CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

His other video, "The uncharted effect", is also a great summary of fanboy attitudes and reviews these days.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

His other video, "The uncharted effect", is also a great summary of fanboy attitudes and reviews these days.

Wow hes a super cunt.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"He has a different opinion than me"

Yes but hes doing it for the sole purpose to piss other people off. So hes a cunt *shrug*

I mean I don't care for his views on the game because I've never played a single Uncharted game (although I watched Galms letsplay of it and it seemed incredibly enjoyable from start to finish) but the only point of the video was to start shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

He is the HEAD of xbox. He's the one who calls all the shots. It's up to him as a leader to take ownership and say "Yeah, we fucked up really badly. We're going to do everything we can to fix it until the community is happy with our product." and not "Oh, we're sorry! Won't happen again!"

When a leader takes ownership then everyone under him will begin to take ownership and things will get better.

All we heard from 343 were excuses instead of them taking ownership. "Oh, we barely had anything to do with MCC." "MCC has a lot of stuff going on with it. That's why it was broken."

I don't think Phil Spencer has much, or at least very little to do with 343 and their games. There are probably a couple intermediaries executes between Phil and 343. 

Maybe your too far away from your Xbox or its your controller. I've had 3 controllers and I've never experienced your problem. Also BC IS working a lot better. Try playing BLOPS its 10x better than Reach was.

two things, 1; I love that the Internet collectively refers to the game as BLOPS, when you stop to think about it, it's fucking hilarious, and 2; yeah BLOPS runs just as well on the one as it did in the 360, I've actually been playing the zombies recently and have had no problems.

Yes but hes doing it for the sole purpose to piss other people off. So hes a cunt *shrug*

I mean I don't care for his views on the game because I've never played a single Uncharted game (although I watched Galms letsplay of it and it seemed incredibly enjoyable from start to finish) but the only point of the video was to start shit.

I suppose having a controversial opinion and putting in a video is "solely to piss people off"

Or perhaps...its just an opinion he wants to share. That too.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Head to Head playlist would be dope. Just needs some maps for it, because the only map I can remotely find tolerable for 1v1 warmups with friends is Truth, Powerups: Off. Every Arena map is designed strictly for 4v4 unfortunately and they suck for 1v1s. I'd be down to play 1v1s with what we have though.

I'm looking more for a legit 1v1 game. Quakelive duel has pretty much died..it's not a casual friendly mode at all...but the only games I enjoy that are 1v1 are:

- Hearthstone (I really have to be in the mood for this)

- Starcraft 2 (Love this game and the intensity of the 1v1)

- Street Fighter (SF4 isn't BC on Xbox One and SF5 isn't on Xbox One :()

- Sports games (I own NHL and Madden...problem is they're P2P and the connections are so bad it's not even worth playing online)

It's like...what happened to the 1v1 scene? I could totally see a legit Halo 1v1 duel game mode...but there's a lot of tweaking to the settings that would have to be done. By default...Halo is not a 1v1 game...except for HCE because of the item control on the maps...but Wizard was really the only map that was good for 1v1...maybe Priz and Derelict, the rest of the maps were simply too large.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To sum up this video, "Video game writers are too pretentious and forget that they're making a video game." Uncharted is fun when you're actually playing the damn game but like every iteration in the series, it suffers from an over-saturation of scripted events. Just like Gone Home, Fire Watch, and other "muh story" games, it's just cringe worthy writers that are appealing to a demographic that likely hasn't read a full book outside of school in the last 5 years so they can get compliments from someone.

Spec Ops: The Line is the best example. Spoiler alert, American marines find out America isn't all that great and we may be the villains. Holy shit, that premise hasn't been beaten to death since Vietnam. But in a medium where Americans are always the great guys who save the day (video games), it looked like it was breaking some barrier. If I play one more video game where everyone says the story makes it worth it, I'm going to drop kick a puppy. Uncharted is in that middle ground. I just want to play games, not be forced to watch an amateur writer's story who couldn't get his book published. I don't mind stories in video games as long as there is a sufficient amount of gameplay, but there are developers that feel that all they need in a video game is a story because you have their fanbase who don't even want to read the back of the game case complimenting them on their writing while telling everyone who is criticizing gameplay that they "just don't understand art."

#MakeVideoGamesGreatAgain

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think Phil Spencer has much, or at least very little to do with 343 and their games. There are probably a couple intermediaries executes between Phil and 343. 

That's not the point, but the discussion is over.

Remember the H3 1v1 playlist?

lol

"Let me get 5 sticks, 5 assassinations, and a killing frenzy on you for achievements and you can have the win."

*Proceeds to fall off the map after the 9th kill.*

• Upvote (+1) 1

two things, 1; I love that the Internet collectively refers to the game as BLOPS, when you stop to think about it, it's fucking hilarious, and 2; yeah BLOPS runs just as well on the one as it did in the 360, I've actually been playing the zombies recently and have had no problems.

Yes well spelling out Black Ops every time would suck ass. It's kinda the same as CoD or something. But yeah BLOPS runs like an absolute dream.

Also totally backing off of this "Games shouldn't have good storys" crap because it's stupid and I'm burnt out on arguing after the Phil debate.

To sum up this video, "Video game writers are too pretentious and forget that they're making a video game." Uncharted is fun when you're actually playing the damn game but like every iteration in the series, it suffers from an over-saturation of scripted events. Just like Gone Home, Fire Watch, and other "muh story" games, it's just cringe worthy writers that are appealing to a demographic that likely hasn't read a full book outside of school in the last 5 years so they can get compliments from someone.

Spec Ops: The Line is the best example. Spoiler alert, American marines find out America isn't all that great and we may be the villains. Holy shit, that premise hasn't been beaten to death since Vietnam. But in a medium where Americans are always the great guys who save the day (video games), it looked like it was breaking some barrier. If I play one more video game where everyone says the story makes it worth it, I'm going to drop kick a puppy. Uncharted is in that middle ground. I just want to play games, not be forced to watch an amateur writer's story who couldn't get his book published. I don't mind stories in video games as long as there is a sufficient amount of gameplay, but there are developers that feel that all they need in a video game is a story because you have their fanbase who don't even want to read the back of the game case complimenting them on their writing while telling everyone who is criticizing gameplay that they "just don't understand art."

You realise that this is your opinion right?

While right now i'm enjoying a game where the main character literally destroys anything that tries to convey story so he can get to the shooty bits(doom) I also enjoy games that offer more than raw gameplay.

It doesn't even have to be about writing or actual "storytelling". The order(a game most people hated) had levels where you would just walk around, listen to people, look at shit, read shit, etc. I enjoyed those bits of the game because it told a story in a way that only an interactive medium can. It just allowed me to be there. (H5 also had levels that tried to do this but they fell super flat)

Gaming is still very much in it's infancy in terms of storytelling. There's nothing wrong with games that try to test the boundaries of how to do it well. There's also nothing wrong with games that are just about mechanics. Neither approach is wrong or "pretentious". They're just different.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Is Penguin just trolling here?

Usually I love him. And his Uncharted Effect video was very good. He's allowed to have a different opinion... however he overreacts just like the fanboys about how "boring" it is and he says you shouldn't have to play other games in the series to get full enjoyment out of it.

Anyone who has played the other Uncharted games understands and likes the beginning. It's just Elena and him chilling out and having funny moments and we love these characters. Their interaction is natural and the acting is really good. He criticizes the scuba diving part which yeah it was boring but then he says "This game shouldn't be so boring it shouldn't make me experience how boring his life is now it's supposed to be fun." These types of gamers just bring the medium down. Developers are allowed to create different experiences. The whole point of narrative games is to make you feel what the character feels. That is the power of video games. You experiencing how dull Nate's life is now in realtime and in full control is what makes you understand and long for the old days where you were going all out in crazy action sequences... and it naturally segues back into you going on another adventure through this, and creates great tension with Elena who didn't want that to happen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is Penguin just trolling here?

Usually I love him. And his Uncharted Effect video was very good. He's allowed to have a different opinion... however he overreacts just like the fanboys about how "boring" it is and he says you shouldn't have to play other games in the series to get full enjoyment out of it.

Anyone who has played the other Uncharted games understands and likes the beginning. It's just Elena and him chilling out and having funny moments and we love these characters. Their interaction is natural and the acting is really good. He criticizes the scuba diving part which yeah it was boring but then he says "This game shouldn't be so boring it shouldn't make me experience how boring his life is now it's supposed to be fun." These types of gamers just bring the medium down. Developers are allowed to create different experiences. The whole point of narrative games is to make you feel what the character feels. That is the power of video games. You experiencing how dull Nate's life is now in realtime and in full control is what makes you understand and long for the old days where you were going all out in crazy action sequences... and it naturally segues back into you going on another adventure through this, and creates great tension with Elena who didn't want that to happen.

You're not allowed to criticize his videos apparently.

Not all game stories are cringe worthy. I feel like that's a really outdated opinion. And have you seen how bad a lot of TV shows and movies are? Games are still new and exploring their potential. Go watch movies from the 1900s and see how bad they are.

And I really disagree that Spec Ops isn't good. No shit it didn't do anything new compared to old Vietnam movies, but placing it in an interactive medium is what gave it it's strength especially in the current market at the time of shooters where you're expected to be a brave American shooting brown people without thought in the vast majority of them. Also, acting like themes shouldn't be rehashed and re-explored is the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever heard. The power of history is its example to show us how we are making the same mistakes.

PS Uncharted 4 has legitimately great acting and story and characters. The first 3 games are just ok in those departments but Druckmann and Staley know what they are doing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can play a game with little gameplay if the story and atmosphere can carry it through.  That's nothing new, it's pretty much the entire foundation of the JRPG / Adventure Game genre.  Like you don't go play Telltale's Walking Dead because of its intense combat mechanics, you play it because it's an immersive experience.

As with anything though there's a right and wrong way to do things.  "The game is trying to make you experience the dullness of his life for yourself."  That honestly sounds like an apologist argument to me.  Maybe the game is simply dull?  I doubt boring the player was actually the intention of the developers.

I can play a game with little gameplay if the story and atmosphere can carry it through.  That's nothing new, it's pretty much the entire foundation of the JRPG / Adventure Game genre.  Like you don't go play Telltale's Walking Dead because of its intense combat mechanics, you play it because it's an immersive experience.

As with anything though there's a right and wrong way to do things.  "The game is trying to make you experience the dullness of his life for yourself."  That honestly sounds like an apologist argument to me.  Maybe the game is simply dull?  I doubt boring the player was actually the intention of the developers.

It literally was. There's no other possible way that the 2nd chapter could be seen as anything but intentionally dull. It's literally 10 minutes long it's not even a big deal.

It literally was. There's no other possible way that the 2nd chapter could be seen as anything but intentionally dull. It's literally 10 minutes long it's not even a big deal.

To a point you are correct. From recent the recent interview that literally was their intent with the first chapter. I imagine the second and third were to set up the story, once the action kicks in, it kicks in hard, it just takes awhile to get there. It seems like they really wanted to focus on the story though.

"Fun" is such an interesting word. We took it off our focus tests. It was just a weird word that people were getting hung up on. How do you rate the dive sequence at the beginning of Uncharted 4? Is that fun? There's no real challenge. There is a perceived threat, where they talk about oxygen, but that's just weird narrative fluff. You can't really run out of oxygen.

But that level is important, to set up how mundane Nate's life is. Just rating it on its own, one through five, that was constantly the lowest-rated level. But it kind of had to be. We're not going to change that.

Here is the interview: (WARNING: SPOILERS)

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/uncharted-4-director-neil-druckmann-on-nathan-drake-sexism-in-games-20160524

• Upvote (+1) 1

To a point you are correct. From recent the recent interview that literally was their intent with the first chapter. I imagine the second and third were to set up the story, once the action kicks in, it kicks in hard, it just takes awhile to get there. It seems like they really wanted to focus on the story though.

Here is the interview: (WARNING: SPOILERS)

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/uncharted-4-director-neil-druckmann-on-nathan-drake-sexism-in-games-20160524

Thank you. I appreciate what Naughty Dog is doing. For gamers who care about games as an artistic medium, we have to be willing to go past the traditional boundaries. We have to be willing to make something more "boring" to make a point if necessary. Imagine if someone criticized the part in the movie Bronson where they cleverly show how mundane cell life is, when in fact it's one of the best shots and sequences in the movie. Gaming has to be willing to go there too.

Naughty Dog did this to great effect. It was plainly obvious in this case that they are fully capable of making a fun and exciting game. The car chase sequence from the same game is one of the most thrilling things in gaming history. They could have cut the dive sequence entirely and nobody would have criticized them. It wasn't necessary for the game. But it was necessary thematically and narratively. I think most developers are deathly afraid of doing this for the exact criticisms leveled by Penguin and most gamers who only care about having fun. If that's what you're looking for then just play a different game. No harm no foul. Both types can exist. But you look at something like LA Noire or Bioshock Infinite which have endless amounts of faceless bad guys that get gunned down in the name of fun when that narrative doesn't fit what the gameplay is about. Even Uncharted itself is guilty of this from time to time but I felt Uncharted 4 cut it down a lot and I appreciated it.

Good video on the topic:

This thread sounds like reddit on any given day with all the, "Halo is dead lulz," type of dumb comments. Why have constructive talk about the settings, strats, getting better, and content in the game when you can trash the game, right?

Gaddamit, accidental positive rep...

• Upvote (+1) 5

I dunno how they would get a working copy pre release but the release is broken. Makes no sense.

It's more likely they stuck to campaign which wasn't as prone to crashes.

Hate to drag this discussion back up but I was reading in bed and figured I'd offer a little insight. Beyond got media copies for MCC about nine days before launch if I recall correctly. When I first got my copy, I was told that it would only contain all four campaigns and both CE and H2C multiplayer. The rest of the game would be arriving a couple of days before launch with the "day one patch". 

During that time, I played through all four campaigns and I honestly couldn't remember many issues. At the time, nobody expected MCC to turn into the shit show it did, so I wasn't exactly expecting any new bugs. I only re-call one issue and that was the H2A terminals not working, but that's because the source videos hadn't been uploaded to the Halo Channel yet. 

Co-op seemed to behave similarly to other games when I tried H2A with @@CyReN, laggy here and there but playable but we didn't do a full campaign run.

Me and Ray also tried some CE and H2C MP. From the get go, I noticed CE needed some work, shots just weren't registering but H2C actually felt pretty good. I remember hitting four shots non-stop when playing some Lockout 1v1. 

When the day one patch dropped, I downloaded it and tried to jump into matchmaking. At the time there was two playlists if I recall correctly - Team Slayer and Team H2A. The rest of the playlists weren't added until the day before launch or so.

I tried searching in matchmaking for a good while before giving up, assuming that there weren't many reviewers online at the time. That's what a lot of reviewers blamed it on, not knowing once again would the game would actually turn into. As we all know, when it launched, matchmaking hardly worked and was riddled with a ton of bugs. 

If you ever read back on the MCC reviews and see no mention of these now-obvious issues, they're weren't trying to lie. It's just that nobody noticed these issues after only playing for a short time, and most of us passed off the MP issues to lack of players in a pre-release game window.

--

Can answer any other questions if needed, although probably in the MCC thread. Just tag me.

• Upvote (+1) 3