CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

For anybody with an elite controller, did they change something? I swear my aim is different. 

Also My internet has been horrible since March 23rd and mediacom is telling me it's going to be at least another 2 weeks for them to get these special parts ordered and installed. FML. Hope Halo 5 is great for you. I really hate playing when I'm lagging so bad. It's not lag comp, it's skipping rubber banding lag :(

Man lol... I'm literally so god damn infuriated right now playing this game, I absolutely am starting to truly despise this matchmaking system. Playing alone is just like asking for aneurysm haha. Now mind you I'm just playing SWAT so I can get placed in Onyx, but good fucking lord I'm sooooo tired of matching Teams of Champ 2, 70, 35 and Onyx 1708 when I have two unranked (me included) and two diamonds on my team, when im playing solo.

I shouldn't be matching these teams of four who know how to spawn trap on fucking Pegasus when I have morons on my team who don't know how to leave that damn corner room. I literally walked outside, killed three people, got shot in my back, respawned, just to see my three teammates still crouching in this room.

That being said, won 5 out of 10 games and still got 1700 Onyx. Smh... Literally getting 20+ kills a game, less than 10 deaths, and losing by like 3 against super try-hard champ teams piss me off so much lol. I don't think I've ever lost in a Halo game as much as I lose in this game playing alone. Not even trying to brag, but its just mind boggling to me how I can practically never win alone unless I get all the kills and do all the objective and keep my teammates alive.

/rage. Back to our regular scheduled DeucEy.

They should really design some better maps for competitive play and FFA.

As a person who really loved FFA, it saddens me that this game is in this state. They need an FFA map with no power weapons, symmetrical, and not completely obtuse (a certain cornerstone FFA map comes to mind, but unfortunately it doesn't work in this game). The biggest problem with these maps is that they're just too big. On top of being big, they're riddled with power weapons and extremely strong autos. It's just too chaotic and frustrating. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Ah yes, I'm quite fond of the delicate and clever use of pre-built constructions and rearranging them in just the right way to make maps like Overgrowth and Riptide. Oh, let's not forgot the completely reasonable weapon set they originally started with that they unfortunately had to change because of happy little messages in their feedback.

Simply amazing work. 

If you are referring to Overgrowth... fair play. If you are referring to Riptide...

To be honest Riptide was better with the Fuel Rod. The narrow Orange and Blue hallways were extremely gimmicky and the fast RoF/large ammo count didn't help that but with its removal, the Blue Side is just completely broken and lopsided, and that is a problem.

I preferred the clustered mess that was Fuel Rodtide rather than the current version. That one had decent flow at the least.

Ah yes, I'm quite fond of the delicate and clever use of pre-built constructions and rearranging them in just the right way to make maps like Overgrowth and Riptide. Oh, let's not forgot the completely reasonable weapon set they originally started with that they unfortunately had to change because of happy little messages in their feedback.

Simply amazing work. 

1) We're talking about Warzone bases at the moment.

2) I'll take the bait and say at least 343 is willing to change things based on feedback. I'd rather them be wrong and fix it than stick to their guns no matter what.

Whats wrong with re-using assets? That is NOT the problem.

The problem is they are unable to use those asses to make maps that flow well.

Uh, no. It is a problem. Playing in the same play spaces over and over and over again makes warzone boring as fuck.

Oh cool a new map. Let's go blow up the core in the exact same fucking building. Wooooooooo

Uh, no. It is a problem. Playing in the sane play spaces over and over and over again makes warzone boring as fuck.

Yet again, a large majority of the game is played outside of these spaces... obviously this applies less in Warzone Assault, but outside of defending the Garage/Fortress, the same applies.

I can't wait till the API Hackathon results in some heat map data. <3

I mean, it doesn't impact the game in any way but artistically, which in the end, is subjective. I (personally) don't care if the maps re-use assets. Especially in the way a map like Plaza and Overgrowth do, how Coliseum and Tyrant do, or any remix for that matter, where the maps play entirely differently despite sharing visual similarities. So, I'm just curious; why's it so unacceptable to you?

I'm talking warzone. Though even in Arena the remixed maps have all been utter ass so that's not working out either ( though I'm not convinced a remix has to be shitty or that being a remix is why those maps are shitty).

In Warzone, playing in the same exact buildings gets very stale.

In Warzone, playing in the same exact buildings gets very stale.

You should try moving from that corner in the garage you keep your back to. :kappa:

Luckily it's only the vocal minority that think reusing assets in such a manner actually results in a sub par product.

And you know this how lol?

The vocal minority card gets pulled way too often for a game that can't Crack the the xbl top 10 activity chart. News flash, the vocal minority are the people still playing and enjoying the game. The silent majority are gone. I would assume some of that has to do with the game funneling them into a playlist with three maps that all generally feel and play the exact same.

Oh wait, there's a 4th map. That feels and plays the exact same because it reuses the same exact 3 buildings as the other maps.

The vocal minority card gets pulled way too often for a game that can't Crack the the xbl top 10 activity chart. News flash, the vocal minority are the people still playing and enjoying the game. The silent majority are gone. I would assume some of that has to do with the game funneling them into a playlist with three maps that all generally feel and play the exact same.

No, the silent majority actually play and enjoy the game, not go and complain about minuscule issues that are being improved upon and eventually resolved.

Keep doing you though champ.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Yeah, from yard. The only way I have managed to do it is by jump, stabilize, and go crazy with crouch. Doesn't feel or look right to me.

Sprint > Jump + Stabilize, Crouch 2-3 times > Clamber

While you're sprint jumping UP, you want to stabilize while you're going up because of the physics or w/e in this game. If you're already going upwards when you stabilize you will go higher and Sprint helps a bit more with that as you jump farther with Sprint. You can also bum jump which is the quickest route

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, the silent majority actually play and enjoy the game, not go and complain about minuscule issues that are being improved upon and eventually resolved.

Keep doing you though champ.

No. The vast majority of people who bought h5 no longer play it.

I get that you had a hand in H5 but face reality dude. The game is an 84 on metacritic (lowest in halo history including the broken MCC), it's population plummeted and it's sales fell off a cliff faster than batman v superman ticket sales. Stop being an apologist. It won't help.

No. The vast majority of people who bought h5 no longer play it.

I get that you had a hand in H5 but face reality dude. The game is an 84 on metacritic (lowest in halo history including the broken MCC), it's population plummeted and it's sales fell off a cliff faster than batman v superman ticket sales. Stop being an apologist. It won't help.

and yet I think it's the most fun I've had with Halo since Halo 2 so I don't give a fuck what metacritic says. I like what 343 is doing with the game, how they interact with the community, and are willing to listen to it. I don't need some fuck wad who reviews 50+ games a year to tell me how I should feel about a title.

Not to mention... this list, by which you base all your "popularity" claims... doesn't even provide metrics to clarify how they calculate the "Most Popular".

pgiBGpL.jpg

I don't get how people shit on all the "popular" titles like Call of Duty and Destiny, shit on all the people that play them, then base Halo's value on how many of those people are playing it.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't get how people shit on all the "popular" titles like Call of Duty and Destiny, shit on all the people that play them, then base Halo's value on how many of those people are playing it.

I've thought of this before as well, I mean do we want halo to have those fan bases? I'd prefer it be a well respected niche title, getting back to halos old glory is both impossible and an overrated idea.

Oh wait, there's a 4th map. That feels and plays the exact same because it reuses the same exact 3 buildings as the other maps.

I'm not even a particularly big fan of Warzone and don't really play it anymore, but to say that all of the maps feel and play the same is more than a bit ridiculous and it certainly wouldn't be based on reusing a couple of structures. The bases make up a very small portion of the map, the layouts of the maps are significantly different, and pretty much every map has a different central structure. Spire, Fortress, Garage, Monument (did you forget that one?). The action around the two garages in Noctus is very different from the action around the single Garage on ARC. The same can be said of the Armories. ARC versus Stormbreak? Not at all the same. I mean, it's not as if you're spending all of the game fighting inside them. The significant differences in their surroundings changes the flow of the engagement significantly.

Warzone Assault is a different matter, obviously.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So if I have my Xbox set to instant on will it automatically download the update even if it's turned off..?

Should do it during peak time.

I'm not even a particularly big fan of Warzone and don't really play it anymore, but to say that all of the maps feel and play the same is more than a bit ridiculous and it certainly wouldn't be based on reusing a couple of structures. The bases make up a very small portion of the map, the layouts of the maps are significantly different, and pretty much every map has a different central structure. Spire, Fortress, Garage, Monument (did you forget that one?). The action around the two garages in Noctus is very different from the action around the single Garage on ARC. The same can be said of the Armories. ARC versus Stormbreak? Not at all the same. I mean, it's not as if you're spending all of the game fighting inside them. The significant differences in their surroundings changes the flow of the engagement significantly.

Warzone Assault is a different matter, obviously.

And the engagements that DO take place in the Armories/Garages are extremely well designed (entrances/exits/cover).

Solid post.

The scale is relative though. You're dealing with play spaces that are much more full and complex than just an empty arena for PvP play.

Sure, but I'd still contend that the size of the spaces we're seeing get the copy-paste treatment is too large. Re-using a vehicle spawn area like we see on the lower floor of the Fortress is a good way to go about it. Having every single core in the game surrounded by identical architecture, not so much.

When you get those heatmaps, you'll see what I'm talking about. These bases serve as spawn locations and persistent objectives, of course they're going to see heavy gameplay.

All I'm saying is I think they should've made unique bases a higher priority when developing new Warzone maps. Different bases could really change the tactics people use to attack and defend these central areas, significantly more so than just changes to the surrounding topography.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sure, but I'd still contend that the size of the spaces we're seeing get the copy-paste treatment is too large. Re-using a vehicle spawn area like we see on the lower floor of the Fortress is a good way to go about it. Having every single core in the game surrounded by identical architecture, not so much.

When you get those heatmaps, you'll see what I'm talking about. These bases serve as spawn locations and persistent objectives, of course they're going to see heavy gameplay.

All I'm saying is I think they should've made unique bases a higher priority when developing new Warzone maps. Different bases could really change the tactics people use to attack and defend these central areas, significantly more so than just changes to the surrounding topography.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I agree with your points in principle. The biggest question is what kind of resources would that require in relation to the approach being taken now and what kind of impact does that have on the development timeline? Since we don't have that information it's pretty hard to say whether they made the right decision or not.

This is where my "apologist" and "shill" titles come into play - I know those guys and trust their expertise. So I trust they went with this approach for the right reasons.

• Upvote (+1) 3