CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

H3 BR was projectile. This is hitscan like H2. Unless you're outside of RRR, all 3 bullets will count as damage, even if only 1 really hits.

I'll be honest I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just saying that it looks like the Halo 5 BR currently has spread, maybe comparable to the H3 BR.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I'll be honest I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just saying that it looks like the Halo 5 BR currently has spread, maybe comparable to the H3 BR.

RRR = Red Reticle Range

With hitscan, any shot where your reticle is red registers damage on the opponent. With projectile, the opponent only takes damage if the bullet actually hits them after traveling through the air. So with hitscan, spread isn't really an issue unless you're outside RRR.

Hey, is the new reticule style ruining this for you guys as it is for me? It is smaller and also I swear it's higher up on the screen than it normally is in Halo. It really harms the "Halo feel" to me.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Funny how "we can't change it because players expect it now!!1" applies to fucking sprint, but apparently not to the rocket launcher that's been a franchise icon since 2001.

Or any of the other x1000 changes that has been made to the franchise. ADS? Cool. No Gandhi hopping? Why not. Power-ups? Fuck em. Sprint? Must have.

Its like what Walshy said, nobody gives a flying fuck when they buy Halo whether or not it has sprint, that is not a deciding factor at all whether they buy the game or not. I am starting to think its merely there for the "immersion" effect like Josh Holmes said, and if true that is putting immersion over gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Or any of the other x1000 changes that has been made to the franchise. ADS? Cool. No Gandhi hopping? Why not. Sprint? Must have.

Its like Walshy said, nobody gives a flying fuck when they buy Halo whether or not it has sprint. I am starting to think its merely there for the "immersion" effect like Josh Holmes said, and if true that is putting immersion over gameplay.

I'm like 99% sure that Josh Holmes either doesn't know what immersion means, or doesn't think *we* know what immersion means (and can't find out for ourselves thanks to the power of the internets). I can think of a ton of things that would improve the "immersion" of the multiplayer experience that don't involve sprint, thrusters, or any other bullshit borrowed from some other popular FPS. In fact, they'd be almost entirely aesthetic. You don't need to fuck with functionality to improve immersion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

hard point is just king of the hill with no respawns. Breakout is slayer with no spawns, something plenty of shooters have done, so I don't see why that automatically makes it a comparison to CoD

Fine, not a comparison to COD alone - but the fact that they claim this is some grand new "innovation"

It is not, just like you have said. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Look, I'm all for anti-CoD elements, but c'mon. When's the last time an actual new gametype has been invented in a shooter? SnD and Hardpoint in CoD are just iterations from other gametypes from Quake/Battlefield/UT/CS or whatever. Saying that 343 is copying CoD's gametypes is lazy criticism.

Ok, you are 100% correct - I used "COD" because that is what is most prevalent at this given time. 

But sure, I will say the same thing I said to someone else.  there is nothing "innovative" that 343 is doing.  Like you have said, they have just taken game types from many other games. 

Oh come on you can't be serious...

Holelee sheet

A rocket launcher looks like a real life rocket launcher. CoD has gametypes. They must have invented that too? CoD is revolutionary 

And notice how the new rocket design looks a lot more generic and CoD-like than the original design.

Surely Cod invented rocket launchers and guns themselves. 

Yeah I'll say CoD effected Halo in some way. So has Halo effected CoD. 

Sure Halo has sprint which is probably towards the CoD community. We don't have to over analyze every element of Halo 5 to CoD. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nothing he says here is untrue. It's only out of scope when you encounter flinch (It's terrible) and there is no penalty to movement.

He said "no flinch" and there is flinch

• Upvote (+1) 1

Surely Cod invented rocket launchers and guns themselves. 

Yeah I'll say CoD effected Halo in some way. So has Halo effected CoD. 

Sure Halo has sprint which is probably towards the CoD community. We don't have to over analyze every element of Halo 5 to CoD. 

Surely you must see that there's a difference between comparing Halo to CoD, and claiming that CoD invented rocket launchers.

Just because CoD and Halo have effected each other before does not mean that it was necessary or beneficial to change the rocket design to something much more generic. It's not "over analyzing" for me to notice and to dislike this pointless design change to something which was visually unique to Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yah man, cause hardpoint has never been in a halo game before......

lol

Comparing this game to COD is the laziest comparison ever and is just some twitch chat nonsense. COD doesn't have a shoulder charge, or a ground pound, or shields....

So adding new elements all of a sudden makes it Call of Duty? Halo 5 is nothing like Call of Duty. Halo 4 was, because they added custom load outs and perks, but this game is even starts, and that is why it is already a ton better than 4. But keep comparing two games that have little to nothing in common.

AW has ground pound.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Surely you must see that there's a difference between comparing Halo to CoD, and claiming that CoD invented rocket launchers.

Just because CoD and Halo have effected each other before does not mean that it was necessary or beneficial to change the rocket design to something much more generic. It's not "over analyzing" for me to notice and to dislike this pointless design change to something which was visually unique to Halo.

First the music, then the art style, then the mechanics, then the canon, and now this.

It's like its suddenly a cardinal sin for Halo to actually resemble Halo.  Like 343I believes they aren't allowed to keep anything.

I'm very annoyed by the change to say the least.

• Upvote (+1) 8

It definitely is a pointless change but I don't see how CoD could have effected the change. 

It definitely is a pointless change but I don't see how CoD could have effect the change. 

I'm saying that it reminds me more of Call of Duty (and other generic modern shooters) than the previous rocket design did, which to me is certainly not an improvement. Whether or not they were trying to make it specifically like something CoD players could identify with, I still don't like how much less like Halo it has become. That's the same for a lot of things in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

For everyone saying Halo 5 is nothing like COD (AW) you must have not even played COD.

It baffles me when I hear people say this, let a lone believe it. 

Yes, games "take stuff" from many other games - but if you played ANY COD:AW, you will be amazed at how much 343 took from the game and applied it to H5. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It baffles me when I hear people say this, let a lone believe it. 

Yes, games "take stuff" from many other games - but if you played ANY COD:AW, you will be amazed at how much 343 took from the game and applied it to H5. 

If you compare the games side-by-side the mechanics are practically the same.

• Upvote (+1) 2