CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

To be clear, I don't think a minor speed boost to CE would produce any meaningful results aside from increasing the shooting skill gap, which would be peachy.

But if players were whipping around at the speed of Quake or old Doom on Chill Out, it could have some negative repercussions.

Which I what I'm saying...

I don't think we're disagreeing here.

Didn't most of us play Halo because it was different than other games? I don't get this obsession to be like other games nowadays. I wonder how much people play Halo 5 because of the abilities and wouldn't play other wise. It seems like the majority of people that play Halo 5 are lifelong Halo fans, or fans since atleast Halo 3. Those numbers are probably impossible to calculate, but I don't think these new abilities are selling points to a lot of people. Maybe were the minority, maybe not, but it feels like some of these changes are too much for older fans and not enough for newer FPS players. Oh well, not like things are going to change any way.

And COD 4 was fucking awesome. I have hated COD since MW2 and will never touch another COD game, but COD 4 was the shit. I put as much time into that game as Halo 3, which was a lot. Abilities play a big role in liking a Halo or COD game, but at the end of the day, it's if the game is consistently fun or not.

I never once have played a game cause it was "different". I played Halo because I loved the campaign.

Halo not being a full blown arena shooter means it really can't support ultra fast speeds in base settings, it's fun for customs sure but a little faster than ce is really the best we can do, and besides, strafe acceleration is also an incredibly important part of it as well.

I didn't even check, what was the "social" playlist this last weekend?

Multi Team. It was 3v3v3v3 just like Reach, and Halo 4. It played on BTB maps and Torque. It was AR/Pistol starts which felt good on the BTB maps.

I didn't even check, what was the "social" playlist this last weekend?

Multi-team ... pretty fun, plus it takes longer for the ranks to kick in due to the fact that three teams lose every game

Hmm? You only move slow when map design is bad.

You move around Chill Out quickly becaue it's designed around that speed.

Yes, a game like Quak is objectively faster, but so long as your maps are built around a speed, you aren't "slow".

That's not he's referring to. He's referring to literal movement speed in relation to your surroundings/size.

In the same way Sprint "moving fast" is an illusion because of big map design, no Sprint is "fast" because of small map design.

A player would actually need to relatively see that they are moving fast based on the size of things compared to their player model to justify that they are moving quickly.

No Halo game has actually had very fast base movement speed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

^ tr00f

Halo's movement may have been appropriate for the map sizes at certain points, but what we're talking about is removing the need for sprint by giving players the "feeling" of moving fast, which is contextual to one's environment.

They're not going to be satisfied unless they feel like they're zooming around, regardless of whether or not they're actually accomplishing things more quickly.

The only issue is that what would be considered fast movement for Halo might break a speed limit where certain game variables become incoherent.

That's not he's referring to. He's referring to literal movement speed in relation to your surroundings/size.

In the same way Sprint "moving fast" is an illusion because of big map design, no Sprint is "fast" because of small map design.

A player would actually need to relatively see that they are moving fast based on the size of things compared to their player model to justify that they are moving quickly.

No Halo game has actually had very fast base movement speed.

Which I agree with, but how fast you feel is also dependant on what your point of reference is. We're talking the "feeling" of being fast for a modern audience, not how objectively fast you are, because yes, you are objectively slower than say, Quake, like I said in the quote.

The point being that there are ways of making players feel fast without buffing the movement such as smaller maps and widee FOV.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If I had to give one positive to sprint would be it's fluidity with the SA's allowing for some nutty movement in gunfights.

I.e sliding around the corner, using the momentum to jump one way then thrust back to where you came from == windmills for days.

Not necessarily related but map design can influence the speed at which the players traverse it, Avalanche had teleporters and man cannons to get players around a rather large space without having to use a vehicle. So I think if a map has features that features to enhance traversal, it may not feel as though the player is necessarily slow, since if they know the map they could take advantage of said features.

Which I agree with, but how fast you feel is also dependant on what your point of reference is. We're talking the "feeling" of being fast for a modern audience, not how objectively fast you are, because yes, you are objectively slower than say, Quake, like I said in the quote.

The point being that there are ways of making players feel fast without buffing the movement such as smaller maps and widee FOV.

Well aware.

Just saying that the average joe is caring about objective speed, and while "gameplay speed" may be better from a design perspective we might need a literal speed buff, a significant one, to re-market Halo multiplayer (despite how much people argue that it doesn't need to be re-marketed)

YO looking to join a spartan company that does not have achillies. but is full of active players any suggestions?

Well aware.

Just saying that the average joe is caring about objective speed, and while "gameplay speed" may be better from a design perspective we might need a literal speed buff, a significant one, to re-market Halo multiplayer (despite how much people argue that it doesn't need to be re-marketed)

At what point though do you ruin Halo by making it too quick? Halo is on a fine line between military FPS and arena....something as simple as changing the base speed objectively will be way more difficult to balance rather thab just increasing the FOV for the illusion while maintaining Halo's consistent speed
  • Upvote (+1) 1

At what point though do you ruin Halo by making it too quick? Halo is on a fine line between military FPS and arena....something as simple as changing the base speed objectively will be way more difficult to balance rather thab just increasing the FOV for the illusion while maintaining Halo's consistent speed

Halo 5, as many people know, has a heavy amount of inconsistency due to erratic movement. While it isn't entirely game shattering because of fast kill times, radar, and tradeoffs, it still can be tough to predict.

If a future Halo game were to remove Sprint/Slide but increase the base speed to a nice middle ground between old Halo and Halo 5's fast movement then I don't think anyone would complain.

Objectively fast movement + consistency that Halo 5 lacks.

I vote wider FOV with sprint taken out, maybe 10% movement speed buff, and maps designed for no sprint.

Oh and also a well optimized PC version of Halo 6.

• Upvote (+1) 4

All I know is that they need to fix the wide FOV filter in Forge so we can actually use it.

ELI5?

The FOV widens normally, but doesn't narrow when you scope in. Which is odd, because scopes behave as expected when using the FOV In filter.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am wondering if I should make an illusion myself, with sprint, fov, and no sprint in Unity. Then have a voting to see which one seems faster, and which one really is faster. Just to prove how easy it is to manipulate things. 

I am wondering if I should make an illusion myself, with sprint, fov, and no sprint in Unity. Then have a voting to see which one seems faster, and which one really is faster. Just to prove how easy it is to manipulate things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se95M2ySzDI

I recommend everyone watch if they're interested in FOV and how it could benefit Halo and make it "feel" faster without sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 2

One thing that interests me regarding the topic of base movement speeds and map design in quake is how circle and strafe jumping factor into map design. I'd say rocket jumping to but to a much less extent and is kinda un related in this point.

Yes there is a base speed, but you can traverse the map going 2x base speed when you build up momentum. How do you design maps properly with these techniques in mind that compliment the advanced movements rather than hinder them?

After all a lot of quake maps would be absolutely horrible in various Halo games. However, Downrush and Decidia are maps from a Quake mod right? They play fantastic on CE, despite the complete differences in movement speed, even though those maps were designed for a faster game.