CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I legitimately forget, was Franky the one who said there would be some sort of follow up or explanation as to what happened to MCC? If so, is it bad that I have a hard time believing what he says?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'll take both, I guess. I'd much rather have Tyrant and Stasis than getting a one-off Arena map that might be terrible like Torque or Overgrowth.

Tyrant and Stasis are the sole 2 of 6 remixes released so far that can be considered decent. Does that seem like a good ratio to you?

Is anyone else struggling with teammates constantly lagging out or quitting in the team arena playlist? I can't even count the amount of games I've played 2 or 3v4 the last two days. Many of them were games we won so it's not like they were quitting out because we were getting our asses handed to us. 

Is this more of an epidemic among the silver/gold tier skill level where I unfortunately reside? Starting to get really aggravating having this happen game after game.

I legitimately forget, was Franky the one who said there would be some sort of follow up or explanation as to what happened to MCC? If so, is it bad that I have a hard time believing what he says?

He did say once it was all fixed :P

Tyrant and Stasis are the sole 2 of 6 remixes released so far that can be considered decent. Does that seem like a good ratio to you?

It doesn't matter if it's a good ratio or not. I'd much rather take six remixes, two of which can be considered good, than one or two new and original Arena maps which might be terrible.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I legitimately forget, was Franky the one who said there would be some sort of follow up or explanation as to what happened to MCC?

My guess is we'll never get an answer, but if he finally does give one, it will be in some interview long after he's left 343 or retired.

It doesn't matter if it's a good ratio or not. I'd much rather take six remixes, two of which can be considered good, than one or two new and original Arena maps which might be terrible.

Agree to disagree, I guess it's sorta pointless to discuss anyways, because in the end nothing will change.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tyrant is not a remix

Coliseum remix

Tagging @@heytred to confirm since he actually worked on it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I probably spend about four hours of every work day ranting on r/halo.  

It's a tough life, but some things just need to be said.  

Oh god. I don't think I could bear that.

Generally I come here when Im wasting time at work.

Coliseum remix

Tagging @@heytred to confirm since he actually worked on it.

Its a remix. I know this because there was a screenshot of the map loading when it glitched and its file named showed up. It was Literally Colliseum Remix.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Its a remix. I know this because there was a screenshot of the map loading when it glitched and its file named showed up. It was Literally Colliseum Remix.

Well, that too.

The devs KNEW that trying to make an emotional character out of someone who literally saves the galaxy from space zombies and a religious cult of various alien species, one of which is known for their cuteness/humor more than anything else, wouldn't work well.

Apparently half of the staff at 343 were opposed to the incredibly awkward/hilarious "Cortana falls in love with MC" thing, in Halo 4, but it was pushed through by the executive team.  I read an article about this in 2014 or so, not sure where ...

Eh, no. When a character's most defining trait in a trilogy are his one liners, mixed with a majority of silence, that is hardly something "fantastic". The Chief was a pretty stereotypical "silent badass" in the original trilogy, with the context behind his general silence and overall actual character being told within the pages of multiple novels, or other media outside of the games.

Yet he was STILL considered one of the most iconic, loved main characters in gaming.

It may not be fantastic narratively, but it was fantastic for the games themselves and complemented the tone perfectly. It's far more fantastic than any 343era character.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If they want to redeem themselves on this Cortana stuff, they need to come out and say that this is one of her rampant personalities.

please.

It's pretty obvious to me Cortana has a good amount of didact in her, especially the way she talks. Probably what Frankie meant. H1-H5 Cortana is dead, weird didact/mass mudering Cortana is in the flesh. Something happened to her in the domain.

#loremaster

Yet he was STILL considered one of the most iconic, loved main characters in gaming.

It may not be fantastic narratively, but it was fantastic for the games themselves and complemented the tone perfectly. It's far more fantastic than any 343era character.

He's not considered iconic because of his interesting personality though, which is the criticism a lot are giving Locke. All I'm hearing so far in terms of critique is "oh there cannot be two people who are similar" which is BS because noble 6 worked out damn fine.

Chief definitely is an interesting character if you take into account the books, and any post 343 narrative. Although he is at his weakest imo in H5, with only his best interesting bits being his conversations with Cortana and blue team opening. One of my favourite 343 characters thus far has to be Lasky though, better than keyes imo.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

He's not considered iconic because of his interesting personality though, which is the criticism a lot are giving Locke. All I'm hearing so far in terms of critique is "oh there cannot be two people who are similar" which is BS because noble 6 worked out damn fine.

Chief definitely is an interesting character if you take into account the books, and any post 343 narrative. Although he is at his weakest imo in H5, with only his best interesting bits being his conversations with Cortana and blue team opening. One of my favourite 343 characters thus far has to be Lasky though, better than keyes imo.

He's considered iconic because his unique personality is that of a silent, one-lining bad-ass and everything surrounding him in the Bungie era games complimented it perfectly.

What even IS Locke's personality? Soldier? What personality trait separates him from any of the countless UNSC soldiers?

EDIT: Hell, FUCKING GYSGT Stacker is a more unique and interesting character than Locke.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Master Chief is not iconic because of his personality. He's iconic because he's the main playable character in Halo. A series which kick started the Xbox and as such was marketed to hell and back by Microsoft. MS made sure his face (well, his helmet) was everywhere and basically made him the symbol of Xbox.

If Halo were a less popular series then MC would be about as iconic and interesting as the countless other green space marines that populate sci-fi media. 

We love the Chief because he can bit of a badass and he fuels some massive nostalgia, other than that he is largely forgettable.

(By the way, I love the Chief just as much as everyone else around here. I'm just not trying to convince myself that it's because he has a personality. I'm also not going to try and argue that Locke is a far more interesting character because honestly I don't see much of a difference between the two.)

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The Master Chief is not iconic because of his personality. He's iconic because he's the main playable character in Halo. A series which kick started the Xbox and as such was marketed to hell and back by Microsoft. MS made sure his face (well, his helmet) was everywhere and basically made him the symbol of Xbox.

If Halo were a less popular series then MC would be about as iconic and interesting as the countless other green space marines that populate sci-fi media. 

We love the Chief because he can bit of a badass and he fuels some massive nostalgia, other than that he is largely forgettable.

(By the way, I love the Chief just as much as everyone else around here. I'm just not trying to convince myself that it's because he has a personality. I'm also not going to try and argue that Locke is a far more interesting character because honestly I don't see much of a difference between the two.)

I'd argue that it's a combination of both, but mainly because of his personality. Limiting to solely nostalgia and marketing is insulting to his original character. Myself and everyone I know loved the chief for his badass personality, not because he's "the main character in Halo."

With that logic, Locke should be the most loved character in Halo 5 SINCE HE'S THE MAIN CHARACTER.

But he's not since his personality is boring compared to the Chief's.

• Upvote (+1) 1

altar TS is terrible with one sniper.

They need to make it so that the banshee can't figure 8 over and over quickly. It fucking sucks

Halo 2 was filled with badass 1 liners. Halo 3 less so. After that the writing was so bad I don't want to think about it

as much as I like h3s story, "to war" was fucking stupid.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Is anyone else struggling with teammates constantly lagging out or quitting in the team arena playlist? I can't even count the amount of games I've played 2 or 3v4 the last two days. Many of them were games we won so it's not like they were quitting out because we were getting our asses handed to us. 

Is this more of an epidemic among the silver/gold tier skill level where I unfortunately reside? Starting to get really aggravating having this happen game after game.

happens to me. then when i quit because of it, i get banned. it's bullshit

I like Stasis slayer, but the spawns are wonky as shit.

And blank shots have to be the most annoying thing ever