CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

In my opinion Ring and Base in Sactuary are some of the best structure designs in Halo's history. I love playing on them and by extension think Sanctuary is a good map.

How would I feel if the Bases and Ring were used in 2 other maps as well as all DLC maps. Different overall layouts, different aesthetic, different weapons, different sizes, but they all contained two Bases and Ring.

That would be shitful. People would get bored of it and bungie would get hoards of fans calling them out for reusing the same shit when designing maps. It gets in the way of a varied experience, and shows either a huge lack of effort or a huge lack of creativity.

You're an ex employee. You need to take away the faces and personalities behind the game and look at something as is and stop trying to talk down people with very valid complaints, regardless of how they effect your experience or what you think of the people behind it.

I'll get some "apologist" or "shill" response because of this, but I honestly don't think the two scenarios are nearly that similar. In Arena layout of the map and its flow are determined solely by the geography and the weapon placement, but in Warzone that isn't the case. You're dealing with much larger play spaces and experiences that aren't determined solely by the geography and weapons, but by enemy AI, which capture points are under control, and user determined weapon sandbox.

Reusing the armories, garage, etc. does have an impact on the game, but not nearly to the degree of your example. Now, the people behind these decisions come into play because if you look at what 343 has been doing with the Warzone maps, it's very obvious they aren't trying to create as much diversity as possible. I've provided various examples of why I think this and can again if you'd like. The only reason I even brought that relationship up was to convey the idea that I'm nearly positive you'll see this problem tackled in the future, but doing so takes far more effort than most people think.

In terms of "talking down" to people - it's hard not to when I try to have a discussion and everything I say gets immediately shut down and disregarded because of my relationship with 343. Of course I'm going to develop a tone like that when interacting with people who refer to anything I say as "apologist" or "excuses".

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Playing BO3 I'm reminded how incredibly stupid 343 is for banning you for leaving a social game even though it's unranked and has JIP.

Also I don't know why they think multi-team should be on BTB maps.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yup, as I expected... not even considering any of the content of my post. Instantly disregarded.

It's really lame to have been a part of a community for so long and now feel like you're an outsider.

Yup, as I expected... not even considering any of the content of my post. Instantly disregarded.

It's really lame to have been a part of a community for so long and now feel like you're an outsider.

calm down, just cause 2-3 people disagree with your statement you now feel like an outsider?

:wutface:

lol @ people only showing as online in the company tab if they're already on your friends list

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, I love Skirmish at Darkstar. Just sucks that the one game I was able to play on it was filled with spawn-killers and farmers, so I couldn't even get out of my base to check OUT the map entirely. Very frustrating on a day that should be enjoyable and relaxing. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

calm down, just cause 2-3 people disagree with your statement you now feel like an outsider?

:wutface:

No, it has nothing to do with people disagreeing with me, it's the fact that my opinions will probably always be viewed as painted by my time at 343. Nothing about how I post has changed going all the way back to the MLG forums. Meh, I don't know.

No, it has nothing to do with people disagreeing with me, it's the fact that my opinions will probably always be viewed as painted by my time at 343.

Stop making the central pillar of each of your posts about how your past position at 343 makes you 100% correct on all topics then.

Nobody cares what goes on at 343. We only care about the game.

• Downvote (-1) 5

Wow, the increased speed of the REQ menu is almost instant now. It's a night and day difference to what it used to be. I'm liking the new WZ map so far, but it will probably take some getting used to with all the pathways.

I know there was multi-team on Ragnarok in H4, but I can't remember if it was on any other BTB maps though. I think it kind of makes everybody spread out too much and there are arena maps that it could work on instead. On the plus side, this will probably be the only time we get pistol starts on BTB maps which I know some people wanted.

No, it has nothing to do with people disagreeing with me, it's the fact that my opinions will probably always be viewed as painted by my time at 343. Nothing about how I post has changed going all the way back to the MLG forums. Meh, I don't know.

correct

also doesn't help when you call peoples complaints petty (aka being a white knight)

Playing BO3 I'm reminded how incredibly stupid 343 is for banning you for leaving a social game even though it's unranked and has JIP.

12 Players on Regret no thanks

Stop making the central pillar of each of your posts about how your past position at 343 makes you 100% correct on all topics then.

Nobody cares what goes on at 343. We only care about the game.

I haven't intended to do this, I've tried to convey thought processes and perspective that is hard to obtain without developer experience.

Not for some sense of self importance or to inflate my ego, but honestly, with the hope of allowing the community to develop more realistic criticism and feedback to help improve Halo.

correct

also doesn't help when you call peoples complaints petty (aka being a white knight)

Ah, the old Team Beyond double standard. I know her well.

I would consider moaning about reuse of Warzone assets a petty complaint in comparison to overpowered autos, no risk Spartan Charge, lack of matchmaking search options, and Warzone farming... but hey, that's just like, my opinion man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

12 Players on Regret no thanks

Or they could just do 8 on normal maps instead of going with nonstandard numbers of players, for which none of the maps have been designed, every single time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wish I could play some Halo 5 but 8 gigs is a little too much to try to download. I'll have to wait until tonight.

Also people already are spawn camping Skirmish? Just wow.

If making Multi-Team 2v2v2v2 is what it takes to get Arena maps in there, I'll take it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I know there was multi-team on Ragnarok in H4, but I can't remember if it was on any other BTB maps though. I think it kind of makes everybody spread out too much and there are arena maps that it could work on instead. On the plus side, this will probably be the only time we get pistol starts on BTB maps which I know some people wanted.

I was thinking this, bar a few obvious maps. Regret's small, Truth's iffy, and Empire/Eden are the same too, but you could squeeze them in. Plaza, Riptide, Rig, Coliseum, Fathom and Torque would probably play well. I find the BTB maps to be terrible for it. Too spread out. At least, with Arena maps, you'd be enclosed for maximum carnage.

I haven't intended to do this, I've tried to convey thought processes and perspective that is hard to obtain without developer experience.

Not for some sense of self importance or to inflate my ego, but honestly, with the hope of allowing the community to develop more realistic criticism and feedback to help improve Halo.

Which is cool, I guess. Unfortunately it's just boiled down to you trying to use your experience as a trump card to bully people out of debates.

Which is cool, I guess. Unfortunately it's just boiled down to you trying to use your experience as a trump card to bully people out of debates.

Nah.