CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Map looks beautiful.  

Looks like some shit outa destiny,

I like..

The forge community in this game can make better maps than the developers.

Its a shame they wont put any in Arena any time soon.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Then why have winners and losers? Competitive by definition is simply a winner and a loser. Skillful? That's another story. Competition though is clearly defined as designating a winner and a loser...thus a competition is taking place.

Beer pong is a competitive game, there is somewhat of a skill involved in it depending how you look at it.

All I'm saying is, if you're going to have AI involved in a pvp game...the AI should contribute whatsoever to the outcome of the game, in other words, AI shouldn't give you "points" toward the match total to determine a victor.

That's why I think Warzone is a dumb game. A team can farm the AI basically and win the game without ever focusing on the PVP aspect.

This isn't a debate about everything being esports, it's a debate about common sense of what competitive multiplayer is and always should be...a PVP game setting where there is a designated winner/loser. Period.

I really don't understand this argument. Why does the fact that one team can win mean that PvE shouldn't give you points?

Fundamentally how exactly is a PvE boss different from any other point based objective?

For example in King of the Hill you fight against the enemy team to try and control the hill and gain points, in Warzone you fight against the enemy team to try and be the first to kill a boss and gain points.

The Warzone bosses are just a new type of objective, albeit an objective which fights back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Then why have winners and losers?

There is a winner and loser because there are 2 teams, and the game has to end at some point.

And while most of us won't play warzone to specifically win, if there is a score and the game is 950-940 and all that's left is warden eternal, I'm likely to go after him for that final blow so I get a victory. I just won't be mad if the other team gets the win.

I get what's being said. Everything with PvP MP is competitive no matter how you look at it(I remember the disappointment and rage from Bungie's use of the word for Desinty's PvP).

With that said, all it is is an objective as if it was CTF or Assault. And it's not like the ones that count as points are one shot kill grunts just standing there waiting to be shot. It's a great way to assign a role to players that might not feel like they can contribute in other modes. You may argue against it because it involves winning and losing but that's probably one reason as to why it was made.

It may be that Warzone isn't your cup of tea and that's alright. 

competitive multiplayer is and always should be...a PVP game setting where there is a designated winner/loser. Period.

If people always think the same when designing a product and try not to break the mold then what's the point in being in a position as creative as a game developer? [insert 343 joke here]. That's what Warzone is suppose to be - an attempt at breaking the mold and bringing something new to the table. No need to worry though. I don't think a Warden will spawn in a Slayer game during Game 5 of the 2017 HWC Grand Finals.

• Upvote (+1) 1

no one talks and there are so many shit gametypes.

assault on fathom is trash. Why did they move the arm location closer to porch? it makes it too easy

the dumbest is having 3 people in a chat on the same team. Why not just use your mics?

For some reason you can't speak in lobby

I'm curious why 343 doesn't step outside of the norm and develop a map like that, or a map of some old ruins or something. I've seen some map that looked influenced by ancient Greece and it was pretty damn epic. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Again though, is that honestly a negative if your point of reference (maps) are scaled to that speed?

Combine that with a larger FOV and you can give the illusion of being fast without the "illusion"* of sprint

(* - some people actually call Sprint being an illusion of speed a reason for keeping it in lol)

This is the point I wanted to address.  All we really need to appease sprint supporters is an illusion!  Most of their argument is based on immersion, lore, and feel.  What if we just made it so that when you're moving forward, your spartan's animation changed to a run?  You could apply some screen affects like you're accelerating, sort of like our sprint animation does now as you reach charge speed.  Hell, you could even make the spartan gradually accelerate a bit for all care, perhaps up to a 10-15% increase if he continually moves forward.  I wouldn't hate that.  The key is that the you retain all of your combat options at all times like the old games.  I feel like that would appease both camps for the most part.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is the point I wanted to address.  All we really need to appease sprint supporters is an illusion!  Most of their argument is based on immersion, lore, and feel.  What if we just made it so that when you're moving forward, your spartan's animation changed to a run?  You could apply some screen affects like you're accelerating, sort of like our sprint animation does now as you reach charge speed.  Hell, you could even make the spartan gradually accelerate a bit for all care, perhaps up to a 10-15% increase if he continually moves forward.  I wouldn't hate that.  The key is that the you retain all of your combat options at all times like the old games.  I feel like that would appease both camps for the most part.

Precisely.

This also eliminates the hassle of balancing a Halo game out with faster base speed since you are not fundamentally changing anything except the visual feedback you get while moving.

Any update on a classic playlist in matchmaking?

Yeah I think I remember Quinn addressing a classic playlist recently.  Something to the effect of "pfffffft", or "fuck off and die". Can't remember.

• Upvote (+1) 8

So the only good part about Halo 4 were the DLC Maps They were actually fun and enjoyable.

So why the fuck are the Halo 5 LC maps sobad?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You know this kind of thing pisses me off because this is basically every response to anything sandbox related by Quinn

I would laugh a lot harder if I knew my feedback was being taken seriously or at least considered

I like how the first part referenced Waypoint.

Binary Rifle primary, Fuel Rod secondary. 

So there are two power weapons?   I like the Binary riffle, not so much the fuel rod.

Where do they spawn?

What is "new" about it?

They moved the Splinters from the saddle on top mid. Now they're on either side of it.

Genuinely curious, why don't any forgers make more quake-style maps for Halo 5?

http://www.goodstuffmaynard.com/portfolio/independent/cdg/index.html

Reason I ask is because this game has good mechanics that would adapt to quake-style maps pretty easily.

I suck at forge, but I love sketching out quake maps, and would love to share with forgers if they would be willing to create them.