CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think people just expect that same from new Warzone maps as they do from new multiplayer maps in general. If something is getting in the way building new geometry, maybe priorities need to be adjusted. I'd personally rather have new bases to play in over the handful of AI that last for a minute within the game space before getting melted.

I understand that there are reasons, but that shouldn't stop us from recognizing that this constant re-use of assets is far from optimal. They put all this work into the assets required for a new map, and then put a ceiling on its potential by copy-pasting the same core structures that see the majority of the gameplay.

I would disagree with what I see as the core premise of your argument: that they see the majority of the gamplay. I would argue that the areas surrounding each base/structure where a majority of the gameplay takes place and that not only have additional structures been created and added (see: new GoM Warzone maps), but Darkstar will play completely differently because of the geometry additions to these bases seen in the stream today.

That being said, I fully expect 343 to do something about this in the future.

Overrated as hell, to me.

Always reminds me of CoD Ghosts. And scratching the reflective coating from your visor is the most ludicrously impractical thing for a Spartan to do.

They couldn't forsee that using the same bases in every warzone map they ever create was going to be an issue?

That's pretty much the definition of painting yourself into a corner.

No, I simply think you have no understanding of the kind of timelines game developers deal with. The issue could have been recognized months ago. Hell, it even seems like it has - look at Darkstar. Additional geo placed to change how the battle space flows.

Generally when trying to implement any tech solution (or solution at all really, but tech is what I'm familiar with) over the long term you need to identify the problem, implemented minimum temporary fix/improvement/solution, develop long term fix, then implement.

Every Arena map should just have two Midship bases but different stuff in the middle... 

Saying they can't create original bases for each Warzone map because of all the reasons listed in just flat out unacceptable to me, especially when they have so few maps in the first place. What other game/dev would do that and actually get away with it? Lazy or incompetent? Choose one, or in this case "both" is acceptable answer. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Every Arena map should just have two Midship bases but different stuff in the middle... 

Saying they can't create original bases for each Warzone map because of all the reasons listed in just flat out unacceptable to me, especially when they have so few maps in the first place. What other game/dev would do that and actually get away with it? Lazy or incompetent? Choose one, or in this case "both" is acceptable answer. 

I'm saying they probably weighed their options and said it was the best way to save resources for the short term and keep up with the development time frame they wanted.

But you know... there's not a Spire, Monument, Fortress, Garage, or additional structures as seen on Darkstar to create diversity. You're right - those are simply the same two bases with "different stuff in the middle."

I'm saying they probably weighed their options and said it was the best way to save resources for the short term and keep up with the development time frame they wanted.

But you know... there's not a Spire, Monument, Fortress, Garage, or additional structures as seen on Darkstar to create diversity. You're right - those are simply the same two bases with "different stuff in the middle."

What other devs cuts that many corners? Especially AAA devs? 

What other devs cuts that many corners? Especially AAA devs? 

What other devs release free monthly content updates of this size? Especially AAA devs - let alone on a console?

• Downvote (-1) 4

What other devs release free monthly content updates of this size? Especially AAA devs - let alone on a console?

I mean one content update was just forged BTB maps despite 343 saying BTB had its own unique maps and was thought of while developing the game, which is good but thats something people expect out of their Halo's at launch

I appreciate the free updates and think this is the best model for Halo going forward, but the quality of them has been lacking severely imo (except Forge, that was the right decision to delay it for how powerful it is)

• Upvote (+1) 7

Well 343 have only one platform, and their publisher is the owner of that platform.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would disagree with what I see as the core premise of your argument: that they see the majority of the gamplay. I would argue that the areas surrounding each base/structure where a majority of the gameplay takes place and that not only have additional structures been created and added (see: new GoM Warzone maps), but Darkstar will play completely differently because of the geometry additions to these bases seen in the stream today.

That being said, I fully expect 343 to do something about this in the future.

I think in Warzone Assault the armories and core definitely see the majority of the gameplay, and it definitely creates repetitive gameplay. Think of how often the core is taken down by Fuel Rods. Imagine a new core structure that encouraged the use of different tactics and weapons.

This is somewhat mitigated by the additional objectives in regular Warzone, and credit where it's due, 343 have found ways to inject variety into the repeated use of structures, but there is no denying that sessions would take far longer to feel monotonous if each map had its own unique bases.

Anyway you're right, I'm sure they know this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

These updates are worthless, all we get are things should be there since October and a bunch of ugly armors and weapons we sell to get the ugly armors lol, i'm playing Blade and Soul at the moment and we are getting new content every month, things such as new classes, new dungeons, even new areas the size of the whole halo campaign.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No, I simply think you have no understanding of the kind of timelines game developers deal with. The issue could have been recognized months ago. Hell, it even seems like it has - look at Darkstar. Additional geo placed to change how the battle space flows.

Generally when trying to implement any tech solution (or solution at all really, but tech is what I'm familiar with) over the long term you need to identify the problem, implemented minimum temporary fix/improvement/solution, develop long term fix, then implement.

Man, you are ways full of excuses. People make dumb decisions and excerise poor time and resource management skills all the time. On this particular topic people at 343 made dumb decisions and used their time/resources in an ineffective manner. Don't know why you're always trying to shift the blame to the community.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think in Warzone Assault the armories and core definitely see the majority of the gameplay, and it definitely creates repetitive gameplay. Think of how often the core is taken down by Fuel Rods. Imagine a new core structure that encouraged the use of different tactics and weapons.

This is somewhat mitigated by the additional objectives in regular Warzone, and credit where it's due, 343 have found ways to inject variety into the repeated use of structures, but there is no denying that sessions would take far longer to feel monotonous if each map had its own unique bases.

Anyway you're right, I'm sure they know this.

So would you say defending the Armory on Apex 7 is the same experience as defending the Armory on now mia Urban? Of course they aren't, because the largest factor in  regards to game flow is the geo and space around the Armory, not the structure itself. I understand where you're coming from, but I also don't think it's nearly as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.

Man, you are ways full of excuses. People make dumb decisions and excerise poor time and resource management skills all the time. On this particular topic people at 343 made dumb decisions and used their time/resources in an ineffective manner. Don't know why you're always trying to shift the blame to the community.

How have I blamed anyone in the community for this?

I love how you act like you KNOW exactly what was done and why.

So would you say defending the Armory on Apex 7 is the same experience as defending the Armory on now mia Urban? Of course they aren't, because the largest player in game flow is the geo and space around the Armory, not the structure itself. I understand where you're coming from, but I also don't think it's nearly as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.

I honestly hope that the Warzone team doesn't think this way, because I think you're vastly underestimating the monotony created by reusing these structures.

Yes, there are differences in gameplay created by the surrounding geometry. These differences are far outweighed by the similarities though. The hiding places, the nade spots, the paths through the structure, the visual design, all of these elements are front row center during one part or another of EVERY Warzone game.

I doubt we're going to agree on the severity of this problem. But be honest, if 343 announced that they were done re-using the armories and core buildings from the maps they've built so far, tell me you wouldn't breath a small sigh of relief?

343's solution here would receive the same reaction from any gaming community. It's not unreasonable to expect new spaces for new maps. I say this while fully acknowledging that they are making the best of the situation, engine, resources, etc. From an outsider's view of their strategy though, there is lots of misallocation and missed potential.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How have I blamed anyone in the community for this?

I love how you act like you KNOW exactly what was done and why.

It's almost as if you worked at 343 and have an idea of what's going on there.

Let's be honest here guys. A lot of us here don't give a shit about the truth unless it's what we want to hear and it's extremely obvious that it's painful and pretty cringey to read. But continue to leave your tinfoil hats on and thing "But that's what he wants us to think" every time Heytred speaks

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Not sure if this is the right place for this, just my best guess. Sorry if it isn't. Also, I'm fully prepared to be laughed off of the forums for asking this, but I'm desperate. Can any of you lads help me with this jump up to yellow ledge on Plaza? This shit has been besting me for the past 2 days. Here is a shitty meme and everything...

61295407.jpg

It's almost as if you worked at 343 and have an idea of what's going on there.

Let's be honest here guys. A lot of us here don't give a shit about the truth unless it's what we want to hear and it's extremely obvious that it's painful and pretty cringey to read. But continue to leave your tinfoil hats on and thing "But that's what he wants us to think" every time Heytred speaks

Ok Mr. Generalization :P

Anyone calling Tyler a shill or whatever is stupid; the dudes been part of the Halo comp scene and THC way before joining up with them.

But lets not strawman everyone on Beyond.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I have 200,000 req points right now with everything in my collection in the mid to high 90s besides the armory which is about 85/87% completed. Should I finish it in this update? I want to keep saving for the Reach Skins (Reach Kid) but the blue steel skins look cool for the time being. hmmm

I have 200,000 req points right now with everything in my collection in the mid to high 90s besides the armory which is about 85/87% completed. Should I finish it in this update? I want to keep saving for the Reach Skins (Reach Kid) but the blue steel skins look cool for the time being. hmmm

You still have nearly a whole month before the Reach update, just get what you can now.

The update is 115,000 REQ Points so you probably still won't be able to complete your collection with a decent chunk more of RP.

We also don't know if the Noble Skins will come in the Reach update so no idea.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Not sure if this is the right place for this, just my best guess. Sorry if it isn't. Also, I'm fully prepared to be laughed off of the forums for asking this, but I'm desperate. Can any of you lads help me with this jump up to yellow ledge on Plaza? This shit has been besting me for the past 2 days. Here is a shitty meme and everything...

61295407.jpg

From Yard? You just jump and Stabilize about the same time and clamber up. If you are referring to the jump from Plasma Pistol up there its a bit more tricky.

• Upvote (+1) 1

From Yard? You just jump and Stabilize about the same time and clamber up. If you are referring to the jump from Plasma Pistol up there its a bit more tricky.

Yeah, from yard. The only way I have managed to do it is by jump, stabilize, and go crazy with crouch. Doesn't feel or look right to me.