CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So I was playing WZ Assualt with Frosty, Royal 1, Royal 2, and Snakebite last night. We were on offense so we have to capture the bases. We literally steamrolled through the defense so bad we finished the match in 2 minutes 31 seconds LOL. If you guys don't believe me, I took a screenshot to prove it. :simms:

http://i.imgur.com/0WCka90.gifv

Holy fuck man, killzones exist for a reason. How hard is it for them to get this shit right? Put killzones were you dont want players to be. Its quite fucking simple yet there's exploits all over this game, like holy shit.

To be fair, there are kill zones, just not as many. 

The issue is the invisible blockers were somehow broken after the Hammer Storm update, allowing people to just walk through them.

So mentioning negative aspects of other games somehow makes splinter nades less shitty? They are energy drains on steroids. It's a proximity based explosive that 1hk and it stays on the map for like 10 seconds. It's terrible. And as far as CE went how do you not know what weapon someone has? There are only like 5 weapons in the game lol.

i think he was just referencing that people treat it like some issue that never happened

And in h5 each map has like 6 weapons max (I think). Splinters like 1-2 areas. If you are pushing a point of the map with storm rifle spawns or splinters, stop doing that.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Welcome to modern game development, where the cost of generating new high fidelity art assets is so high that it becomes a requirement to constantly reuse them.

They have created a good amount of art assets during SP development, they just need to start using some of it for MP as well...

having some more Genesis/Sanghelios/Sunion maps would to so much good

• Upvote (+1) 1

I never understood the hatred for splinter nades in H5.

Let's take a look:

- Halo CE: You NEVER had an idea of what kind of weapon someone had in their back pocket.

- Halo 2: Now you have a sword that comes out super quickly with a MASSIVE lunge. Did I mention infinite uses?

- Halo 3: Okay cool, we can now see what weapons people have in their back pockets... DID I JUST GET STUCK AGAIN? (Equipment being even worse in the sense that you never knew what people had... HERE COMES THE BLUEBERRY BOYZ.)

Halo Reach: Bungo did an amazing job with flying spartans and invincible, projectile reflecting, Tim Tebow bros.

- Halo 4: Down some shots? It's okay, Boltshot time bby B)

- Halo 5: Splinters.

Literally every Halo game has had issues with presenting information regarding things people can trade with/counter being down shots.

Some of the changes would be so simple too:

- Whenever you have plasmas or splinters, there is a respective model and glow on your hips.

As someone that relyed largely on visual inputs at a competitive level for WoW arena, (Never played with sound) I would configure my UI to provide me with as much visual information as possible regarding my opponents.

This practice in shooters would give players that have a particular attention to detail a way to formulate their strategies to a specific encounter. One of the things that I really enjoy about H5 is how the shotgun and scattershot both have telltale visual cues that say, "Hey, I can fuck you up if you get close."

Having that in a shooter is paramount imo.

Holy strawmen.

Visual cues are only half the issue with splinters. They're just too powerful.

Holy strawmen.

Visual cues are only half the issue with splinters. They're just too powerful.

Another OP thing in the game that I'm averaging 0.3 kills/game with.  I have to be doing it wrong.

Humorously, I use them a lot as a counter to those Spartan Charging assholes everyone was complaining about for 2 days.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

I just played CTF on Deadlock and one of my teammates quit, one was AFK for a while, and two were high (they were sure to let everyone know just how fuckin' high they were, man!). I got 74 kills and 10 assists with damage dealt going over 9000 and we barely tied 1-1. I tried getting another cap but the guy who was with me in their base was in a Ghost and he wouldn't get out of it to drive me...

Maybe he was one of the high ones.  :walshy:

Blame Hofman... ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Another OP thing in the game that I'm averaging 0.3 kills/game with. I have to be doing it wrong.

Humorously, I use them a lot as a counter to those Spartan Charging assholes everyone was complaining about for 2 days.

First off splinters are not on every map so you'D have to alter that Stat. Secondly kills per game is a horrible Stat to use.

Splinters are awesome. If they were in CE I know you guys would say they were a "skillful mechanic" and good for Halo, though it doesn't matter since it'll be denied.

Ok...

#Edit

The video about the art direction is pretty spot on it might be my number one complaint about this game because at this point I don't expect good gameplay decisions from 343 but I do at least expect some good visuals and the game is pretty lacking in this regard.

I acknowledge the campaign environments are pretty interesting like the first time I played the Sanghelios mission I just couldn't understand why the game didn't launch with a map using this aesthetic. Half of the maps we got have the same human theme, shit some of them use the same assets.

I think think the point he makes about Bravo responding to the less human maps criticism speaks volumes about the company its not something they should be reacting to its something they should have identified and fixed before we even knew it was a problem.

A map based on the assets from the Battle of Sunaion campaign mission would be a nice change of scenery. I don't know why but I really loved the assets from that mission.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A map based on the assets from the Battle of Sunaion campaign mission would be a nice change of scenery. I don't know why but I really loved the assets from that mission.

Aside from Riptide everything we have gotten has been pretty bland. There is a ton of assets used in the campaign that could be used for multiplayer maps.

Sanghelios has some gorgeous art design, I wish we had some maps set there.

Aside from Riptide everything we have gotten has been pretty bland. There is a ton of assets used in the campaign that could be used for multiplayer maps.

Overgrowth is pretty good looking. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Hey guys, I picked up an Asus monitor with "built-in external speakers"...will I get better sound plugging my HyperXs into the monitor 3.5 mm cable jack or my Xbox One controller 3.5 mm jack? 

Thank you

Sanghelios has some gorgeous art design, I wish we had some maps set there.

Overgrowth is pretty good looking. 

Overgrowth is good, but the middle is probably the best looking part and it gets used the least.

Hey guys, I picked up an Asus monitor with "built-in external speakers"...will I get better sound plugging my HyperXs into the monitor 3.5 mm cable jack or my Xbox One controller 3.5 mm jack? 

Thank you

Probably the monitor. I would assume going through the controller means that the sound is moving through wireless and there could be a loss in quality.

Though thats just a guess at best. Just try them both out and see what you like better.

We need more covenant maps, seriously, we have two, we also need more forerunner maps, seriously we only have like.....one.

We need more covenant maps, seriously, we have two, we also need more forerunner maps, seriously we only have like.....one.

The more and more they evolve the Forerunner look, the less I like it.

In earlier Halo's it was just so Monolithic and ominous. Now they are trying to make it way to detailed and colorful.

But even that would be better than another UNSC map.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thank you

If I had to guess, the monitor jack would be better but it won't be a game changing difference if you prefer the convenience of having it plugged into your controller.

First off splinters are not on every map so you'D have to alter that Stat. Secondly kills per game is a horrible Stat to use.

They are on a lot of maps.  Fine, triple the number then.  Still 1 kill/game.  Gamebreaking.

Secondly, I can't find my gut feeling = fact stat, what should I use?

The more and more they evolve the Forerunner look, the less I like it.

In earlier Halo's it was just so Monolithic and ominous. Now they are trying to make it way to detailed and colorful.

But even that would be better than another UNSC map.

pretty much every pallette they've touched that was in a previous game has been muddied beyond belief, the only good pallettes are the ones they created from scratch, sanghelios, sunion.
  • Upvote (+1) 3