CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I don't understand why they even have quit bans in this game. They're great when used correctly but they don't actually address any of the reasons that people stop playing nor do they match you appropriately searching solo so the ban is just a punishment that will often kick in when it wasn't needed to begin with and none of the issues causing quits are ever addressed in any way shape or form. The only thing their matching system does is put you in a game with players who are within a few orders of magnitude of each other skill wise and if you happen to match a full party well get fucked. Skill matching in Halo hasn't been done correctly since Halo 3. No aspect of H5 MM is the peak of what we've had in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wait what, is this real? Never seen this before.

I REALLY dug the Knights of Cyodinia Muse trailer, it's actually one of my favourite trailers of all time (gameplay). It got me SO pumped for the game, think I watched it maybe 20 times. 

I'm still salty how Halo 5 turned out. Fuck this shit.

Wow I love lagging out because of shitty servers and going down 30 csr when I go up like 5 csr a win.

This fucking game.

Oh and I'm quit banned too.

Wow

You just have to accept the consequences
  • Upvote (+1) 3

You just have to accept the consequences

Lmaoooo I actually burst out into laughter hahahaha

Just cuz how casual and back handed that was.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I sometimes wonder if I would have felt better about it if the marketing fit.

I mean, probably. A lot of issues people have are with how the marketing was, over the story itself. I've seen a some people ACTUALLY criticize the story, but it's been more so contained to "x trailer was misleading. Game's nothing like the trailers" or, "sucks this doesn't happen in game".

Lagging out is not my action.

i know and I'm being a bit facetious. But I don't think it's reasonable to say someone should just "accept the consequences" when it's a 3v4 against a to4. That's completely out of my control and I don't know why I wouldn't quit

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Moa

@@Quackers

Regarding quitbanning, the bottom line is that I spent my own money to buy this game and it's ridiculous for it to ban me from playing it for quitting. The reasons for quitting are numerous. Here are a few examples:

1. One of my other teammates quits out and I don't want to suffer through a 3v4.

2. We're down 20 to 7 in a slayer because this game thinks it's ok to match to4s against people searching by themselves

3. I get a map like Torque in FFA and would rather watch paint dry

4. The other team statwhores all game in a CTF that is a 4v2 in their favor.

5. I disconnect

6. I'm playing a FFA and get a phone call from my boss

Maybe there would be an argument for quit banning in ranked playlists if the system were more like H3's i.e. an abundance of fun social gametypes that are an alternative to ranked. In this game, almost every playlist is ranked so there's not really an alternative like social slayer. I know this is a competitive forum but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that video games are generally for relaxing. If I get back from a long day and want to relax I shouldn't be FORCED to stay in a game against a to4 with brainless teammates or play FFA on a map I hate.

You need to chill, Ugug. Most people negged you because you said some of your important reasons are

"I got a phone call"

"We're down against a to4"

"I don't like Torque"

All those reasons are absolutely indefensible garbage. If you get a phone call then just put the controller down. If you don't like the map, sorry, suck it up. If you're against a to4, suck it up. Of course we criticize 343 for not putting in separate lists for solo vs to4 but that doesn't mean you should quit just because you are losing to an organized team. Comebacks can happen so don't be a quitter because quitters piss people off and you are a detriment to the rest of the players' enjoyment of the game.

The other ones most people agree are reasonable. If someone on your team quits, then everyone else on the team who quits should not get penalized. You shouldn't get a ban for a disconnect in this game because the servers are so terrible. Normally you should because it's a sign that someone unplugged their cord but in this game? Nah. These aren't the reasons people are criticizing you for though (for the most part) so you can stop acting like a passive aggressive baby.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You need to chill, Ugug. Most people negged you because you said some of your important reasons are

"I got a phone call"

"I don't like Torque"

All those reasons are absolutely indefensible garbage. If you get a phone call then just put the controller down. If you don't like the map, sorry, suck it up. If you're against a to4, suck it up. Of course we criticize 343 for not putting in separate lists for solo vs to4 but that doesn't mean you should quit just because you are losing to an organized team. Comebacks can happen so don't be a quitter because quitters piss people off and you are a detriment to the rest of the players' enjoyment of the game.

The other ones most people agree are reasonable. If someone on your team quits, then everyone else on the team who quits should not get penalized. You shouldn't get a ban for a disconnect in this game because the servers are so terrible. Normally you should because it's a sign that someone unplugged their cord but in this game? Nah. These aren't the reasons people are criticizing you for though (for the most part) so you can stop acting like a passive aggressive baby.

Not sure how I'm acting like a baby. I'm perfectly chill.

If I get a phone call and put the controller down how is that any different than quitting for my team? Lol. In the case of a team slayer it would actually be preferable for my team for me to quit because otherwise when I was afk I'd be giving the other team free kills and possibly giving my own team bad spawns. So explain how that's "indefensible garbage"

As for the others, a video game in my view isn't about "sucking it up" for some ideal of never quitting. It's about having fun. If I'm getting railed by a to4 because the to4 is dragging out a ctf game and my teammates have 0 kills I don't think I have any obligation to suck it up. If you think I do, I'd have to say you're taking video games way too seriously.

• Downvote (-1) 2

If I get a phone call and put the controller down how is that any different than quitting for my team? Lol. In the case of a team slayer it would actually be preferable for my team for me to quit because otherwise when I was afk I'd be giving the other team free kills and possibly giving my own team bad spawns. So explain how that's "indefensible garbage"

As for the others, a video game in my view isn't about "sucking it up" for some ideal of never quitting. It's about having fun. If I'm getting railed by a to4 because the to4 is dragging out a card game and my teammates have 0 kills I don't think I have any obligation to suck it up. If you think I do, I'd have to say you're taking video games way too seriously.

Tbh in Halo 5 I quit if my teammates are idiots or if some BS happens. I just dont care about the game that much

Halo 5 campaign severely hurt my interest for halo lore. I own all these books, and merchandise. I don't even want to beat halo 5 again, or read a damn book.

• Upvote (+1) 3

As for the others, a video game in my view isn't about "sucking it up" for some ideal of never quitting. It's about having fun. If I'm getting railed by a to4 because the to4 is dragging out a ctf game and my teammates have 0 kills I don't think I have any obligation to suck it up. If you think I do, I'd have to say you're taking video games way too seriously.

Yeah, exactly, it's about having fun, and by quitting you're taking away the fun of OTHER PEOPLE. Obviously, there are situations where quitting is reasonable, but these are complete outliers, like your team not playing or betraying each other the whole game or something. Almost any other situation is unacceptable and makes you an inconsiderate dickhead.

It's not about your perception of the game and what games are supposed to be, it's about having a little bit of compassion and ability to empathize with your teammates.

The H5 quit ban system is certainly ridiculous though.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 5 campaign severely hurt my interest for halo lore. I own all these books, and merchandise. I don't even want to beat halo 5 again, or read a damn book.

Why? The story itself only contradicted lore a few times, mainly in regards to the Domain being back up mysteriously, and the Mantle's Approach's "heart" making an emergency slipspace jump despite Chief nuking it. The Domain "semi" impacts lore in regards to the Forerunners making the choice to fire the rings, knowing they'd destroy their essential history, whereas the latter can be explained in a Canon Fodder blog. The main issues lay in writing and pacing, and from that, I'd get if Halo 5's story stopped your interest in Halo 6's. But to make you want to stop reading a book, possibly unrelated to it or to hurt your interest in lore overall? Seems like a slight overreaction. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

i was onyx something last season in ffa. played well enough in my placements, and they put me at diamond 1. why?

Same here. It was on life-support after Halo 4 and The Forerunner Saga books, where 343 revealed some of the biggest mysteries in the series (with very little emotional payoff I might add, though I liked the Greg Bear books). And now after Halo 5, there aren't any threads or questions in the universe that I ponder about anymore. It's just a mess that I don't care about.

I think 343 started juggling too many story arcs too soon. They needed to get their feet under them first, and then slowly start to leverage some of the mystery surrounding the Forerunners for their game stories. Unfortunately, restraint wasn't really in their playbook it seems. They thought we needed to know the entire history of the Forerunners before they had released their second game for some reason.

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. Doesn't mean they can't bring the magic back later. It won't be easy though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"I got a phone call"

"I don't like Torque"

All those reasons are absolutely indefensible garbage. 

this is exactly why

we get your time is important, but so is everyones

What's really been annoying me is how 343 just treats the extended universe as a tool to hype up the next Halo game. Bungie of course did this as well with Fall of Reach and First Strike, but ever since 2006, with the release of Ghosts of Onyx, we've seen that the Halo Universe is perfectly capable of telling stories that have little to no relevance to their corresponding Halo game. Like Ghosts of Onyx doesn't lead into Halo 3 like the past two Nylund books did, and Contact Harvest and The Cole Protocol certainly weren't trying to hype up ODST.

But then when Halo 4 was approaching, pretty much EVERYTHING 343 released (aside from the definitive editions of past novels) all tied into Halo 4 in some way. And all the media connected with 4 ended up being a mixed bag. I've already expressed my distaste for the Kilo-5 trilogy, I honestly feel like the Forerunner series peaked early with the first book and then quickly declined in quality (Silentium felt more like Halo 4's Backstory: Novel Edition than a story in its own right), and I actually liked Forward Unto Dawn.

However, with Halo 5, I don't think I can call any piece of media associated with it anything above "okay", with the majority being pretty subpar. The first season of Hunt the Truth was well-acted and everything, but the more I've thought about it, the more problems I've found.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What's really been annoying me is how 343 just treats the extended universe as a tool to hype up the next Halo game. Bungie of course did this as well with Fall of Reach and First Strike, but ever since 2006, with the release of Ghosts of Onyx, we've seen that the Halo Universe is perfectly capable of telling stories that have little to no relevance to their corresponding Halo game. Like Ghosts of Onyx doesn't lead into Halo 3 like the past two Nylund books did, and Contact Harvest and The Cole Protocol certainly weren't trying to hype up ODST.

But then when Halo 4 was approaching, pretty much EVERYTHING 343 released (aside from the definitive editions of past novels) all tied into Halo 4 in some way. And all the media connected with 4 ended up being a mixed bag. I've already expressed my distaste for the Kilo-5 trilogy, I honestly feel like the Forerunner series peaked early with the first book and then quickly declined in quality (Silentium felt more like Halo 4's Backstory: Novel Edition than a story in its own right), and I actually liked Forward Unto Dawn.

However, with Halo 5, I don't think I can call any piece of media associated with it anything above "okay", with the majority being pretty subpar. The first season of Hunt the Truth was well-acted and everything, but the more I've thought about it, the more problems I've found.

You obviously haven't read, Last Light, Broken Circle, Hunters in the Dark, New Blood, Saints Testimony.

Because you've made several posts mocking people for not accepting some of your reasons and for taking video games too seriously?

Is every single call from your boss taking more than 10 minutes? How often does he call you?

I'm saying you have to suck it up because the game can't just give you a break for giving up on a bad situation. For the most part you should try to win regardless of situation. If you don't think it's fair then go play games that don't have quit bans. Did you play mcc though? It was a total joke because people quit every game. Hell it still is a joke because people dodge all the time in load up screens. So yeah I'm in favour of bans because otherwise the system is even worse in order to boot up and get enjoyment quickly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey y'all. I recently wanted to up my game, so I went ahead and bought the Elite controller. After getting used to the paddles over the last three weeks, I think it's amazing EXCEPT I can't aim properly anymore. I struggle to follow strafing players, either lagging behind or overshooting past them. I can't seem to find the head to finish kills. When players are really far away I find it difficult to make small adjustments to my aim. It just doesn't feel right.

Since I have Costco membership, I can return within 90 days, so I bought ANOTHER ONE to see if maybe I had a defective product. Nope, same results. I've even tried using the different sensitivity options in the accessories app, but it just leads to even more unpredictable aim.

Does anyone else here have an Elite, and have you had a similar experience? My friends (and I) think it might be a me problem, where something's wrong with me mentally or physically, but I've had other people use the controller and they've said it feels weird too. I very badly want it to work out with this controller, but right now I'm almost getting depressed with how poorly I'm playing in 1v1's.

Hey y'all. I recently wanted to up my game, so I went ahead and bought the Elite controller. After getting used to the paddles over the last three weeks, I think it's amazing EXCEPT I can't aim properly anymore. I struggle to follow strafing players, either lagging behind or overshooting past them. I can't seem to find the head to finish kills. When players are really far away I find it difficult to make small adjustments to my aim. It just doesn't feel right.

Since I have Costco membership, I can return within 90 days, so I bought ANOTHER ONE to see if maybe I had a defective product. Nope, same results. I've even tried using the different sensitivity options in the accessories app, but it just leads to even more unpredictable aim.

Does anyone else here have an Elite, and have you had a similar experience? My friends (and I) think it might be a me problem, where something's wrong with me mentally or physically, but I've had other people use the controller and they've said it feels weird too. I very badly want it to work out with this controller, but right now I'm almost getting depressed with how poorly I'm playing in 1v1's.

If you were fine with the original XB1 controller aiming but love the paddles then I recommend returning your Elite and trying this. Scuf controllers will feel a lot more normal for you if you go through and select original XB1 sticks as you customize yours. I've used/own both an Elite I got for free and a Scuf. The elite feels like a super quality controller but functionally the Scuf has been better for me. I often hear of elites going bad within a few months as well.

You obviously haven't read, Last Light, Broken Circle, Hunters in the Dark, New Blood, Saints Testimony.

Last Light - featured Fred from Blue Team which relates to Halo 5

Hunters in the Dark - featured Vale from Fireteam Osiris, offers her backstory before she becomes a Spartan

New Blood: featured Buck from Fireteam Osiris, offers his backstory before he becomes a Spartan

Saints Testimony: features an A.I. who is fighting for her life before her legal termination after her seven year life cycle, relates to Halo 5's AI take over and the whole Mantle stuff.

I never read Broken Circle because I really don't care about the Elites story, but it sounds like it is the only novel as of late that didn't tie into Halo 5. Maybe Shadow of Intent too? I can't remember its story very well.