CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Well I guess that's what happens when the gun is balanced as a power weapon for Warzone.

Which is what pisses me off. They go through all the trouble to add bleedthrough for one specific weapon, get the spread values somewhat accurate, and then they do shit like this where it's hitscan and aims for you.

This isn't the Warzone Super Duper Pistol, it's the Halo One Pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The question I would like to ask is, why are so many people afraid of a classic HCE style game? It's nothing complicated.

1. Starting weapons are an AR (defends at close range) and pistol (defends at all ranges, very powerful)

2. Most maps have overshield and camo, placed far enough apart from one another to allow for more diverse and strategic play, both spawning on static timers

3. Fall damage, this is huge because of the map design and shortcuts you can take...i.e., falling from top dammy to OS waterfalls without dying

4. Grenade jumping, gain height advantages/shortcuts with a risk vs reward mechanic, i.e., you want to gain that ledge, take shield damage to earn it.

5. Each weapon in sandbox is carefully tuned to be a situational weapon, each serves a purpose, i.e., plasma rifle slows players down when hit by it

6. Each map has power weapons, usually two or more that are on static timers

7. Map design is very quake-style, atrium-based usually, asymmetrical and symmetrical, no crazy edges/ledges, things you can get stuck on

I can keep going but these are the basics.

Not to mention, gameplay speed-wise, Halo CE is still the fastest Halo. You watch a good game of 2v2s and the score can go back and forth in a matter of seconds...a 12-kill lead can be destroyed in less than 10 seconds.

It's just like Quake duels, strategically it's like chess, just in FPS format.

There seems to be this fear of going back to that style of gameplay. Not saying make Halo CE 1.2 or part 2....simply saying, if you're going to claim arena shooter status...at least go back to the core principles of what made Halo an arena shooter to begin with.

I think at somepoint though, we veterans have to come to a realization that this is not going to happen anytime soon, the formula has changed far too much and it's psychologically changed player's attitudes, so if sprint isn't in Halo from here on out...it will feel completely foreign to them. Same goes for the aim down the sights cosmetic crap...all these subtle changes become ingrained in people's heads and it's very difficult to change that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

New playlists showing up in the API too.

yKpSjkT.png

The good thing about this is that each playlist has an unique tag, meaning MMR shouldn't carry over between them... so it should be possible to have fun for 20-30 games in each of them.

The bad thing is that social still isn't social.

Either way, what I'm the most excited for is the Reach DLC. I want Noble Six's helmet. I SERIOUSLY hope we also get the grenade launcher back, it would be the best fucking thing ever.

Memories of Reach = return of the falcon 

sounds about right, I just hope it does not mean they remake some Reach maps for Arena...

Firefight is great news though!

what's with all the lightning in profile pics

Exclusive yellow bar club. Apparently Super Saiyan Scooby Doo should be up next.

It's true, though. It's so hard to miss shots with it.

Even the default Magnum is more difficult to use.

What a surprise!

Who could have seen that coming!

If only we had known!

I'm so shocked!

you-think-you-know-people-and-then-they-

• Upvote (+1) 1

Which is what pisses me off. They go through all the trouble to add bleedthrough for one specific weapon, get the spread values somewhat accurate, and then they do shit like this where it's hitscan and aims for you.

This isn't the Warzone Super Duper Pistol, it's the Halo One Pistol.

I don't understand how the CE pistol ended up like this. There was too much hype built up for something that wasn't even supposed to be a faithful recreation of the original. That's all I can really assume.

I watched the stream and Bravo kept mentioning that you can tweet questions. I asked about it being hitscan vs projectile based and for the next hour I listened to him not answer any of the tweeted questions while constantly reminding people to do so. I watched almost 2 hours and only heard him read the question whether he preferred the CE pistol or H2 Br...

I really wish they would state their intentions with us early on, rather than hyping us up for disappointment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't understand how the CE pistol ended up like this. There was too much hype built up for something that wasn't even supposed to be a faithful recreation of the original. That's all I can really assume.

Why bother giving it the old animations and even the old model if it's not meant to be faithful to the original?

• Upvote (+1) 8

Assuming it's in chronological order, Ghosts of Meridian is next. I'm betting on Infection and proper carnage reports/post-game medals.

It's likely named off the Meridian Warzone map which we saw yesterday.

Why bother giving it the old animations and even the old model if it's not meant to be faithful to the original?

I may question decisions in competitive settings, or sandbox balance.

I just can't understand the decision making here. Did they feel it was too hard to re-create? Did they feel it would feel awkward for players to use? Was it not going to function well under laggy situations?

Every single thing regarding H1 after Halo 1 was released (PC port, Xbox 360 backwards compatibility, Reach anniversary, MCC and now the hyped up return of the CE pistol) has just been very disappointing. I know not every instance involves 343. This is how I feel after all these months.

Top-21.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 8

Classic Halo never had an unpopular game, so how can you say that? It might be unpopular if it were made by 343, but if we got a classic Halo game that was done properly, I know damn well it would be more popular than Halo 4/5 turned out to be. Halo 4 and 5's population numbers are absolute proof that people hate 343's gimmick filled versions of Halo. What is the population for Halo 5, like 1/100th of Halo 3's? I don't give a damn what people on forums say negatively about classic Halo because the far majority of Halo players in general have left this franchise long ago...meaning they don't play it, they don't think about it, and they sure as hell don't go on forums to talk about it. Most of the people left in the Halo community are those who enjoy 343's version of Halo, so of course they're against classic Halo.

Halo 6 will be released almost 20 years after Halo CE. The vast majority of the older fans are grown men now, probably with a family and other responsibilities and priorities, and most likely they don't care about video games anymore. Or simply don't have time.
For a classic Halo to be successful today, it can't rely solely on the older fan base. It would also have to cater to the modern and casual audience that usually plays COD, BF and other modern FPS and they have different tastes for games than you. Whether this is possible or not is another discussion.
If you really believe that if the next Halo game is a CE 2, suddenly all of the older fans which are currently grown men or will be by then, will appear from nowhere and start to play and care about Halo and games again, almost 2 decades later, I honestly don't know what to tell you.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You all have some hilarious expectations for the "CE" pistol. Have we learned absolutely nothing from the past, recent and remote?

I'm just going to quote myself here.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Well, Grifball plays exactly how I thought it would. Trade city. It's ridiculous. And with the weird delay between when you melee & when you actually do damage you end up sometimes just dying and doing no damage at all. And the spartan abilities don't feel very good to me especially thrust.

And you can boot betrayers lol.

Also, ball carrier not dying after planting is just dumb. Now you can just spawn camp.