CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

There's no penalty to hip fire

There's no penalty to hip fire

There's a bonus to ADS

It's the "ordinance drops aren't random" doubletalk all over again

Instead of having ADS be bad because it slows your move speed it's even worse because this game has descope

It's not like an instant no buy feature to me, but I'm still not happy 343 didn't just come out and admit that it exists instead of take 2 days of the beta for us to figure it out on our own.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There's no penalty to hip fire guys

There's just a bonus to scoping

Sadly everyone on Waypoint is actually using this defense.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Isn't this how scoping has always worked? The cone of spread starts closer to the target? It's only an issue because scope has been added to automatics - it's not ADS.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Beta Schedule was announced the other day on Stream, most of us were busy playing and didn't watch.

Week 1:

Slayer (AR Starts):

• Truth
  • Empire

Week 2:

Slayer (BR Starts):

• Eden (Empire Remix)
  • Regret (Truth Remix) – Fans Vote on what Power Weapon will appear on this map

Breakout (SMG Starts)

• Crossfire (Previously Seen in Footage)
  • Trench (New Map, we've seen glimpses)

Week 3:

Strongholds: Unknown Objective Mode, Fans Vote on a Map that will appear

• Upvote (+1) 5

Wait, what? Are these Forge variants of Empire and Truth?

Think of Onslaught and Amplify as "Remixes" of Midship, This is the same But with Actual mapmaking process put into them.(Such as graphics and base areas instead of removable forge objects.)

Part of me wants more variety, but part of me knows that them focusing on good map concepts and making more of what's good, is, well...good. 

Sadly everyone on Waypoint is actually using this defense.

or they're saying things like,"red reticle range was increased to increased accuracy is justified", or that it always gave accuracy bonuses, which isn't true at all. Both just put a bad taste in my mouth.

To me, the only real issue with smartlink is that it introduces the concept of ADS to Halo. And just how Sprint was only a AA in Reach and was then turned into something everyone always has, I could see 343 going for full cod style ADS later down the road.

However, zooming has always tightened your spread in Halo so the only issue with H5 is that you can zoom in with every weapon. I personally hate the look of ADS as it takes up so much of your screen and I have always appreciated Halo's clean zoom system, but h5's version of ads is way way better than it is in any other fps.

I'll have to play the beta myself, but maybe they should just remove it from smg/ar, speed up the zooming animation and give us a option to toggle between classic zoom and ads look. Make ads look default so the cod kids that seem to be more important than actual Halo fans get what they want, while the rest of us can stick to standard halo zoom.

So no DMR start after all? Also would have been nice to get the exact Beta launch time and closing time with their schedule. I really hope it comes out at 00:01 US time so I can start playing on Sunday.

There's something everyone must understand. A bad thing is a bad thing, even if it was in the first games. Saying that it has always been like this for precision weapons (although, I have yet to see an evidence that proves so), doesn't justify having it. Weapons should be universally accurate.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The SMG is an absolute monster when using the smart link but not so good when hip firing. Needs a nerf. The AR on the other hand, I found the smart scope on that pretty much useless, especially if you're getting shot. Still, the AR is too powerful overall and also needs a nerf.

The AR on the other hand, I found the smart scope on that pretty much useless, especially if you're getting shot. Still, the AR is too powerful overall and also needs a nerf.

I honestly thought they nailed the AR in 4. Would've liked it if they kept it that way.

Why they make two exklusive Maps for the new Mode? Why iam will Not be able to play crossfire or Trench in Slayer? Cause crossfire looks like a good map for that. I know they want that people play the new mode, but hopefully in other betas or final Game they do it also for slayer etc

I want to clarify the function of the smart-link system. There is no penalty to hip fire while using smart-link. It’s really important to us that you maintain freedom of movement, your shots remain accurate, etc. so that we aren’t disrupting the natural movement and flow of Halo.

You can't claim that there's no penalty to hip fire just because spread on hip fire has stayed the same. If spread improves when scoping in, then by comparison, you're punished for not being scoped in. You're doing nothing more than playing with words here.

In the case of automatic weapons (eg: AR, SMG) there is a slight improvement to shot spread while zoomed in via smart-link. However, the obvious trade-off is that getting shot while using smart-link will de-scope you, disrupting any benefit.

That's not a necessary trade-off. You're using the trade-off buzz word because you know people will see it and assume it means something good for the game, even though it doesn't.

A trade-off is something where when you gain one benefit, you lose another. With tighter spread while scoped, you're gaining one benefit alongside another - you're gaining tighter spread, and an increased view of your enemy.

In previous Halo games, if you were descoped, you lost that increased view of your enemy, but you weren't punished with more randomness on your shots. Instead, you were still able to use the exact same accuracy as your enemy, only you'd have to use more skill to get yourself back into a scoped position, and to descope your enemy. You were at a disadvantage, but you weren't punished with randomness.

As I said in the vidoc that we released earlier, we don’t want people to feel like they need to use smart-link to be successful at the game. If you watch our pro team play (and dominate) you’ll see them switching back and forth between hip fire and smart-link, depending on the situation and range to target.

Well then it sure is odd that you have included tigheter spread while scoped. 

Again, you're using a buzz word (balance) to try to sell this idea to people. Balance doesn't mean making weapons closer to each other in terms of range. A game with a load of weapons that are effective at many different ranges isn't unbalanced, and so this thing you claim to be a balancing act simply is not.

Automatic weapons naturally require less skill to use than weapons such as the BR and DMR, and so it made perfect sense that these weapons were only effective at quite a short range. As soon as they are able to easily compete with mid to long range weapons like the BR, then they're making those longer ranged weapons a little more redundant. 

The improvement to spread helps extend the range on autos slightly while zoomed to make them more viable and balance against precision weapons like the BR and DMR. You will still lose a duel against a skilled player with a precision weapon at range, but with zoom you can more effectively fight back at mid-range or try to descope a sniper (for example).

Firstly, this just simply isn't true, and I know that's a bold claim to make against a developer of the game. I've been watching a lot of Halo 5, and one worrying thing I've noticed is that the AR can easily beat a BR at mid range, even when the BR player is landing all his shots. A lot of the skilled players I've watched were losing a lot of battles at mid range against AR users. Was it possible for the skilled BR user to beat the AR player at mid range? Sure, but the point is that it seems now to be much easier for an AR player - who doesn't have to use as much skill to damage the other player to the same effect as the BR player has to use - to compete at mid range. This reduces the skill-gap and is not a good thing.

Secondly, people who are running around in the open with ARs (or other close range weapons) shouldn't be able to descope snipers easily to begin with. You're fixing a problem that was never a problem. In fact you're fixing something that was actually necessary in Halo.

Why is the game broken if a player running top mid of Valhalla with an AR is unable to descope a sniper who is in the base? It isn't broken. All that has happened is that the player has chosen the wrong tool for the job, positioned himself poorly, and will likely be punished for it. If you felt short ranged weapons like the AR were too weak in Halo, then you should have increased their power within their intended range.

What you're doing is reducing the skill-gap and pretending to be fixing problems that were never problems. You'll never win over the competitive community by doing this.

@Sal1ent

• Upvote (+1) 7

So I just watched the latest Sprint episode and it's honestly the worst one yet. I was so excited to finally hear from the Sandbox team and all they showed was how they modeled the new rocket launcher. I would have loved to hear them talk about why they implemented which Spartan Ability, why they chose to add a new kind of Rocket, what changes they made to existing Halo weapons, how they came up with melee lunge ranges etc. pp.

Dude I stopped listening to the #WeBack nonsense back when H4 was released. 

From what I have seen from the H5 Beta so far - It just looks like Advanced Warfare and Halo had a baby - (COD gameplay and Halo kill times, yes I could get more specific, but all the details have already been discussed - so I would rather paint with a broad brush right now)

I want to believe that Halo will be back, but 343 literally took H4 and added more COD crap to it.  Just because you hire "pro" players to test your game (who clearly have no say in it's design) mean absolutely nothing.  

Our voices have been SCREAMING, loud and clear since Reach - but time and time again, Halo gets worse and worse.

Not sure what else there is for us to do at this point. whether all of us here in the forums choose to not buy the game, 343 will still make their money off of the rest of the 400,000+ people that will buy it.  

When that happens, they will call the game a success, we will read the headlines "Best Selling Halo Game In History!"

then the cycle begins again, rinse and repeat. 

Yeah I completely agree.

Now that I've left my feedback, I've given up hoping for a good Halo multiplayer at this point. 343 just doesn't have what it takes. I'm just waiting for Campaign and Forge now.

• Upvote (+1) 4