CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Exactly. Social can be more flexible to be honest and that is more an issue with how far Halo fans have been conditioned to expect extremely niche experiences, but Ranks should always be minimal.

I guess I should have specified I wasn't talking solely about Ranked. In the case of ranked playlists, I agree that it should be fairly minimal, with an MLG-style playlist (called something unintimidating), 2v2, and FFA, the last (two?) of which should ideally just be slayer. Whether Snipers should be ranked really depends on the competitive integrity of the mode, which is determined by how skillful the weapon is (not likely to increase past Reach levels under 343).

But as you said, social could be more flexible, and I'll reiterate that a game with a sizeable launch population like Halo could support more than a barebones offering out of the starting blocks. The inevitable counter is that League of Legends consolidates its players into one or two modes, but I think that Halo has a different audience, is not free-to-play, and needs to take advantage of its unique appeal as a sandbox experience. If Halo 6 had Infection, SWAT, BTB, and Snipers at launch, I don't think population fragmentation would be an issue, and I think player retention would be higher, as players perhaps unsatisfied with the core game could find something new. I think even a throwback playlist with classic settings would be successful if included in the launch window, as it would give hope to the large group of Halo veterans that checks in on launch week and immediately leaves.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The Doom beta is so dull. There's barely any depth to the game, it's basically just wander around killing people and hope that the demon rune spawns near you.

The weapon feedback is poor, level design is serviceable at best, the demon rune is fucking terrible, loudouts are bad, movement feels clunky...

It's just so meh in almost every regard.

Halo 5 is so dull. The game has little depth in its engagements. "Shoot thrust sprint". Its basically sprinting around with easy to use auto's hoping that there isn't a storm rifle user around the corner. 

The weapon sandbox is a cluttered mess with too many repetitive weapons, awful campaign, and some of the worse multiplayer maps in shooter history. Movement in the game is also a mess with junky controls..

Every single thing you said about doom can be said about halo 5 minus the loadouts. Doom is the direction Arena FPS should go and return to form. Halo 5 is abomination of titatnfall, cod, and halo and shouldn't be called an arena shooter at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Just read the comments on the youtube page.

If your idea of a "general opinion" is limited to anyone still playing Halo in 2016, then sure

Using youtube comments from a video discussing the negatives of H4/H5 is an even worse indicator of general opinion than Beyond. 

There's also the fact that I was explicitly referring to multiplayer whereas the vast majority of the comments on this video (and the video itself) discussed the campaign.

Look at the reddit thread about this video in comparison (this is on /r/games by the way, a heavily PC centric subreddit which is in no way a "safe space"): https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/497rlu/what_ever_happened_to_halo_hyperbithero_1120/

Again the majority of comments are discussing the campaign, however, the ones which discuss the gameplay and mechanics are all largely positive. The 2nd highest comment in the thread (161 upvotes) says stuff like this:

...The mechanics in Halo 5 are great. They feel a lot better than what Halo 4 was, and they should keep them the same for Halo 6. ...

Another thread about H5 on the /r/games subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3y3ejt/end_of_2015_discussions_halo_5_guardians/

In the top 30 or so comments I found 1 which wasn't very positive about the multiplayer and it had 2 upvotes. Some excerpts from the top comments:

H5's multiplayer mechanics are a huge improvement over the last two games, and the whole multiplayer experience is really good in my opinion.  

- 210 upvotes

Campaign is the worst in the series by far. But the multiplayer is one of the most fun and addicting games since Titanfall.

- 101 upvotes

The multiplayer is incredible and is so much better than Halo 4. 

- 38 upvotes.

Not saying these are great indicators for the general opinion on the game either but it's far better than youtube comments and falls very much inline with everything else I see from all over the internet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Any Reddit comment from someone comparing a game to its predecessor is automatically invalid. 

If I had a nickel for every unsubstantiated "its sooooo much better/worse than the last one omg" comment, I'd be filthy rich. 

Every single thing you said about doom can be said about halo 5 minus the loadouts. Doom is the direction Arena FPS should go and return to form. Halo 5 is abomination of titatnfall, cod, and halo and shouldn't be called an arena shooter at all. 

I'm sorry, but the new Doom's multiplayer doesn't have enough of its classic counterpart fueled into it to be considered an Arena shooter. The only aspects it retains are having to search for Health and Armor, and Powerups showing up on the map. (The latter does it randomly, which is also a negative.) Between the two games, Halo 5 actually has more Arena aspects than the new Doom. Equal Starts, Weapons on Map that spawn predictably, Powerups, and decently strong weapons to start with.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5's MP is great when compared to Reach and 4, but when your back is to the wall, its pretty damn hard to go through it unless you are trying to ruin it.

Doom shares stuff that halo 4 had (Random Powerups and power weapons, loadouts etc) and people are trying to call it a great arena shooter, while at the same time, halo 4 was slammed almost universally for doing the same thing while trying to be an "Arena" shooter.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Playing Doom finally.

Playing this game and having a blast is exactly why I love Arena shooters. It speaks to exactly why I miss old Halo style mechanics. I even said since the beginning, clamber would be fine. I have no problem with clamber. People were saying "Oh clamber sucks because it makes maps more confusing" blah blah blah. This game plays fucking amazingly with fast movement speed and clamber. The problem is sprint. I have zero problems with clamber.

Everyone who preached "sprint makes gameplay faster", play Doom and understand what fast gameplay really is. If you've been playing against good players like me, it's so difficult to keep up with everything, it's so fun! Love having to think when I play games and kids are punished when they make bad decisions.

God I wish Halo didn't have sprint.

The only reason clamber works in the Doom beta is because 1. It is super slow compared to Quake/Unreal, and the maps are made a lot tighter 2. There is no bunny hopping or any control over airborne direction 3. The jumping mechanic is super super clunky. I always try to avoid clamber when I can (as you should) but the jumping is so bad that you're almost forced to to get any kind of fluid movement.

All it would takes for clamber to be pointless is better jumping and some tweaks to the maps and it would be great. Clamber isn't exactly an issue though, and the way it's implemented isn't game changing like BO3 and H5, which I'm quite happy with.

I'm sorry, but the new Doom's multiplayer doesn't have enough of its classic counterpart fueled into it to be considered an Arena shooter. The only aspects it retains are having to search for Health and Armor, and Powerups showing up on the map. (The latter does it randomly, which is also a negative.) Between the two games, Halo 5 actually has more Arena aspects than the new Doom. Equal Starts, Weapons on Map that spawn predictably, Powerups, and decently strong weapons to start with.

Doom has its issues. I would like to see more predictably spawning but saying halo 5 is more arena is ridiculous. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Using youtube comments from a video discussing the negatives of H4/H5 is an even worse indicator of general opinion than Beyond.

There's also the fact that I was explicitly referring to multiplayer whereas the vast majority of the comments on this video (and the video itself) discussed the campaign.

Look at the reddit thread about this video in comparison (this is on /r/games by the way, a heavily PC centric subreddit which is in no way a "safe space"): https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/497rlu/what_ever_happened_to_halo_hyperbithero_1120/

Again the majority of comments are discussing the campaign, however, the ones which discuss the gameplay and mechanics are all largely positive. The 2nd highest comment in the thread (161 upvotes) says stuff like this:

Another thread about H5 on the /r/games subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3y3ejt/end_of_2015_discussions_halo_5_guardians/

In the top 30 or so comments I found 1 which wasn't very positive about the multiplayer and it had 2 upvotes. Some excerpts from the top comments:

- 210 upvotes

- 101 upvotes

- 38 upvotes.

Once again, there's barely anyone left playing this. You're listening to players who stuck around after Reach, H4, AND MCC.

The general sentiment for 343 is overwhelmingly negative.

The initial reception for this game was ugly. The reception now seems good, but numbers and sales certainly aren't backing that up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Once again, there's barely anyone left playing this. You're listening to players who stuck around after Reach, H4, AND MCC.

The general sentiment for 343 is overwhelmingly negative.

The initial reception for this game was ugly. The reception now seems good, but numbers and sales certainly aren't backing that up.

Again, where did you get this idea that the initial reception was bad? At launch the general opinion I saw was widely positive on the multiplayer, the main issues were a lack of content and no splitscreen. The actual gameplay was received really well.

I just want an announcement for Halo 3 Anniversary.

If 343 is involved in any shape or form, I'll save myself the stress and not bother getting hyped for this game. I don't know what they'll do, but if one this is for certain, it's that 343 will put their own spin on it and fuck it all up.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Again, where did you get this idea that the initial reception was bad? At launch the general opinion I saw was widely positive on the multiplayer, the main issues were a lack of content and no splitscreen. The actual gameplay was received really well.

ADS, sprint, thrusting, ground pound?

On what universe was this well received? I've never seen such a negative outburst to a game reveal, ever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In TU Reach I felt I could legitimately out manoeuvre someone to out-shoot them. I felt like I had control over my shot and it was my responsibility to read my opponent as well as hustle them myself at the same time. There was no 'out' button. The only chances you got to flee where given to you by the slow ttk, that was the only crutch.

In Halo 5 it feels like 1 on 1's are decided by who happens to fluff their shots because of the janky aiming. Strafing is barely relevant because the momentum is so strong and people just thrust around anyway. So much for reading your opponent, they'll either melt you because they've RRR'ed your dome or look like scrubs because their reticle just won't do what they want like what we saw with Frosty on Coli slayer.

I miss feeling like I genuinely outshot someone, and I haven't felt that since Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Any Reddit comment from someone comparing a game to its predecessor is automatically invalid.

If I had a nickel for every unsubstantiated "its sooooo much better/worse than the last one omg" comment, I'd be filthy rich.

Yeah lets just disregard their opinions because its from a different website

Only time an argument is invalid with Halo is when someone uses immersion to justify gameplay decisions

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah lets just disregard their opinions because its from a different website

Only time an argument is invalid with Halo is when someone uses immersion to justify gameplay decisions

Well, that's your immersion demographic...

ADS, sprint, thrusting, ground pound?

On what universe was this well received? I've never seen such a negative outburst to a game reveal, ever.

I'm talking about the opinions of people who actually played the game after it launched, not the rants of people who had only seen somebody else play when it was first revealed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not always

Point being that Reddit is a completely random assortment of gamers, 99% of which have probably not put considerate thought into the actual what's-what of Halo from game to game (nevermind that half of the entire gaming world absolutely hates Halo already). 

"I just like that one better" doesn't help us much here. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm talking about the opinions of people who actually played the game after it launched, not the rants of people who had only seen somebody else play when it was first revealed.

As if the population has flourished. Ever since launch, server performace has gotten worse, anyone outside of the U.S. has been unable to find matches for large portions of the day, and even high ranked U.S. players couldn't find matches less than a week after launch until they relaxed the matchmaking parameters. I know because I couldn't find FFA matches 3 days after the game released.

The vast majority of people who played any other Halo game didn't even touch this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Point being that Reddit is a completely random assortment of gamers, 99% of which have probably not put considerate thought into the actual what's-what of Halo from game to game (nevermind that half of the entire gaming world absolutely hates Halo already). 

"I just like that one better" doesn't help us much here.

Okay....but whats the issue with saying that as an opinion? Liking Halo 5 over Halo 2 isn't invalid, but if thats your argument in regards to what to make Halo's gameplay based on instead of something like "Halo 5's thrusters promote faster movement..." Or something, than yeah, its invalid.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Doom has its issues. but saying halo 5 is more arena is ridiculous. 

Doom has many issues. There are things in the Multiplayer that shouldn't be shoehorned into it, but they are. The new Doom is building upon the idea that Halo 4 tried to make; that you can still retain an Arena game even if you put custom loadouts. But that was already proven wrong, and now they're making the same mistake 343 did. Doom is basically Halo 4 without Sprint, but with an even more unbalanced selection of weapons to choose from along with the idea of being able to select what kind of monster you become when you get the Demon Rune.

343 pulled back enough after Halo 4 to finally consider giving everyone equal opportunity to win a match. No one needed to select the best loadout for their playstyle, or decide if they wanted a Boltshot, or any of that. It's just you, your AR and Magnum, and your skill and tactical prowess. You know with absolute certainty that a Rocket Launcher will spawn in the same location each and every time. You know you can find a BR at the bridge of your base. You don't have to second guess yourself against an enemy, because there are less random variables in a game where everything spawns accordingly.

It's a sad statement to say, but Halo now has more of what it use to have than Doom does.

Okay....but whats the issue with saying that as an opinion? Liking Halo 5 over Halo 2 isn't invalid, but if thats your argument in regards to what to make Halo's gameplay based on instead of something like "Halo 5's thrusters promote faster movement..." Or something, than yeah, its invalid.

The implication was that we were justifying Halo based on how many people like it. 

• Downvote (-1) 1