CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I wonder what our medium level surprise is today?   Oddball?   Forge Playlist?   New HSC announcement?  Anyone else have ideas?   

I wonder what our medium level surprise is today?   Oddball?   Forge Playlist?   New HSC announcement?  Anyone else have ideas?   

My guess is a new Halo Wars 2 trailer + release date. 

Remember it's 343 saying they have another "surprise", so don't give your hopes up. 

Classic halo is what the first three games have in common to me. Uniform starts, precision dominated gunplay, uniform speed for all players, not being glued to the map, simple ish arena map design, skill jumps on those maps, weapons on map, being able to shoot unless holding the objective. I feel like I'm missing some but these are the most important in my opinion.

I agree. 343 is missing a big thing here. When you can choose between Halo 1,2 and 3: people will pick what they are mostly used to. They are very similar, and the most basic attributes are shared between them. This means that if you take away Halo 2, they Halo 2 players will either flock to Halo 1 or 3.

If you have Halo 3 and 4, and take away Halo 3, the Halo 3 players will not flock to Halo 4.

Personally in my case I would always quit Halo 1 or Halo 2 or Halo 4 in MCC as I am best at Halo 3. Why should I be punished playing those games when I am gauranteed a 50 in Halo 3?

But if you force me to play Halo 2, I will do it. If you give me no choice, I will do it. I like the game a lot, but I have played Halo 3 so much more I don't wanna get punished for not playing the game in MCC.

If you force me to play Halo 5 I will not. because it's so different.

Another thing is that I would like to play Halo 5 a lot more if the skill gap was higher. I almost poke my eye everytime someone screams "YEAA" when someone gets a no-scope in Halo 5. It's like "That really isn't that hard dude, why are you screaming?".

No scoping in Halo 5 and Halo 3 especially does not deserve the same praise at all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

CE pistol goodness, 3 shot and hitscan but it appears to have 0 or a very small RRR. Also usable in forge/custom games.

Torque looks pretty good.

is it going to have its own playlist?

can it be a starting weapon?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree. 343 is missing a big thing here. When you can choose between Halo 1,2 and 3: people will pick what they are mostly used to. They are very similar, and the most basic attributes are shared between them. This means that if you take away Halo 2, they Halo 2 players will either flock to Halo 1 or 3.

If you have Halo 3 and 4, and take away Halo 3, the Halo 3 players will not flock to Halo 4.

Personally in my case I would always quit Halo 1 or Halo 2 or Halo 4 in MCC as I am best at Halo 3. Why should I be punished playing those games when I am gauranteed a 50 in Halo 3?

But if you force me to play Halo 2, I will do it. If you give me no choice, I will do it. I like the game a lot, but I have played Halo 3 so much more I don't wanna get punished for not playing the game in MCC.

If you force me to play Halo 5 I will not. because it's so different.

Another thing is that I would like to play Halo 5 a lot more if the skill gap was higher. I almost poke my eye everytime someone screams "YEAA" when someone gets a no-scope in Halo 5. It's like "That really isn't that hard dude, why are you screaming?".

No scoping in Halo 5 and Halo 3 especially does not deserve the same praise at all.

halo 3 is also probably the most similar to the original I think, unless I'm missing certain details, but I haven't noticed any degradation in quality of it on mcc, I still enjoy the shit out of it.

Thrust is as bad, of not worse then sprint for me atm. I constantly use it as a get out of jail free card, every game, avoiding punishment. Thruster, coupled with insanely fast shield recharge, is a nightmare to play aggressively against and skill based encounters for me. I feel Ill when I do it, like when I spartan charge.

Its unpredictable, takes heaps of the skill away from juking. Juking in classic halo was about abusing the FOV, and the risk-reward of jumping, timing when to give and when to take from your enemies line of sight. Movement speed was always the same and it came down to the individual to understand and figure out how to out-position their opponent based on things like strafe acceleration and momentum. Being a better player was about predicting better then your opponent. Like a game of chess taking place in a few seconds.

Thruster kills that. It means you have to be in a noticable positional or health advantage to counter it; it being a sudden move in the direction of their choice. It gives players more movement leeway, and makes movement decision way more rink-free. This also compounds onto team-shot Halo where punishment is increasingly harder for only a single player to dish out. For me personally, this sucks balls, and is considerable worse then a game without thruster.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Out of curiosity what defines "Classic" Halo to you guys? Every game in Halo is so incredibly different that honestly the only games with gameplay aspects/fundamentals that are similar are Reach zbns and H2. Even then H2 had a lot of stupid stuff like dynamic weapon spawns that were ridiculous and made the game much more set up based than Reach and the games were really different for a lot of other reasons.

H3 is vastly different than the rest of the halos where it's hand-holding team shot only city. The game was designed for close range battles for BR kills and it forced a lot of moving forward, vastly different from h2 or h1. The weapon spawn system with dirtying weapons and all that were completely different to the rest of the series and weapon spawns are a fundamental aspect of Halo imo.

Halo 4 was just based on positioning as the aiming in that game just made you never miss.

Halo 1 is a completely different beast compared to the rest of the series with it being 2v2 centric, fast ttk weapon. etc.

If your definition of "Classic Halo" is lacking Sprint/Spartan Abilities, there are a ton of factors that make up a game than that. Sure in a casual/semi competitive circle those two would be the biggest deal, but weapon spawns, utility TTK, movement capabilities, etc etc are all much more at the forefront of how a game plays than just Sprint/SAs and labeling Classic Halo as Halo 1-3 is such a ridiculously broad statement I'm not even sure if you know what you're asking for. The games play fundamentally different in almost every aspect of each other and asking 343 for H1-3 is not helping that cause with such broad statements.

classic halo to me ia the core formula that halo ce adopted from quake, but gave it its own unique spin.

that's starting with a utility weapon that can kill at most ranges effectively, and having a secondary that can defend you from close range spawns.

as for the core of the game, classic halo is arena style mapa with multiple power weapons and multiple powerups on static timers.

that's it. nothing else.

the series has definitely derailed from that with each sequel.

the people who say halo 2 is classic or halo 3, simply have never spent enough time with haloce and moreover, hce wasn't their first halo game.

most self respecting halo players who started halo with hce are always going tonrefer to hce as classic halo, the correct halo formula.

all others are just gonna refer to what halo game they first played.

questions like that get you brigaded around these parts son.

well im not up to date with 343 bs, so a simple yes or no will suffice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

well im not up to date with 343 bs, so a simple yes or no will suffice.

We can use it in customs, and forge, I'm just referencing the beyond bs that occurred over the course of yesterday.

The last time Frankie said they had a medium surprise, they announced the Halo 5: Guardians name and that placeholder box art, confirming that in wasn't releasing in 2014.

Expecting a Halo Wars 2 trailer.

Out of curiosity what defines "Classic" Halo to you guys? Every game in Halo is so incredibly different that honestly the only games with gameplay aspects/fundamentals that are similar are Reach zbns and H2. Even then H2 had a lot of stupid stuff like dynamic weapon spawns that were ridiculous and made the game much more set up based than Reach and the games were really different for a lot of other reasons.

H3 is vastly different than the rest of the halos where it's hand-holding team shot only city. The game was designed for close range battles for BR kills and it forced a lot of moving forward, vastly different from h2 or h1. The weapon spawn system with dirtying weapons and all that were completely different to the rest of the series and weapon spawns are a fundamental aspect of Halo imo. 

Halo 4 was just based on positioning as the aiming in that game just made you never miss.

Halo 1 is a completely different beast compared to the rest of the series with it being 2v2 centric, fast ttk weapon. etc. 

If your definition of "Classic Halo" is lacking Sprint/Spartan Abilities, there are a ton of factors that make up a game than that. Sure in a casual/semi competitive circle those two would be the biggest deal, but weapon spawns, utility TTK, movement capabilities, etc etc are all much more at the forefront of how a game plays than just Sprint/SAs and labeling Classic Halo as Halo 1-3 is such a ridiculously broad statement I'm not even sure if you know what you're asking for. The games play fundamentally different in almost every aspect of each other and asking 343 for H1-3 is not helping that cause with such broad statements. 

C.E, Halo 2

classic halo to me ia the core formula that halo ce adopted from quake, but gave it its own unique spin.

that's starting with a utility weapon that can kill at most ranges effectively, and having a secondary that can defend you from close range spawns.

as for the core of the game, classic halo is arena style mapa with multiple power weapons and multiple powerups on static timers.

that's it. nothing else.

the series has definitely derailed from that with each sequel.

the people who say halo 2 is classic or halo 3, simply have never spent enough time with haloce and moreover, hce wasn't their first halo game.

most self respecting halo players who started halo with hce are always going tonrefer to hce as classic halo, the correct halo formula.

all others are just gonna refer to what halo game they first played.

Yeah this is sort of what I'm getting at. I don't really care what games you liked, if you liked h3 cool but labeling that h1/-h3 are all classic Halo is such a HUGE umbrella it doesn't really help anyone. If we were just using h1/h3 as classic Halo we could have completely different games we envision. Saying classic Halo is through some subsets that are super broad (equal weapon starts for example) doesn't help anyone when it comes through communication to devs.

Halo 2 plays like nothing and is tbh, pretty alien to Halo 1 in competitive play. Static spawns are huge and not present in h2, the team shot necessity was a bit higher, its 8s mainly, everything is set up based, etc etc

We can use it in customs, and forge, I'm just referencing the beyond bs that occurred over the course of yesterday.

using it and making it a starting weapon are two different things.

which is it?

using it and making it a starting weapon are two different things.

which is it?

it CAN be a starting weapon, WILL it? Lol absolutely not.

Here is an example of what I think "classic" Halo should play like...

watched briefly.  You know what I liked about it? 

No clamor.    No sprint.   No thrust.

Yeah this is sort of what I'm getting at. I don't really care what games you liked, if you liked h3 cool but labeling that h1/-h3 are all classic Halo is such a HUGE umbrella it doesn't really help anyone. If we were just using h1/h3 as classic Halo we could have completely different games we envision. Saying classic Halo is through some subsets that are super broad (equal weapon starts for example) doesn't help anyone when it comes through communication to devs.

Halo 2 plays like nothing and is tbh, pretty alien to Halo 1 in competitive play. Static spawns are huge and not present in h2, the team shot necessity was a bit higher, its 8s mainly, everything is set up based, etc etc

id have to do a podcast to explain the quake likeness because id say 99% here dont know a thing about quake 3 and how hce is very similar to it.

try explaining that to 343. their response will be, "but... accessibility."

• Upvote (+1) 1

id have to do a podcast to explain the quake likeness because id say 99% here dont know a thing about quake 3 and how hce is very similar to it.

try explaining that to 343. their response will be, "but... accessibility."

Sometimes I feel that 70% of Halos community actually fights back against getting classic Halo. Just from all the people on Waypoint, Reddit, Neogaff.

Sometimes I feel that 70% of Halos community actually fights back against getting classic Halo. Just from all the people on Waypoint, Reddit, Neogaff.

This is probably going to be considered blasphemy around these parts but I'd rather play H5 than the rest of the series.

Edit: Cooper with the lightning fast neg! I'm mildly impressed.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Semantics. It's clear that hce, h2 and h3 share similar core pillars that differentiate them for reach, h4 and H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is probably going to be considered blasphemy around these parts but I'd rather play H5 than the rest of the series.

Idk. For some stupid reason people around here don't want a true utility weapon to be considered for the HCS/Starting weapon.