CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

What weapons you referring to when you say this? Because aside from Warzone i find the sandbox pretty balanced tbh.

The insanity that is the autos.

Underpowered pistol and the weird two tiers of precision weapons.

Literally everything about the sniper

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The insanity that is the autos.

Underpowered pistol and the weird two tiers of precision weapons.

Literally everything about the sniper

The sword giving you a movement speed bonus.

One thing I'd be curious to hear their thoughts on is the fact that we see games increasingly focusing around 'achievements' (for lack of a better word). They dangle a carrot in front of our face (REQ's and ranks are good examples of this in Halo) hoping well keep running after it, while seemingly ignoring (at least AAA games) the old school approach of making a simple but addictive core experience. Why do developers take that approach? What is it about Halo (especially the first 3) that hooked people on it? How does Halo get 'that thing' back (assuming they agree it's been lost)?

I really like this, probably the best topic so far

• Upvote (+1) 1

im sick of pistol shots not registering for one or shots before they start connecting. It's happened far too much for it to just be the internet's fault

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know what else makes other communities look awful? 

Dem upvotes... Halo 5 needs LAN

343 have joined Blizzard in the practice of developing games for esports while also excluding LAN functionality.

At least on PC they have the whole piracy excuse (though that's still no justification). There is no excuse for it not to be present in Halo.

Wooooooooooooo another video!

Remember my criticism though :kappa:

That I'm awesome and don't need to change a thing? 

:holmes:

• Upvote (+1) 4

Whats everyones bets for tomorrows/todays HWC Announcement?

Obviously we may finally see the Rules and Casters, and I'm hoping we get a cleared look at he second HWC Pack (Protector Armour, ne emblemn skins, Assasination?)

I love this thread and enjoy reading your "shitposts". Keep this thread alive.

Nobody forces me to be here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That I'm awesome and don't need to change a thing? 

:holmes:

Works for 343.

Whats everyones bets for tomorrows/todays HWC Announcement?

Obviously we may finally see the Rules and Casters, and I'm hoping we get a cleared look at he second HWC Pack (Protector Armour, ne emblemn skins, Assasination?)

The location :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does the DMR shoot faster than the pistol or is it a placebo effect?

Yes, just another reason why the pistol is dropped. Why use it when you can use something that fires faster, has longer range and a hell of a lot more magnetism.

Yes, just another reason why the pistol is dropped. Why use it when you can use something that fires faster, has longer range and a hell of a lot more magnetism.

figured.

i'm in the "make the pistol a 4 shot" camp now.

figured.

i'm in the "make the pistol a 4 shot" camp now.

Without even thinking about the other weapons, the pistol should be a 4sk. Ideally, the pistol would function similar to the Light Rifle where it would be a 5sk unscoped, but a 4sk scoped. Of course you would have to increase the scope zoom so people arent zooming in super close, but yeah.

The pistol isn't a problem at close to mid range, but it's absolutely horrible at range. Pair that with thrust being used to escape, it's shit for a starting weapon.

Then you throw in the other weapons and the fact that the pistol has the worst average kill time in the game. The light rifle would actually be the best starting weapon, IMO. But like I said, first and foremost the pistol needs to be a 4sk regardless of the strength of the other weapons. The other weapons make it even more apparent. The fact that it's a struggle to kill someone thats out of position across map without help is pretty lame.

One thing I'd be curious to hear their thoughts on is the fact that we see games increasingly focusing around 'achievements' (for lack of a better word). They dangle a carrot in front of our face (REQ's and ranks are good examples of this in Halo) hoping well keep running after it, while seemingly ignoring (at least AAA games) the old school approach of making a simple but addictive core experience. Why do developers take that approach? What is it about Halo (especially the first 3) that hooked people on it? How does Halo get 'that thing' back (assuming they agree it's been lost)?

I believe that it is easier for AAA devs just to copy eachother than taking risks of going back to old roots. Not that I agree with that mentality. And I believe that this trend is supported by some publishers as they want to make as much money as "safe" as possible. I believe what hooked and still hooks people to original trilogy is its "easy to access hard to master" -gameplay plus it is not like most modern FPS-shooters with ADS & Sprint & useless gimmicks and first shot first kill-gameplay.

And for Halo 3 I believe that part of its greatness was huge amounts of gamemodes & customgames and implimentation of forge & theater at launch.

How you could possibly think the weapon balance in H5 is anything short of pure shit.

Its just my opinion. Every weapon has its niche/use. I agree that in FFA the storm rifle needs a bit of adjustment but in Team arena/slayer everything is fine to me. Why do think the weapon balance is pure shit?

Its just my opinion. Every weapon has its niche/use. I agree that in FFA the storm rifle needs a bit of adjustment but in Team arena/slayer everything is fine to me. Why do think the weapon balance is pure shit?

So adjust the Storm Rifle in FFA but nothing else? With the Storm Rifle being adjusted, at least promethean weapons (bar the scattershot as its basically a shotgun) shouldn't make the multiplayer, even if its on just the arena side. A lot of weapon "balance" is rubbish. Automatics shouldn't become decent at mid range to the point its quicker to pull that out instead of attempting the 4shot BR/5 shot pistol kill.

Why do think the weapon balance is pure shit?

it's not pure shit but its not the balance a lot of a seasoned Halo players want to have in a Halo game..

Halo used to be about one utility weapon, which was a versatile allround tool.

I wouldn't say its more demanding really is it? Mind you i suppose one could argue the definition of demanding? Having to maintain the cursor on target?.  I think the TTK on Ar is 1.06 seconds isn't it?. Now my maths is pretty crap but thats 11.25 bullets a second the AR can spew out and its 12 - 15 shots to kill so i imagine 12 shots is 1.06 seconds. That means you would need to connect with every shot to achieve that speed of killing someone once the enemy is out of that effective range the Br just nails it. An AR seems to be a close to mid range weapon at most. If my target is in the effective range of my Ar and he is trying to Br me he should only win if i miss my shots through his superior movement or something like that. If i have a Br in its effective range against a guy with an AR the Br will win if i connect my shots and even then i can miss one burst and still win the same can't be said for the AR its a pain to kill at a long distance with it but that's how it should be.

The thing mostly everybody ignores is that in order to succeed, you don't just have to maitain the cursor on target, you also have to time you shots right...

let's say you are a really good player and manage to keep your aim on the enemy for about 80% of the time a fight lasts, if you time your shots bad so you only shoot within the 20% timeframe in which you cursor is not on the enemy, you lose.

This whole "pacing skill" is what makes precision weapons more skillfull and what is not needed when using automatics..

sure you can start with the whole "oh well you need to burst fire in H5 and the Storm Rifle overheats so quickly" but tbh, that is a whole lot of BS, burstfiring is only needed for mid-long range (I got AR kills from snipe brigde to rockets on coliseum...) but most engagements happen in a short-mid distance due to the maps layout/sightlines

plus youÄre making the mistake of comparing the AR, the weakest off all automatics, with the BR,a map-pick up and the easiest of all precision weapons..

I think the best way is to buff the pistol to a 4sk, the shorter TTK would balance the easy-as-fuck automatics

I find it funny that people are just now coming around to the realisation that the pistol is shit when I knew that before the game even launched...

"Just now"

Did you read the last 200 pages or nah

• Upvote (+1) 1