CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

How about 110%

110% would help alot fo the problems with sprint, but at the same time highlight the major problem(While nerfing it.)

With 110% the increase wouldn't make it worth it to do anything but Run away from battles.  At the moment you are sacrificing weapon readiness to get to a better position Faster, with such a small increase the negatives outweighs the benefits while moving into battle, So the primary use will be to run away from battles.

But this still brings into problems of halo plays better with everyone moving at one speed, and the fact that you should have your weapon ready at pretty much at all times.

If Sprint HAS to be in, It would be better with such a small bonus, but it's still a better idea to keep with the "Always Sprinting" with a higher increase movement speed ideas.

Halo CE and Halo 2 Classic/Anniversary have the best skyboxes IMO, Halo 3's skyboxes are very close...

Oh definitely.

I remember the second level of Halo Ce I'd look up and see so many daytime stars.  One of my favorite skyboxes of all time.

• Upvote (+1) 6

How do I get this update? Do we have to wait for the beta to come out.

The update just overwrote a lot of files in the current build. You just need to download the beta on the 29th.

It is so frustrating to read everyone here saying things like "It's such a minor change, get over it" when people rightly complain about things such as weapon redesigns, overabundance of medals, changes to sound design, etc. The small, insignificant changes really do add up. Things like the beginning of a match having the map fly-around and spartan intros/outros are minor changes. Weapon redesigns are minor changes. Shield sounds are minor elements of the game. ADS instead of zoom, as long as it functions the same, is a minor change. And little things changing from game to game are okay. Nobody wants the game to be exactly the same as the previous one because that would be redundant.

But the combination of all this little changes, especially when there are so many from one game to the next, results in something that doesn't even resemble the previous games. If you show someone Halo 1 and then Halo 3, it is believable that they are part of the same franchise despite how different those games are at high levels of play. But Halo 5 just doesn't fit. Why is it a bad thing for Halo to be Halo? Why are we in the wrong for wanting the game to look, feel, and play like a Halo game?

SO many people in this thread seem to be content that Halo 5 is shaping up to be a fun, competitive title. Why on earth are you okay with that? Why would you be okay with getting a game that is competitive but not Halo? For lack of a better example I'll use Black Ops 2 since that had a good competitive scene for a CoD game. Would you be okay with Halo 5 if it was literally Black Ops 2 with a Halo skin, just because "who cares, it has a huge skill gap"? I'm not even good at Halo, but I fucking love it and want to play games with the HALO style of play. I want 343 to make a HALO game. Everyone settling for bullshit like ADS and sprint and chaotic spartan abilities that are totally against the spirit of not only the franchise but arena shooters in general is insanity. I feel like I'm in an alternate reality where Teambeyond is actually Waypoint or something.

Halo 5 might be a solid competitive title, but hell, have you guys seen what Titanfall looks like at high levels of play? Go play that instead if all you want is a shooter with a large skill gap. For those of us who actually want a proper Halo game, we'll be waiting patiently (or playing the MCC lol).

CZCl8OX.gif

• Upvote (+1) 9

-snip-

I'm waiting to see more of Halo 5's maps and gameplay before making a decision.  It's not exactly Halo, but it's similar to Halo, and sadly that's the best I'm going to find at this point.

But you still put words to what many of us feel.  We are intimidated into silence on forums like Waypoint with completely asinine arguments employed by people who don't even like what Halo actually is to begin with.  "If you want your franchise to retain its identity you just hate change".  I could write a paragraph on everything wrong with such arguments.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm waiting to see more of Halo 5's maps and gameplay before making a decision.  It's not exactly Halo, but it's similar to Halo, and sadly that's the best I'm going to find at this point.

But you still put words to what many of us feel.  We are intimidated into silence on forums like Waypoint with completely asinine arguments employed by people who don't even like what Halo actually is to begin with.  "If you want your franchise to retain its identity you just hate change".  I could write a paragraph on everything wrong with such arguments.

I hate to sound like an advertising bot or something but look into this indie PC arena shooter called Toxikk. It goes into beta in less than a month and honestly reminds me more of Halo than Halo 5 itself does. I'm not a PC gamer at all but I'm definitely going to be playing it.

It may sound arrogant but why is it that the extremely dedicated fans often know better than the actual developers? Look at Project M for example. For those who don't know it's a mod of Super Smash Bros. Brawl that causes the game to be more similar to Melee while retaining a lot of Brawl's better elements, while also adding new features, characters, stages, etc. The game has been better received as a competitive title than Smash 4 and it has gained widespread popularity. Imagine some people who REALLY love and understand CE-3 get their hands on Halo 5 and were able to mod the game into having the best elements of them all, and then some. Then we could all truly say #WeBack.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I've looked into Toxikk already.

I wouldn't say it's like Halo, yet it still has my interest as I'm a fan of these kinds of shooters in general. 

It's pretty cheap so I'm probably going to buy it anyways, eagerly awaiting the beta.

Halo 4 had ProMod, but the thing about mods is they're...well...mods.  We can't put them in matchmaking, and if we try to host tournament with them no one outside of us is going to understand the settings.  We need the base game to be as similar to the competitive settings as feasible.

Game looks dope. 

"You may notice that you're moving pretty fast in toxikk, especially when  compared to modern military shooters. So, no need to press the sprint key because in toxikk, you're basically always sprinting." 

343 could learn a lot from this developer about how to design an arena shooter. 

Tbh I don't think 343 is really trying to make an arena shooter. It feels more like a buzzword they try to throw around because if you take a step back and look at real arena shooters, well, H5 doesn't have shit to do with any of that.

Game looks dope. 

http://youtu.be/ed_xu_DUEbs

"You may notice that you're moving pretty fast in toxikk, especially when  compared to modern military shooters. So, no need to press the sprint key because in toxikk, you're basically always sprinting." 

So basically like the first 3 halos.

I cringe everytime I see videos about TOXIKK. I love twitch shooters, but the "NO BULLSHIT" thing is just....

tumblr_mm4bw4oprq1qzbriqo1_500.gif?w=500

• Upvote (+1) 1

Game looks dope. 

I like everything in that video! We need them at 343!

It may sound arrogant but why is it that the extremely dedicated fans often know better than the actual developers? Look at Project M for example.

I don't think it's arrogant.

I think that's because the developers and the dedicated fans have different interests for Halo. The fans' interest is the actual quality of the game, whereas the developers' interest is financial, and arguably game quality as well.

Also, I think developers in general literally just don't love the game as much as the dedicated fans, and therefore do not care as much for how it changes.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What? Are you serious?

Halo 4 was probably one of the most visually stunning games of the Xbox 360s catalogue of games. It literally put every halo that came before it to shame graphically. You can ridicule it all you want for the gameplay, but Halo 4 was an amazing visual achievement.

Art style criticism I can understand, I didn't like the look of the Spartans etc, so if thats what you're referring to, OK. Technically though, it's one of the best titles on the xbox 360.

Halo reach had the best ambiance. Most maps were clear sunny.

Halo 4 had the worst ambiance. Most maps were dark and/or hazy. They lacked a quality of detail that reach and even h3 had. They were simply overdone.

To me there's three types of developers.

1.  Those who consider the community as a critical part of the development process.

2.  Those who are visionaries and making a product of their own personal passion, where the community is more or less just along for the ride.

3.  "We've gaht to have...monneehhhhhh"*

*All developers want money.  I'm talking about the ones who would sell their own mother for a dollar.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To me there's three types of developers.

1.  Those who consider the community as a critical part of the development process.

2.  Those who are visionaries and making a product of personal passion, where the community is more or less just along for the ride.

3.  "We've gaht to have...monneehhhhhh"

and 343 is all 3 of those combined. 

1. The beta we are having and the feedback from pros. Watch The Sprint. 

2. Again, if you didn't know this from Halo devs just watch The Sprint. It gives good insight on the type of people 343 are. 

3. And unfortunately still 343/Microsft. The push for Sprint to grab the CoD crowd for 2 secs before the next CoD comes out. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

and 343 is all 3 of those combined. 

1. The beta we are having and the feedback from pros. Watch The Sprint. 

2. Again, if you didn't know this from Halo devs just watch The Sprint. It gives good insight on they type of people 343 are.

3. And unfortunately still 343/Microsft. The push for Sprint to grab the CoD crowd for 2 secs before the next CoD comes out. 

They certainly emit qualities of each of those 3 examples at different times. The one that comes across the most to me from 343 is number 3, unfortunately. In fact, I'm sure I remember Frankie making a post on neogaf saying that ADS is just in Halo 5 to "please the CoD babbies". Does anyone else recall seeing this? I haven't been able to find it since.

I'd appreciate feedback for neg rep, I want to know what issues people have with smart scope and why of all the things that have changed in H5 it's the one people have the most issues with. 

Srsly?

Makes you wonder if they people who already had the beta installed, and now this update, are we ready for day one of the beta? That would be cool, once it releases to be ready to play vs having to downlaod another update or like most not even have it yet

Game looks dope. 

Looks Beastly

Old school shooter Mechanics are the best 

Funny that Halo practically started the modern shooter trend with regenerating health 

They certainly emit qualities of each of those 3 examples at different times. The one that comes across the most to me from 343 is number 3, unfortunately. In fact, I'm sure I remember Frankie making a post on neogaf saying that ADS is just in Halo 5 to "please the CoD babbies". Does anyone else recall seeing this? I haven't been able to find it since.

Nah man, they don't. Like @@Snipe Three said above. They use buzzwords to keep us happy, probably cos we're the most vocal group and they're afraid we might do something more productive to protest their piece of shit vision for Halo than just post on our forums that they ignore. 

• Upvote (+1) 1