CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think core gameplay wise Reach pre-TU is the worst Halo experience possible. And then the TU saved the game and Anniversary was amazing, the game honestly has bipolar disorder lol.

Still can't believe 343i saved Reach and then did a complete 180° and continued down Bungie's path of making every successive title worse than the one before.

Although it had some problems I had so much fun with Halo Anniversary. I wish more people would play it.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Although it had some problems I had so much fun with Halo Anniversary. I wish more people would play it.

I wish we still had Anniversary BTB. Loved that game mode. And now that it's gone, I think some of the Anniversary achievements are now all but impossible to get.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wish we still had Anniversary BTB. Loved that game mode. And now that it's gone, I think some of the Anniversary achievements are now all but impossible to get.

I think all of them are possible, just not solely from the Anniversary disc. 

Well halo wars 2 just got some competition in the fall. Xcom 2 was just confirmed for consoles in early September.

Xcom > halo wars

Well halo wars 2 just got some competition in the fall. Xcom 2 was just confirmed for consoles in early September.

Xcom > halo wars

That's grand. Still waiting on an HW2 release date. Oh, E3, come here sooner, plz.

It's 343 that needs to read it, not us.

Learn a thing or two. Possibly focus on the part about party restrictions.

They put out a 17 minute video explaining how the game works under the hood. Why oh why are we stuck with a dev who doesn't communicate at all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Xcom > halo wars

You haven't even seen Halo Wars 2 yet.

Xcom > halo wars

But will XCOM 2 have console mod support like Fallout 4 does now?

Besides, XCOM and Halo Wars are pretty much the opposite of each other when it comes to their strategy subgenres. XCOM is turn-based and focuses on just a few units at any given time, while Halo Wars is an RTS (albeit a very simple one) and obviously focuses on entire armies.

I'm not sure what I'm more excited for, H5PC or to see how in the world they've configured all of the buttons and abilities onto a KB/M on H5PC.

Gotta use your ult.  Shift, E, and Q my friend ;)

RTS games would like to say hello. From my pov, having a higher input demand in fps games is enjoyable, makes the game feel faster in many ways outside of other factors.

Physically exhausting though? Lol I would be thoroughly surprised to see the APM of Halo 5 be close to any FG/RTS.

Except that H5 has no where near the depth of strategy of an RTS nor the meaningful complexity (you're controlling an army, not one character) and fighting games are an entirely different beast (1v1, minimal map influence, always in each other's faces). I'm not sure what that comparison is supposed to prove.

What Halo 5 has is clutter. The vast majority of the "higher input" demand offered brings nothing significant to the game at all. Just look at the state of trick jumps in this game. Press sprint, gain speed, jump, release the stick, hold half of the buttons on the controller, and finally clamber. I would take relatively simple, yet demanding crouch jumps any day over that mess of thrusters, smart-link, and "modern" clamber any day. It creates the illusion of skill requirement when the majority of the jumps in H5 are actually very easy. They're just annoying and tiresome. They create even more disconnect between combat and movement. This is not Quake 3 input we're talking about. It's Halo with a bunch of bloated crap designed first and foremost to look cool and Immersive™. Halo has never been about high APM. It's been about strategy and execution skill.

• Upvote (+1) 4

But will XCOM 2 have console mod support like Fallout 4 does now?

Besides, XCOM and Halo Wars are pretty much the opposite of each other when it comes to their strategy subgenres. XCOM is turn-based and focuses on just a few units at any given time, while Halo Wars is an RTS (albeit a very simple one) and obviously focuses on entire armies.

True. But if I'm buying xcom I'm mot buying HW2.

Whatever you say.

Well xcon 2 is an 88 on metacritic for PC and that was with a lot of launch bugs. These bugs have been patched and won't be there for the console launch. So you're looking at a 90+ game.

You think halo wars 2 will be a 90+ metacritic?

I think core gameplay wise Reach pre-TU is the worst Halo experience possible. And then the TU saved the game and Anniversary was amazing, the game honestly has bipolar disorder lol.

Still can't believe 343i saved Reach and then did a complete 180° and continued down Bungie's path of making every successive title worse than the one before.

By the time Reach was saved, many had moved on.

2 completely different games. Xcom is turn based, HW is an RTS, almost a watered version of Warcraft3 with a Halo skin.

Well xcon 2 is an 88 on metacritic for PC and that was with a lot of launch bugs. These bugs have been patched and won't be there for the console launch. So you're looking at a 90+ game.

You think halo wars 2 will be a 90+ metacritic?

lol. Metacritic. MCC is an 85.

• Upvote (+1) 3

lol. Metacritic. MCC is an 85.

MCC is a tough example to go by. You can't really blame reviewers at the time because the way reviews were conducted at the time made them susceptible to missing out on launch online issues. 

Now we don't get reviews for online games until well after launch. If anything MCC helped reviews become better and more accurate.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's like saying "if I buy Peggle I'm not gonna buy Halo because I think Peggle is better". Completely different games, completely different genres, and completely different experiences.

Unless you're so short on cash that you can't afford both games, which you're clearly not, then doing something like that is just blind fanboyism.

That's like saying "if I buy Peggle I'm not gonna buy Halo because I think Peggle is better". Completely different games, completely different genres, and completely different experiences.

Unless you're so short on cash that you can't afford both games, which you're clearly not, then doing something like that is just blind fanboyism.

They are both strategy games. One is real time, one is turn based. It's like comparing halo to COD.

I don't want to buy two $95 strategy games within a couple months.