with this message, I guess, was just wanting to give you a more positive outlook on the whole thing.

Beyond could use a little more positivity.

And significantly less scrubiness. That would help alot too. B)

89% posession with the Magnum says Hi btw. I'm in your camp too. :)

That makes no sense whatsoever. The only rifle that has a faster TTK than all the others is the LR.

You'll kill an auto guy just as well with the magnum as you would with any of the rifles in that range. You just have to be more accurate with the magnum since it's harder to use.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Could be worse. They could think Halo 3 is the best Halo.

Halo 3's not the best Halo?! :kappa:

That makes no sense whatsoever. The only rifle that has a faster TTK than all the others is the LR.

You'll kill an auto guy just as well with the magnum as you would with any of the rifles in that range. You just have to be more accurate with the magnum since it's harder to use.

Ya, the pistol has a higher average ttk than rifles. You shouldn't have to go balls to the walls inorder to kill a kid that is just bum rushing with an auto.

And you shouldn't be able to just straight on bum rush with autos either. That's not fun.

Rifles and pistols have ttk I'm around 1.2 while an SMG is 1.0 and SR is .8.

Once again. This game is a mess.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'm actually pretty happy with balance after the new layouts. Only changes I would make are 1. make pistol 1.1 TTK instead of 1.2 TTK, its the hardest gun to use, reward it. 2. Take shottys and hydras off the maps in FFA, its literally stupid as hell to have 4 power weapons on some of these maps, literally awful. 3. change radar to not show you when your plain walking (then possible buff to 25m). 4. Put good and more traditional halo maps into matchmaking via forge, more coliseum like and less empire/overgrowth.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yea, I'm in the camp of getting better. Since the update there have been many more precision weapon fights at upper Onyx to the point of automatic users being put down fairly quickly when attempting to use autos. I've killed more AR users than before, and the inverse is true. The lessened presence of SMGs and Storms have been great, but I wouldn't mind seeing them taken out of arena entirely. The magnum and rifles stand a good chance against the AR (especially at anything more than close range). The difficulty the magnum faces is the difficult of use.

What makes me sad is knowing that H4/H5 kids exist - and they think "real" Halo is H4/H5

Poor poor kids

Crap I accidently negged, when I was trying to reply.

I remembering being in a Waypoint thread where people just said what is the first Halo game they had gotten into. Suprisingly Reach and 4 were at least 50% of the replies. And unsuprisingly the players that started on Halo 4 were so obviously children with names like XxTh3K1llaxX or JohnnieWiliams73. 

Just keep in mind that when you see stuff on Waypoint just take it less seriously, because there isn't anypoint arguing with children who might not understand the history of the Halo franchise. When they say things like "Stop playing Halo 5 if you like sprint" or "I like sprint so it should stay in the game" just think of this picture.

140474964-crying-kid-gettyimages.jpg?v=1

• Upvote (+1) 7

Misconception. It doesn't need less positivity, it just needs some proper realism to balance. We don't need a cesspool of negativity.

I'm actually pretty happy with balance after the new layouts. Only changes I would make are 1. make pistol 1.1 TTK instead of 1.2 TTK, its the hardest gun to use, reward it. 2. Take shottys and hydras off the maps in FFA, its literally stupid as hell to have 4 power weapons on some of these maps, literally awful. 3. change radar to not show you when your plain walking (then possible buff to 25m). 4. Put good and more traditional halo maps into matchmaking via forge, more coliseum like and less empire/overgrowth.

2.) Why remove Hydras? I'm more for having less of an abundance of power weapons, but don't remove the weapons that're actually challenging to use against competent foes. As weird as it sounds, I'd be more up for replacing Rockets, and Snipers. Either that, or limiting their ammo greatly. Latter of which sounds much better, come to think of it. Oh, and FRG's. Should do the same with that weapon.

3.) Is this Radar buff only for FFA?

4.) This leads to the question, what exactly about Coli is good, in comparison to Empire or Overgrowth? Wide spaces? Good verticality?

Based on my expeditions into the heart of the Waypoint forums, I believe this is what is known as "strategy."

I'm so fucking ass-blasted after reading that.  Because it's completely true.

Based on my expeditions into the heart of the Waypoint forums, I believe this is what is known as "strategy."

Spot on. I don't even know why I still visit.. let alone try to argue with a rock.

Look at CS GO. Your definition of a skill floor would be this: move, aim, shoot, buy AK-47. Anyone can do that. Does that mean CS GO has a low skill floor? God no, CS GO is hard.

Timmy two-hours might be able run around spraying his Galil like a moron, but no sane player would associate that playstyle with the game. Trying to imply that he's a representation of the game played correctly at the bottom level is an insult to the CS GO community. To begin with, the basics of CS GO aren't even hard to learn. There are no complicated control setups, awkward mixed mechanics, etc. It's the things like accuracy management, recoil patterns, and strafing that's difficult to grasp. If we ignored those "essential" skills, then we're inflating the skill gap.

There's also the fact that it's incredibly difficult to narrow down what constitutes "the most basic things a player needs to be able to do in order to play the game".

Look at Halo. What exactly constitute that requirement? Are they things that the game tells you about like moving, aiming, and shooting? Are they mechanics that the developer intentionally added but don't talk about like precision headshot kills? Are they skills that players pick up in multiplayer like strafing? Are they meta techniques like powerup timing and crouch jumping? I use the "average" as the skill floor precisely because it gets rid of that problem. It lets the game's "basics things" be determined by the population, rather than an arbitrary standard that someone came up with.

If the vast majority of Halo players can aim and strafe, then anyone who can't should be considered a "bad" player. Whether it's because they're still learning the game or they can't reach that level of skill, these are skills that every player should know. There's no need to pat the back of Bronze players and tell them that they should feel good about themselves for technically being able to play the game, not when they're a minority.

At the end of it, "bad" players either improve enough to become average or quit the game and the skill gap will shift once more.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I understand your thought process. I just don't agree with it.

Don't forget the pro players who supported autos in a poll

If we had CE Magnum starts those autos wouldn't stand a chance.

If it was Halo 5's CE Pistol, neither would any other weapon in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Don't forget the pro players who supported autos in a poll

Bunch of sell outs that are more concerned with money than the quality of the game (can't blame them though).

"You can kill an AR bum rusher with your magnum even though his gun kills 30% faster, you just have to be more accurate"

lawd, goodbye logic. Reminds me of the Meanbean comment

I corrected Pooper sCooper on his fallacious argument that the rifles stand a better chance against autos. Read what I said again. I never said the magnum beats autos if you're accurate, I said it does AS WELL AS the other rifles.

Smh...

Btw, "git gud" does not refer to getting better at a game, rather it involves the acceptance of the toolsets/abilities/traits within a games meta in order to maximize your chances of winning.

Furthermore, a "scrub" is someone who plays a game with a desire to win and do well, yet bemoans x move or y skill because of personal bias, sometimes outright refusing to use a situational advantage because of it.

Ex. Everyone in this thread that complains about the AR when they always spawn with one.

Or the more classic example

Ex. People who complained that throws were cheap in Street Fighter.

Hell, I'm a giant scrub at this game. Outside of PWs, I ONLY use the magnum because I want to get better with it. As soon as you enter the realm of competing and trying your best to win, yet you place restrictions on yourself that the game does not, you are a scrub. Plain and simple.

"Git gud" is the process of unscrubifying yourself.

So unless you're never concerned over your K/D, W/L, rank, etc. good on you man, have fun. But if you sit in here with the goal of winning and you complain about x situation is cheap or not skillful, then all you're doing is being a scrub.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I corrected Pooper sCooper on his fallacious argument that the rifles stand a better chance against autos. Read what I said again. I never said the magnum beats autos if you're accurate, I said it does AS WELL AS the other rifles.

Smh...

Btw, "git gud" does not refer to getting better at a game, rather it involves the acceptance of the toolsets/abilities/traits within a games meta in order to maximize your chances of winning.

Furthermore, a "scrub" is someone who plays a game with a desire to win and do well, yet bemoans x move or y skill because of personal bias, sometimes outright refusing to use a situational advantage because of it.

Ex. Everyone in this thread that complains about the AR when they always spawn with one.

Or the more classic example

Ex. People who complained that throws were cheap in Street Fighter.

Hell, I'm a giant scrub at this game. Outside of PWs, I ONLY use the magnum because I want to get better with it. As soon as you enter the realm of competing and trying your best to win, yet you place restrictions on yourself that the game does not, you are a scrub. Plain and simple.

"Git gud" is the process of unscrubifying yourself.

So unless you're never concerned over your K/D, W/L, rank, etc. good on you man, have fun. But if you sit in here with the goal of winning and you complain about x situation is cheap or not skillful, then all you're doing is being a scrub.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

You didn't correct me on anything. Rifles do stand a better chance versus autos. They have further effective ranges which can keep autos back. They also have faster average kill times.