CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Scarab fights aren't boss fights. They're walking objectives.

are boss fights not that most of the time?

Unique in that there's no blatant reuse of levels, like Keyes and Two Betrayals, sure, but there's no level that mixes up the linear formula  like Silent Cartographer or Halo. And some of the levels just go on for too long and outstay their welcome. Which I suppose shouldn't be too surprising, when so many of the missions are cut into two. I also felt like CE gave me more incentive to explore, thanks to the inclusion of power ups and medkits.

What I think really keeps CE above 2 in my eyes is the gameplay itself. Everything in CE just felt like it had more impact, from the guns, to the grenades, and even to the melees. Halo 2 also started this trend of Covenant weapons just feeling like shittier human guns that were painted purple. Like the Plasma Rifle went from being a strong, unique weapon that could switch between semi-auto and full-auto depending on how the player pressed the trigger,  to a blue SMG. And the Beam Rifle is just a purple sniper rifle that throws a hissy fit if you shoot it too fast. The best addition, though, would easily be the sword.

One thing I feel like people really underestimate is the impact rechargeable health had on Halo. In the games that utilize a non-rechargeable health system, you'll find that since you can only regain health by finding a limited number of items, there's a greater emphasis on playing the game well, simply because the game is not as tolerant of the player making mistakes. In addition, the amount of health the player has will naturally influence how they engage enemies. Players on low health may simply hang back and try to out range every enemy they see with their pistol, while those at full health may feel ballsy enough to just run and gun. Essentially, with no recharging health and limited health packs, the entire mission is testing the player, while the games with rechargeable health are more about testing the player on an encounter to encounter basis. Ultimately, what you prefer is subjective (duh), but I enjoy the former system far more.

I actually agree 110% with your points on the gameplay (fuck Halo 2's sandbox), and your points on health as well.

I just thought it was better in other areas.  And you can go on and on about SE and Halo but they're only two levels out of the entire Campaign you know?

Mostly just playing devil's advocate at this point as I just don't think one is blatantly superior to the other.

Don't have time to fully explain, but I like how CE has a lot of (forced in some cases) weapon variation in the campaign. At different points in the campaign, different weapon combos are more effective.

Halo 2 has a ton of enemy variation. There are the covenant (which has great variation itself, especially with the addition of drones), the flood, the brutes, sentinels + giant sentinels. And different levels have different combinations of these enemies, keeping you on your toes.

Anything the Halo 2 campaign did wrong in comparison to CE is easily overshadowed by all it did right.

All the Bungie Halos had incredible campaigns in slightly differing ways.

If there ever was an earned cliffhangar, it was Halo 2. H5s campaign makes me want to throw a fucking brick into my washing machine.

The Metropolis level made me forgive everything. I don't know why but no other Tank mission has come close to being that satisfying.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Twice as big."

"Exactly as you remember it."

"The map packs were (insert whatever excuse it was)." 

C'mon, now.

"If you loved halo 1's pistol, you're going to love odst's pistol."

Odst pistol proceeds to shoot pillows

• Upvote (+1) 5

"If you loved halo 1's pistol, you're going to love odst's pistol."

Odst pistol proceeds to shoot pillows

the auto mag was awesome shut your whore mouth sir.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

single player discussion :wutface:

This thread has been loremaster wars for a while now. Since we already know nothing will change in H5
  • Upvote (+1) 7

id argue the scarab fights of 3 were boss battle enough.

Now that I think about it, I actually never considered the Scarab fights as boss fights.

The Metropolis level made me forgive everything. I don't know why but no other Tank mission has come close to being that satisfying.

Could it be because of the Scarab gun? :kappa:

I don't remember that but I will say that game had the best firefight

I don't remember that but I will say that game had the best firefight

Yea. The ODST pistol fired only as fast as you could pull the trigger.

I just thought it was better in other areas.  And you can go on and on about SE and Halo but they're only two levels out of the entire Campaign you know?

Sure, but it's not like those two levels are the only ones I like from CE. I honestly think Pillar of Autumn is the best first mission in the series, and I also enjoy Assault on the Control Room and the Maw.

Meanwhile, in Halo 2, I only really like Outskirts/Metropolis and Delta Halo/Regret. And let's be honest, these aren't four completely different levels, they're just two that were split in half because Bungie hadn't thought of the "Rally Point" system until Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sure, but it's not like those two levels are the only ones I like from CE. I honestly think Pillar of Autumn is the best first mission in the series, and I also enjoy Assault on the Control Room and the Maw.

Meanwhile, in Halo 2, I only really like Outskirts/Metropolis and Delta Halo/Regret. And let's be honest, these aren't four completely different levels, they're just two that were split in half because Bungie hadn't thought of the "Rally Point" system until Halo 3.

Whaaaaaat? You don't like Cairo Station?

It was trash for anything that had a shield. It forced you to carry a green gun in your pocket.

It was trash for anything that had a shield. It forced you to carry a green gun in your pocket.

Isn't that how you're supposed to play the game anyways on legendary? Green gun vital man.

Going back a few pages, I'm surprised we haven't seen the "these H5 kids would get wrecked in older Halos" argument.

Was one of my favorites from the old scrubs.

apparently whore mouth is contagious. In all seriousness though I never had a problem with it, felt it mixed well with the smg.

Going back a few pages, I'm surprised we haven't seen the "these H5 kids would get wrecked in older Halos" argument.

Was one of my favorites from the old scrubs.

these H5 kids would get wrecked in older Halos

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo just needs to stop trying to make boss fights.

But who can forgot the legendary final battle with guilty spark? :kappa:

apparently whore mouth is contagious. In all seriousness though I never had a problem with it, felt it mixed well with the smg.

It's not about whether you had fun with it; it's about the implication by bungie that it was going to be like the h1 pistol

• Upvote (+1) 1