CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It's just one piece of the story. Sales is important, so is retention, so are reviews etc... etc...

Sales on their own are pretty meaningless to the people playing the game, so unless you're directly profiting from it, I'm not sure why you would care. All it does is establish the total customer base. And, of course, 343 doesn't actually advertise units sold (presumably because it's not very good), so the numbers Xbox threw around basically just told us how much money they made on "limited edition" Halo 5 crap.

Reviews are written by random enthusiasts and no shortage of failed journalist who couldn't get a real journalism job and, yet again, the only entity with any real motivation to care what scores a game got are the developer/publisher.

Player retention, on the other hand, is a measure of the long term success and viability of a game's multiplayer foundations and is a good predictor of the future trajectory of the IP. If people didn't want to play the game very long, it's not unreasonable to assume that they won't be particularly interested in picking up the continuation of that formula. Halo 4 had good sales and good reviews, yet had god-awful player retention. Which of those do you think was more representative of the future of the franchise?

• Upvote (+1) 3

How do you know that before the game comes out lol... It sold plenty, more than Halo 2 and very close to Halo 3. It was so trash that it almost made no dent to the number of sales of Halo 4 (almost the same)?

I can understand if Bungie released a few games on level with Halo 5, but this is the game which is the successor to HALO 3. I don't care if its not numbered, or some how the beta was "trash".

Destiny is "trash" but it still did amazingly... If you don't want to believe COD had a significant impact on the popularity of Halo then... idk what to say.

CoD had an impact. But not to the extent that some people want to believe.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sales on their own are pretty meaningless to the people playing the game, so unless you're directly profiting from it, I'm not sure why you would care. All it does is establish the total customer base. And, of course, 343 doesn't actually advertise units sold (presumably because it's not very good), so the numbers Xbox threw around basically just told us how much money they made on "limited edition" Halo 5 crap.

Reviews are written by random enthusiasts and no shortage of failed journalist who couldn't get a real journalism job and, yet again, the only entity with any real motivation to care what scores a game got are the developer/publisher.

Player retention, on the other hand, is a measure of the long term success and viability of a game's multiplayer foundations and is a good predictor of the future trajectory of the IP. If people didn't want to play the game very long, it's not unreasonable to assume that they won't be particularly interested in picking up the continuation of that formula. Halo 4 had good sales and good reviews, yet had god-awful player retention. Which of those do you think was more representative of the future of the franchise?

I both disagree and agree, all of it adds up to the overall story.

There is a big downwards spiral with regards to Halo reviews, and it's been dropping ever since Halo CE. That is pretty much the same from what I'm seeing in terms of interest from people here. Claiming CE was the best, 2 and 3 close, all downhill from there. Reviews obviously has its problems but it's a piece of the pie never the less. 

Sales has a very similar correlation with this too.

Player retention will not measure to me how good the campaign is, how good the graphics are, is the story great etc... But I agree with pretty much everything you say in general. I just believe stuff like reviews and sales are important too.

Edit: Also I believe it was Josh (?) who said that Halo 5 player retention is at it's best since Halo 3. Does that mean it's better than Reach in your eyes?

Yeah.

Man, would Action Sack even play well at this point? 343 has shown Spartan Abilities can even screw up Grifball.

...as much as I want social playlists as well, the game simply cannot be played casually (and in many ways, not even competitively) with all Spartan Abilities ticked on.

The game controls like a battleship with them. There's so many inputs for every little action you perform on the map that it is physically exhausting to play for long periods of time, regardless of how little combat you plan on seeing. 

Unless that social playlist is played entirely on nothing but 'good' Forge maps..

I'm not sure what I'm more excited for, H5PC or to see how in the world they've configured all of the buttons and abilities onto a KB/M on H5PC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

H3 was xbl's most played game in 07 and 08. In 09, in its 3rd year it settled into second place behind MW2.

In 2010 reach releases. Within 5 months it is in SEVENTH place on the xbl top 10.

Are you really going to sit here and tell me that during those 5 months the only thing that effected halo was COD? That somehow MW3 could send a brand new halo game into 7th place while MW2 could only push a three year old halo game to 2nd place? Really? That makes sense to you?

Doesn't it make a hell of a lot more sense that during those 5 months people played reach, realised they didn't like it and stopped playing it because IT wasn't good?

What are you talking about. I never said Reach not being as good as 3 has no affect? I just said its an interesting drop, I do attribute a lot of that to the success of COD.

Not sure what the hell is with the passive aggressiveness. I have not disagreed with you anywhere. I just am placing a larger emphasis on the popularity of COD on Xbox.

In the time between Halo 3 and Reach, we've had MW1, MW2, WaW, Black Ops 1. All four of those games were massive, great COD IP juggernauts. 

Thats literally all I said. A drop in interest, a fair amount of it can be attributed the popularity increase of COD.

You're telling me that if between Halo 3 and Reach, all we had is MW1 and 2 that Reach would still have the same drop in interest?

Edit: What the fuck are you even talking about??? I'm talking about google searches from before Reach was released? What does Mw3 have to do with this???????????

• Downvote (-1) 6

You're telling me that if between Halo 3 and Reach, all we had is MW1 and 2 that Reach would still have the same drop in interest?

Yes

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes

Alright thats fine if you believe that. Has nothing to do with what I was arguing because I still agree. Nothing you've said I disagree with.

Think I've asked before, but can you get the Astro emblem in REQ packs?

Yup.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 was xbl's most played game in 07 and 08. In 09, in its 3rd year it settled into second place behind MW2.

In 2010 reach releases. Within 5 months it is in SEVENTH place on the xbl top 10.

Are you really going to sit here and tell me that during those 5 months the only thing that effected halo was COD? That somehow MW3 could send a brand new halo game into 7th place while MW2 could only push a three year old halo game to 2nd place? Really? That makes sense to you?

Doesn't it make a hell of a lot more sense that during those 5 months people played reach, realised they didn't like it and stopped playing it because IT wasn't good?

Actually

Halo 3 was still the most played in 09 according to Kotaku

But CoD was trading weeks at the top with Halo 3 in 08. https://majornelson.com/2008/01/22/live-activity-for-week-of-1-14/

Yup.

Ah, good. A mate was telling me you have to buy a pair of Astros and you get a code.

Ah, good. A mate was telling me you have to buy a pair of Astros and you get a code.

In the case that you get the Astros and use that code, I think the emblem is replaced by some REQ points.

Oh cool. So 07, 08, and 09.

I never said h3 always held the top spot in 08.

Never said you did. I was just providing more context to everything.

Thought it was worth noting that Halo had been overtaken prior to '10, but it was still winning on a yearly basis.

Halo fell off because of bad halo games, not other games. Halo can still be a contender. Just need to release a 90+ score wise.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 4 should be proof enough that a Halo game can flop solely due to being bad.

That game failed too quickly and too badly for me to blame "competition".

• Upvote (+1) 7

Nope, I already told you halo 5 is shit. I'm saying for a game with decent servers and ranked playlists and a quit ban system that isn't broken.

Social lists I couldn't give a shit.

And quitbans will discourage people from playing in those playlists if their connection is shit.

Well, if everyone could agree as you do that halo 5 at least doesn't deserve to have a quitbanning system I'd be happy to leave it at that even though I disagree with quitbans in general. Unfortunately, most people can't even grant that h5 shouldn't have a quitbanning system despite the objective flaws with the game that I pointed out

I hate that argument, "there's too much competition so it can't compete", like it's supposed to excuse poor performance, but they dont get that that's the problem, halo isn't good enough anymore to not be effected by other games, where as before halo wasn't competing with other games, other games were competing with halo, because even in the face of games like fallout, gta, cod, bf and many others who's sequels would eventually win out against halos sequels, halo still came out on top, that isn't the case anymore.

Spartan Company Update

As I've mentioned before, I don't care about wearing the Achilles helmet so much as I'm just OCD and would like to have all the REQ permanents.  To that end, out of the 17 commendations we have left, 13 of them will be completed without extra effort; we're already at level 5, they're simple things like "get a headshot" or whatever.  The last 4 of 17 are a bit trickier; 

1. Splatter (any vehicle, any opponent)

2. Splatter/kill (ground vehicle, spartan opponent)

3. Spartan Charge

4. Assassination

We're on level 4 for all of these and it may take quite a while ... I've been doing a bit more Ghost/Hog splattering in Warzone than normal, but one person can only do so much.  Anyway, if anyone wants to go on a camo assassination spree in Warzone, now is the time!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah the "competition" argument is seriously flawed. People used to buy Xboxes to play Halo. The COD crowd is split on 3 platforms, actually used to be 4 with the Wii. So to fall 7 places on your own console when you used to be the system seller is pretty bad. Then Halo 4 and 5 happened and were even worse. I mean especially with how poor the Xbox One has been received you'd think it'd be like the original Xbox again where it was a Halo machine for most people and everyone else was on the superior Playstation (which had greater variety of games back in the day, and nowadays has superior hardware and arguably superior games). Halo 5 being so far down on the Xbox most played list looks even worse when you consider that most people are on Playstation.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We shall see. I doubt Halo 6 will be a huge flop.

I mean Halo 5 is already a flop. See my topic on sales figures and my above post. Halo 5 in 8 months has barely sold more than Halo 3 did on day 1. I'm sure it broke even considering it moves Xboxes for Microsoft but I have to imagine their expectations were much higher while Halo 5 was in development. It was almost assuredly supposed to be a "tentpole" release for Microsoft to bolster console sales and increase overall units of other games for licencing revenue. It's amazing to me that more people have not been held accountable for the failure of the MCC and Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's amazing to me that more people have not been held accountable for the failure of the MCC and Halo 5.

The problem is, what can they do?  Give the IP to another Franken-studio and have the same growing pains and issues again?  Despite its problems, Bungie is literally magic (see Destiny) and knows how to do social/popular games.  It's hard to recreate that.  H5 is at least better than H4 ... I think 343 has probably done just well enough to be given a chance with H6

Spartan Company Update

As I've mentioned before, I don't care about wearing the Achilles hemlet so much as I'm just OCD and would like to have all the REQ permanents.  To that end, out of the 17 commendations we have left, 13 of them will be completed without extra effort; we're already at level 5, they're simple things like "get a headshot" or whatever.  The last 4 of 17 are a bit trickier; 

1. Splatter (any vehicle, any opponent)
2. Splatter (ground vehicle, spartan opponent)
3. Spartan Charge
4. Assassination

We're on level 4 for all of these and it may take quite a while ... I've been doing a bit more Ghost/Hog splattering in Warzone than normal, but one person can only do so much.  Anyway, if anyone wants to go on a camo assassination spree in Warzone, now is the time!

Been spamming tanks as much as I can for ground vehicle kills.