CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Someone I know thought that assissinations animation were montage worthy ...sooo....yeah...some people will be Pissed

*Edit

I was thinking that when we do get the Beta, we try to think it's a bad game already, so we don't go through the whole H4 is awesome for 2 weeks, before people start to realize how crap it is. Where as this time, we can all think critically about it without looking at the beta with rose coloured glasses

Yeah I agree. I think there are two things we should be worrying about that could be potential problems with this "ground stomp" ability.

1, as mentioned above, I hope that we can't simply use it by jumping; I'm hoping that a decent amount of height has to be achieved first, hopfully eliminating the potential for over-use.

2, I hope that it isn't so effective that it's all people seem to use. In the trailer it seems that two blue spartans get completely blown away (suggesting they died?) by the stomp the red spartan did, yet he didn't even come into contact with them from what I saw. I'm kind of hoping that the stomp can only strip people's shields on contact, as opposed to killing them when they're full shields, and I'm hoping that if it doesn't actually come into contact with them but does come super close, then it will weaken them quite a bit as well as pushing them away in the same way that a grav hammer blow would do in Halo 3.

What are your thoughts on how it should function?

Right now there's no way of determining how powerful it should be. If I was to guess, something less than the Gravity Hammer's radius with less damage at range. Instant kill at very close range. But that's for the Halo scientists to figure out.

HOLY CRAP! IT JUST HIT ME. Okay. So think about this for a moment. SA's = Dual wielding/boarding vehicles. Okay. What is required to do both of these things? Press x. 

Now what if SA's are only available to the player when they're in the correct distance/position to use them? Kind of like boarding a warthog or banshee, ect.

Like the thruster back smack from the Beta trailer? You can only do that by pressing x behind them at a certain distance? (Obviously if you're closer you will just melee.)

What about the downward stomp? You have to have a player underneath you and press x when it says to or else it doesn't work. I think that is the best and most fair way to spice up classic Halo gameplay and keep it fair at the same time. 

I'm calling this right now. In 4 months ( or whenever we see gameplay ) I have a feeling this is what we will be seeing. If that's true, then Halo 5 has a lot going for it.

I know this is just a guess, but this seems like the most balanced way to do it, and a skillful way to do it. You can't just spam. You have to position yourself to pull these tricks off.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How do you guys think the ground stomp thing might work? Maybe we have default thrusters or something, and when we are falling if we press thrust and melee (or some other button) at the same time then it will perform the ground stomp? Or do you think it will literally have its own button? I really can't imagine how it will work, but I'm interested in finding out.

I paused the video during the stomp and noticed this.

2ilep0o.jpg

Seems to back up your theory of a thruster pack, has anyone else noticed this yet? Seems to confirm we will have some sort of thruster pack on our back. Maybe the new sprint? You can use it when you jump, strafe, to go backwards, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 7

My take on the story is this after reading the original post.

• Agent Locke is an ONI Agent hunting down Master Chief. Basically a mercenary for hire.
  • The Arbiter will use Locke's intel and expertise to help find Master Chief. Not to hunt him down, but to find him and help him on his journey as they were close companions at the end of Halo 3.
  • If/when those two find 117, then I believe there will be some sort of confrontation between the two sides. Possibly sparking some sort of 117/Arbiter/ally forces vs. Locke/ONI/Prometheans/Rouge covenant.

Just my opinion on the matter from any information I've gathered lately.

This sounds like the route they would take.

Hopefully ONI is trying to find chief to offer him help. Would be a shame to have to gun down a new character in his first game lol. His armor looks tight too.

Master_Chief_Collection_-_Arbiter_reflec

So since everything that went down at E3, we've all been so hyped (understandably) about TMCC that I've not really seen too much about the announcement trailer and what it means for H5's journey. What I'm asking is, who do you think will be the main protagonists and how much do you reckon they'll feature? 

From the screenshot above of the trailer its pretty clear the Arbiter and Agent Locke are working together to find Chief. How much screen time do you think each respective character will get? Could we even be looking at playing as two Characters again (Chief and Locke) or maybe even three (Arbiter)?

Here's an exert from an article that explains the trio's situations in good light.

The trailer opens with a look at the HD refresh of an iconic scene “Halo 2” as Master Chief guides a bomb through space to a Covenant ship. That was a nice play by Microsoft as it ended up actually being the mystery character from the “Halo 5” cover art. Turns out that his name is Agent Locke, clearly an Oni Agent, and he is speaking with the Arbiter and the Elite home planet of Sanghelios.

Agent Locke is the star of the “Halo: Nightfall” live-action series being produced by Ridley Scott. The feature will star Mike Colter from “The Good Wife” as the mysterious Oni agent and lead into the events of “Halo 5: Guardians.” The series is currently being filmed in Ireland and will be included in the “Halo: Master Chief Collection” when it releases on Nov. 11.

The Arbiter helps set the story for “Halo 5” by giving Agent Locke a history lesson and look into Master Chief. He says he does it not because he trusts the mystery character but because Chief is needed to save everyone. A window then opens to confirm that the setting in the key art for the game is indeed Sanghelios.

343 Industries General Manager Bonnie Ross then took to Microsoft’s E3 stage to further break down the story of the next level. She explained that Master Chief became disillusioned after the end of “Halo 4” and his essentially gone off to find out more about his past and find himself.

In a way, it mirrors the “Kilo 5” trilogy of “Halo” novels that dealt with the history of the Spartan II program and Dr. Catherine Halsey’s role. It’s extremely likely the good / bad doctor will likely play a critical role in “Halo 5” which will be interesting given how her story concluded in the prior games’ “Spartan Ops” storyline.

Based on what is known so far, “Halo 5: Guardians” will feature Agent Locke on a quest to find a disillusioned Master Chief whose now trying to walk his own path after losing his closest companion. Locke undertakes the hunt for Chief either at the request of the Arbiter or he approaches the Elite leader for help. The Master Chief is needed to help save the galaxy once again from an unknown threat that is big enough to have the Arbiter willing to work closely with the human.

This leads to a strong question of how the campaign gameplay in “Halo 5: Guardians” will be handled. Will players switch between Master Chief and Agent Locke like they did between Chief and the Arbiter in “Halo 2”? Or, will something or someone else come into play?

Source: http://www.examiner.com/article/halo-5-guardians-breaking-down-the-story-from-the-e3-2014-presentation

I'm hoping for 2 campaigns. One with the Chief and you play as the Arbiter in Co-op similar to Halo 3. And a sort of mini one like ODST where you play as Agent Locke and are basically playing the same campaign, but from a different perspective and some different areas. Also, no flashing back like in ODST.

Honestly I'm excited for Halo 5's story. Now that they've ditched the Cortana 'damsel in distress' storyline in favor of 'MC gone rogue', we might get a more interesting and nuanced story.

Multiple protagonists and multi-threaded story like Halo 2 = :goat:

Someone who went to E3 sent me this regarding "Spartan Abilities" - apparently a 343 employee said this but it is a rumor as I didnt hear it myself.

" Think more like new moves added to the chief's kit. Much like how sprint was added as a permanent ability in H4 "

" It's like a Melee or a jump. Now you'll be able to slide or punch the ground and kill people. "

"I really just asked them to define what a spartan ability was"

• Upvote (+1) 4

Someone who went to E3 sent me this regarding "Spartan Abilities" - apparently a 343 employee said this but it is a rumor as I didnt hear it myself.

" Think more like new moves added to the chief's kit. Much like how sprint was added as a permanent ability in H4 "

" It's like a Melee or a jump. Now you'll be able to slide or punch the ground and kill people. "

I really hope like my example, it's limited to the situation you're in and not just a spam button you can reuse over and over. Even it is reusable like armor abilities, it's still a step in a much better and balanced direction. 

2ilep0o.jpg

Seems to back up your theory of a thruster pack, has anyone else noticed this yet? Seems to confirm we will have some sort of thruster pack on our back. Maybe the new sprint? You can use it when you jump, strafe, to go backwards, etc.

A VERY small but powerful boost would be okay in my mind, it just has to be done properly. Also it can't give you any upward momentum at all, just downwards and sideways.

Weirdly enough, I might be good at this game...

• Upvote (+1) 1

2ilep0o.jpg

A VERY small but powerful boost would be okay in my mind, it just has to be done properly. Also it can't give you any upward momentum at all, just downwards and sideways.

Could be that it's not usable at all in the same way it is in 4. It may be just for the 'ground pound' or whatever.

Well, it doesn't sound good but I'm willing to wait until the beta to see. To me personally, 343i has earned the benefit of the doubt. I'm putting my faith in Dersk, Ghost, Bravo, Quinn, and co. to offer some guidance to balance these new features.... But even if H5 sucks, I'm good for the next few years with CE, H2, and even H3 as a change up. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So they are player traits meaning anyone have them like everyone has a slide? seems to be much better than AA's already (rip)

But that Ground pound shit better not be 1 hit kill....

I'm ok with the idea of a thruster pack as in Halo 4 but the ground pound that does damage I don't really like the idea of that.

2ilep0o.jpg

Ugh my most hated AA now becomes a base mechanic...  I dont understand people who are ok with that. First some hate on Sprint for being cheap etc but this is even more cheap and annoying

Could be that it's not usable at all in the same way it is in 4. It may be just for the 'ground pound' or whatever.

I would be even more okay with this. Similar to an assassination, if you hold RB at a certain height you will be able to thrust downwards.

This is my take on the whole "Spartan Abilities" thing.

1. This is most important, it cannot affect the map movement. Sprint literally killed maps. If this is like a extended lunge on an opponent then that's different.

2. It can't be game breaking. This literally means that you can't use it to get away and stay alive. Spartan abilities should only be able to be used offensively as attacks like the combos in Halo 2.

3. Make it skillful, make it so that if you pull it off you feel good about yourself. Literally there is no gratification from sprinting away, thrusting away, using a hard light shield, jet packing, or any other one of those gimmicks. Whereas double-shotting is so gratifying it literally causes you to jump out of your seat when you use it win a BR battle when they had 1st shot.

4. Listen to us when we tell you they suck in the Beta. Just listen and scratch the idea if over 60% of people on this forum come to the consensus that this is a bad idea competitively. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ugh my most hated AA now becomes a base mechanic...  I dont understand people who are ok with that. First some hate on Sprint for being cheap etc but this is even more cheap and annoying

Thruster pack was nowhere near as annoying as everything else in Halo 4. If they forced at least one armor ability on us, I would hope its this.

Thruster pack was nowhere near as annoying as everything else in Halo 4. If they forced at least one armor ability on us, I would hope its this.

It was this annoying to me... Kids dashing around corners etc... thats not fun at all.

It was this annoying to me... Kids dashing around corners etc... thats not fun at all.

Oh I agree. But I would rather it stay than PV, Spawn Camo, ect. Hopefully, h5's is nothing like thruster though