CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Base aiming: a term used to describe whatever the fuck is going on under the hood that affects the aiming.

The coding of an aiming system has an ass-load of parts to it, just reading that Xim4 thread will show you that. It's a complex beast, and 343 have given us the choice to customize 3 of those parts: X/Y sensitivity, deadzones, and acceleration. It's fair to say that "base aiming", like the term "base model" or "base system".

7IjKAKs.png?1

Which in our case is every single thing which we can't change. That, is what is shit.

Also please fuck off with your "jumping the gun" (which happens when I try to aim in this game :kappa: ), there's a fuck-ton of good material on why the aiming is garbage that goes back since day-one and all you need to do is ask nicely for some on this lovely forum with fucking lovely contributors,

I did ask. My point was, don't just post "it's going to suck because the base aiming is shit." Say "it's going to suck because of *insert stuff in that thread here*.

Was that so hard?

I've linked that same link at least 10 times in this thread. The issue should be well known at this point. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dude you can't make it seem like we just randomly came up with something to complain about lol. Literally, and yes literally, no one has complained about aiming in Halo until Halo 5 came out. 

Not true. People complained about Halo 3's shit-tastic aiming.

Not true. People complained about Halo 3's shit-tastic aiming.

This is the only exception, but it isn't as bad as Halo 5s. CE, 2, Reach, 4 and the H5 Beta all had fine aiming.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Tyrant assault had to be weighted at 1/4+ of the matches in the playlist.

When will they realize that you don't get people to like their maps by shoving it in every available orifice.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So for someone who has no idea what any of this means - will the new options in MoR 'fix' the aiming issues people are having? Fix as in make it behave exactly like classic Halo titles?

Partially, at the very least. One of the solutions they suggest in that post is "Increase maximum horizontal turn speed by at least 3x (make sensitivity knob go up to 30)", and in MoR you will be able to do exactly that.

The "Remove the time-based acceleration at maximum" point was somewhat addressed in Cartographer's Gift when they added the acceleration setting, and the "Remove the velocity jump" point was somewhat addressed in the same update with the addition of the Outer Deadzone option.

I think some people (note: I didn't say all, please don't roast me) haven't had much luck fiddling with the options because they simply don't understand what turning them up or down actually does. For example, most people seem to think that setting the Outer Deadzone to 0% is ideal, but in reality you should be turning it up if you are having slow turn issues.

• Upvote (+1) 3

>Get back from a trip, ready to play my favorite game Halo 5.

>Have a Legendary Arena RP Boost.

>Figure I should pick an easy playlist to waste it on since Halo 5's atrocious aiming system prevents you from getting used to it within a reasonable amount of time.

>Griefball

>Be the first to grab the ball and and thrust back to prevent enemy team from killing me.

>Recover shields and immediately get betrayed for the ball.

>"Your team scores!"

>Respawn

>Attempting to clear ball area by swinging hammer to keep enemies at bay.

>Teammate that betrayed me for the ball walks right in front of my swing.

>Sent back to main menu and banned for 15 minutes.

>Turn Xbone off.

Things were going to go wrong already at " ready to play my favorite game Halo 5."

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Even the 4 didn't give me aiming problems. So, of all the issues I could have bitched about in any video game I've played EVER, the aiming wasn't one. Until Halo 5.

The recent dead zone adjustments they gave us access to helped some what, but it still grinds my gears. Also, the same exact button/stick click in Destiny gets me into sprint easily, while Halo 5? I have to..really try.

It's hard to explain, but what is fluid and effortlessly intuitive in one game, is a pain in the ass to concentrate to do ON THE EXACT SAME STICK on the other. I know, I know, it's that yuckky sprint...but its a current mechanic on the same input in both games, and it demonstrates it's not me, it's not my controller, it's not my internet...just what is it? Oh, it's YOU 343i.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It literally did not help a single iota. 

Unless you were having some wildly different issue than the rest of us. 

It stopped my wild jumps in velocity, particularly when aiming diagonally.  It seriously helped me about 50%.

I still struggle way more than I should with making minor reticle adjustments mid-fight, almost like my crosshair is sticking to not-him.  And the diagonal aiming still feels sluggish and wrong.  I just don't wildly launch my crosshair into the stratosphere anymore like I did near launch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's hard to explain, but what is fluid and effortlessly intuitive in one game, is a pain in the ass to concentrate to do ON THE EXACT SAME STICK on the other. I know, I know, it's that yuckky sprint...but its a current mechanic on the same input in both games, and it demonstrates it's not me, it's not my controller, it's not my internet...just what is it? Oh, it's YOU 343i.

You find it difficult to sprint?

How?

My vertical aiming scoped in is trash. Jumps all over the place.

Well, all my aiming scoped in is trash. When the game came out I picked up the DMR, scoped in, and found myself to be a windmill.

I played my first game of Halo 5 last night since like a month or so. Super Fiesta, was terrible (mainly because I sucked). I feel like you should have a better chance to get the high/fun reqs in it. I feel like a terrible person because my friend got my into PC gaming and I want to play PC games now. Like Overwatch rather than Halo 5. The aiming did feel clunky but I can't really have a real opinion on that since I haven't really touched my Xbox much lately. I feel like 343 kind of wants to make the right decisions but it's too little too late. I mean infection should have came out earlier, We should get a real aiming fix and I think we are just getting a somewhat file browser on Waypoint? I'm not trying to be the typical bandwagon hater but yeah.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

It literally did not help a single iota. 

Unless you were having some wildly different issue than the rest of us. 

Probably the weirdest thing about the aiming in this game is that everyone seems to have different problems with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I played my first game of Halo 5 last night since like a month or so. Super Fiesta, was terrible (mainly because I sucked). I feel like you should have a better chance to get the high/fun reqs in it. I feel like a terrible person because my friend got my into PC gaming and I want to play PC games now. Like Overwatch rather than Halo 5. The aiming did feel clunky but I can't really have a real opinion on that since I haven't really touched my Xbox much lately. I feel like 343 kind of wants to make the right decisions but it's too little too late. I mean infection should have came out earlier, We should get a real aiming fix and I think we are just getting a somewhat file browser on Waypoint? I'm not trying to be the typical bandwagon hater but yeah.  

Yeah, I uninstalled the game like a month ago, no point of frustrating my self with it lol. I will only get back into if the aiming is confirmed fix, other wise I've been having a relaxing time with the Witcher 3 when I do want to game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd love to get a BTB lobby going later.  If any of you fine TB people want to join up, quote this post and I'll be sure to invite you.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like a terrible person because my friend got my into PC gaming and I want to play PC games now. Like Overwatch rather than Halo 5.

Join us

tumblr_ntwtyfwsIe1uf3rxio1_500.gif

The FPS scene is coming back and consoles are being left behind.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'd love to get a BTB lobby going later.  If any of you fine TB people want to join up, quote this post and I'll be sure to invite you.

My substandard gaming and aiming may be at your sevice. When?

You find it difficult to sprint?

How?

Me click stick on Destiny. Me sprint.

Me click stick on Halo 5...Me no sprint. Me try again, me sprint.

Isn't there a controller option for this?

Probably the weirdest thing about the aiming in this game is that everyone seems to have different problems with it.

No, it's just that people don't know what's wrong with it. 343 won't tell us. 

The aiming is fucked. No question. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Isn't there a controller option for this?

They are the two games I play the most on my xbone, and the settings are the closest to being the same in both games without spending anothe 150-300 on a custom controller. Pushing forward then clicking in on the same thumbstick activates sprinting in both games.

If you get shot before reaching max sprint speed you'll be knocked out of sprint, you sure this isn't happening to you? Try going into a custom game on your own and sprinting around. I'm having literally 0 issues with it.

Servers are in the shit again.

I guess people will just get used this new trend and forget about it too?

Your sig had me crying  :dank: