CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The more I see of Halo 5 the more it reminds me of my ex, sometimes she can can be amazing (equal starts, nading weapons, descoping, nerfs on sprint) but other times she does or says the craziest shit ever (ground pounding, sprint being in the game in the first place, scopes on automatics) and I'm just like "why the fuck am I going out with you".

Hopefully the beta proves me wrong, the game certainly has a skill gap but some of the stuff in it makes my head hurt at the moment.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The more I see of Halo 5 the more it reminds me of my ex, sometimes she can can be amazing (equal starts, nading weapons, descoping, nerfs on sprint) but other times she does or says the craziest shit ever (ground pounding, sprint being in the game in the first place, scopes on automatics) and I'm just like "why the fuck am I going out with you".

Hopefully the beta proves me wrong, the game certainly has a skill gap but some of the stuff in it makes my head hurt at the moment.

You switched handedness?

I have some things to point out too but first off I have not played the beta. And in addition I play Halo mostly for campaign, only a few games online every second weekend or so. But due to one of my friends who is a really competitive guy and goes to lans etc I got into MLG/Comp Halo. I really enjoy watching Halo teams play - its so intense and entertaining!

So here are my thoughts from a viewer standpoint and I understand - without viewers there wont be many tournaments and stuff

(I also prefer classic Halo but Im always open to new things)

Abilities

- Sprint: I dont even like it from a viewer perspective. The maps are so big I often saw people just running around to find someone to shoot. I remember watching Heretic matches and there was always action - on truth there are only gunfights on the two towers (if there are any at all)
And peeps running away makes it even worse

- Thruster: Amazing! Really entertaining if they used it in theire battles. Make it that you can shoot and its perfect! I also like the idea of hold a button for a full thrust and tap the button for a shorter thrust. -> I can see sick oneshot outplays with thruster strafe :D

- I dont mind Ground pound and that tackletingy  - its a nice gimmick imo and looks cool :P

- Clamber: Uhm... Whats the point of it at all? I know Im by far not pro but I still know what a so called ARENA shooter is about: Being able to shoot at any time on even on faster movement ;).

It doesnt looks like Halo anymore, same for that other map, could be a COD map too with all those pipes, cables, windows, corners etc. Thats one of things I always liked about Halo - its minimalistic design. It was so unique and not like every other shiny game out there :(

- I havent seen someone using slide once lol

Weapons:

- Automatics seem pretty strong even at longer ranges (which is good for noobs like me :D )

- Watching a sniper looks boring again like in Halo 4. Not as bad anymore but still. Halo 3 looked the best imo. Seems pretty easy again in H5 and on top of that: y do I still have to carry around a portable microwave?

- The new sword looks like the old sword just huge and shines like a mini sun lol

- Gunfights overall looked entertaining!

Sounds:

I love the weapon sounds and the audio overall. A bit too much beeping is going on tho! I couldnt even figure out what some of it is for.
The announcer: Is he on drugs? I love the way he was in H1 to Reach. Now hes not stopping screaming hyperactive stuff at me lol.

What leads me to the medals:

Why did 343 change something so iconic? I know almost every medal in FIVE Halo games (H1-3,Reach,ODST). But in Halo 4 I have no Idea which medal is for what. Same in Halo 5. They look all the same and the fact that I have to read the text to know what I got pared with the fact that there are way too many of them makes me not even look at them anymore. :(
For example the "Kill" medal. I mean you are playing a Shooter. The point is to kill other players. Why do I get a reward for doing something I am supposed to do?
Or the weapon medals like "sword kill", "sniper kill", "grenade kill" - I know how I am killing someone while doing so, I dont need a medal telling me: "Hey you killed someone with sword cool eh"? "Yeah I know I was camping in the corner with it waiting for him to come around and then stick that long shiny bone right in his back - y are you telling me that?"
"Hattrick" and "Perfect Kill" are annoying as fuck. If you watch good players you will hear "Haaaatrick" and "Puurrrrrrrrrrrfect Keeell" twice a minute!
I like the HCE medal for example or the Hail mary one! More of those and a lot less of the other ones. I dont deserve a medal for doing stuff I am supposed to do in a Shooter game!

Thats all I had in my mind right now - I hope they will consider this too even if its just from a viewer :)

PS: I know a lot of it is negative. But the things I did not talk about are good and can stay as they are - so I dont need to give feedback on it ;) Im sure I forgot some stuff but yeah have a nice day all!

PPS: The game looks really fun overall but I have to admit - not much like Halo anymore :(

(Sorry for any English mistakes)

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If they were ever going to try no sprint now is the time to do it and I think they should.

It's easy to have unsubstantiated claims that something will improve the game but that also makes it easy for them to say we have no basis for the argument because we don't know what would happen with no sprint.

If this is meant to be a true beta then I'd like to test the game in as many ways as possible, and thrusters with no sprint is definitely something I want to try. Hell if it plays like crap I'll admit it, but at least I'll know it's crap.

I'm pretty sure I've heard they are doing more beta's after this, I wish they would at least make one of them no sprint so others can see there is no issues.

H5 looks fuck all like COD, why do I keep reading this shit.

H4: Halo Visuals, Lots of of COD Gameplay elements.

H5: Destiny/AW Visuals, More Halo gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't have to fully function like CoD in order for comparisons to be made. It's things like spartan chatter and aim down sights that definitely make it seem like it's becoming more and more like CoD.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Didn't you know? Every game that has anything that looks like ads is a CoD clone.

It doesn't have to fully function like CoD in order for comparisons to be made. It's things like spartan chatter and aim down sights that definitely make it seem like it's becoming more and more like CoD.

Yeah, but it plays fuck all like COD so ya know.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If someone can only describe something by comparing it to something else, that's a pretty definite sigifier of low intelligence. That's the average Halo fan for you. Not to discredit their opinion, but the argument of "X looks like Y" is so lazy and context-dependent that it ends up meaning absolutely fucking nothing and achieves even less.

• Upvote (+1) 5

longer engagements of the game. 

That's the issue. The BR shrinks the gap between the shortest and average kill times because it's naturally easier at inflicting the finishing shot. Especially when we're playing with hitscan weapons. And in the name of retaining the BR's "identity" you want to effectively shrink that gap even further!

It's just a fact that the pistol in Halo 5 is a much, much more demanding weapon to use effectively than the BR. All BR starts will do is enforce teamshooting yet again because a player won't be able to leave an engagement without being susceptible to an easy 1-2 burst cleanup. If this Halo is supposed to be built for eSports then I hope it leaves more room for individuals to express themselves in the gameplay and build fanbases than with a Sniper Rifle.

Also, your Lightning Gun comparison is not good. The Sentinel Beam is the closest we have to a Lightning Gun corollary and obviously the game's movement and health systems don't make its applied function anything like that of the Lightning Gun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't understand how it looks more Destiny/AW-like.. Besides of the red dot sight on the BR, I can't find any similarities.

In regards to sprint, myself I hated the idea of sprint in Halo 5. I always have since halo reach, however when I actually got to play the early beta this past weekend I was very surprised to see that sprint was balanced and actually worked well! It gets you around to places quick at the start of the game but from that point it is barley used against decent players due to your shield not recharging when you sprint. Many times it was caught out sprinting with low health and I got punished, which is fucking perfect! I couldn't be happier with how well they implemented it.

I haven't liked a halo game this much since halo 3... it feels competetive especially with the great ranking system. The only things i would tweak would be slow down the time between being able to boost (bit overpowered atm) everything else is fine. Even the ground pound is not as OP as i thought it would be! It's actually hard to pull it off.

Very happy!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It doesnt even look like a next gen title.

Looks like the same caliber as H4 visuals wise, but with 60fps.   But thats just my opinion. 

COMPLETELY agree - its just Halo with even more COD elements thrown into it. 

Shoot even the "new playlists" are just SnD and Hardpoint

343 innovation at its finest! 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Yah man, cause hardpoint has never been in a halo game before......

lol

Comparing this game to COD is the laziest comparison ever and is just some twitch chat nonsense. COD doesn't have a shoulder charge, or a ground pound, or shields....

So adding new elements all of a sudden makes it Call of Duty? Halo 5 is nothing like Call of Duty. Halo 4 was, because they added custom load outs and perks, but this game is even starts, and that is why it is already a ton better than 4. But keep comparing two games that have little to nothing in common.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Looks like the same caliber as H4 visuals wise, but with 60fps.   But thats just my opinion. 

To be fair, it is 720p. Those textures, the lighting on Regret and the real-time reflections are all pretty impressive. I think it's mainly the light bloom that's the problem.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Shit, Breakout is just Halo 1's Elimination mode with damage turned up. How's THAT for innovation?

Really wish 343 would fuck off with these dumb "new" gametypes. They're all horrible and basically just the bastard children of existing game modes. Every gametype that you need in Halo (slayer, CTF/bomb, oddball, koth, territories, zombies) is already here. Work on something more productive.

• Upvote (+1) 5

hard point is just king of the hill with no respawns. Breakout is slayer with no spawns, something plenty of shooters have done, so I don't see why that automatically makes it a comparison to CoD

Since it seems ok for spectators to chime in, thought I'd do the same.

Sandbox

I love the direction 343 is going in with fast kill times and low aim assist. The closest to CE we've ever gotten, which had the perfect sandbox. Currently the automatics are a bit too strong, but a few buffs on Pistol & BR should fix that.

Pistol - Buff the scope/red reticle distance to be on par with BR. Reduce the ROF slightly, and make it a 4-shot. A 5-shot kill with a 12-shot clip simply takes up too much ammo for a utility weapon. Smart-scope looks good though.

BR - Buff the firing speed for a slightly quicker kill time. Reduce the aim assist slightly; it's much easier to use than Pistol or DMR. Change the smart-scope look - it ruins the BR aesthetic. 

DMR - Seems perfect right now, should only be the best weapon at long range. Smart scope animation is way too big, and sort of ugly.

AR - The shield damage to health damage ratio seems out of whack. Buff shield damage, nerf health damage. Also, while headshot bonuses sound like they add a skill gap, it's impossible to tell whether you're getting headshots, and is sort of random due to spread. 

SMG - Perfect the way it is. No reason to bring back SAW now.

Prophet's Bane: Love the idea of legendary weapons, but please reduce the brightness a bit. 

Sniper: Increase ROF to CE/H2 levels, and decrease aim assist. Should not be easiest weapon to use.

Abilities & Base Mechanics

Smart Scope - If you're going to keep this over classic zoom, few things have to be changed. Zooming should be instantaneous, no delay. This hurts the sniper the most (the way it is currently). Also, most animations are pretty good/cool but the BR & DMR are just fugly. Maybe bring classic scope with no delay back for traditional scoped weapons, and leave smart scope in for automatics and other weapons. 

Sprint - It should be taken out (won't rehash the millions of threads about why). But if 343 wants to keep it in, they need to allow firing out of sprint, instantaneously. Also, base movement speed should be increased a bit, so increase via sprint is less significant. 

Thruster - Best new movement ability. Should be able to use weapons, except when charging with Thruster. Cooldown should be increased a little. 

Charge - It's fine the way it is, no need for nerf or buff.

Ground Pound - It looks OP, but anyone with situational awareness can easily dodge. Pretty much perfect right now, except for reticle everywhere and lack of Gandhi hopping, though that will be in final version apparently. 

Clamber - Another thing that looked gamebreaking, but the tradeoff seems balanced in practice: crouch jump for speed and ability to use your weapon, clamber for immersion/noobyiness. 

Stabilizers - Edit: Guess I was wrong. See Matclan's response.

Flinch - Why are we even talking about this? It's a terrible/frustrating mechanic for players, and annoying for spectators. My spartan should be strong enough to not flinch when getting shot at. 

Descope - Thank god it's back. However, it shows that classic scope is more immersive than smart scope. Not exactly immersive to keep jerking your arm/weapon up and down every time you get descoped and scope back in. 

Sounds & Visuals

343 has really upped their game in this department. Maps look beautiful, and I like the cartoony/tron spartans. Colors are much better than H4. Few improvements:

- Medals should have a two way toggle; Classic + Modern. Classic would only have multi-kill medals and sprees, Modern would have everything.

- Announcer should have a three way toggle; Off, Basic, & Advanced. Basic would only have callouts, weapon spawns, while Advanced would add in all the bro-fist encouragement stuff.

- Beeping. Way to many different beeps. Bring back classic shield recharge sounds.

- Truth should have a bit more purple. The current shade of blue is a bit dark.

Other things

Static weapon spawns are great, need to happen more often though, and there need to be more power weapons on map.

Powerups should be brought back. 

End-game prance/dance needs to be customizable, GTA style.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Look, I'm all for anti-CoD elements, but c'mon. When's the last time an actual new gametype has been invented in a shooter? SnD and Hardpoint in CoD are just iterations from other gametypes from Quake/Battlefield/UT/CS or whatever. Saying that 343 is copying CoD's gametypes is lazy criticism.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Why does it concern you if Halo "steals" a gametype from cod? Every franchise steals from from one another. I mean have seen COD:AW's Uplink and Halo 4's Ricochet? 

because ppl have opinions that are different from yours

• Upvote (+1) 4

I always said I'd love too play snd in halo :)

with the right maps SnD could be a really fun playlist