CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

My point is that 343's more recent project is their better one. At no point in Bungie's history can you say that. So given that data, one can hope that eventually 343 will put out a good game, whereas I assume Bungie will continue to put out worse and worse trash. Granted, their trash will function correctly, but it will be designed, on purpose, to have shit gameplay.

My point is that 343's more recent project is their better one. At no point in Bungie's history can you say that. So given that data, one can hope that eventually 343 will put out a good game, whereas I assume Bungie will continue to put out worse and worse trash. Granted, their trash will function correctly, but it will be designed, on purpose, to have shit gameplay.

To be fair, each bungie release was being compared to a predecessor that a lot of people considered a classic.  343 just had to do something better than halo 4 that functioned better than mcc.  

Also, correct me if I'm wrong because I don't play destiny, but even bungie knows not to put radar in their "competitive" playlist.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I see your point. 343 is definite trending upwards. H5 is a massive upgrade over h4. If h6 has the same kind of jump it will be amazing.

I doubt it though. The jump between h4 and H5 had more to do with h4 just being sooooo bad than h5 being good.

you're not wrong, bungie is just a shadow of its former self now, 343s best product is halo 5. My only contention is that they managed the halo series better than 343 has been doing this far.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I see your point. 343 is definite trending upwards. H5 is a massive upgrade over h4. If h6 has the same kind of jump it will be amazing.

I doubt it though. The jump between h4 and H5 had more to do with h4 just being sooooo bad than h5 being good.

The only reason H5 feels good is because we are settling and accepting the fact that nothing is going to change. We have sprint and radar in competitive and there is no outcry even in TeamBeyond people are shills and pro - sprint/radar
  • Upvote (+1) 2

To be fair, each bungie release was being compared to a predecessor that a lot of people considered a classic. 343 just had to do something better than halo 4 that functioned better than mcc.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong because I don't play destiny, but even bungie knows not to put radar in their "competitive" playlist.

No one is arguing that 343's starting point wasn't horrible and inexcusable. I agree with you. But 343 is getting better, and Bungie is getting worse. That's why I'd rather have 343 making Halo than Bungie at this point.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

To be fair, each bungie release was being compared to a predecessor that a lot of people considered a classic.  343 just had to do something better than halo 4 that functioned better than mcc.  

Their Inferno playlists are the only ones that don't feature radar and even then, they're rotational similar to Super Fiesta, FFA SWAT, etc.

Destiny doesn't really offer a competitive playlist that's permanent. You could probably say Trials of Osiris but even that goes away after the weekly reset and only returns on Friday to Monday.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Their Inferno playlists are the only ones that don't feature radar and even then, they're rotational similar to Super Fiesta, FFA SWAT, etc.

Destiny doesn't really offer a competitive playlist that's permanent. You could probably say Trials of Osiris but even that goes away after the weekly reset and only returns on Friday to Monday.

Ah, my mistake.  I think I watched a trials of osiris stream once so that's probably what I was thinking about.  

No one is arguing that 343's starting point wasn't horrible and inexcusable. I agree with you. But 343 is getting better, and Bungie is getting worse. That's why I'd rather have 343 making Halo than Bungie at this point.

I wouldn't for a few reasons:

Campaign wouldn't be shit

Split screen

Content at launch

Better community features

Better maps

Game will work as advertised

Let the esports crowd forge their own maps and settings instead of making us live with RADAR

Only problem is we might have a bloom utility.

Your only argument that 343 is better is that they keep improving... Except they've had a step backwards with every release until halo 5 and that's only because both h4 and mcc hit rock bottom and it would have been really hard to be possibly worse.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The argument is moot anyway. Both companies suck now and we are stuck with 343 until MS realizes how shit halo is and hands the franchise to people who care about making a game that appeals to both casual and competitive players like halo 1 and 2 did. And letting us have actual input.

• Upvote (+1) 3

- cut down - 

343i

v7 Reach - Good start! I'll give them credit.

H:CEA - Garbage all around, the remaster is an abomination to the original art style, no classic multiplayer like everyone wanted, came up with bogus excuses for why it wasn't there.

Halo 4 - Let's copy COD! The worst Halo all around to date and it isn't even a competition. Also let's not patch game breaking glitches like the level with the Mammoth.

MCC - Pretty much the worst launch of any major product on Xbox ever. I don't need to deep dive on this, we know how awful it is. Oh yeah, STILL not fixed, 343 really cares guys! They're getting "better"!

Halo 5 - Continues a lot of the same garbage as Halo 4. Story is ass. No split screen. No forge on launch. Microtransactions. No ODDBALL on launch (wtf) or other popular gametypes. At least backtracks on a few of the awful decisions present in Halo 4 and people want to act like "things are looking up!" because of that, ignoring the rest. Completely dictates the esports side of the game with really bad ideas to appeal to casuals who don't even give a shit about esports. Is it better competitively than Halo 4 and Destiny, yes. Is it still inadequate, yes. Did they still completely fuck up the launch which torpedoed the population? Yup.

Just curious as I never played Halo CE when it first game out, and my first experience with any Halo game before 360 Halo games was Halo CE:A. Is this a commonly held opinion? I've played through CE two times now, once on medium with CE:A and once on legendary with MCC, I would always switch between the graphics to see what it was like before and after and I really feel the Anniversary edition stuck to the roots and translated a lot of the art style beautifully. 

My one issue was with the dark forest fungus map when you meet the flood for the first time (I forget the name), I felt the anniversary didn't catch the spooky vibes as much.

Also do you feel the same with Halo 2 anniversary?

Ugh I really hate the current FFA. Is Vetoed still working on making it better hopefully?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ugh I really hate the current FFA. Is Vetoed still working on making it better hopefully?

Said he submitted them like a week or 2 ago, although the doubles maps were submitted in like March and nothing yet so who knows.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just curious as I never played Halo CE when it first game out, and my first experience with any Halo game before 360 Halo games was Halo CE:A. Is this a commonly held opinion? I've played through CE two times now, once on medium with CE:A and once on legendary with MCC, I would always switch between the graphics to see what it was like before and after and I really feel the Anniversary edition stuck to the roots and translated a lot of the art style beautifully.

My one issue was with the dark forest fungus map when you meet the flood for the first time (I forget the name), I felt the anniversary didn't catch the spooky vibes as much.

Also do you feel the same with Halo 2 anniversary?

I know many people have voiced the same opinion as me. I thought it was mediocre and not faithful. The character models are all fat. The new art style is not functional because it's impossible to see elite's shield bursts, plasma grenades are hard to see and some of the new art shows blank space where there is geometry that will block bullets invisibly. The worst is the lighting. Like you said the swamp level is not creepy anymore. Most levels have bad lighting imo.

H2A campaign in contrast I thought was an amazing remaster actually. The lighting is very good and I like the improved graphics.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not sure how I fill about the infinite ammo for last man standing. Other than that, it looks solid. Nice to see they took a lot into account when making the mode

There's no such thing.

Oh yes there is. E.T. Halo 4 may have been a terrible Halo but it wasn't a terrible game. If you took the Halo off the title and named it "Average Space Shooter 4" then nobody would bitch. Like for example. Nuts & Bots wasn't a bad game it was just a bad Banjo game. Or Star Fox Adventures. None are bad games it's just that they are the worst in their respective franchises.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The only reason H5 feels good is because we are settling and accepting the fact that nothing is going to change. We have sprint and radar in competitive and there is no outcry even in TeamBeyond people are shills and pro - sprint/radar

I don't know if they're shills so much as they're just the people that are left. It stands to reason that most people who are very against those things just are not around to be heard anymore.

343 is in full blown delusion/cover up mode about population figures though so waiting for them to realise that they've scared off the vast majority of potential players is pretty much a lost cause. They seem content to bask in the tiny echo chamber they've built for themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Oh yes there is. E.T. Halo 4 may have been a terrible Halo but it wasn't a terrible game. If you took the Halo off the title and named it "Average Space Shooter 4" then nobody would bitch. Like for example. Nuts & Bots wasn't a bad game it was just a bad Banjo game. Or Star Fox Adventures. None are bad games it's just that they are the worst in their respective franchises.

Also I thought the story of the campaign was the best of any Halo, but with the worst level design (the opposite of Halo 5 in my opinion). That plus being the best looking game on the 360 imo, and the high production values meant I felt like I got my moneys worth.

ET was not built with 100s of millions of dollars and modern AAA developer tools and talent. H4 is literally as bad a game that could possibly be made with the assets 343 has at their disposal.

And no, it is a bad game. It's a soulless husk devoid of creativity or original thought. This is true whether you look at it in the context of a Halo game or not.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No it was a bad game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

ET was not built with 100s of millions of dollars and modern AAA developer tools and talent. H4 is literally as bad a game that could possibly be made with the assets 343 has at their disposal.

And no, it is a bad game. It's a soulless husk devoid of creativity or original thought. This is true whether you look at it in the context of a Halo game or not.

It had an amazing story (best in series) it actually had a good amount of content to play, the game actually worked which is hard to come by lately. The graphics were top notch for the 360. The gameplay was actually fun if you were drunk or forgot it was a Halo game.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1