CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

aeXvDT2.png?1

You're trying too hard mate.

Casuals make me vomit.

EDIT:

One thing that still sticks in my mind I learned from my advertising classes when it comes to designing something marketable:

You design something that works, not because it looks cool, not for art's sake, but for purely a good design.

The games industry has always fallen back on having great graphics, but now we're venturing into immersion, and with Halo, it isn't any longer about lets make a good balanced Halo game, instead it's how can we make a game that attracts the everyday Joe and keep him hooked long enough to buy REQ packs and future DLC. How can we make people believe they're a spartan in Halo? How much junk can we pour into the game to make those 15 year old kids beg their parents to buy them a copy of the game.

Furthermore, once they're in the game, they want the design elements to not offend them psychologically as to think the game is too hard, causing them to potentially quit. No, instead they water down the game just enough to keep the casuals engaged, and provide ample options to have a pro/competitive scene.

Not sure this is going to change anytime soon. COD 4 ruined it for everyone.

EDIT 2:

This is what I think of Microsoft's Azure ultra awesome dedicated servers:

e45c845f99a2bd9338e21bb0d4549d007d0af105

• Upvote (+1) 5

Cutting a set of weapons down from a mostly redundant sandbox of 30, to a sandbox of 10 unique weapons would be noticed.

Especially when you have people saying " Why cant we just have every Halo weapon ever be in the game?"

I'm not all the way there as far as making a sandbox with no overlap. I think we should meet somewhere in the middle personally. Have a vast sandbox, but make the weapons in said sandbox function differently from one another. And of course trim the fat where necessary.

I've posted this idea some time before H5 already: I'd say develop one starting precision weapon and one starting automatic for the next Halo that works perfectly within a classic utility-weapon halo game but instead of toeing it to a specific pistol/BR/whatsoever model, they should give players the opportunity to choose what their starting utility weapon should look like: HCE pistol, H2 pistol, H5 pistol, DMR, BR(yes it wouldn't be a burst fire but the model would be the same) or whatever extended universe weapon 343 can come up with on top of that they could add one additional weapon that functions in a unique way as a map pick up (CC with high rof; PR with stun)

This way people could have a diverse weapon selection but we don't have to settle for a sandbox filled with redundant weapons!

People can choose what version of which weapon they like best (the end to the whole H2BR vs. H5BR debate) and 343 can make a shitload of money if they not just create new skins but new models as well

That's my thread. I'm almost glad that comment has so many likes.

It's a validation that a giant portion of that communities opinion shouldn't matter.

but that's mean.

• Upvote (+1) 1

and the truth.

But then we might have to deal with the ugly idea that maybe listening to the casual players without much idea of how Halo worked maybe wasn't the best idea.

Nah, it's mean.

It's a validation that a giant portion of that communities opinion shouldn't matter.

I wouldn't take one guy's comment, and 100 likes on that comment (Which could be done in other contexts and overall, aren't a lot in terms of number nonetheless) as validation to that point at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I wouldn't take one guy's comment, and 100 likes on that comment (Which could be done in other contexts and overall, aren't a lot in terms of number nonetheless) as validation to that point at all.

I didn't say the whole community. Or a majority of the community. Just a large portion.

I didn't say the whole community. Or a majority of the community. Just a large portion.

But that comment doesn't begin to represent even a "large portion" of the casual community. It's still an insanely small number. Minute.

Edit: In addition, it's narrow and childish to go "I don't like this, your opinion doesn't matter". Really much so.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I dislike opinions from a lot of places just as much as the next guy but to say they shouldn't matter? That's just a poor way to get your argument through.

"I don't like your opinion so I don't think it should be looked at by the developers. Next!"

• Upvote (+1) 3

First time playing tyrant, and it's a gigantic piece of shit. The layout and the many ways to fall off are just mind boggling

Yea it's doodoo

I wouldn't call P2P doodoo. I mean, it's the thing that allows me to play campaigns on older Halos and the MCC when dedicated servers have issues working.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I dislike opinions from a lot of places just as much as the next guy but to say they shouldn't matter? That's just a poor way to get your argument through.

"I don't like your opinion so I don't think it should be looked at by the developers. Next!"

That wasn't the point at all. The post that so many people liked was one that basically ignored the original post and just said "who's going to read all that?"

It wasn't that they had an opinion I disagreed with. I'm all for opinions and people sharing them.

What I meant was that there's a large portion of that community that is dismissive of opinions and won't even take the time to hear one out. Rather they choose to be ignorant of it.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I wouldn't call P2P doodoo. I mean, it's the thing that allows me to play campaigns on older Halos and the MCC when dedicated servers have issues working.

It's nice when it works

It sucks when it doesn't

You can have dedi's and play offline, 343 just decided it was smart to run everything online :P

It's nice when it works

It sucks when it doesn't

You can have dedi's and play offline, 343 just decided it was smart to run everything online :P

It sucks when it doesn't, sure. Know that by lag, but I'd much rather have lag, than not be able to play for 5-6 hours at all.

Your opinion on gameplay DOES NOT MATTER when it involves immersion or "feeling like a Spartan".
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Your opinion on gameplay DOES NOT MATTER when it involves immersion or "feeling like a Spartan".

I disagree. Immersion and gameplay can go well together if done right. 

• Upvote (+1) 1