CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The only reason clamber works in the Doom beta is because 1. It is super slow compared to Quake/Unreal, and the maps are made a lot tighter 2. There is no bunny hopping or any control over airborne direction 3. The jumping mechanic is super super clunky. I always try to avoid clamber when I can (as you should) but the jumping is so bad that you're almost forced to to get any kind of fluid movement.

All it would takes for clamber to be pointless is better jumping and some tweaks to the maps and it would be great. Clamber isn't exactly an issue though, and the way it's implemented isn't game changing like BO3 and H5, which I'm quite happy with.

I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make here man lol. As you've stated, Quake/Unreal and Doom play completely different. For one, clamber is unnecessary in quake/unreal because there are no strafe jumps or things like that that can get you around and across the map. Idek know why we're even discussing Quake/Unreal tbh. Clamber in Doom feels great because the maps are well designed around the fast base movement speed in the game.

It's not game changing in H5 either though -- referring to clamber. It's the other stuff surrounding the clamber in H5 that make it "seem" like it's an issue. And it's because there's sprint and thrust that get you around the map quicker that make it game changing. That, and the maps in Halo 5 are majorly awful "Halo" maps. They're designed around the abilities in the game.

https://www.twitch.tv/naded/v/60883417

Was Naded's "rant" (for optimal click-bait) on Halo 5 linked here yet? I'm not sure what time some of this was said. But he definitely talks about some things that really need to be said by someone in the pro scene, and goes on for 30-40 min about it.

Relevant bit starts at 2:25:10.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Consoles kill DOOM. Let's be real. 

The series has already been in the ground since Doom 3. That game didn't even launch on consoles.

The Doom beta is so dull. There's barely any depth to the game, it's basically just wander around killing people and hope that the demon rune spawns near you.

The weapon feedback is poor, level design is serviceable at best, the demon rune is fucking terrible, loudouts are bad, movement feels clunky...

It's just so meh in almost every regard.

Dude you sound ridiculous man haha. I would love to know what feels "clunky" about this:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FeaR%20DeucEy/video/16709350

Mediocre clip over some of the stuff I've been getting but you get my point. Everything in that clip was about as smooth as can be. Look how fast you can transition between weapons and seamlessly move about the map. Also coupled with the fact that you can modify your aim sensitivity by each axis to your specific preference is something I've been wanting in Halo for a long time. *cough* CoD has it too *cough*.

I don't think you and Soul Flame played the same game as me. The maps play great for this style of gameplay. I would much rather play Doom than Halo 5 at this point. Like Stoppabl3 said, no radar, fast movement speed, good aiming, well designed maps to accommodate the fast paced gameplay.. I'm not sure if you're just trying to defend Halo 5 for the sake of doing it. I'm not even arguing that Doom is better, because I don't think that necessarily. What I'm saying is that Doom has done a lot of things right with this game and I thoroughly enjoy playing this game for the aspects I've listed.

The fact that I can freaking aim properly and hit my shots in a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER is probably my favorite quality in relation to Halo 5 though.

Edit:

For the record guys, I'm not even talking competitiveness (like tournament competitiveness). I think a lot of people on these forums think everything is supposed to be on an ESL circuit lol. I'm talking strictly in terms of enjoyment and balance competitiveness. Not everything needs to be played in a tournament scene. Even though I'd probably compete in this game if I had the chance lol. Would be fun as hell. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Was Naded's "rant" (for optimal click-bait) on Halo 5 linked here yet? I'm not sure what time some of this was said. But he definitely talks about some things that really need to be said by someone in the pro scene, and goes on for 30-40 min about it.

Probably because its 30-40mins of stuff we already know.

We don't need to see it, 343 do, and thats why we haven't posted it.

The aiming in DOOM feels smoother than Halo 5.  Going back to CE really shows the difference between the Halo games.

I want those axes settings for horizontal, vertical and diagonal.

Probably because its 30-40mins of stuff we already know.

We don't need to see it, 343 do, and thats why we haven't posted it.

2wZtgzN.jpg

The series has already been in the ground since Doom 3. That game didn't even launch on consoles.

But I have The Collectors Edition of Doom 3 on my Xbox. Unless that's not the game you're talking about.

Question for the people here, and answer honestly.

Does Halo 5 Team Slayer actually play better than Halo 4 Legendary Slayer(BR/AR starts, no custom loadouts, no armor abilities, no radar, no ordinance drops, and you could pick up grenades from dead Spartans again.).....?

Kinda sucks that he doesnt ever really go into detail like we do in our posts here, he kind of just says "like this sucks man, like bro". Hes right in everything he says, but he just didn't give the concrete reasons that 343 need to hear from pros. Like he should have said why Overgrowth, riptide, torque are bad for competitive, etc. Rather than just saying "they suck". They do suck Naded, but 343 need to hear the reasons. Tell them we need more sight lines and less hallways. 

He talked about how power weapons are "too easy", but should have specifically argued for reducing aim assist. 343 have demonstrated that they obviously don't possess the knowledge on how to balance skill/casual. So give them specifics that all the pros can agree with and support. Knowing 343, they'll hear "we don't like the sniper in h5" and they'll say "oh, then we'll just sub sniper for binaries". Wouldn't that be awful? /s. Tell them to nerf the magnetism on the sniper. Get a bunch of pros to post some sort of collaborated letter to 343 stating specific changes that need to happen if H5 is meant to be an e-sport.

The most frustrating thing watching these pros talk crap about the game is knowing that they literally have the biggest voices/opportunity to make an impact and they refuse to utilize it. If I was a pro that made a living off of a game, I would do anything it took to usher in changes that would benefit the game and help it take off as an e-sport. 

The snakebite/breakout/343lies exposure is literal proof that the pros have the power to fix this game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Question for the people here, and answer honestly.

Does Halo 5 Team Slayer actually play better than Halo 4 Legendary Slayer(BR/AR starts, no custom loadouts, no armor abilities, no radar, no ordinance drops, and you could pick up grenades from dead Spartans again.).....?

Yes, because Halo 4 without anything besides shooting is just as boring as default Halo 4. Taking away all the shit abilities of that game only highlights how boring/easy it is to shoot in it. 

Halo 5 may have some huge flaws but at the end of the day its much harder to aim in (with the pistol mostly), and thruster and the other abilities (beside SC) add variety and skill to gunfights in my opinion. Also the non-DLC maps in H5 are a LOT better than anything in h4.

I never thought I'd see the day O_O

O8jKFQN.png

@@CyReN - promise me that Beyond tournaments will never do this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, because Halo 4 without anything besides shooting is just as boring as default Halo 4. Taking away all the shit abilities of that game only highlights how boring/easy it is to shoot in it. 

Halo 5 may have some huge flaws but at the end of the day its much harder to aim in (with the pistol mostly), and thruster and the other abilities (beside SC) add variety and skill to gunfights in my opinion. Also the non-DLC maps in H5 are a LOT better than anything in h4.

Ayy it's LowGi

But yea H4 was also super noob friendly with no descope and sprint being even more op since you could get shields back while sprinting.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Party restrictions in matchmaking when?

Literally never you say? Oh OK.

I feel your pain :(

It's funny that 343i actually fixed party restrictions in Halo 4 near the end, and halo 4 didn't have visible ranks or a population like halo 5.

Not to mention dodging hasn't been fixed in this game either and that got fixed in MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Kinda sucks that he doesnt ever really go into detail like we do in our posts here, he kind of just says "like this sucks man, like bro". Hes right in everything he says, but he just didn't give the concrete reasons that 343 need to hear from pros. Like he should have said why Overgrowth, riptide, torque are bad for competitive, etc. Rather than just saying "they suck". They do suck Naded, but 343 need to hear the reasons. Tell them we need more sight lines and less hallways.

He talked about how power weapons are "too easy", but should have specifically argued for reducing aim assist. 343 have demonstrated that they obviously don't possess the knowledge on how to balance skill/casual. So give them specifics that all the pros can agree with and support. Knowing 343, they'll hear "we don't like the sniper in h5" and they'll say "oh, then we'll just sub sniper for binaries". Wouldn't that be awful? /s. Tell them to nerf the magnetism on the sniper. Get a bunch of pros to post some sort of collaborated letter to 343 stating specific changes that need to happen if H5 is meant to be an e-sport.

The most frustrating thing watching these pros talk crap about the game is knowing that they literally have the biggest voices/opportunity to make an impact and they refuse to utilize it. If I was a pro that made a living off of a game, I would do anything it took to usher in changes that would benefit the game and help it take off as an e-sport.

The snakebite/breakout/343lies exposure is literal proof that the pros have the power to fix this game.

100% spot on.

You're right about 343i making the wrong changes based off of poor feedback. Another example of this kinda thing was the reasoning behind sprint being a permanent armor ability in H4, that reason was because sprint was the most chosen armor ability in Reach. So they assumed people liked it but really it wasn't chosen for being "liked," it was instead chosen because of how OP it was compared to the other abilities. So once again a change got made off of poor judgement due to bad feedback.

100% spot on.

You're right about 343i making the wrong changes based off of poor feedback. Another example of this kinda thing was the reasoning behind sprint being a permanent armor ability in H4, that reason was because sprint was the most chosen armor ability in Reach. So they assumed people liked it but really it wasn't chosen for being "liked," it was instead chosen because of how OP it was compared to the other abilities. So once again a change got made off of poor judgement due to bad feedback.

Despite what was said in the past, I think we can all agree that Sprint being permanent in Halo 4 was for the same reason Halo 5 has it - people expect it in a modern FPS. 

Bad list for a few reasons:

1. Less is more. Condensing playlists to increase population of skill pools is vitally important
  2. Duplicate playlists are redundant and don't belong (despite what previous Halo games did) because they put a divide between a single audience
  3. Fewer Ranked playlists are better

Ranked

• Team Arena
  • Free-for-All
  • (Team Doubles)

Social

• Slayer
  • SWAT
  • BTB
  • Breakout (this honestly could even become Rotational due to low player base)

Rotational/Weekend/2XP/2RP

• Grifball
  • Infection
  • Race
  • Snipers
  • Multi-Team
  • Head to Head (1v1 Ranked)
  • and More...

I don't necessarily disagree with your logic (although I do want a ranked Slayer playlist), but what about objective gametypes that aren't in HCS? Like, if Tyrant isn't added to HCS, is no one ever going to play Tyrant CTF ever again? That seems a bit silly.