CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Doom has many issues. There are things in the Multiplayer that shouldn't be shoehorned into it, but they are. The new Doom is building upon the idea that Halo 4 tried to make; that you can still retain an Arena game even if you put custom loadouts. But that was already proven wrong, and now they're making the same mistake 343 did. Doom is basically Halo 4 without Sprint, but with an even more unbalanced selection of weapons to choose from along with the idea of being able to select what kind of monster you become when you get the Demon Rune.

343 pulled back enough after Halo 4 to finally consider giving everyone equal opportunity to win a match. No one needed to select the best loadout for their playstyle, or decide if they wanted a Boltshot, or any of that. It's just you, your AR and Magnum, and your skill and tactical prowess. You know with absolute certainty that a Rocket Launcher will spawn in the same location each and every time. You know you can find a BR at the bridge of your base. You don't have to second guess yourself against an enemy, because there are less random variables in a game where everything spawns accordingly.

It's a sad statement to say, but Halo now has more of what it use to have more than Doom does.

DOOM has no sprint, fast movement speed, double jump, fast responsive strafe, quick smooth aiming, no radar, secondary fire modes, power ups, power weapons, vertical maps, focus on individual duels, and portals. 

Halo 5 has equal starts..

Again I like the steps doom is taking. Its not 100 arena but it's a hell of a lot better than what the majority of shooters offers today and the devs have the courage to take a chance on old school gameplay. Something 343 should take note of..

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm talking about the opinions of people who actually played the game after it launched, not the rants of people who had only seen somebody else play when it was first revealed.

I have those same complaints and I played the game.

The implication was that we were justifying Halo based on how many people like it.

If we're arguing Halo 5 isn't a well recieved game within the current Halo community, thats just false. Anyone who hated the direction Halo's gone in at this point has basically left.

So anyone who has actually played it, usually ends up liking it.

If we're arguing Halo 5 isn't a well recieved game within the current Halo community, thats just false. Anyone who hated the direction Halo's gone in at this point has basically left.

So anyone who has actually played it, usually ends up liking it.

"The people who like it are still playing it" doesn't really mean anything.

"The people who like it are still playing it" doesn't really mean anything.

The people who never did play it never mattered either, which makes up the majority of Halo 5's detractors (besides this website probably, some of us play the game and hate themselves for it)

Is Bethesda even marketing Doom as an Arena shooter? Legit curious.

They are. I don't know where the "Doom used to be an arena shooter" stuff ever came from? Maybe it was Bethesda's marketing for Doom 4? It's just weird to see people talk about what Doom MP "used to be". I honestly think people are making shit up to sound more verteran-ish. But Doom's MP has always been under the radar ever since Quake 3 Arena. The small Doom MP fanbase moved to Quake permanently since it was better in every single way. It also had actual support. Doom is known for it's single-player and map design, which is completely lost in Doom 4.

Bethesda is trying to put this arena spin on the game. Halo: CE is basically like Quake-lite. It's not a true arena game, but it's barely an arena game. If any game is more "accessible" than CE, than it's hard for me to consider it an arena shooter. Doom 4 has loadouts, the monster pick up, and slow movement. These are three vital factors that turned me off from the game.

But I will give Doom 4 props because even though it's in that grey area of the type of shooter it really is, they at least didn't go full CoD with it. It will never become a popular eSport, but it does look more competitive than Halo 5, even though the gameplay has less depth than 343's writing.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Doom 4 has loadouts, the monster pick up, and slow movement. These are three vital factors that turned me off from the game.

Latest Doom has loadouts and monster, but the movement (for me) is like butter - super smooth. What do you think?

Also, I honestly think Halo could benefit quite a lot from Doom's customization. Taunts, Custom skins for both weapons and armor, and of course... multiple changeable armor parts (not just helmet/chest)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Latest Doom has loadouts and monster, but the movement (for me) is like butter - super smooth. What do you think?

Also, I honestly think Halo could benefit quite a lot from Doom's customization. Taunts, Custom skins for both weapons and armor, and of course... multiple changeable armor parts (not just helmet/chest)

Yes, the character and weapon customization in Doom is top notch. I'm a little aggravated by how much of it needs to be unlocked, but the amount of options available is praiseworthy.

Also, FOV SLIDER ON A CONSOLE SHOOTER LFG! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I guess movement on the ground feels alright, but the jumping is so stiff. You can't even change direction midair with the double jump.

Doom is fun, for me at least, but its gameplay would be much more suited to traditional arena setup. That means no loadouts, no demon rune, and weapons on-map.

It also has issues with readability of damage. In Halo, it's very easy to tell how much damage you have done or are currently doing to someone, and in other contemporary shooters, kill times are generally pretty short, which means you don't really have to worry about how much damage you're dishing out. In Doom however, you spawn with full health, but no armor, needing to pick it up on the map. What this means is that there's no reliable way to get a bead on how much health an opponent has. You may nail one guy with one shot of the Super Shotgun but the next guy may take 3-4 rounds to kill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They are. I don't know where the "Doom used to be an arena shooter" stuff ever came from? Maybe it was Bethesda's marketing for Doom 4? It's just weird to see people talk about what Doom MP "used to be". I honestly think people are making shit up to sound more verteran-ish. But Doom's MP has always been under the radar ever since Quake 3 Arena. The small Doom MP fanbase moved to Quake permanently since it was better in every single way. It also had actual support. Doom is known for it's single-player and map design, which is completely lost in Doom 4.

Bethesda is trying to put this arena spin on the game. Halo: CE is basically like Quake-lite. It's not a true arena game, but it's barely an arena game. If any game is more "accessible" than CE, than it's hard for me to consider it an arena shooter. Doom 4 has loadouts, the monster pick up, and slow movement. These are three vital factors that turned me off from the game.

But I will give Doom 4 props because even though it's in that grey area of the type of shooter it really is, they at least didn't go full CoD with it. It will never become a popular eSport, but it does look more competitive than Halo 5, even though the gameplay has less depth than 343's writing.

I think since they are marketing their game as an arena shooter people instantly thought they were getting Quakes MP or at least the core fans. Also, Dooms movement mechanics have never been groundbreaking, Doom 1 and 2 never had a jump button, Doom 3 had sprint and Rocket jumping was awful, it never had a dodge system like UT or the strafejump/bunnyhop Quake had, it was unbalanced and personally not even a good MP.

I think the current state is fine and it resembles the original Doom (which is all about the SP), i'm indifferent to the load outs and hack modules since i'm not going to take this game any more serious than i take Warzone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Doom 4 has loadouts, the monster pick up, and slow movement. These are three vital factors that turned me off from the game.

While I don't really mind the movement speed (jump height could stand to be higher, though, since it feels like you ALWAYS have to double jump just to get from one platform to the next), I definitely agree that the loadouts and the Demon Rune mechanic drag the game down.

The weird thing is, the weapons, at least in the Beta, don't really seem balanced for loadout gameplay. The super shotgun completely tears people apart even at ranges that most would consider absurd for a sawed-off, the rocket launcher reduces whole teams into giblets, but then you got the Heavy Machinegun which does little more than tickle your target, and the Plasma Rifle only really feels effective up close, which leaves you extremely vulnerable to the super shotgun. It just feels like these weapons, even if you disregarded Doom's past as an arena shooter, would be better suited as map pick ups.

I also don't get the two weapons only thing, especially when the weapon wheel is used in Single Player. LIke, X and Y don't do anything, and you simply never have the time to taunt in the middle of a match anyway, so surely you could implement a way for players to switch between more than two weapons on the fly with a controller.

While I don't really mind the movement speed (jump height could stand to be higher, though, since it feels like you ALWAYS have to double jump just to get from one platform to the next), I definitely agree that the loadouts and the Demon Rune mechanic drag the game down.

The weird thing is, the weapons, at least in the Beta, don't really seem balanced for loadout gameplay. The super shotgun completely tears people apart even at ranges that most would consider absurd for a sawed-off, the rocket launcher reduces whole teams into giblets, but then you got the Heavy Machinegun which does little more than tickle your target, and the Plasma Rifle only really feels effective up close, which leaves you extremely vulnerable to the super shotgun. It just feels like these weapons, even if you disregarded Doom's past as an arena shooter, would be better suited as map pick ups.

I also don't get the two weapons only thing, especially when the weapon wheel is used in Single Player. LIke, X and Y don't do anything, and you simply never have the time to taunt in the middle of a match anyway, so surely you could implement a way for players to switch between more than two weapons on the fly with a controller.

I would consider buying it if it wasn't for the Demon Rune. There's just no good counters against it besides running the fuck away. Absolute zero thought was put into balancing the demons. That's lazy design and that always turns me off from a game when I see that from a developer.

Look at Overwatch. I just finished playing in the beta and I had a lot of fun. It has Q abilities, which is basically an ultimate for each character. Like demons in Doom 4, it makes you super powerful. I dislike it, but I can see that a lot of effort was at least put into balancing the Q abilities. That shows me that they do care about the balance of the gameplay. Where when I'm playing Doom 4, it just seems like they threw a ridiculous ultimate in the game, hope that it just works, and called it a day.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think they just saw that people loved Brutal Doom and wanted to officially recreate it. 

Brutal Doom was a mistake.

Once again, there's barely anyone left playing this. You're listening to players who stuck around after Reach, H4, AND MCC.

The general sentiment for 343 is overwhelmingly negative.

The initial reception for this game was ugly. The reception now seems good, but numbers and sales certainly aren't backing that up.

Exactly. The many people that quit this game months ago have completely moved on to other games and other things. They aren't thinking about this piece of garbage game any more and certainly aren't posting about it still on the forums. I'm the exception;) The majority of people that are still around on Halo forums enjoy the game, so of course it's well received amongst them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The new Doom doesn't do anything well so I don't understand this support for it, if you're looking for an actual arena shooter you may as well play UT because Doom isn't one.