CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Just watched the video again and it got me thinking about map remixes. I'm not sure how I feel about it at the moment. If it means we're getting roughly the same amount of maps as in previous Halo games, but less variety this time around due to some of them being almost the same thing, then I don't like it. If it means that we're actually getting quite a lot more maps than we usually get in a Halo game and are still getting at least as much variety, then I like it.

Same with Crossfire. WIth Crossfire being specifically for Breakout, I will like this if it means more overall maps in the game so that each gamemode has maps designed carefully for them. If it simply means the same amount of maps overall but fewer maps that can be used in different gamemodes, then I wont like it.

I feel pretty much the same.

I've played several games, casual and competitive, that had five versions of the same map to choose from along with all the other original maps.

I don't mind this.  What I DO mind is if all those maps are replacing more original maps, instead of just being bonus maps to play on.

If Halo 5 ends up having 4 Midship remakes, 4 Empire remakes, and that's it, I'm not even going to consider touching the MP.

That's actually another thing I have against console shooters.  On the PC, I can play on hundreds of maps in the same game for free.  On a console shooter, you get like 10 by default then you have to pay for more.

I completely agree that this is at least one reason people do this. I think there is a second reason too, and this reason has applied to me in the past. I think people genuinely want to love every Halo game, and so when things go wrong, it's easier to convince yourself that the changes are good than it is to face up to the idea of Halo no longer being as great as it was.

The thing that makes me think people aren’t simply putting trust in the developers, though, is the fact that they only begin to act like Halo was previously broken once it's actually been changed. It's the instant excuses that are made.

Oh yeah I see. The reason people claim that CoD specifically is the inspiration for a lot of Halo's changes, even though CoD didn't invent any of the features, is due to CoD being the franchise to beat right now. It's the one with by far the most popularity. There may be some really obscure indie games out there that have all the same features that Halo shares in common with CoD, but it wouldn't make sense to claim that those games were Halo's inspiration when there wouldn't be any financial reason to take the features from lesser known games like that.

That's where the CoD comparisons come from. It's definitely not the same as claiming CoD invented those features.

Yeah i guess so. I did that with Reach and H4. Except i didn't make excuses about the mechanics already in the game, i kept making the excuse that the developers would fix the problems before the game was released. Or at least customs and their empty promises would fix the game. I stopped putting my faith those ideas. Even if customs are great that doesn't exactly help the competitive scene grow. 

I agree with the indie games statement. However Crysis isn't an idie game. It's a game published by EA. I realize it's not as popular as CoD, but just because it's not as popular doesn't mean the game doesn't exist. Kill streaks and poor map designed is what killed Crysis 2 for me. 

I also agree that because CoD is so popular that even if CoD didn't "create" those ideas themselves, that it being so  popular it almost makes them "new". 

Just watched the video again and it got me thinking about map remixes. I'm not sure how I feel about it at the moment. If it means we're getting roughly the same amount of maps as in previous Halo games, but less variety this time around due to some of them being almost the same thing, then I don't like it. If it means that we're actually getting quite a lot more maps than we usually get in a Halo game and are still getting at least as much variety, then I like it.

Same with Crossfire. WIth Crossfire being specifically for Breakout, I will like this if it means more overall maps in the game so that each gamemode has maps designed carefully for them. If it simply means the same amount of maps overall but fewer maps that can be used in different gamemodes, then I wont like it.

Well we complain about all the h4 maps being trash and we (I use that term loosely) forged midship how many times?

I can't blame them but it seems almost like they don't have any innovation for quality competitive map design any more than the forging community.

Lack of creativity can result in lack of immersion.

Oh, and just FYI, just because other shooters did something before CoD did doesn't mean a damn thing. CoD is the popular title that features those mechanics prominently. Their presence in CoD is the reason 343 is stealing/implementing them for their game. This can easily apply to art style and aesthetics as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This isn't relevant to anything but oh my god I'm laughing my ass off.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/add-climbing-in-halo-5/7c49c0fc-822f-4d28-b464-0c1f4783120d/posts?page=3#post50

The legend lives on.  Sammy confirmed to be 343I employee.

You linked the wrong post.

But.

tfw a shootin sammy idea turns out to be cool

This isn't relevant to anything but oh my god I'm laughing my ass off.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/add-climbing-in-halo-5/7c49c0fc-822f-4d28-b464-0c1f4783120d/posts?page=3#post50

The legend lives on.  Sammy confirmed to be 343I employee.

Lmao. I totally forgot the Sammy suggested Clamber all that time ago. I remember he also used to talk about how dated Halo was without ADS. Just goes to show who is really being catered to in this community.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Start at the top. Sammy started the thread.

I guess he can say he told us so... Lmao...

Ah. The link went straight to Royal Guacamole's post so I thought that had some significance that I wasn't seeing.

I wasn't around for Sammy's reign of terror so yeah. Nice to know whose opinions 343 really values though.

From r/halo, in response to me saying that having a narrative team work on backstories for multiplayer maps is pants-on-head ********:

Many, if not all, of Halo's multiplayer maps have had narrative connections to the universe, even if they're only fleeting. Having a team there to double-check that the map fits the game's lore is a necessity, as not having that in place (even if it was just guys from other departments instead of a dedicated team) could result in maps that make no sense being in the Halo universe. Bungie and 343 have both been taking care to make sure the maps fit in since at least Halo 2, and even the more outlandish maps in CE still had some sort of narrative connection.

I have chest pains. The pure, unbridled stupidity of that post gave me chest pains.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

First, everyone copied our online FPS founders, Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament. Anyone saying otherwise is blashpemy.

Second, Shootin Sammy is a troll account. What's hilarious is that one of his troll ideas actually made it into the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

From r/halo, in response to me saying that having a narrative team work on backstories for multiplayer maps is pants-on-head ********:

large.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have chest pains. The pure, unbridled stupidity of that post gave me chest pains.

What issues do you have with the maps having lore behind them? As long as they don't affect the map itself, it seems like a non-issue.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What issues do you have with the maps having lore behind them? As long as they don't affect the map itself, it seems like a non-issue.

Everyone has an issue with everything because fuck 343!

Does the last episode of the sprint come out today?

Yup, 3 hours to go.

None. I don't care if some random guy takes 5 minutes to slap together the obligatory "ONI scientists used to work here until the slenderman came along and killed them" or "ships refuel here" backstory. But putting together a *team* for this shit while Halo 5 needs all hands on deck and MCC is still a ways away from being worth the money? That's fucking ridiculous. It's just one more indicator of how 343 just does not fucking get it.

• Downvote (-1) 4

None. I don't care if some random guy takes 5 minutes to slap together the obligatory "ONI scientists used to work here until the slenderman came along and killed them" or "ships refuel here" backstory. But putting together a *team* for this shit while Halo 5 needs all hands on deck and MCC is still a ways away from being worth the money? That's fucking ridiculous. It's just one more indicator of how 343 just does not fucking get it.

This is an example of a clueless statement.

That's not the only thing the narrative team does. I'm sure 99% of their efforts go the campaign.

Narrative team responsible for networking confirmed

• Upvote (+1) 3