CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

happens to me. then when i quit because of it, i get banned. it's bullshit

I like Stasis slayer, but the spawns are wonky as shit.

And blank shots have to be the most annoying thing ever

Yeah I've just been sucking it up and playing through it since the one time I went idle to run to the restroom I got a ban. Don't understand how these people seem to get away with it so much.

With that logic, Locke should be the most loved character in Halo 5 SINCE HE'S THE MAIN CHARACTER.

But he's not since his personality is boring compared to the Chief's.

Well what is your reasoning? You can't just objectively say that Locke is a worse written character than Chief without actual evidence, and as MB said, a lot of this argument can be chalked up to nostalgic love for Chief, and/or Halo 5-distaste towards Locke.

I think Locke was a very well done character (especially since the VO takeover by Ike Amadi, thank god for that), he just didn't have the compelling story to back his actions and make them interesting.

So it's been out for a few days now, stasis thoughts?

I actually think it's one of the best halo 5 maps despite bad first impressions.

I think the recon DMR should replace all DMRs on other maps, I also would like to see double sniper tested on ctf with less ammo.

Not sure how I feel about shotty though. And I think there should only be one BPR to counter OS.

Locke just suffers from being in a game that felt rushed, non sensical, silly and all together poorly written.

If h5 was the only halo game ever made, MC would be a terrible character too.

He's considered iconic because his unique personality is that of a silent, one-lining bad-ass and everything surrounding him in the Bungie era games complimented it perfectly.

What even IS Locke's personality? Soldier? What personality trait separates him from any of the countless UNSC soldiers?

EDIT: Hell, FUCKING GYSGT Stacker is a more unique and interesting character than Locke.

Locke's story is interesting to me.

ONI agent who has done countless missions in the shadows, at one point he recommended assassinating the Arbiter. After his entire encounter on the fragment of Installation 04, ultimately resulting in the death of an ex-Spartan II, he thinks he can do much more and opts to join the Spartan IV program.

If I'm not mistaken, Chief is a big reason for this too because he was only ever on that fragment because of Chief's actions in Halo: Combat Evolved - hence the whole "you're not the only one here because of him". 

He's then sent after the one guy who he looks up to, under the impression he's gone rogue to seek out an extremely dangerous AI that has killed hundreds, if not thousands activating the Guardians. In the end, Locke joins him and tries to get it into Chief's head that Cortana isn't friendly any more in the most peaceful way possible, following that god awful fight on Meridian.

Locke is a loyal soldier. To ONI when he was with them, and to the Spartan IV branch now that he's with them. However, he's not afraid to go off the rails a little to see that one of his inspirations is safe and sound. If he was straight up following his orders, he would have attacked the Chief and Blue Team during their second encounter on Genesis. 

tl;dr - chief fanboy

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yet he was STILL considered one of the most iconic, loved main characters in gaming.

It may not be fantastic narratively, but it was fantastic for the games themselves and complemented the tone perfectly. It's far more fantastic than any 343era character.

Halo 4 Chief >>>>>>> OG Halo Trilogy Chief

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 7

In Nightfall Locke has barely any character, in h5 he still has barely any character.

Halo 4 Chief >>>>>>> OG Halo Trilogy Chief

og chief was basically a vessel for the player to latch onto and insert themselves, that's why he barely talked in 1, and spoke in one liners during 2, it wasn't until 3 that his character started to evolve, then it evolved again in 4 but almost completely regressed in 5.

og chief was basically a vessel for the player to latch onto and insert themselves, that's why he barely talked in 1, and spoke in one liners during 2, it wasn't until 3 that his character started to evolve, then it evolved again in 4 but almost completely regressed in 5.

Oh, I know. However, Halo 5 didn't "exactly" regress, we just weren't given enough Chief to get back to Halo 4's built up character.

Oh, I know. However, Halo 5 didn't "exactly" regress, we just weren't given enough Chief to get back to Halo 4's built up character.

yeah and it painted him as a much thinner character because he was cut out.

Chief is a legendary character for the same reason Samus is a legendary character. 

Doing a hell of a lot with very, very little...and just making sure to do it in a game everyone likes. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

ONI agent who has done countless missions in the shadows, at one point he recommended assassinating the Arbiter. After his entire encounter on the fragment of Installation 04, ultimately resulting in the death of an ex-Spartan II, he thinks he can do much more and opts to join the Spartan IV program.

If I'm not mistaken, Chief is a big reason for this too because he was only ever on that fragment because of Chief's actions in Halo: Combat Evolved - hence the whole "you're not the only one here because of him". 

He's then sent after the one guy who he looks up to, under the impression he's gone rogue to seek out an extremely dangerous AI that has killed hundreds, if not thousands activating the Guardians. In the end, Locke joins him and tries to get it into Chief's head that Cortana isn't friendly any more in the most peaceful way possible, following that god awful fight on Meridian.

Locke is a loyal soldier. To ONI when he was with them, and to the Spartan IV branch now that he's with them. However, he's not afraid to go off the rails a little to see that one of his inspirations is safe and sound. If he was straight up following his orders, he would have attacked the Chief and Blue Team during their second encounter on Genesis. 

tl;dr - chief fanboy

The premise could be interesting if not for the fact that Locke is a mostly monotone, expressionless drone who you could swap out for Generic Space Marine #1929502 and not lose anything.

Which I mean, hey, so was Chief...but he was built on that premise. Locke wasn't. There's a reason we never see Chief's face, all of his emotive moments are done with artistic subtlety. Locke might as well not even have a face, because it never moves. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Does anyone here have Doom on consoles? If so, can anyone vouch that its graphics surpass those of H5?

I just watched some Digital Foundry footage of Doom on XONE/PS4, and in my opinion it looks noticeably better than H5. It uses the same dynamic resolution to target 60fps. The only reason the frame rate drops is in combat heavy situations, where there is a high abundance of particle effects from explosions and blood, which interestingly enough have collision physics also. During the executions it also incorporates a quality bokeh DOF, taxing the GPU some more.

H5 has none of this, and yet all the environments and lighting look worse. Perhaps the greatest offenders of graphics in H5 is the terrible texture filtering, shadows, and poor textures.

From this I can only come to the conclusion that H5 could have looked better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The premise could be interesting if not for the fact that Locke is a mostly monotone, expressionless drone who you could swap out for Generic Space Marine #1929502 and not lose anything.

Which I mean, hey, so was Chief...but he was built on that premise. Locke wasn't. There's a reason we never see Chief's face, all of his emotive moments are done with artistic subtlety. Locke might as well not even have a face, because it never moves.

chief was a generic space marine who grew up, Locke hasn't had that luxury yet.

If Locke is revealed as a walking experiment embroiled in the most pressing philosophical problems of man and machine with a deep, scarring psychological connection to a companion made of nothing but bits and bytes that slowly went insane in front of his eyes and is now threatening the entire universe, then I'll eat crow.

As it stands right now, Locke is about as interesting as Lasky.

And again, Chief's design and handling lends toward mystery. Locke is just a brooding guy who isn't even likable, and has no business acting so tortured.

it doesn't come off as brooding to me, more like unwarranted indifference, like it literally seems like he's bored imo.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

it doesn't come off as brooding to me, more like unwarranted indifference, it literally seems like he's bored imo.

Might be a better way of describing it, for sure. 

Hey guys remember that line that Locke said in campaign, it went like this! oh, hold he didn't say anything memorable.

Oh wait, he told Chief to stand down in an angry monotone. That was about it, and that only gets attention because of how bloody stupid it was.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

tl;dr - chief fanboy

I can deffinitly see how this might seem appealing to some people but if you ask me, Locke is nothing but a bland poster boy, a mister perfect for any military service someone who would give his own life for the UNSC without hesitation simply because it's the honorably to do, or with other words; he is every CoD Charakter out there.

Locke is exchangeable with most other videogame character, he has no real personal traits beside beeing this true hero, the chief does not have a deep personality either but he is desinged this way, he is this blunt, emotionless killing machine. You will not get an Osacar for this character but at least he is not trying to be more then he actually is...

H5's style of storytelling is the reason people don't take video game stories seriously. Non sensical character motivations and actions, plot holes the size of halo rings, lazy writing, and a complete lack of character arcs. Introducing new leads characters is a risky thing, thats very difficult to pull off in the middle of a trilogy, let alone in the 7th entry in a series. Bungie managed to pull this off in Halo 2 with the arbiter, because they took the time to build his motivations and actually gave him an arc. The arbiter is the most developed character in the Halo series for this reason.

Fire team Osiris however, is the laziest and most poorly handled bunch of characters I've ever seen in a game. I cannot for the life of me name a single defining character trait of anyone in that team (other than bungie's Buck). Blue team is also a literarily disaster, save for the chief which showed some sparks of potential. The writing was so bad that the only reason I can come up with Osiris existence is to sell more action figures..I can't believe that this was someones honest attempt at crafting interesting characters. Whats worse is that someone at 343, looked at the script and said let's run with this... Game development cost are now rivaling blockbuster movies. If you attempt to craft a complex story at the very least, put some effort into it. 

There were so many simple ways to make H5 emotionally engaging. 

-Instead of spending all that time and resources creating the most boring, forgettable character that ever grace my xbox (Locke) how about you use some other established character in the series? For example Buck hunting the Chief would be an interesting story and would have dedicated fans glued to their controllers.

-Instead of having this huge non-sensical plot with dozens of characters and armies. Why not have a more personal character driven story with the MC? Not only could 343 use this opportunity to finally, show in-game the detailed backstory of the spartan program. They could have a mature pdst, lose of companion storyline with the spartan backstory in the background. 

-Or, since 343 retcon the forerunners, they can go into more detail about them. Land MC on a forerunner planet, so we can truly understand them once and for all. Something that should happen since they're now a major player in the current story. 

-Literally anything else than what H5 is...

The thing that gets me is that Halo has a lot of potential for actual good in game storylines. Squandered potential is the theme of the Halo series I guess..

stop, you're making me want to do a re write of the games story, I'm already preoccupied with rewriting batman v superman, I don't need more things to try to fix...
  • Upvote (+1) 1

stop, you're making me want to do a re write of the games story, I'm already preoccupied with rewriting batman v superman, I don't need more things to try to fix...

Mother-of-God-GIF_1.gif?gs=a

Is that even possible?