CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Bullet hose weapons role is short range and cleanup kills. They also take the least shooting skill. Buffing them too much reduces the gap and turns any mid range or closer battle into a spam fest.

I understand that the AR is short range. And the DMR is long range. But at least with the DMR you aren't completely useless and can put up a fight at close range. With the AR you might as well have a baseball bat past like 10 feet.

When I was playing Halo 5 on Truth and my team had car tower and the enemy's had pink I would some times

shoots cross map to de scope them. They would've had to stand still for me to get a kill but at least I could still help my team instead of just standing there.

What we don't actually know, is that H5G is actually a tactical MMO RPG, where you play as the Arbiter as he slays the Brutes. You grind XP by praying to Kevin Franklin and then the raid Bosses are actually Mister Chef in different colours. The Beta was just a ruse

• Upvote (+1) 3

The issue here and what I talked about earlier is that it's very difficult to provide persuasive arguments for "major" changes when at the moment people have only played the game one way.

I wouldn't mind playing a version of the game that just doesn't work for a week as a way of at least eliminating it from further discussion. I would love to try no sprint with thrusters but I have a feeling 343 fear the inevitable outcry from people playing the beta if that were to be tested for a week.

To that I would say that it's very easy to remind people this is a Beta, if people aren't a fan of the changes they've made to the game for that week then the opportunity exists for them to voice it in feedback. If you're not willing to test different variations of your game then you won't definitively know if you're releasing the best possible title you can to the majority of your audience. Although it's certainly possible they don't care.

I agree with this, and I also want to add that I think we played our cards too soon. Yelling "No Sprint" before the beta, and after two days of play, really doesn't help our situation. After the beta, if we yell "No Sprint", they'll think we never gave it a chance and we were just echoing in a chamber of confirmation bias. This makes it hard for them to take our criticism seriously

It would have looked better if we all were chiming that we have/had an "open mind" these past few weeks, and then after playing the game for nearly a month, unified around saying why Sprint, in this game, doesn't work.

This is why I think our criticisms will be taken with a grain of salt, and ultimately why Sprint won't be leaving. 

I agree with this, and I also want to add that I think we played our cards too soon. Yelling "No Sprint" before the beta, and after two days of play, really doesn't help our situation. After the beta, if we yell "No Sprint", they'll think we never gave it a chance and we were just echoing in a chamber of confirmation bias. This makes it hard for them to take our criticism seriously

It would have looked better if we all were chiming that we have/had an "open mind" these past few weeks, and then after playing the game for nearly a month, unified around saying why Sprint, in this game, doesn't work.

This is why I think our criticisms will be taken with a grain of salt, and ultimately why Sprint won't be leaving. 

Could've sworn we already did the "open minded" thing for two entire full game releases. Sure it would have looked better but I think they need to realize H5 is not a clean slate to work with. Its Halo 5We already know what we want/don't want out of a series after over a decade. I think we apologize too much and try to give them the benefit of the doubt for literally no reason. We've been getting screwed for a decade. Its not like it just started happening between H4 and H5 and we should give it a try or something.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bullet hose weapons role is short range and cleanup kills. They also take the least shooting skill. Buffing them too much reduces the gap and turns any mid range or closer battle into a spam fest.

Let's be real - aside from the PR (and arguably the AR) in CE, automatics have never had a role in the sandbox.

The problem with the AR in 5 right now is that the kill time is too close to that of the BR/DMR - miss one shot and you're dead vs an AR. I'd rather they nerf the damage than make it useless at anything past close range. Giving the AR a chance to fight back at mid range isn't a problem if the precision weapons have a clear advantage. Unless precision weapons are only accurate when using smart scope, I couldn't really care.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I understand that the AR is short range. And the DMR is long range. But at least with the DMR you aren't completely useless and can put up a fight at close range. With the AR you might as well have a baseball bat past like 10 feet.

When I was playing Halo 5 on Truth and my team had car tower and the enemy's had pink I would some times

shoots cross map to de scope them. They would've had to stand still for me to get a kill but at least I could still help my team instead of just standing there.

I think the problem is assuming AR is a starting weapon. It shouldn't be. Trying to buff it to be one throws off the balance I mentioned.

what are we going to do 6 months post release when -2 people are playing this game? Tell 343 we told you so? Laugh? Cry?

Play mcc :)

• Upvote (+1) 3

what are we going to do 6 months post release when -2 people are playing this game? Tell 343 we told you so? Laugh? Cry?

I doubt that'll happen. Seems like H5 will have a decent ranking system and it sounds better than Reach and H4.

But as someone suggested, Play MCC

I hate his posts man..

Hide his posts then. It'll save you the pointless arguments in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Could've sworn we already did the "open minded" thing for two entire full game releases. Sure it would have looked better but I think they need to realize H5 is not a clean slate to work with. Its Halo 5We already know what we want/don't want out of a series after over a decade. I think we apologize too much and try to give them the benefit of the doubt for literally no reason. We've been getting screwed for a decade. Its not like it just started happening between H4 and H5 and we should give it a try or something.

Yeah, but this kind of reasoning is the exact kind of thing I'm talking about. 343i believes it has balanced Sprint and changed it enough (or at least can tweak it to make it work when the final game launches), they aren't going to listen to feedback from people who said "No Sprint" way before they got their hands on the game, or played it 2 nights, and never gave the new version a fair chance. 

I'm with everyone here, it would have been nice if the game didn't have a beta with Sprint in it. But the truth is, if you're 343i, would you really think that this community gave the mechanic a fair bid in the beta? It'd be the last place I'd come for non-biased feedback. 

I think the problem is assuming AR is a starting weapon. It shouldn't be. Trying to buff it to be one throws off the balance I mentioned.

I agree that AR shouldn't be a power weapon but 343/Bungie seem to disagree. If I had total control of Halo the AR would be a power weapon about as powerful as the Saw and with its old 60 round mag, but I doubt that would ever happen. 

I'd just really like to know how they decided the "Herp Derp™" should become a feature.

I never understood the point... Why not just Thruster Pack-melee and let it deal the same damage or whatever? It's the same exact thing. And you never leave 1st-person POV. #Immersion

That's what I don't get. They want the player to feel immersed yet a bunch of these abilities pan out into 3rd-person... and it doesn't feel like Halo. It's NEVER felt like Halo. That's kinda why I'm so geeked about Thruster Pack in Halo 5... they're actually doing it right this time.

Calling it now.

Holmes/343s response to all our beta feedback:

"You just dont understand x. Here's why its actually works"

Or

"The rest of the community thinks its great"

Or " no one here at 343 has ever articulated why xyz doesn't work with halo so there is no reason to think it can't."

Some of the things they have said recently only serve to indicate to me atleast that they are over their heads with halo.

Eh Last episode of 'The Sprint" was definitely the weakest. Hope they continue the series like they seemed to hint at though.

I seriously enjoyed watching The Sprint as much as anything else that is semi-documentary involving video games.  I wish there was more episodes and I wish more companies would do these type of videos.  Just watching the different stages of the game is really amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 1