CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Does anyone here have Doom on consoles? If so, can anyone vouch that its graphics surpass those of H5?

I just watched some Digital Foundry footage of Doom on XONE/PS4, and in my opinion it looks noticeably better than H5. It uses the same dynamic resolution to target 60fps. The only reason the frame rate drops is in combat heavy situations, where there is a high abundance of particle effects from explosions and blood, which interestingly enough have collision physics also. During the executions it also incorporates a quality bokeh DOF, taxing the GPU some more.

H5 has none of this, and yet all the environments and lighting look worse. Perhaps the greatest offenders of graphics in H5 is the terrible texture filtering, shadows, and poor textures.

From this I can only come to the conclusion that H5 could have looked better.

I think Doom is the best looking console game I've ever seen

Also @@Hard Way your Fathom video has made me so much better on it

I used to avoid top mid because it was so exposed until I realized that I needed some trust in my teammates and that there were only two ways up to top mid. Also, playing conservatively has really upped my game as well. I always get really aggressive in this game and die for it A LOT

Bless

Really glad to hear it man.  Thanks for the kind words.

Eh, no. When a character's most defining trait in a trilogy are his one liners, mixed with a majority of silence, that is hardly something "fantastic". The Chief was a pretty stereotypical "silent badass" in the original trilogy, with the context behind his general silence and overall actual character being told within the pages of multiple novels, or other media outside of the games.

Chief is not silent in the books. He's barking orders at people all the time. Including people who aren't Blue Team, or Spartans at all.

Question for you guys.

In your opinion out of all of the Halos(Excluding Halo 4), which one has the lowest skill gap under tournament settings?

H2 had an extremely low gap between top 32-ish players and top 8-ish players. That might've been a testament to how tough the competition was back then, but it was low. 

H3 was bloodshot central, so...

Mother-of-God-GIF_1.gif?gs=a

Is that even possible?

long story Short, I like to write fiction, I like comic book characters, didn't think batman v superman was as good as it could've and should've been, now doing a near total rescripting of it, the only thing I've kept the same so far story wise is like the first 8 minutes.

To answer your question, whether or not it's possible depends entirely on my attention span, and I have adhd, so we'll see...

any ETA on when Warzone won't be broken? I'm getting farmed atm and there doesnt seem to be any way to avoid it other than just quit. Have 343 decided this is okay, or.....

Locke's story is interesting to me.

ONI agent who has done countless missions in the shadows, at one point he recommended assassinating the Arbiter. After his entire encounter on the fragment of Installation 04, ultimately resulting in the death of an ex-Spartan II, he thinks he can do much more and opts to join the Spartan IV program.

If I'm not mistaken, Chief is a big reason for this too because he was only ever on that fragment because of Chief's actions in Halo: Combat Evolved - hence the whole "you're not the only one here because of him".

He's then sent after the one guy who he looks up to, under the impression he's gone rogue to seek out an extremely dangerous AI that has killed hundreds, if not thousands activating the Guardians. In the end, Locke joins him and tries to get it into Chief's head that Cortana isn't friendly any more in the most peaceful way possible, following that god awful fight on Meridian.

Locke is a loyal soldier. To ONI when he was with them, and to the Spartan IV branch now that he's with them. However, he's not afraid to go off the rails a little to see that one of his inspirations is safe and sound. If he was straight up following his orders, he would have attacked the Chief and Blue Team during their second encounter on Genesis.

tl;dr - chief fanboy

Umm.. Did you just LORE at me?

Someone get this guy outta here.

On a different note, sure, the THINGS Locke's character did were interesting, but that's completely separate from his personality as we know it.

Does anyone here have Doom on consoles? If so, can anyone vouch that its graphics surpass those of H5?

I just watched some Digital Foundry footage of Doom on XONE/PS4, and in my opinion it looks noticeably better than H5. It uses the same dynamic resolution to target 60fps. The only reason the frame rate drops is in combat heavy situations, where there is a high abundance of particle effects from explosions and blood, which interestingly enough have collision physics also. During the executions it also incorporates a quality bokeh DOF, taxing the GPU some more.

H5 has none of this, and yet all the environments and lighting look worse. Perhaps the greatest offenders of graphics in H5 is the terrible texture filtering, shadows, and poor textures.

From this I can only come to the conclusion that H5 could have looked better.

Single player looks much better than h5. MP looks worse.

Does anybody know what the 2v2 warm up map that the pros play is called?

The map where you spawn with Snipers and Magnums and its a flag game type?

Chief is not silent in the books. He's barking orders at people all the time. Including people who aren't Blue Team, or Spartans at all.

I said "general", not entirely. He isn't just a random loud speaker.

Does anybody know what the 2v2 warm up map that the pros play is called?

The map where you spawn with Snipers and Magnums and its a flag game type?

CTF Warmup

LOL.

"Whats the Warmup CTF gametype called?"

"...CTF Warmup"

giphy.gif

I seriously do think that's the name, aha.

If you've seen any pros play it, check their file browser, specifically their bookmarked maps & gametypes. Should be there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seems like the biggest issue with Halo "lore" is just that its poor in one way or another. It was never really that great but it holds a special place for some because that's what they grew up with. Complaining about it being bad now or not deep enough character wise are valid complaints but they're also 100% expected mistakes since the quality has never and probably will never be there. They will likely always fall short in some regard because its just a mediocre science fiction universe that hasn't ever really had good writing behind it. Maybe decent for video games though. I guess all I'm saying is that while we can enjoy it for what it is we probably shouldn't expect anything phenomenal. Save that expectation for good authors that aren't bound by the constraints of forcing stuff in a specific time frame into a video game. 

Guys, i did some numbers with the stat that circled around last month. "200000 players completed their placements".

Now lets assume that in average every player played 100 games (I know is way above what people play), lets assume 8 minutes games duration (0.13333 h).

Result: 200000x0.13333/720x100= 3704 players on average

Another scenario, lets assume that 20% of all the players play at the same hour, since we are having 100 games a season that is like 3.3333 games/day.

Result: 200000x0.2= 40000 concurrent players for 3.333*8= 27 minutes

This game wont last 3 years hahaha, we are at H4 numbers or lower atm.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Umm.. Did you just LORE at me?

Someone get this guy outta here.

On a different note, sure, the THINGS Locke's character did were interesting, but that's completely separate from his personality as we know it.

Serious question, but who did you enjoy more in H5 campaign then? (blue team or osiris). Because I really didn't care much for blue team at all, and Chief only had a few great moments, mainly the dialogue he has with cortana, especially that bit when he was riding the platform up and he's pointing out all the things cortana is doing "physcholgical tactics, using my name" etc... His voice acting was so good too, you could really hear the struggle of Chief dealing with cortana being a villain.

The issue with Locke wasn't his character writing as much, as the story of Halo 5 REVOLVING around our favourite hero Chief, the whole story is about Chief. It's all about how Locke can go and find Chief. I'd the say the game would have been better if half of it was just about Osiris, and the other half just about Chief. Instead of this light back and forth between the two.

There's nothing THAT likable about Locke, outside of he's got some cool lines, is a good leader, a good guy and a good friend. For me I love the way he continuously respects Chief and the people around him, even when under the assumption that Chief has gone rogue he still calls him "sir". But Chief is still the hero here, still the sun that the whole story revolves around, and his line when talking to Locke is the same bad ass Chief we all know and love. "Cortona's our concern now, sir" pause "like hell she is". Also my favourite bit from that scene was when they're running out and Buck doesn't make it through the portal and is hanging on, everyones gone and you just see Locke pop back through "I SAID RUN!" and pulls him through.

These small moments of dialogue and cut scenes are the only things which I liked about the campaign. If it wasn't for these, the story wouldn't have had any salvageable moments. The voice acting was so good, the script on the other hand was super weak.

The writing really has problems, they need to sort that out ASAP. Get Reed under some supervision, make sure he is writing interesting things and not just making some interesting points and dropping it straight away. Also more cut-scenes, enough of this level starts with you just dropping in. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Also I'd just like to say, the most interesting bit which I really want to see is, why did Cortana struggle to find infinity. Thats what I'm most interested about for Halo 6, apart from knowing we'll return to a ring.

I'd argue that it's a combination of both, but mainly because of his personality. Limiting to solely nostalgia and marketing is insulting to his original character. Myself and everyone I know loved the chief for his badass personality, not because he's "the main character in Halo."

With that logic, Locke should be the most loved character in Halo 5 SINCE HE'S THE MAIN CHARACTER.

But he's not since his personality is boring compared to the Chief's.

You completely misinterpreted what I said.

He's an icon because of marketing and the success of Halo, not because he's an interesting character. He is not considered iconic because of some imaginary "unique personality". Hell, Pacman is iconic but you wouldn't call him an interesting character.

We love the Chief because we love Halo, not the other way around. His purpose is to be a player vessel and occasionally say badass lines, that's not enough to create a personality. The reason we love him is because we've built up 15 years of nostalgia around him and Halo as a whole, we've been through a hell of a lot with the Chief. I love the Chief, I think he's badass too. However, I recognise that he's an uninteresting character lacking in personality.

I could look at a number of games I don't particularly like or I'm not interested in and still point out great characters. Take Joel from the Last of Us, I'm not that into the gameplay so I don't rate the game that high. However, I can still tell you why Joel is a fantastic character. Take anyone who's never played Halo before or isn't that interested in it and let them play through the first three games, I guarantee they will tell you that the Chief is "generic space marine #1". That's because there is nothing to relate to about the Chief, there's very little about him which you can make an emotional connection with.

The Chief fits his purpose as a badass player vessel very well, however he's no more interesting than every other green space marine out there.

(Note: The above is entirely based on the Chief's portrayal in the first three games. Taking into account external media and H4 and the Chief does start to become a fairly interesting character.)

Edit: To link this into the Locke discussion, the criticisms levelled at Locke (which I think for the most part are perfectly reasonable) can equally be levelled at the Chief's portrayal in CE through H3. They actually are, a lot of criticism against the story of Halo revolves around how the Chief is a boring character. However, diehard Halo fans love the Chief anyway because of that connection we've built up through the love of the games, rather than interest in the actual character. Had Locke been the original main of character of Halo it'd be no different.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also I'd just like to say, the most interesting bit which I really want to see is, why did Cortana struggle to find infinity. Thats what I'm most interested about for Halo 6, apart from knowing we'll return to a ring.

Huh. Never really thought about this. She had communicative access with all of the colonies/worlds that housed Guardians but couldn't find the Infinity. Plus as we know, she only needs one Guardian to "warden" the galaxy, so the whole process was overkill to begin with.

Good point. Never realized this plot hole.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I could look at a number of games I don't particularly like or I'm not interested in and still point out great characters. Take Joel from the Last of Us, I'm not that into the gameplay so I don't rate the game that high. However, I can still tell you why Joel is a fantastic character. Take anyone who's never played Halo before or isn't that interested in it and let them play through the first three games, I guarantee they will tell you that the Chief is "generic space marine #1". That's because there is nothing to relate to about the Chief, there's very little about him which you can make an emotional connection with.

Oh shit, I don't remember Reach campaign that well, was Arbiter actually in it leading the covenant in the attack? I had no idea, guess TIL.

Guys, i did some numbers with the stat that circled around last month. "200000 players completed their placements".

Now lets assume that in average every player played 100 games (I know is way above what people play), lets assume 8 minutes games duration (0.13333 h).

Result: 200000x0.13333/720x100= 3704 players on average

Another scenario, lets assume that 20% of all the players play at the same hour, since we are having 100 games a season that is like 3.3333 games/day.

Result: 200000x0.2= 40000 concurrent players for 3.333*8= 27 minutes

This game wont last 3 years hahaha, we are at H4 numbers or lower atm.

Nope everything is fine.

*sticks fingers in ears*

Lalala h5 is great

• Upvote (+1) 6