CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It doesn't, but it's still more fun to play.

I dunno, when I played it, the Master Chief Collection had pretty good connection.  Relatively lag free.  But, at the same time, people tended to either get disconnected or quit.

https://youtu.be/RgMAM3wUDpI

Hey guys. I've posted a video by a guy named xgllx. He's pretty notorious for making video responses and he made one against me.

please go in to the comments and see my back and forth with him. (My username is Colton king in the comments)

Let me know what you think

In the first minute, he's already using a BTB remake as an example. Pro-sprint players never seem to understand that they don't need to stretch out BTB maps because they are already large enough to accommodate sprint. Try doing the same experiment on Truth, you will notice.

In the first minute, he's already using a BTB remake as an example. Pro-sprint players never seem to understand that they don't need to stretch out BTB maps because they are already large enough to accommodate sprint. Try doing the same experiment on Truth, you will notice.

A lot of pro sprint people don't seem to understand a lot of the anti sprint arguments.  Right before Favyn's thread on Waypoint was locked, you know what one of the most liked pro-sprint posts said?  "Jesus. Who's gonna read all that.Some answer, no, sprint is not being removed.Get over it. We ha be super suits, now we get to use them.".  It was completely stupid, I was giving out detailed reasons why Sprint doesn't work in Halo, and this a-hole just says a 3 sentence post and gets a billion upvotes.  Pro-sprinters are echoing each other's statements now, it seems.

• Upvote (+1) 8

While I never expect Sprint to be removed, Ryan Darcey's tone during his GDC talk sounded as if Sprint was extremely close to the cutting board during Halo 5 development but was kept in primarily to abstain from deviating from the FPS market.

For Sprint removal to be successful in a future Halo title, it has to be marketed in an extremely unique way.

• Upvote (+1) 1

While I never expect Sprint to be removed, Ryan Darcey's tone during his GDC talk sounded as if Sprint was extremely close to the cutting board during Halo 5 development but was kept in primarily to abstain from deviating from the FPS market.

For Sprint removal to be successful in a future Halo title, it has to be marketed in an extremely unique way.

Or it doesn't. I mean, look at Doom. We can argue that game's quality of gameplay, but nobody cares about it's no sprint because it's not even considered a special thing to not have to the marketers.

Halo sells on name alone still. They could just as easily remove sprint and we'd be fine.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hasn't Sprint been in Halo just as long as it hasn't now?

Or we're getting pretty close to it.

I'll never forget when I was at EGX waiting to play H2A and the guy currently playing goes "how do I sprint".

I'll never forget when I was at EGX waiting to play H2A and the guy currently playing goes "how do I sprint".

3 more years and we will be

@@Sal1ent its not too late

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 more years and we will be

@@Sal1ent its not too late

Has it been that long since Reach?  Huh.

I don't know if this is a popular opinion here (I'm rather new to TB), but in my opinion, considering that Sprint has been in Halo for 3 games, it would be an evolution if sprint is removed.

A lot of pro sprint people don't seem to understand a lot of the anti sprint arguments.  Right before Favyn's thread on Waypoint was locked, you know what one of the most liked pro-sprint posts said?  "Jesus. Who's gonna read all that.Some answer, no, sprint is not being removed.Get over it. We ha be super suits, now we get to use them.".  It was completely stupid, I was giving out detailed reasons why Sprint doesn't work in Halo, and this a-hole just says a 3 sentence post and gets a billion upvotes.  Pro-sprinters are echoing each other's statements now, it seems.

Such is the struggle of being a nostalgic edgelord.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It is hilarious seeing people complain about wordiness. Like @@Hard Way said, people are seriously complaining about words on a text based forum.

Ridiculous kids trying to appear intelligent or smug.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Forgetting for a moment all of the clear issues that Sprint in Halo produces gameplay wise, map design wise, etc...

Players "expect" to be able to sprint now, when playing FPS titles. Over time other games,m such as Call of Duty for example, saw great success and popularity using sprint (among other things), and it has just spread like wildfire as a "standard" these days for FPS games.

However, the over arching issue is that if every game is starting to have similar features (which they are) then if you are an FPS fan the gaming experience becomes stale.

Most AAA FPS games in recent memory offer very similar experiences - sprinting, some variation of boosting, jet packing, wall running, clambering etc. This is a problem.

It has basically gotten to the point that you aren't having completely different experiences (which you should be having) even though you are switching between entirely different AAA titles produced by completely different studios and teams.

I guarantee that whichever studio decides to break the mold from what are mostly nonsense feature sets, they will see great success.

It seems like FPS studios are so busy playing "Follow the leader" to the Call of Duty franchise, trying to dip their toes into their fan base, that they forgot how to make an original title with an original experience.

/rant

Bless you Saucey

They don't most of are either ignorant about sprint negative effects the game or they don't give a shit why do you think their only arguments to support sprint being in the game and I use the term "arguments" extremely loosely here is "I wanna a feel like a Spartan" or "Spartans should be able to sprint".

While those of us who actually know how sprint damages the damage and ruins the map design we have objective facts on our side to support why Sprint shouldn't be in the game and how it makes the game worse honestly 343 shouldn't be listening to them when it comes to game design/game mechanics.

Because they're straight up clueless if that's the best they come with in terms of arguments to support sprint being in the game.

2001-2010 vs 2010-2016.

We have 3 years! It's not too late guys!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Master Chief is getting old so he can no longer sprint. Boom.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

A player is not going to need to feel like they have to sprint if they already move fairly fast, which in Halo games you do not. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

I posted a big reply to someone else on that video ( done with him, but there's still hope for the rest of em)

No response. I'm waiting for another hour long video in response to my hastily written comment. ( he's done that before)

tbh I just have a personal stake in getting rid of sprint because I hate having to press the x button to keep up with people :kappa:

Seriously though, as long as the player moves reasonably fast and we have actual beneficial movement option i.e the wall kick @@Gobias and @@Batchford have brought up, we could have a healthy, solid, and successful Halo.

As Lemon said having a fast enough base movement speed would completely negate the need for sprint as everything that sprint does can be accomplished by having a fast movement speed but without the negative effects that come with sprint.

All they would really need to do is have a fast enough base movement speed that doesn't feel slow and also making sure it doesn't feel like you're ice skating and I seriously doubt anyone who played classic arena fps like quake ever asked for sprint to be added into the game.

A player is not going to need to feel like they have to sprint if they already move fairly fast, which in Halo games you do not.

Hmm? You only move slow when map design is bad.

You move around Chill Out quickly becaue it's designed around that speed.

Yes, a game like Quak is objectively faster, but so long as your maps are built around a speed, you aren't "slow".

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yes, a game like Quak is objectively faster, but so long as your maps are built around a speed, you aren't "slow".

True, but the typical dumb sentiment of "H1 maps are too small for 4v4" does apply at a certain point, and otherwise we want the speed/strafe to be fast enough such that a player can competently dodge shots. I'd argue that every Halo has given us the bare, bare minimum as far as that goes. 

A combination of both smaller maps and a sprint-like base speed could do wonders.

True, but the typical dumb sentiment of "H1 maps are too small for 4v4" does apply at a certain point, and otherwise we want the speed/strafe to be fast enough such that a player can competently dodge shots. I'd argue that every Halo has given us the bare, bare minimum as far as that goes.

Again though, is that honestly a negative if your point of reference (maps) are scaled to that speed?

Combine that with a larger FOV and you can give the illusion of being fast without the "illusion"* of sprint

(* - some people actually call Sprint being an illusion of speed a reason for keeping it in lol)

• Upvote (+1) 1