CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Jeeeez. Anything at the end of it?

Calling cards, skins, etc?

Every 10 (I think) levels you get a prestige icon from one of the past games. Probably a calling card at the end too.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I've never had problems finding games and I've been onyx/low champ since launch. It's literally just high champs I guess. I just think the skill discrepancy from champ to low onyx is too much. Onyx under like 1700 can't hang with champs in my opinion. At least high champs. Low champs are a different story.

So because you could find games it's all good? Because everyone lives where you live?

Even then you have a game of rock paper scissors.

Have you played rock paper scissors for hours on end, daily, for months? No. Either has anyone else.

That's not how you make an enjoyable game.

A game of rock, paper, scissors in Halo is largely due to Weapon placement/frequency. If you make pickups meaningful and able to be contested, then it's your fault for not securing the advantage.

We have issues with RPS now in Halo because of how abundant the autos are and how quickly the respawn.

The DMR is easier to use than the magnum period. It is a straight upgrade in every sense of the word.

Why does making your starting weapons easy to use and weak increase decision making? You're effectively removing them from the sandbox when they are the worst tools for the job in every regard.

You've eliminated one huge part of Halo; the utility weapon. The utility weapon DOES NOT make Halo a one weapon game; Halo 2 and 3 seem to give people this impression. It means you are able to fight back with a strong, hard to use weapon at any time, be it as soon as you spawn or far into one of your lives. This is balance; your power is only handicapped by your skill, not game mechanics.

I'm not talking about the current weapon system, everything I have been referring to was in my OP regarding how the tier weapons should work.

Your starting weapons should be as follows:

1) A UNSC auto weapon that is decent for cleaning up kills but has a suboptimal TTK if all shots land. No headshot bonus like we currently have and a damage dropoff after a certain range. 

2) Magnum. Jack of all trades. Doesn't excel in any particular niche but can help you defend yourself through proper shot placement/strafe/movement to outshoot T2 or maybe even T3 weapons. Quick TTK that is hard to hit, but is generally more consistent than the T2 rifles unless the T2 rifle user has mastered it and has a situational advantage (range, position, skill with the weapon, etc.)

A game of rock, paper, scissors in Halo is largely due to Weapon placement/frequency. If you make pickups meaningful and able to be contested, then it's your fault for not securing the advantage.

You could make that argument but it still makes the actual engagements incredibly shallow and boring. Outside of rockets and other 1sk PWS( which cause map rotation and player movement)there just should not exist "I win because I have X weapon" scenarios.

You can't have hard niches in a game with a two weapon limit. You need a utility weapon that when used to its max potential can still trump niche weapons in their own niches.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm sorry this is off topic, I'm using my phone and it's clunky to find the right place, even if there is a Reach thread.

Do people still play Reach/H3? I gave up on H5 and sold my x1 after the Reach emulation was trash but I'm jonesing for Halo and I prefer the older ones so I'm going to get a 360 so they run properly. Will I still find games relatively fast? Or is it just dead/full of hackers/Mexicans?

Thanks for the games, I added you on Xbox and if you need extra people for WZ/WZA again send me an invite.

Yep np man!

Are you the same Zeezbruh that rebroadcasts the old Halo Tournaments on Twitch?

Yes sir, I'm trying to stream more H5 once I get better hours at my job.

• Upvote (+1) 2

But wait, I've been repeatedly told the game is that way it is because pros like it and if they wanted something changed for competitive sake it would have been already. You mean to tell me they dont have much of a say so at all all?

Shocking.

I'm fairly certain people are on 343's "pro team" for this, not the current pro players.

Were you ever ranked before on your main?

Yep, Diamond 3 was my last ranking I believe.

I believe I saw somewhere that it's difficult to place well on a brand new account initially.... is that the case?

I guess it's just confusion on my end, because I played the best Halo of my life for 10 games (seriously, I'll never have a stretch of games going 34 & 5, 18 & 0, and the like ever again).... and placed four ranks lower than the lowest I've ever placed before that lol

Half of me is looking forward to leveling up my alt though... so I'm only a little salty

Yep, Diamond 3 was my last ranking I believe.

I believe I saw somewhere that it's difficult to place well on a brand new account initially.... is that the case?

I guess it's just confusion on my end, because I played the best Halo of my life for 10 games (seriously, I'll never have a stretch of games going 34 & 5, 18 & 0, and the like ever again).... and placed four ranks lower than the lowest I've ever placed before that lol

Half of me is looking forward to leveling up my alt though... so I'm only a little salty

Ya. It's impossible to place even in diamond on a fresh account now I think. Played on a fresh account this season. Went 10-0 in slayer with a 6.00. Got plat 2. Now I'm diamond 4 with a 34-0 record and a 5.00. I'm not complaining lol.

So because you could find games it's all good? Because everyone lives where you live?

I'm just telling you my personal experience with the matchmaking system. No need to get hostile now. 

*Goes to text-based forum

*Gets mad when forced to read

I'm sure that, that's just a lazy excuse to not agree.

Honestly a lot less bitching than I expected.

Well looks like it got removed.

I'm just telling you my personal experience with the matchmaking system. No need to get hostile now.

Well it helps to try to look at MM as a whole not just at how it works for you.

Just to let others know...this is the new info we're getting that would facilitate the creation of the heat maps.

Basically a list of data like this per game.

{
"Assistants": [{
"Gamertag": "Catfish BiIly",
"Xuid": null
},
{
"Gamertag": "Pixieboiiy",
}],
"DeathDisposition": 1,
"IsAssassination": false,
"IsGroundPound": false,
"IsHeadshot": false,
"IsMelee": false,
"IsShoulderBash": false,
"IsWeapon": true,
"Killer": {
"Gamertag": "blaqh",
},
"KillerAgent": 1,
"KillerAttachmentIds": [],
"KillerStockId": 0,
"KillerWorldLocation": {
"x": -1.32260621,
"y": 7.52320957,
"z": 1.49794471
},
"Victim": {
"Gamertag": "LuminalMist0",
},
"VictimAgent": 1,
"VictimAttachmentIds": [],
"VictimStockId": 3168248199,
"VictimWorldLocation": {
"x": 0.0202423,
"y": 9.204582,
"z": 1.498209
},
"EventName": "Death",
"TimeSinceStart": "PT27.5986499S"
},

I only just messed around with the new stuff, but so far, conceptually no idea how I would map these coordinates to a map they don't even give us (like the blue print of the maps).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well it helps to try to look at MM as a whole not just at how it works for you.

tbh haven't really heard of anyone anywhere else having trouble matching games with the exception of like Australia. Don't know how you're seeing matchmaking as a whole. Is there somewhere to view matchmaking statistics or something?

Just to let others know...this is the new info we're getting that would facilitate the creation of the heat maps.

Basically a list of data like this per game.

{
"Assistants": [{
"Gamertag": "Catfish BiIly",
},
{
"Gamertag": "Pixieboiiy",
}],
"DeathDisposition": 1,
"IsAssassination": false,
"IsGroundPound": false,
"IsHeadshot": false,
"IsMelee": false,
"IsShoulderBash": false,
"IsWeapon": true,
"Killer": {
"Gamertag": "blaqh",
},
"KillerAgent": 1,
"KillerAttachmentIds": [],
"KillerStockId": 0,
"KillerWorldLocation": {
"x": -1.32260621,
"y": 7.52320957,
"z": 1.49794471
},
"Victim": {
"Gamertag": "LuminalMist0",
},
"VictimAgent": 1,
"VictimAttachmentIds": [],
"VictimStockId": 3168248199,
"VictimWorldLocation": {
"x": 0.0202423,
"y": 9.204582,
"z": 1.498209
},
"EventName": "Death",
"TimeSinceStart": "PT27.5986499S"
},
I only just messed around with the new stuff, but so far, conceptually no idea how I would map these coordinates to a map they don't even give us (like the blue print of the maps).

Yeah off the top of my head I think they would have to at least give people the max x,y, and z coordinates of the grid they're using.

played my 10 acement matches this weekend for the new season, i placed plat 1 in slayer. i played all my placement matches solo, generally not talking on the mic but listening to others if they did. one thing i did personally is i stopped sprinting everywhere. i wear a headset, so i was listening for shots fired and constantly looking to where my teammates were. i was basically dealing as much dmg as possible on as many targets as possible, avoiding odd man situations and trying to run side by side with a teammate at all times. per game, my assists were averaging over 10. my kills were probably averaging around 9 per game. a few of the 10 games i was getting above 15 kills, but my assists were insanely good.

so, i noticed that the avg halo player simply doesnt pay any attention to sounds or teammates in fire fights. so many missed cleanup kills it waz ridiculous.

343 should really try doing a weekly breakdown of how to play this game from a very basoc fundamental level. its sad to see a teammate know there's four guys in an area, but will go attack them and create a 1 v 4 and just waste his life and die. this is the casual mindset and it drives me crazy.

tbh haven't really heard of anyone anywhere else having trouble matching games with the exception of like Australia. Don't know how you're seeing matchmaking as a whole. Is there somewhere to view matchmaking statistics or something?

Hordes of people used to complain about being unable to find matches before the MM parameters were changed.

I'm fairly certain people are on 343's "pro team" for this, not the current pro players.

Josh said they tried to contact them around christmas when the breakout scandal happened, but they got deceived apparently.

Here's some of the quality feedback the pro team are giving apparently 

CGgoNWUUQAAAaDR.jpg

@@Sal1ent is 343 really going to the next 4-6 years on Halo pretending to care about our feedback with us keep proving you don't? I mean there's nothing we can do about it so why not.

Man I hope Gears 4 is good, Coalition's been doing amazing so far under microsoft with similar conditions, even their staff be like wtf 

• Upvote (+1) 5