CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think the drop between Halo 3 and Reach is what interests me the most. What sort of bad game, or reputation was there between that time frame to affect the interest and Halo. Especially being the last Halo game from Bungie. Has just above half (?) the interest of Halo 2 and Halo 3.

I guess this comes to show the popularity of COD and other shoots really affected the interest in Halo. Either way it was gonna go downhill from there.

Everyone who played the Reach beta, knew the game would be trash.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

what reason is there for Reach to be at almost half interest if not for the increase in COD popularity?

Because the game itself was god awful.

You and a handful of others disagreeing doesn't change that.

Some people still swear the MCC always worked for them too.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Did the graph provide the y axis metric? Like 10k, 20k, 100k, or 200k searches??

Google doesn't give that data, just a metric of 1-100, in terms of "search volume". If you want more specifics, Halo 3 got a '97', Reach '70', Halo 4 '65' and Halo 5 '31'.

If you want some more data, its interesting stuff https://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=Halo

Serbia, Colombia and Mexico have higher "search volume" than the US.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because the game itself was god awful.

You and a handful of others disagreeing doesn't change that.

Some people still swear the MCC always worked for them too.

How do you know that before the game comes out lol... It sold plenty, more than Halo 2 and very close to Halo 3. It was so trash that it almost made no dent to the number of sales of Halo 4 (almost the same)?

I can understand if Bungie released a few games on level with Halo 5, but this is the game which is the successor to HALO 3. I don't care if its not numbered, or some how the beta was "trash". 

Destiny is "trash" but it still did amazingly... If you don't want to believe COD had a significant impact on the popularity of Halo then... idk what to say.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How do you know that before the game comes out lol... It sold plenty, more than Halo 2 and very close to Halo 3.

If 9 million is "close" to 12 million, maybe. 

I wonder if that graph takes into account Beyonce's - Halo :kappa:

I thought the same thing. Darn you for taking my plus rep. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

If 9 million is "close" to 12 million, maybe. 

Reach sold 9.76 million. Halo 3 11.9 million. I'd say considering how "shit", "trash" and "god awful" Halo Reach is, it did pretty well compared to the king.

There is no other game which has sold as close to Halo 3 as Reach has, and take into account market saturation of a mid generation shooter, in comparison to Halo 3. The success of MW series, it did well.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Lack of social has made low level ranked smurf city.

Yeah.

Man, would Action Sack even play well at this point? 343 has shown Spartan Abilities can even screw up Grifball.

...as much as I want social playlists as well, the game simply cannot be played casually (and in many ways, not even competitively) with all Spartan Abilities ticked on.

The game controls like a battleship with them. There's so many inputs for every little action you perform on the map that it is physically exhausting to play for long periods of time, regardless of how little combat you plan on seeing. 

Unless that social playlist is played entirely on nothing but 'good' Forge maps..

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 2 and 3 had higher search volume because there was hype about the campaign and multiplayer with new revolutionary features like theatre and Forge. Reach had a subpar beta and nothing really new. And people cared about what would happen to master chief. Nobody really cared about reachs story.

Halo 2 and 3 had higher search volume because there was hype about the campaign and multiplayer with new revolutionary features like theatre and Forge. Reach had a subpar beta and nothing really new. And people cared about what would happen to master chief. Nobody really cared about reachs story.

So you're saying the drop between 3 and Reach has absolutely nothing to do with the massive success of MW1 and MW2? Or if there is any effect that it is so negligible and just down to it not being Halo numbered?

The beta was awful for the competitive community you mean.

Reach sold 9.76 million. Halo 3 11.9 million. I'd say considering how "shit", "trash" and "god awful" Halo Reach is, it did pretty well compared to the king.

There is no other game which has sold as close to Halo 3 as Reach has, and take into account market saturation of a mid generation shooter, in comparison to Halo 3. The success of MW series, it did well.

Don't argue MP success with sales numbers.

H4 sold pretty well also.

I had so many friends who never even played Reach because MW1 and MW2 had their hooks in them so bad. I think people just had Halo fatigue by the time Reach came out and after MW1 and MW2 proved to be so "innovative" 

• Upvote (+1) 2

What does MW1 have to do with Reachs (lack of) success? MW1 was out in 2007 just like H3 and XBL charts of that time show that Halo had no problem holding top 3 against CoD until Bungie started turning their back and came up with the fancy new Halo fomula..

I'm not saying CoD's growing populatity didn't impact Halo but it's not like Bungie is the helpless victim here...they started the trend of alienating their fans, causing the community to slowly break apart

• Upvote (+1) 4

What does MW1 have to do with Reachs (lack of) success? MW1 was out in 2007 just like H3 and XBL charts of that time show that Halo had no problem holding top 3 against CoD until Bungie started turning their back and came up with the fancy new Halo fomula..

I'm not saying CoD's growing populatity didn't impact Halo but it's not like Bungie is the helpless victim here...they started the trend of alienating their fans, causing the community to slowly break apart

I agree, that is part of the reason. But MW1 was the first of its kind, then came WaW, Mw2, Black ops. Real heavy COD juggernauts in terms of IP. I never played a COD game until MW2 (with WaW at friends).

This definitely had an effect, and I can totally see that with the way Halo 4 went, and Bungie games (Reach, Destiny) in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Everyone in here keeps talking about sales numbers like it measures a games success.  These days with so many sequel games and the preorder syndrome, a game could sale millions and still might be a total hunk a shit.  Retention rates is what I care about. How long do people keep playing the game seems like a much more valuable metric when considering success. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Everyone in here keeps talking about sales numbers like it measures a games success. These days with so many sequel games and the preorder syndrome, a game could sale millions and still might be a total hunk a shit. Retention rates is what I care about. How long do people keep playing the game seems like a much more valuable metric when considering success.

I don't know. If I'm a businessman the amount of money in my wallet would be the most important factor.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Everyone in here keeps talking about sales numbers like it measures a games success.  These days with so many sequel games and the preorder syndrome, a game could sale millions and still might be a total hunk a shit.  Retention rates is what I care about. How long do people keep playing the game seems like a much more valuable metric when considering success. 

It's just one piece of the story. Sales is important, so is retention, so are reviews etc... etc...

• Downvote (-1) 1

I don't know. If I'm a businessman the amount of money in my wallet would be the most important factor.

A good business man thinks long term.  Bad flops that sell well because of pre-orders hurt the product image in the long term which directly impacts long term revenue.  

Take me for instance;  I am a die hard Halo fan.   After MCC and Halo 5, I am not really even interested in buying Halo 6.  IF they brought it to PC, which is my platform of choice, I would probably buy it for at least the campaign.  

Halo 5 did not retain my attention, and thus I consider it a failure.  Halo 4 is in the same boat. 1, 2, 3, and Reach on the other hand did retain my attention for a very long time.   I consider them successful.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

So you're saying the drop between 3 and Reach has absolutely nothing to do with the massive success of MW1 and MW2? Or if there is any effect that it is so negligible and just down to it not being Halo numbered?

Of course it has something to do, but the drops in the interest is bigger than the drops in sales.

A good business man thinks long term. Bad flops that sell well because of pre-orders hurt the product image in the long term which directly impacts long term revenue.

Take me for instance; I am a die hard Halo fan. After MCC and Halo 5, I am not really even interested in buying Halo 6. IF they brought it to PC, which is my platform of choice, I would probably buy it for at least the campaign.

Halo 5 did not retain my attention, and thus I consider it a failure. Halo 4 is in the same boat. 1, 2, 3, and Reach on the other hand did retain my attention for a very long time. I consider them successful.

We shall see. I doubt Halo 6 will be a huge flop.

Yeah.

Man, would Action Sack even play well at this point? 343 has shown Spartan Abilities can even screw up Grifball.

...as much as I want social playlists as well, the game simply cannot be played casually (and in many ways, not even competitively) with all Spartan Abilities ticked on.

The game controls like a battleship with them. There's so many inputs for every little action you perform on the map that it is physically exhausting to play for long periods of time, regardless of how little combat you plan on seeing. 

Unless that social playlist is played entirely on nothing but 'good' Forge maps..

You say that like they aren't willing to flip off certain abilities when needed. 

Infection disables sprint and ground pounds for the zombies, for example. I think they also fixed one-hit kill Gravity Hammer Spartan Charge kills in the latest update too.

We shall see. I doubt Halo 6 will be a huge flop.

I don't think 6 will be a flop.  MCC surely was though and Halo 5 was mediocre all around.  I feel like I wasted money on both, especially MCC.  That makes me not want to buy 6, even though I am a Halo fan.  I'm still bitter.  Basically, track record has killed my hype of the franchise. MCC was totally non functional and everything with Halo 5 is half assed.   

• Upvote (+1) 1