CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

They should really design some better maps for competitive play and FFA.

As a person who really loved FFA, it saddens me that this game is in this state. They need an FFA map with no power weapons, symmetrical, and not completely obtuse (a certain cornerstone FFA map comes to mind, but unfortunately it doesn't work in this game). The biggest problem with these maps is that they're just too big. On top of being big, they're riddled with power weapons and extremely strong autos. It's just too chaotic and frustrating. 

FFA under 343's care has so much working against it. Low RP payouts, poorly designed maps, overly long respawn times for a generally chaotic gametype, OP automatic weapons everywhere, anything but 1st counts as a loss on your record. All of this on top of the fact that FFA is inherently a very sweaty gametype.

They just need to give people a reason to play. Make the respawns faster so you aren't as frustrated by unlucky deaths. Make 1st-3rd count as a win. Make FFA variants of maps with the problem spawn points moved or deleted and custom weapon layouts that are tailored for FFA. Some very simple tweaking would go a very long way.

There's only enough room for one shill 'round these parts. I don't think I can let someone with better apologist credentials claim my throne.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm not disagreeing with you, I agree with your points in principle. The biggest question is what kind of resources would that require in relation to the approach being taken now and what kind of impact does that have on the development timeline? Since we don't have that information it's pretty hard to say whether they made the right decision or not.

This is where my "apologist" and "shill" titles come into play - I know those guys and trust their expertise. So I trust they went with this approach for the right reasons.

Sure, all I'm going on is what I perceive on the player side of things. I know they want to do the absolute best with with what's in front of them, I'm just arguing for what I think should take priority in future content if it's possible. Totally get where you're coming from.

It can be a tough pill though, to trust that the devs are always making the right call, especially given their track record. Sometimes the other fork in the road would've been the better one, which is important to point out for future content and titles. Different choices during the development of Halo 5 would've led to a game that I know I'd be enjoying more than the one that ended up getting made. All I can do is advocate for a different direction in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 1

FFA under 343's care has so much working against it. Low RP payouts, poorly designed maps, overly long respawn times for a generally chaotic gametype, OP automatic weapons everywhere, anything but 1st counts as a loss on your record. All of this on top of the fact that FFA is inherently a very sweaty gametype.

They just need to give people a reason to play. Make the respawns faster so you aren't as frustrated by unlucky deaths. Make 1st-3rd count as a win. Make FFA variants of maps with the problem spawn points moved or deleted and custom weapon layouts that are tailored for FFA. Some very simple tweaking would go a very long way.

The 8 second respawn thing has always been stupid in my opinion. 8 Second spawns in a slayer game is entirely too long and in objective it's just too short. It needs to be five seconds for slayer, 10 seconds for objective it just plays better and just yet, another change for the sake of change. 

I think a lot of the problems with this game will filter down if these maps were designed better. Maps like Empire and Regret become Storm Rifle heaven because of the insane amount of cover you get around that map. Take a map like Midship from Halo 2 for example, you can't do that because you can practically die in just a few seconds from across the map with viable utility weapons. Whereas in Halo 5, you have terrible lines of sight, corridor based movement, and a radar that allows you to play as passive as possible. Now while radar is more of a competitive issue, the map issue is something that needs to be addressed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

933-450.

Camo and FRD. Sneak into enemies core and blow it up. Enemy time screaming at some guy who failed to kill me, losing their shit.

Palmer would be proud.

• Upvote (+1) 1

it really is annoying that you cant sell all of your reqs at one time. a sell all button is common sense

There is a chrome extension you can use to do this

I agree. Unfortunately, it really seems like the chances of them doing anything with it are pretty slim. What have they done to optimize the playlist at all aside from switching it to 6 man to slightly cover up all of the major problems that are still there?

I agree. Unfortunately, it really seems like the chances of them doing anything with it are pretty slim. What have they done to optimize the playlist at all aside from switching it to 6 man to slightly cover up all of the major problems that are still there?

Other than that, nothing that I know of. Some map tweaks, but those were made for 4v4 and blanket pushed to everything, had nothing to do with improving FFA specifically so I don't count them.

Same thing happened to Rumble Pit in the MCC. Bad settings leads to a low playlist population, leads to 343 doing nothing to improve the list because it won't impact enough of the playerbase. They haven't figured out that FFA needs more than just teams turned off in the settings to play well apparently. Or if they have, they've chosen not to act on that knowledge for whatever reason.

Man lol... I'm literally so god damn infuriated right now playing this game, I absolutely am starting to truly despise this matchmaking system. Playing alone is just like asking for aneurysm haha. Now mind you I'm just playing SWAT so I can get placed in Onyx, but good fucking lord I'm sooooo tired of matching Teams of Champ 2, 70, 35 and Onyx 1708 when I have two unranked (me included) and two diamonds on my team, when im playing solo.

I shouldn't be matching these teams of four who know how to spawn trap on fucking Pegasus when I have morons on my team who don't know how to leave that damn corner room. I literally walked outside, killed three people, got shot in my back, respawned, just to see my three teammates still crouching in this room.

That being said, won 5 out of 10 games and still got 1700 Onyx. Smh... Literally getting 20+ kills a game, less than 10 deaths, and losing by like 3 against super try-hard champ teams piss me off so much lol. I don't think I've ever lost in a Halo game as much as I lose in this game playing alone. Not even trying to brag, but its just mind boggling to me how I can practically never win alone unless I get all the kills and do all the objective and keep my teammates alive.

/rage. Back to our regular scheduled DeucEy.

They should really design some better maps for competitive play and FFA.

As a person who really loved FFA, it saddens me that this game is in this state. They need an FFA map with no power weapons, symmetrical, and not completely obtuse (a certain cornerstone FFA map comes to mind, but unfortunately it doesn't work in this game). The biggest problem with these maps is that they're just too big. On top of being big, they're riddled with power weapons and extremely strong autos. It's just too chaotic and frustrating.

If it makes you feel any better...the way Halo 5's ELO system is set up...you lose/gain the same CSR no matter who you face. Oh wait, that's not an ELO system.

What other devs release free monthly content updates of this size? Especially AAA devs - let alone on a console?

Getting gametypes & emblems from the past is pretty dope content  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 5

and yet I think it's the most fun I've had with Halo since Halo 2 so I don't give a fuck what metacritic says. I like what 343 is doing with the game, how they interact with the community, and are willing to listen to it. I don't need some fuck wad who reviews 50+ games a year to tell me how I should feel about a title.

Not to mention... this list, by which you base all your "popularity" claims... doesn't even provide metrics to clarify how they calculate the "Most Popular".

pgiBGpL.jpg

I don't get how people shit on all the "popular" titles like Call of Duty and Destiny, shit on all the people that play them, then base Halo's value on how many of those people are playing it.

It's all well and good that you enjoy h5 but the way you discredit the issues anyone has with the game is just ridiculous. You're like the Ying to Brad pitt's yang.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hello Beyond!

Some of you may know me from some of my youtube content, or maybe just as " that guy who hates everything".

Considering this community was a huge reason my channel got to where it is thanks in large part to you all sharing my content and giving feedback, I thought I'd come here and ask you all for some advice that could have ramifications on the imminent future of my channel.

It concerns the financial aspect.

I'm 21 years old. I have very little time to work on new content, and at this point in my life I need to allocate my resources to securing a future and making sure I will be financially stable moving forward.

Due to the type of content I create, it takes me a very long time to make even a single video. And although I'm proud of my 4k sub count, for obvious reasons its not enough to bring in hardly anything per month.

And I cant stress this enough, I AM 100% OK WITH THIS. I am not upset that youtube doesn't make me money because I do this because I love it! I love the discussions and interacting with the community and just the inherent satisfaction I get when I post a new video. I get a deep sense of satisfaction when it gets shared, or when I see it being talked about, and although it took me 6 months for youtube to bring in a half weeks check worth of income ( basically nothing). It was probably the single most satisfying thing I'd ever done in my entire life. Because for the first time ever I made money doing something I love.

The thing is is I want to keep making videos. I want to spend the 8 hours it takes to write a script. And I want to continue checking my phone every 5 minutes so I can read every single one of your comments and engage with you guys.

And I want to make it clear that I will still, regardless of the money situation, continue to do all I can if time allows. But at this point, Youtube brings in virtually nothing. And when you have obligations and responsibilities, you cant sit on your computer for 8 hours everyday playing videogames and writing YT videos.

So I need YT to start giving back a little. Not at the level of a full time job. Or even a part time job. Just a little something to where every month I can look at it and go, " my time didnt go completely unaccounted for" and I can feel a little more comfortable devoting my time to the kind of content I want to make.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it is. But I'm someone that just REALLY REALLY REALLY HATES asking for money. Or not even that, just making money off of something that should ultimately be about passion.

With that being said. Would anyone object to me possibly doing fan funding on my channel? I recently just enabled it, but I haven't even announced or made it known that its a thing yet.

I think its probably to early for something like Patreon, and to simply "release more content per week" isn't going to happen because I refuse to just pump out videos unless It's something I'm proud of, and I won't be able to do that if I try to go for quantity and not quality. P.S. you may still think I'm shit.

So what are your guys thoughts going forward?

Should I just keep trucking through and do what I'm doing? Or should I possibly start accepting donations?

It's important I get this right.

Dude. Just fuck bitches get money. On a more serious note I personally wouldn't mind. Although I couldn't help fund cause I have to pay tons of bills with little to no money in my paycheck.

Hello Beyond!

Some of you may know me from some of my youtube content, or maybe just as " that guy who hates everything".

Considering this community was a huge reason my channel got to where it is thanks in large part to you all sharing my content and giving feedback, I thought I'd come here and ask you all for some advice that could have ramifications on the imminent future of my channel.

It concerns the financial aspect.

I'm 21 years old. I have very little time to work on new content, and at this point in my life I need to allocate my resources to securing a future and making sure I will be financially stable moving forward.

Due to the type of content I create, it takes me a very long time to make even a single video. And although I'm proud of my 4k sub count, for obvious reasons its not enough to bring in hardly anything per month.

And I cant stress this enough, I AM 100% OK WITH THIS. I am not upset that youtube doesn't make me money because I do this because I love it! I love the discussions and interacting with the community and just the inherent satisfaction I get when I post a new video. I get a deep sense of satisfaction when it gets shared, or when I see it being talked about, and although it took me 6 months for youtube to bring in a half weeks check worth of income ( basically nothing). It was probably the single most satisfying thing I'd ever done in my entire life. Because for the first time ever I made money doing something I love.

The thing is is I want to keep making videos. I want to spend the 8 hours it takes to write a script. And I want to continue checking my phone every 5 minutes so I can read every single one of your comments and engage with you guys.

And I want to make it clear that I will still, regardless of the money situation, continue to do all I can if time allows. But at this point, Youtube brings in virtually nothing. And when you have obligations and responsibilities, you cant sit on your computer for 8 hours everyday playing videogames and writing YT videos.

So I need YT to start giving back a little. Not at the level of a full time job. Or even a part time job. Just a little something to where every month I can look at it and go, " my time didnt go completely unaccounted for" and I can feel a little more comfortable devoting my time to the kind of content I want to make.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it is. But I'm someone that just REALLY REALLY REALLY HATES asking for money. Or not even that, just making money off of something that should ultimately be about passion.

With that being said. Would anyone object to me possibly doing fan funding on my channel? I recently just enabled it, but I haven't even announced or made it known that its a thing yet.

I think its probably to early for something like Patreon, and to simply "release more content per week" isn't going to happen because I refuse to just pump out videos unless It's something I'm proud of, and I won't be able to do that if I try to go for quantity and not quality. P.S. you may still think I'm shit.

So what are your guys thoughts going forward?

Should I just keep trucking through and do what I'm doing? Or should I possibly start accepting donations?

It's important I get this right.

I think if you go this route you should offer an incentive to donate, like q&a's or something like that, but you'd also need to expand your channels repertoire, maybe include other things on your channel that you enjoy that's relevant, to expand your audience.

The thing about YouTube is that many people end up quitting their day jobs to focus entirely on YouTube, because putting 100% of your effort into that could potentially yield much greater results, than if you were putting 50% into YouTube and 50% into your other job, so my understanding is that it's difficult to try to make money on YouTube as a side project, probably not impossible, but certainly a difficult task giving that most people on youtube aren't going to watch a channel that doesn't have the commitment that another might have.

That said, you should still do what you want to do, you shouldn't be forced into turning your channel into something you dont want to make money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has 343 mentioned anything about adding more permanent games modes and play lists? Especially for BTB, which still  has only 3 as far as I know, could be wrong. But the last time I played all I got was Slayer, Strongholds and CTF. I would love to play other Objective game modes, especially in BTB. I figure BTB Heavies will probably never be added and it's looking like all the maps will be Forged for BTB?