CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This is all very well and good for a game with population issues, but what about for a game that is launching? Wouldn't you say there should be a few more playlists that hang around for a couple months (or longer, if the population doesn't dive) in order not to drive people away because of scarcity of options? I only bring this up because you've been advocating for this kind of playlist design for at least a year--before Halo 5 even launched or was suspected to suffer from a mass exodus--and because most of the feedback in this thread is assumed to be more directed toward Halo 6 than Halo 5.

The whole "population conservation and playlist desegregation" thinking seems like self-fulfilling logic when applied to games at launch, almost expecting them to fail.

The thing is that playlist separation is impossible to truly apply any sort of absolutes to. Less isn't always more, and more is isn't always more. While I'm not sure how I feel about Infinity's social playlist population, he has an excellent point about ranked; the less "variety" of ranks there are, the more they mean to people. This is also the logic Halo speedrunners use; instead of counting the world records for any single variable, like some level on Heroic on Co-op with the Birthday Party skull on, they only collect 4 kinds of records

-Easy on a certain level (Fastest version of a single instance)

-Legendary on a certain level (Hardest version of a single instance)

-Easy on a full game run.

-Legendary on a full game run.

This way, when someone claims a world record, it really means something, since the community isn't over saturated with world records, and there are an extremely limited amount that can be held at any time.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The thing is that playlist separation is impossible to truly apply any sort of absolutes to. Less isn't always more, and more is isn't always more. While I'm not sure how I feel about Infinity's social playlist population, he has an excellent point about ranked; the less "variety" of ranks there are, the more they mean to people. This is also the logic Halo speedrunners use; instead of counting the world records for any single variable, like some level on Heroic on Co-op with the Birthday Party skull on, they only collect 4 kinds of records

-Easy on a certain level (Fastest route of a single instance)

-Legendary on a certain level (Hardest route of a single instance)

-Easy on a full game run.

Legendary on a full game run.

This way, when someone claims a world record, it really means something, since the community isn't over saturated with world records, and there are an extremely limited amount that can be held at any time.

Exactly. Social can be more flexible to be honest and that is more an issue with how far Halo fans have been conditioned to expect extremely niche experiences, but Ranks should always be minimal.

• Upvote (+1) 1

they decided to move the arm spot on torque to the plat overlooking courtyard, which is the dumbest fucking thing imaginable. good job

• Upvote (+1) 1

So annoying when you can't quit out of social games because you'll get banned. Had a game where my entire team quit so it was 1 vs 8 for 6 minutes. So fun.. Give me a surrender option or something to avoid these situations when playing solo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

they decided to move the arm spot on torque to the plat overlooking courtyard, which is the dumbest fucking thing imaginable. good job

Don't doubt 343i's decisions. They know what they are doing.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 7

Playing Doom finally. 

Playing this game and having a blast is exactly why I love Arena shooters. It speaks to exactly why I miss old Halo style mechanics. I even said since the beginning, clamber would be fine. I have no problem with clamber. People were saying "Oh clamber sucks because it makes maps more confusing" blah blah blah. This game plays fucking amazingly with fast movement speed and clamber. The problem is sprint. I have zero problems with clamber.

Everyone who preached "sprint makes gameplay faster", play Doom and understand what fast gameplay really is. If you've been playing against good players like me, it's so difficult to keep up with everything, it's so fun! Love having to think when I play games and kids are punished when they make bad decisions.

God I wish Halo didn't have sprint. 

Same, but I think Halo is forever stuck with sprint. We thought they got it after they removed it from Reach, then made the abomination Halo, and now we have Halo 5. DOOM was really fun to play, and reminded me of real fast paced arena style shooters. Maybe Halo 6 will have no sprint.

Same, but I think Halo is forever stuck with sprint. We thought they got it after they removed it from Reach, then made the abomination Halo, and now we have Halo 5. DOOM was really fun to play, and reminded me of real fast paced arena style shooters. Maybe Halo 6 will have no sprint.

I've been a fan of Unreal Tournament for a longgggg time. I'm in love with this game right now. I wholeheartedly wish Halo 5 had this movement speed. These games are so fast paced when you go up against people who know what they're doing. I think we're stuck with Sprint too though. Which is stupid. The mechanics that the game were popularized and founded upon are no longer in the game. 

You would think that since Halo is much less popular these days they would get the message...

• Upvote (+1) 7

The Doom beta is so dull. There's barely any depth to the game, it's basically just wander around killing people and hope that the demon rune spawns near you.

The weapon feedback is poor, level design is serviceable at best, the demon rune is fucking terrible, loudouts are bad, movement feels clunky...

It's just so meh in almost every regard.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

The Doom beta is so dull. There's barely any depth to the game, it's basically just wander around killing people and hope that the demon rune spawns near you.

The weapon feedback is poor, level design is serviceable at best, the demon rune is fucking terrible, loudouts suck, movement feels quite clunky...

It's just bland.

I agree with most of these, Doom won't be a game that people take seriously in a competitive sense in its current state. And yet the game undeniably has elements that evoke the feeling of older Arena shooters.

Almost no animations that interfere with combat, room based map design, fast movement speed, health/armor recovery through pick ups.

Even with all the issues (some of which will be remedied by custom maps hopefully), the game demonstrates the quality and pure fun of classic arena mechanics imo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The weapon feedback is poor, level design is serviceable at best, the demon rune is fucking terrible, loudouts are bad, movement feels clunky...

It's just so meh in almost every regard.

I enjoy it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've been a fan of Unreal Tournament for a longgggg time. I'm in love with this game right now. I wholeheartedly wish Halo 5 had this movement speed. These games are so fast paced when you go up against people who know what they're doing. I think we're stuck with Sprint too though. Which is stupid. The mechanics that the game were popularized and founded upon are no longer in the game. 

You would think that since Halo is much less popular these days they would get the message...

tumblr_nppkdv1aDx1s46koto7_500.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

who was this game even made for?

"Halo" fans.

Even if someone were to actually think that, general opinion towards H4/H5 and 343 is awful.

It makes you seriously wonder what was going on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey, 343i is just imitating the way Bungie made their games. Make a good first game, then alienate anyone who was a fan of that game by making a sequel with radically different mechanics and gameplay, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.

I just want an announcement for Halo 3 Anniversary.

Halo 3: Anniversary for PC come on we're desperate.

People who either got destroyed in past Halo games or kids who have to wear floaties when they take a shower so they don't drown in the tub. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

general opinion towards H5 is awful.

If you're idea of a general opinion is limited to Beyond then sure.

(In general the multiplayer has been received well, regardless of what people say in this thread)

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If you're idea of a general opinion is limited to Beyond then sure.

(In general the multiplayer has been received well, regardless of what people say in this thread)

Just read the comments on the youtube page.

If your idea of a "general opinion" is limited to anyone still playing Halo in 2016, then sure

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just read the comments on the youtube page.

If your idea of a "general opinion" is limited to anyone still playing Halo in 2016, then sure

General opinion these days is either paid reviews or a reddit safe space.

I just want an announcement for Halo 3 Anniversary.

I hope they outsource it to Bungie, for the love of God. Every Halo title from 343 has been terrible.

• Downvote (-1) 1