CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I love how Halo 5 has 4 different radar ranges across the game, but 343 can't take radar out of a playlist or change anything else because of the need to maintain universal settings. I'm not even a no-radar player (I'm mostly always solo), but their logic doesn't make sense to me.

Don't believe me?

Campaign default/Wazone radar perk: 40m

Campaign as Tanaka: 50m

Arena: 18m

BTB/Warzone: 25m

• Upvote (+1) 3

To be honest the Plasma Caster is just a more difficult version of the Grenade Launcher. The EMP effect is pretty cool (would be awesome in BTB) but I don't think it would be anything extra special for Arena.

You mean a spammier version?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I disagree. The issue with Halo 5 is that it's trying to satisfy everyone all at once under the same playlist, instead of spreading out the offerings.

Competitive settings, and casual settings need to be different because those settings are made for two very different kinds of players.

Example: Casuals hate how shitty the radar is. More skilled players hate the fact that it's even there.

Under casual/social settings a 25M radar is ideal, whereas the big dogs should be playing without one.

The aiming in this game is rough, but your aim can be just as good as it is in any other Halo. I remember playing against you in Warzone Assault, I got 2 shots on you, then you turned around and 4-shotted me. Your shots definitely good, a lot of it is in your head. I played on 4 sensitivity in other Halos just like you, so our muscle memory should be similar. Try playing on 3 sens 5 accel, that's what I play on and my shot's pretty good.

Haha thanks man I'll give it a shot!

so about the removal of region lock that I keep hearing about, is it official?

confirmed.

Was also mentioned in the community update on Thursday.

To start, we’d like to thank those of you who have provided feedback in region-specific matchmaking threads on Waypoint as well as r/Halo. Earlier this morning, the team made a series of adjustments that should improve the experience and matchmaking speed for players who have been impacted. Hop on and let us know how it goes.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/meridian-awaits

• Upvote (+1) 1

Playing the doom beta this morning.

It gives off a lot of classic Halo vibes. Liking it. Playing an FPS without sprint is a godsend.

It doesn't feel slow or dated. The ironic part is that because it's using different mechanics than everyother FPS that's came out in the past 10 years it feels fresh and new.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Has anyone addressed that the ranking system right now has major flaws?

I literally just placed, like mid 1500 onyx in slayer. Yet I continue to play full teams of champs that are all like champ 20-50. I understand high level champs had problems finding games, but teams of 4 champs shouldnt be matching low onyx searching solo. I can usually climb to like 1900-ish but this is making it impossible unless I run with a full team myself which isn't always possible

There is no reason champs shouldn't match onyx players and even diamond players.

Party restrictions are another thing though.

Halo comp settings have never been the same as default before. Comp halo was never designed to be a vanilla experience either.

I don't think this game has a competitive leg to stand on if you remove the massive prize poll. That's an issue. Using default isn't the way to go imo.

Competitive had always been different than vanilla, and look what that's done for the success of Halo. The amount of splintered settings in h4 and reach nearly killed Halo for good.

People on this forum seem to have the hardest time looking at this from anyone elses perspective other than there own.

Then I suppose it's kind of weird how 90% of other games don't do this and are very successful, no?

What console game does this? COD has differing settings. Destiny does too.

PC games use uniform settings because they're built to be competitive. Halo is not.

Because wins aren't everything. Your kills, your deaths, your opponents kills, your opponents deaths, your MMR, your opponents MMR, etc.

Everything plays a part.

Wins don't matter AT ALL for placement matches. It's 100% kills/medals/deaths etc and based on the rank of who you pay.

Once you place, it's 100% based on wins/loses.

343 detailed it in a post that I'm too lazy to look up.

Wins don't matter AT ALL for placement matches. It's 100% kills/medals/deaths etc and based on the rank of who you pay.

I find it hard to believe wins don't matter at all.

Please link it.

Competitive had always been different than vanilla, and look what that's done for the success of Halo. The amount of splintered settings in h4 and reach nearly killed Halo for good.

People on this forum seem to have the hardest time looking at this from anyone elses perspective other than there own.

Um? What? Look what it did for the success of halo? Up until reach it dominated the console landscape. Mainly because Halo did a fantastic job at appealing to everyone.

Reach and h4 had too many splintered settings. But thats because those games were so terrible to begin with that people just started throwing shit at the wall to see what would stick.

One comp setting off shoot is not going to kill h5. What it may do is grow the comp scene past the 50 people who have a shot at the money and the people watching (but not really playing) those 50 people.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How is this a thing?

Also, can't wait to hear about the sandbox updates, 4SK pistol PLZ Bonnie Ross.

You're delusional if you think they're going to add 4sht pistol. I swear, you people think Team Beyond makes up the majority of Halo players.

Think about all the 80%+ of people below onyx who would get shit on.

Think about how extensive the rebalancing would have to be if the base weapon changed so drastically.

• Downvote (-1) 7

That would depend on your current MMR, ranking from last season, etc. If you were diamond last season and went 4-6 this season in placement you aren't going to drop down to gold.

Um? What? Look what it did for the success of halo? Up until reach it dominated the console landscape.

Reach and h4 had too many splintered settings. But thats because those games were so terrible to begin with that people just started throwing shit at the wall to see what would stick.

One comp setting off shoot is not going to kill h5. What it may do is grow the comp scene past the 50 people who have a shot at the money and the people watching (but not really playing) those 50 people.

That is true, those games were terrible.

I mean, if no radar did grow the scene and didn't mess with casuals, I'd be pumped. I just don't think the causals would capitulate.

That would depend on your current MMR, ranking from last season, etc. If you were diamond last season and went 4-6 this season in placement you aren't going to drop down to gold.

Wins do not matter in placement matches. Only personal performance.

I don't know how else to say it.

@@Cursed Lemon

Will always enjoy a commentary that analyzes Halo with any sliver of depth, nice job.

I agree with the hockey analogy for the most part, but I disagree that the skill-set required to be good at Halo 5 is any more of a departure from the classic Halo skill-set than any other sequel in the series. Also while I understand that you and others do not enjoy watching/playing competitive Halo 5, you have to admit there clearly is a modestly large audience of people who aren't just in it for the req pack.  

Also my definition of balance is that players can find success with multiple playstyles instead of everyone having to play the same way to stay competitive, which I'd say Halo 5 excels in this regard. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

That is true, those games were terrible.

I mean, if no radar did grow the scene and didn't mess with casuals, I'd be pumped. I just don't think the causals would capitulate.

Capitulate to what? Competitive settings shouldn't be created to appeal to casuals. Comp settings should be something that is there when a casual player becomes invested in the game to the point that he/she is no longer a casual player.

Either that or default settings should be highly competitive out of the box. I think that is a harder sell though.

So I make an alternate...... play my placements, win 8/10 with a 2.5 K/D and a 12 KDA... I place Gold 5. What gives? I'm diamond generally

They are also trying to "balance" the placements so more people fill out all the ranks more evenly. That's why the last two seasons were a bit harder to place well.

You're delusional if you think they're going to add 4sht pistol. I swear, you people think Team Beyond makes up the majority of Halo players.

Think about how extensive the rebalancing would have to be if the base weapon changed so drastically.

You'll get shit on if you can't kill fast

This is a competitive concept. Perform or be outperformed

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So I make a comment about wanting 343 to give us a 4SK pistol, and I'm delusional? Is it likely? No, but that doesn't mean that we should shut up about it and not make some noise. If you want something then you actively say what you want, and you fight for it. If people thought like you we'd probably still be running around with jet pack, and armor lock.

I'm never going to shut up.

• Upvote (+1) 7

People below Onyx would also be playing other people below Onyx? Situations in which they would be "shit on" would probably occur with the current Magnum as well? I'm not sure I get your point. It would make the individual skill gap more pronounced, certainly, but that's generally what the ranking system is for.

As for extensive rebalancing. One of the biggest benefits to the magnum buff would be the way that it changes the relationship of that weapon to everything around it (i.e. making it actually viable instead of just barely viable if you never miss any shots). The Magnum buff IS the extensive rebalancing. The only major conflict I can see is potentially with all of the redundant, easier magnums all over the map, but that could be solved by removing the stupid things and is arguably mitigated by their ease of use and superior range.

• Upvote (+1) 3