CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You take that back. 

Consoles kill DOOM. Let's be real. 

Actually, a lot of blame goes to the Brutal Doom fanbase for having a large factor in killing Doom. Note, I said fanbase and not the mod itself. It's hard to explain how, so I'll just list the order of events.

• Doom mods are incredibly popular. People are making their own maps trying to meet the standards that John Romero brought to the game industry. And they're trying to propuarly balance weapons/enemies even more.
  • A mod called Brutal Doom is released
  • It's met with posititve reception from the Doom community because it's a nice break from the norm
  • Due to the nature of the mod, it attracted a much younger crowd to Doom communiities
  • New fans, great!
  • "Lol I can't kill hundreds of enemies on this map! It's way too hard! I want my bottomless clip for the BFG so I can see the gore! Make enemies easier to kill! Why am I dying while I'm doing my executions? Give me more health! Stop with these shitty maps and settings already!"
  • Arguments everywhere became more frequent and even though the Doom community wasn't perfectly mature before, the shift in age demographic of discussion became apparent.

I made it sound like it happened quickly, but that's a span of 2 or so years, maybe more. Another good example is how the attitude of the TF2 communities shifted after it went F2P. A lot of people may think this is trivial, but it matters to those who just want a constructive discussion in forums but to only be swarmed by the same people who spam YouTube comments.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I havent played a whole pile of Halo 5 in some months now. A mix of not being a fan, having no one to play with and just being busy.

But one thing I cant believe is, I still have to sell my 300 neddlers individually. What the hell 343. How have you not patched in a flicker so I can click to sell my desired amount all in the one go?  :wutface:  :wutface:  :wutface:

Funny to see people in an h5 thread say the new doom has no depth.

Doom has more depth than h5 and overall better game design. It's no shadowrun or halo CE, but it's far from modern halo's "bottom of the barrel" status.

You think the movement is clunky? Are you insane? I can literally shoot the shotgun, switch to my sniper, shoot it, switch back to my shotgun and shoot that before the enemy player finishes his reloading animation for his shotty. Ive been doing it the entire beta and out playing people left and right.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MultiLockOn/video/16708997

Yes, I claw.

EVERYTHING is insanely smooth and quick except for the clamber.

You can't be fucking serious about the map design. It's literally the best level design I've seen in a shooter since Damnation.

I can't take anything you post seriously.

The level design is pretty ass Multi but that's because of the clamber stuff and the no weapons on map shenanigans.

The strafe in the game is pretty piss poor also. The fact you can't double jump in another direction also sucks.

Game is super mediocre, and is pretty much running around in corridors. Only good thing about it is no Sprint.

Game has been negged for a reason on Steam.

Btw doom only ever had strafe running not strafe jumping(bunnyhopping). Quake had strafe jumping

one of the reasons dooms mp isn't all that relevant after quake, I think 4s is derivative and I would've preferred it to be more like quake mixed with doom(if that's even really feasible), but doom is more about the campaign for me, and doom 4s really does look fun to me. Plus snap map looks cool.

I second this. I don't want Loadouts, Starting AA's or more than two primary rifle selections.

Team Slayer:

Loadout 1: BR

Loadout 2: AR

Team Slayer Pro

BR No Radar

and that's it.

Its funny looking back on the first few pages on what everyone wanted and didnt want H5 to be

Actually, a lot of blame goes to the Brutal Doom fanbase for having a large factor in killing Doom. Note, I said fanbase and not the mod itself. It's hard to explain how, so I'll just list the order of events.

• Doom mods are incredibly popular. People are making their own maps trying to meet the standards that John Romero brought to the game industry. And they're trying to propuarly balance weapons/enemies even more.
  • A mod called Brutal Doom is released
  • It's met with posititve reception from the Doom community because it's a nice break from the norm
  • Due to the nature of the mod, it attracted a much younger crowd to Doom communiities
  • New fans, great!
  • "Lol I can't kill hundreds of enemies on this map! It's way too hard! I want my bottomless clip for the BFG so I can see the gore! Make enemies easier to kill! Why am I dying while I'm doing my executions? Give me more health! Stop with these shitty maps and settings already!"
  • Arguments everywhere became more frequent and even though the Doom community wasn't perfectly mature before, the shift in age demographic of discussion became apparent.

I made it sound like it happened quickly, but that's a span of 2 or so years, maybe more. Another good example is how the attitude of the TF2 communities shifted after it went F2P. A lot of people may think this is trivial, but it matters to those who just want a constructive discussion in forums but to only be swarmed by the same people who spam YouTube comments.

Ah, well I don't know anything about that. I mostly just stick to ZDaemon.

Depth and Doom 4 shouldn't be in the same statement.

That's all I'm going to say on that.

I've never understood the Halo community and it's obsession with a hybrid style game (and it's fervent PERSISTENCE on maintaining it as such) that exists nowhere else in the market.

Constantly touting the phrase "Arena shooter" when Halo has only been SOMEWHAT close to that with CE...

Also, the scrub mentality on this forum is insane, and that's coming from Lord Scrub Mentality himself.

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win For research purposes.

Fact of the matter is that we have the same voices constantly asking for Arena Shooter aspects, for a game series that has only walked near that line ONCE since its inception. Hypothetically, if Halo actually did flick the switch and start putting some true Arena Shooter aspects into it's gameplay/design, we would see the old tried and true, "this isn't Halo" crowd come through en masse.

The best thing, like some have stated in here, is to refine what is there regarding the next sequel and build around it. Enough with changing the wheel into a cone and then into a panda with two legs. That's not how you maintain an identity moving forward.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is a big difference in opinion from PC players and console players regarding the new DOOM. They didn't lie when they said they designed it for consoles. I had decent fun with it but won't be buying it that's for sure. 

The game has a FoV slider for the console version though? That's awesome! More people need to start realizing how glorious that is. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

There is a big difference in opinion from PC players and console players regarding the new DOOM. They didn't lie when they said they designed it for consoles. I had decent fun with it but won't be buying it that's for sure. 

The game has a FoV slider for the console version though? That's awesome! More people need to start realizing how glorious that is.

I've gotten back into fallout 4, and a fov slider would be pretty sweet, it's pretty small in that game. For new Vegas I think I have it set at 90 on my PC, and switching between the two can be jarring.

Isn't there a Doom thread for this? Lmao

Don't you and IcePrincess constantly go back and forth in here about unrelated Halo stuff bro? Haha  :wink:  :laugh:

Lol in all seriousness, I think a lot of was comparisons, so it's still slightly related. I know I was talking about comparisons at least.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the main thing I would say I can definitely understand negative reviews about (and that I've read) are the fact that there are loadouts. PC players are mainly negging the game for the same reason we hated Halo Reach and Halo 4 and the fact you can't strafe run like previous games. Most of the other complaints are just complaints just to complain (these graphics aren't totally 1337 for my 4k gr4phic5 card). 

But notice none of the complaints are not about aiming and "clunkiness." Which is what I came into the thread originally about because the aiming and movement is so damn fluent in this game; I would kill to be able to have aiming like this in Halo that is responsive, accurate, and can be tailored specifically for me. Sincerely hate when people say things are clunky on here because I swear 9/10 times it usually makes no sense.

• Upvote (+1) 6

But I have The Collectors Edition of Doom 3 on my Xbox. Unless that's not the game you're talking about.

It came a year or so later, but was first on PC.

one of the reasons dooms mp isn't all that relevant after quake, I think 4s is derivative and I would've preferred it to be more like quake mixed with doom(if that's even really feasible), but doom is more about the campaign for me, and doom 4s really does look fun to me. Plus snap map looks cool.

Pre-Quake, multiplayer was a pretty big deal if only because it was one of the first games to allow you to play a multiplayer shooter.

- Doom's aiming feels great

it's amazing that we even have to make a comparison in this day in age for fps'.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Titanfall 2 apparently has wall-running.

Ergo, Halo 6 will have wall-running.

Well, they might as well go all the way with it. 

Wall running Elites would have me immersed as fuck. 

Titanfall 2 apparently has wall-running.

Ergo, Halo 6 will have wall-running.

I mean the first titanfall had it, and in halo 5 we got clamber. Thing is though, cod has it now so there's a bigger chance we'll see it in halo now.

All this discussion of DOOM when Overwatch was the real winner this weekend.

Game is fun as shit. And idc what no one says, Hanzo is OP. Dude's a real one. Jesus.

The new Doom doesn't do anything well so I don't understand this support for it, if you're looking for an actual arena shooter you may as well play UT because Doom isn't one.

Well it doesn't look to good over at Steam, 63% of the 11 982 beta players who reviewed it hated it.