CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It baffles me when I hear people say this, let a lone believe it. 

Yes, games "take stuff" from many other games - but if you played ANY COD:AW, you will be amazed at how much 343 took from the game and applied it to H5. 

People will disagree with you because the timing means they probably didn't take the features from CoD, but the point you're getting at is still relevant. And that's that the two are strikingly similar in many ways.

I don't think Halo 5 directly copied from AW, but I do think that both developers were jumping on what they thought was going to be the new style of generic gameplay to make money off of, after seeing the hype for Titanfall when it was new and shiny. It's the same questionable move, but just a different game that they were looking to for inspiration.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just browsing through another Halo site and in the space of 3 minutes I've already seen people claiming that the rocket launcher re-design was needed because the old one wasn't "militaristic" enough. And I've already seen people claiming that it was necessary to include tighter spread on zoom/ADS because old Halo was "unbalanced" without it.

Literally anything can be done to the game, and there is a certain group of people who will act like Halo always desperately needed the changes. Astonishing... absolutely astonishing...

And now I've just seen some people defending Clamber by saying that trick jumps didn't take any skill anyway, and that Clamber adds skill because it's another aspect to learn.

I'm just... I.. Urgh.

That's a problem Halo has. It's so diverse. What defines Halo to one person, might be the polar opposite for somebody else.

Another problem is when people start making claims like "trick jumps didn't take any skill anyway, and that Clamber adds skill because it's another aspect to learn". That's just ridiculous and those kind of comments are the reason why we have Reach and H4. It's not because " the competitive community wanted THEIR game".

• Upvote (+1) 2

People will disagree with you because the timing means they probably didn't take the features from CoD, but the point you're getting at is still relevant. And that's that the two are strikingly similar in many ways.

I don't think Halo 5 directly copied from AW, but I do think that both developers were jumping on what they thought was going to be the new style of generic gameplay to make money off of, after seeing the hype for Titanfall when it was new and shiny. It's the same questionable move, but just a different game that they were looking to for inspiration.

Here's the thing. CoD:AW isn't original. Stuff that's in AW with thrusters and all that, Crysis had that. How could these game developers not know of the existence of Crysis 2?

Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 was first. Quit giving AW all the credit. CoD takes credit for everything just because they're a popular title.

Titanfall looked a game made for casuals right from the get go. H5 looks a lot better. H5 has a better chance of being a fun AND competitive game. Titanfall only had the chance of being fun.

That's a problem Halo has. It's so diverse. What defines Halo to one person, might be the polar opposite for somebody else.

Another problem is when people start making claims like "trick jumps didn't take any skill anyway, and that Clamber adds skill because it's another aspect to learn". That's just ridiculous and those kind of comments are the reason why we have Reach and H4. It's not because " the competitive community wanted THEIR game".

But what annoys me about it is that we never see lots of people complaining about these things until they're actually changed. When did anyone ever complain about the old rocket design? When did anyone ever complain about scope not tightening spread? And yet when it happens, people suddenly act like Halo was broken without those things. I just find it really annoying because it comes across to me like these people are more concerned with praising everything 343 does than they are with just being real.

• Upvote (+1) 5

And notice how the new rocket design looks a lot more generic and CoD-like than the original design.

12ee455c09d92e7794275e675af2a225.png   607efa022a1d754c2d27b5683b922300.png

No he didn't but okay

Lol

No penalty to hip fire in H5, no movement penalty when scoping/zooming, no flinch. Tune in for the beta gameplay reveal at #HaloFest Monday.

Yes he did but okay

Lol

This was what he tweeted right when leaked gameplay of ADS came out. Don't you think he might have been referring to while in scope? No obviously 343 lied to us. They wanted just sneak flinch in with out us knowing it right? Damn, to bad about that 3 week beta otherwise they would have gotten away with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

No penalty to hip fire in H5, no movement penalty when scoping/zooming, no flinch. Tune in for the beta gameplay reveal at #HaloFest Monday.

Yes he did but okay

Lol

This was what he tweeted right when leaked gameplay of ADS came out. Don't you think he might have been referring to while in scope? No obviously 343 lied to us. They wanted just sneak flinch in with out us knowing it right? Damn, to bad about that 3 week beta otherwise they would have gotten away with it.

No penalty to hip fire in H5, no movement penalty when scoping/zooming, no flinch.

How do commas work?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yes he did but okay

Lol

He said No Flinch following that. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's the thing. CoD:AW isn't original. Stuff that's in AW with thrusters and all that, Crysis had that. How could these game developers not know of the existence of Crysis 2?

Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 was first. Quit giving AW all the credit. CoD takes credit for everything just because they're a popular title.

Titanfall looked a game made for casuals right from the get go. H5 looks a lot better. H5 has a better chance of being a fun AND competitive game. Titanfall only had the chance of being fun.

Hmm? I'm not sure you've fully understood the conversation we were having there. I wasn't claiming that AW is original, or that Titanfall is a competitive game (not sure how you took it that way lol). Unless I've misunderstood you.

I'm saying 343 seem to have gone with where they (rightly?) thought popular FPS games were all going to go after the hype of Titanfall. And AW has done exactly the same thing, which is almost certainly why there are so many parallels between the two games, even though Halo wont have taken those features directly from CoD.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So that makes it better?  343 still did nothing original and only took more crap no one wants from other games because "its relevant" in todays FPS market (which based on its popularity, is centered on the COD series and what they do).

Whether you want to compare AW and H5, or Crysis and H5, or Banjo Kazooie, to me is irrelevant and the outcome is the same. 

343 did not listen to us at all, and pretty much has spit in our faces in hopes of roping in the cash cow COD mechanics mixed with the "Halo" title that is already of proof of purchase success for release day. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

But what annoys me about it is that we never see lots of people complaining about these things until they're actually changed. When did anyone ever complain about the old rocket design? When did anyone ever complain about scope not tightening spread? And yet when it happens, people suddenly act like Halo was broken without those things. I just find it really annoying because it comes across to me like these people are more concerned with praising everything 343 does than they are with just being real.

Yeah that's a good point. Those trick jump videos were popular in the Halo community. Now that clamber exists those videos are just meh now?

Naw i don't think it's that. People truly believe that the developers always know best. It makes sense to think like that since 343i(or any other developer) are the ones actually designing the game. Of course just like in real life as you get older you realize your parents didn't and doesn't know everything. 

Also some people are just to think for themselves or think at all. There's a lot of sheep out there and that's never going to change.

Halo copy's Cod

Battlefield copy's Cod

Crysis cop's Cod 

Cod copy's Halo 

Cod copy's Battlefield

Cod copy's Crysis

Guys stop acting like Halo is the only game that does this. When Halo was popular you get Republic Commando. When Battlefield was popular you get Battlefront.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

And your point is? Yes Halo's designs aren't the most original in the world but there is still no point in changing the Rocket Launcher, a design that is iconic to Halo and has been in every Halo game. It's like changing the design of the AR to this, sure its more realistic but no one likes it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd challenge you to show me any modern Pistol or Assault Rifle that looks like their Halo counterparts.

Point is there's no reason to change iconic weapons into more generic looking versions.

I'd also argue the BR was more inspired by experimental tech like the XM8 than any common military rifle, but that's just me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like im going to be playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Halo 1-3 for the rest of my life because no good games are coming out on console :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like im going to be playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Halo 1-3 for the rest of my life because no good games are coming out on console :(

Time to join the PC master race

• Upvote (+1) 1

No penalty to hip fire in H5, no movement penalty when scoping/zooming, no flinch.

How do commas work?

So what's more likely, that Holmes didn't know flinch was in the game he had been developing for years, or that maybe he meant no flinch in regards to know flinch while zoomed like Halo 4? 

Nah he was just lying to us, right? 

Are you saying that the BR was generic and therefore it's not bad that the rocket is being taken in that direction? With the BR design looking like a standard real life gun, as opposed to a sci-fi weapon, it happened at a time when modern military shooters weren't yet the big thing that every game was trying to copy. The BR design at that time was just a single part of the game where they'd decided to go with a simple military design, whereas the new rocket design in Halo 5 is part of a wave of changes that all lead in the direction of making Halo much more like every other modern shooter. I don't think it's at all the same situation.

Correct me if I misinterpreted your post.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what's more likely, that Holmes didn't know flinch was in the game he had been developing for years, or that maybe he meant no flinch in regards to know flinch while zoomed like Halo 4? 

It can be taken either way. 

You could always tweet him for clarification.

U so salty

Wouldn't be the first time a 343 rep lied to us

"Halo 2 just like you remember it! Ranks and dedicated servers!"

Besides, there shouldn't be any variation of flinch in halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hmm? I'm not sure you've fully understood the conversation we were having there. I wasn't claiming that AW is original, or that Titanfall is a competitive game (not sure how you took it that way lol). Unless I've misunderstood you.

I'm saying 343 seem to have gone with where they (rightly?) thought popular FPS games were all going to go after the hype of Titanfall. And AW has done exactly the same thing, which is almost certainly why there are so many parallels between the two games, even though Halo wont have taken those features directly from CoD.

I only brought that up because of stuff like "Halo is stealing/taking from CoD", etc. It's almost implying that CoD were the ones that came up with those ideas. I'm just tired of CoD getting credit for shit they don't deserve. I just wanted to get that out there.

There's probably influence from those games. To completely deny that idea would make me delusional. 

Nope, remixes use similar themes and some shared geometry, but they are new designs and maps altogether.

(Regret is the Midship that takes place on the crashed Halo ring, looks like a jungle)

Yeah I watched the Sprint episodes this morning. It's a cool concept, but from what I saw, they changed the layout so much, it would have been better if they made a new one. A dev even says in the video that they weren't expecting to change the map as much as they did.